Michael Jackson Sues Julien's Auction/Settles MJ will keep all items

Re: Breaking News: Michael Jackson Sues Julien's Auction/Settles MJ will keep all items

I'm happy for Michael. But I want to know will I still get the catalogue I ordered? I live in the UK.

Re: Breaking News: Michael Jackson Sues Julien's Auction/Settles MJ will keep all items

I couldn't decide whether to put this here or in news. I think some people won't like the article but I do. It is one persons take on the exhibit. I think it is very interesting and reverent of Michael's genius.

http://www.laweekly.com/2009-04-16/columns/michael-jackson-s-julien-s-auction-canceled/
Michael Jackson’s Julien’s Auction Canceled
By Randall Roberts
Published on April 16, 2009 at 9:32am
We know every mole on Michael Jackson’s body, what brand of soda he was drinking when his hair caught fire; we can sing along with every word to a dozen of his songs — and so can a billion others around the world. The King of Pop. He Who Moonwalks. We know already. What else is there?

For many, nothing. The arc of Jackson’s life has been infused with so much awe and/or melancholia and/or disgust that it’s impossible to separate the story from the setting, the props or the soundtrack. There are no surprises left, it seems.

Monday, however, Julien’s Auctions in Beverly Hills opened its doors to preview an astounding array of Michael Jackson memorabilia that was set to be put up for sale on April 25. Past a Rolls-Royce limo parked in front of the old Robinsons-May department store, and on the other side of the red carpet, a vast and awe-inspiring set of Jackson’s possessions was on display. The collection offered a surreal glimpse inside the artist’s world, as close as you’ll get to being in his head during a strange and tumultuous period of his life, when he went on one of the 20th century’s great shopping sprees.

Reading about the objects — the video games, the cars, the rococo statues, the impossible outfits — is one thing. But to pass through mingle among the bounty is, for the pop-culture fan and Americana appreciator, something of a thrill: the glitter gloves and rhinestone caps; the portraits and the wax figurines; custom-embroidered patches; monogrammed brooch sets; custom jackets; Macaulay Culkin original art; Walt Disney and Looney Tunes memorabilia; the Jackson 5’s gold 45s. Multiply that list by 1,000, and you end up a little wobbly-kneed as you peruse the holdings, drunk with the vision of unchecked consumption.

Being the kid in the proverbial candy store sounds fun, but few imagine him a few hours later, lying on the ground, his face smeared with nougat and marshmallow cream, candy corn strewn like marbles, Fanta puddled in the aisle. The auction at Julien’s would have featured the candy corn of Michael Jackson’s indulgence. At Monday’s press preview, camera crews, reporters and photographers from all over the world wandered the huge space with glassy-eyed expressions, many displaying a kind of depth and richness of emotion that rises from all unfulfilled fantasies. That Jackson was suing to stop the auction (even though he’d signed the contracts hiring Julien’s) conferred yet another level of melancholy. Little did onlookers know that by the end of the next day, the auction would be called off after the two sides reached a settlement. The collection, it seems, will remain intact.

Some time in the mid- to late 1990s, I visited the Chicago apartment where the legendary hermitic artist Henry Darger created his visual masterworks. His vast output — mostly watercolors and writings — had been discovered by Darger’s landlord after the artist’s death, and comprised an entire lifetime of creating an imaginary world whose inhabitants were oddly pansexual little girls fighting off monsters and armies. Darger, who lived alone and worked as a janitor, would return to his second-story apartment and spend the nights creating this fantasy world. I toured his space around the time of Darger’s first major show. Stacks of children’s coloring books and 16-shade plastic watercolor trays were spread across the tables. He collected rolled balls of twine, which were piled like cannonballs on a shelf. You could smell the musk of newsprint, dust and worn-out furniture. A solitary chair sat at the main table, which is where Darger would lay his head down to sleep each night after drawing, writing and painting.

Walking through the Neverland holdings felt eerily similar to invading Henry Darger’s room and seeing this very private, magical world. Had Jackson never struck it rich, his fantasies may have manifested themselves much like Darger’s. Touched as he was with imagination, thrilled with the visual feast that is life, Jackson’s creative outlet — consumption — may have been more vulgar than Darger’s but was not nearly as vulgar as that of Elvis Presley, who died with 14 different drugs in his system. If Jackson’s singular collection had been dismantled as planned, an important aggregation of both pomp and circumstance would have vanished. But according to a statement released by the auction house and Jackson’s spokesman, the two sides “have made arrangements that will allow the collection to be shared with and enjoyed by Jackson’s fans for many years to come.”

Until then, perhaps it’s best to follow Willy Wonka’s advice: “If you want to view paradise/simply look around and view it/Anything you want to, do it.”

The writer GETS IT!

I am so glad that Michael retained this stuff. An expression such as this should not be separated. Because once it is separated, it is hard to see and appreciate the collective creativity of the owner....the legend.....Michael. You got to keep this stuff together. It would have been a tragedy to see this stuff scattered across the planet in the hands of mostly rich folks who pull it out every now and then as conversation piece in the privacy of their homes. Neverland may be closed, but it can still be experienced. Thank God.

It would be very interesting to see how Michael decides to share his wonderful museum with us.

This is wonderful news.I'm happy for him. Let him choose what he'll give away at his own pace.I knew he wanted to keep some of the things that meant to him a great deal.I mean something to leave the Kids,Family,Friends. Sometimes we have to let go of the past to move on and sometimes we want to keep a piece of it to reflect on the good times.Great news....Thanks for sharing.

Im so happy and glad for him, yeahh mike will get his stuff bk.

Thanks for the article!

Interesting article ..although it's hard to say what would have become Michael's creative outlet or medium and how he may have evoked his talents had he not struck it this big or famous..

This could be more tabloid crap but I thought I'd post it here anyway...

Who the Hell Owns Michael Jackson's Junk!
Posted May 14th 2009 8:00PM by TMZ Staff

The auction house that was going to sell millions of dollars of property from Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch has filed legal papers, because it seems everyone on earth is claiming they own the goods.

Jerry Hawxhurst, the lawyer for Julien's Auction House filed the papers because there's an ongoing dispute between ***** and his former manager, the mysterious Dr. Tohme, as to who controls MJJ Productions -- the owner of the property Julien's currently holds. The property includes the titles to three Rolls Royce cars.

Julien's is getting caught in the crossfire and doesn't want to give it to anyone, for fear the others will sue the auction house claiming they owned the stuff. So Julien's is asking the court to take control of M.J.'s stuff and decide who gets what.

UPDATE: Dr. Tohme just contacted TMZ. He says he controls MJJ Productions, but says all the auction items are in *****'s name. Tohme tells us he's not trying to claim any of MJ's property.

http://www.tmz.com/2009/05/14/who-the-hell-owns-michael-jacksons-junk/

on TMZ

UPDATE: Dr. Tohme just contacted us again, to say that Michael is the one in charge of MJJ Productions, not him. Sounds like this is reason the papers were filed in the first place.

Radaronline posted something similar..

Exclusive: Michael Jackson sued again...

Michael Jackson is being sued by the auction house that was set to sell of his memorbilia, and the gates of Neverland. The auction was canceled when out of court settlement was reached between Jackson and Julian.

To be continued...
http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2009/05/exclusive-michael-jackson-sued-again

They should just leave him alooneee leave him alooooone!!!

Depending upon whether one wants to believe TMZ, Julien's is not "suing" Michael, they are trying to get a judge to determine just who the auction items should go to. Julien's does not want to be caught in another mess r/t Michael's belongings and whom they should be returned to. Personally, if what TMZ reported is true, I can definitely see why Julien's is trying to legally determine just where and to "whom" to return the auction items.

Read this and see the other side of the story that radaronline is reporting:

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63545

Two Rolls Royces do not count for junk that's for sure!

I sure hope Michael's relationship with Thome is not going sour. This guy works for Colony and represents Colony's interest, which I believe is directly linked the Neverland. I really don't want to see Colony go against Michael and try to take his ranch from him.

Umm i think the stuff should go to michael
as they atre HIS STUFF!! lol

I posted this in the news thread. But I'll post it here since it relates to the topic.

So Tohme has threatened to sue Juliens if they don't give him Michael's things? That stuff belongs to Michael. What does Tohme want with it? I smell something stinky about this. I hope I'm wrong and this is someone's idea of a very bad joke. But it doesn't sound like that somehow.

Back