Michael Jackson's Bad To Be Honored At Pepsi/Billboard Concert

Re: NOW > Pepsi celebrate Michael

There is another thread like this in Bad 25 section. Can we get it merged?

Ok it's way past 3am here in Scotland and I can't handle anymore of this thing. Enjoy everyone, goodnight all!

I'm sorry Michael, you deserves sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than this. :( None of these people seem to be here for Michael and it's really irritating.

Because of Michael's B-Day, VH1 Soul aired this concert from 1977, I'd rather watch it than the pepsi one! :pth:

Im watching it now but it keeps frezzing up on me

Now I know for a fact that Michael could lose five pounds in one day, but when he performed he had attitude, this sorry fellow just does not.

His shirt is getting drenched in sweat, but there just ain't the Michael Jackson attitude!!!

"This song is from my new album. It's not pop, it's like a mixture of pop and soul. It's pop with a twist. It's like Pepsi Twist. By the way, make sure you drink some Pepsi while you're listening to me sing non-MJ songs at what was advertised as an MJ tribute event. Giddy up!"

This looks like another "tribute" mess

I was laughing reading this thread and then checked and I see the show is still going, this is hillarious its some random singers with Bad 25 logos in the background. I can only hope Michael's looking down somewhere having a good laugh at this.

I was paying attention to the videos in the background and muted my sound! Just horrible

I think it's a pretty nice tribute. Cool versions of "Dirty Diana" and "Bad". :)

That wasnt what I expected but All in all I enjoyed it for what it was.. a tribute. Could have done with a little less Neyo though. To much promotioon of his own album. Im not a fan But at least he was honest and said no one can sing Michael songs only attempt them .. He wasnt trying to be MJ - He payed homage and I appreciate that. Im not gonna diss on the acts trying to show love for MJ. We all know that no one can compare. I Cut them some slack for the effort. I wish they would have just played more MJ songs and shown us the screen shots that was the most enjoyable to me. Especially when they were showing the Pepsi chase commercial .. on the Big Screen.

In case some people missed it last night, I just clicked this link http://www.pepsi.com/CelebrateMJ it is still showing the concert.
Replay?

I cannot understand people complaining about how badly other people sing Michael's songs! Isn't that better than other people singing Michael's songs better then himself? Impossible I know, but Michael's songs are very hard to sing, and MJ made his songs very distinctive so there are no singers that can make them sound like Michael did, and thats good.

I would not say Ne-Yo is copy-cat, like I wouldn't go to say Michael was copying Fred Astaire. Michael was influenced by many people, including Astaire and JB, as much Ne-Yo is influenced by Michael. Nothing wrong with that as long as they say where they got their influence, and they will carry on Michael's musical legacy to the next generations.

Last edited:
To me it wasn't about how good or how bad they sang MJ song. It was basically how little MJ songs they sang.

We watched Melanie to do her set, her songs for 40 minutes then she came back and did 2 song Dirty Diana and Bad

then we got a DJ playing MJ's music but there was not really much mixing and such

then we again watched Ne-Yo do a full set - do 3 Michael Jackson songs and then continue with his songs. And yes multiple times he plugged his own album.

The 2 hours I watched had 5 MJ songs and DJ set. It's too little in my opinion.

To me it looked like a Melanie Fiona and Ne-Yo concert that had a little tribute to Michael. It didn't look like a birthday tribute concert for Michael.

The one they re-played only shows Melanie sings 3 songs and 2 of them was Michael's, then Ne-Yo did his bit and 3 Mj songs.
Ne-Yo did more shouting happy birthday than singing MJ songs:)

They did fail to come up with goods as this is what they advertising in their twitter
#MJBirthdayShow & celebrate #Bad25. Click here to catch it again!
From above I would think it will be all about MJ songs and because of that, people from 125 countries came out to watch it.

Definitely they could have Ne-Yo and Melanie sing more MJ songs, but I suppose the concert was kind of pro-advertising/promotional thingy for the real cake, which is BAD 25.

Back