Michael Jackson Settles case Against Prince Abdulla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momma Shannon

Proud Member
Hey guys we have two news threads filled with the trial info and they are discussing the same thing so lets move our debate/discussion on the trial to one spot and clear out of the news threads :yes:

I'll move over some of the articles too and add them to the first post here. Thanks.

Posting a handful of articles that have been posted feel free to add more as they come out...

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...n-1023857.html

Sheikh 'felt personally betrayed' by Jackson

[/i]
By Stephen Howard, Press Association
Tuesday, 18 November 2008

An Arab sheikh who spent a fortune on a project he thought would revive Michael Jackson's career felt "a strong sense of personal betrayal" when the pop superstar walked out on the deal, a court heard today.

Sheikh Abdulla bin Hamad Al Khalifa, second son of the King of Bahrain, is now suing Jackson for £4.7 million in the High Court in London to get back what he says he spent on the star.

Bankim Thanki QC, representing the sheikh, told Mr Justice Sweeney that his client had formed a "close personal relationship" with Jackson after he invited him, his children and personal staff to stay in Bahrain in June 2005.

Mr Thanki said Jackson had signed a contract for recording albums, writing an autobiography and staging shows in which it had been agreed that 7,000,000 US dollar (£4.7 million) would be deducted from Jackson's agreed royalties to pay for the expenses.

These included, he said, a £175,000 bill for motivational guru Tony Buzan who was flown into Bahrain to work with Jackson.

The star left Bahrain in May 2006 to go to Europe and Japan.

"The last thing Sheikh Abdulla expected was that he was never coming back," Mr Thanki said.

The following month, the sheikh was asked to sign a document releasing Jackson from his obligations under the contract but refused, the lawyer added.

"My client felt a strong sense of of personal betrayal because this was someone he considered a close personal friend. The work they had done together and the plans for the future all seemed to be totally frustrated," he said.

It emerged in court on the first day of the hearing yesterday that the sheikh had sent Jackson songs he had written and had tried to record one as a charity single for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. It was never released.

Jackson insists there was no valid agreement and that the sheikh's case is based on "mistake, misrepresentation and undue influence".
In his pleaded defence, Jackson says the payments he received were "gifts" and that no project was ever finalised.

At the start of a court hearing in London set to last for up to 12 days, Mr Justice Sweeney heard that an application would be made for Jackson to give evidence via video link from Los Angeles.

Sheikh Abdulla is the Governor of the Southern Governate of Bahrain and head of the country's Public Commission for the Protection of Marine Resources, Environment and Wildlife.

He is also the founder of the 2 Seas Group, an entertainment and record production label.

The sheikh is seeking repayment of the £4.7 million and/or damages for breach of contract, plus interest.

Al Khalifa was in court Tuesday for the second day of arguments and testimony, but Jackon is seeking to give his testimony by a video link from the United States.

"It would be unwise for him to travel, given what's he's got now," lawyer Robert Englehart said, but declined to elaborate "for the obvious reasons."

Al Khalifa's lawyer, Bankim Thanki, called the medical evidence presented by Jackson's legal team "very unsatisfactory."

"It's not the first time a sick note has been presented by Mr. Jackson," Thanki said.

Details of Jackson's purported malady wasn't disclosed, but Thanki suggested that the issue could be resolved by applying a dressing "if the diagnosis is positive."

Thanki did not elaborate after the court took a short break for lunch.

http://www.reuters.com/article/peopleNews/idUSTRE4AJ33520081120

Michael Jackson to testify in British court

By Mike Collett-White
LONDON (Reuters) - Michael Jackson will appear in a British court next week to testify in a lawsuit brought against him by a Bahraini prince, the singer's lawyer said on Thursday.
The reclusive 50-year-old pop star is being sued by Sheikh Abdullah bin Hamad al-Khalifa, the second son of the king of Bahrain, who says Jackson reneged on a contract to record a new album and write an autobiography.
He also says Jackson owes him $7 million after the prince paid for his legal costs, travel and other expenses.
Jackson spent time in Bahrain as a guest of the royal family following a 2005 trial at the end of which he was acquitted of child molestation charges.
"He has been cleared by his medical advisers to travel in two days' time," Jackson's lawyer Robert Englehart told the High Court in London.
"Mr. Jackson is intending to travel to this country ... and will be available to give evidence to your lordship." The U.S. singer is expected to appear on Monday afternoon.
Englehart had initially argued that Jackson was unwell and should not travel, handing the judge a report earlier this week on the singer's medical condition.
Bankim Thanki, representing al-Khalifa, said the medical evidence produced was "pretty unsubstantial" and that Jackson had a habit of producing a "sick note" when he did not want to turn up in court.
SHEIKH TAKES STAND
Al-Khalifa took the witness stand on Thursday and faced a barrage of questions from Englehart about his relationship with Jackson and whether he had ever expected to be repaid the sums he paid to the star.
Jackson contests that there was no valid agreement with al-Khalifa and that the sheikh's case is based on "mistake, misrepresentation and undue influence."
In his pleaded defense, Jackson said the payments he received were "gifts" and that no project was ever finalized.
"It would be fair to say that you are, at least by the ordinary standards of the English bourgeoisie, extremely wealthy?" Englehart asked.
"I would see myself as someone who is very fortunate, yes," al-Khalifa replied.
Al-Khalifa said he had originally explored the idea of recording and working with Jackson's brother Jermaine before collaborating with Michael. Continued...

The court heard how he spent $450,000 to fund Jermaine's travel to and expenses in Bahrain in late 2004 and early 2005, and paid for a Rolls-Royce car for him in California.
"You undoubtedly are an extremely generous person," Englehart said.
Al-Khalifa has said he felt betrayed by Michael Jackson.
"Michael is an individual who is very switched on," he said. "He is a fantastic businessman and a fantastic intellectual."
Al-Khalifa said he spoke regularly with Jackson over the telephone in late 2004 and 2005, when the star was on trial, and also worked on songs together including "Light the Way" and "He Who Makes the Sky Gray." Neither was made into a record.
Al-Khalifa wants Jackson to repay him for a recording studio he built in Bahrain where the two were to have worked on new music, but Englehart said the sheikh continued to use it.
The court heard how al-Khalifa gave Jackson $1 million before he met him. Englehart said he had intended it as a gift all along, but al-Khalifa disputed this.
Englehart said that Jackson told al-Khalifa in a letter dated June 22, 2006 that he no longer wished to pursue a project with the prince.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5h9XQU4UEjNoSVIRRaBRU0APtihIA

Rush to watch Jackson in courtroom

8 hours ago
The most exclusive ticket in London on Monday is for Court 73 at the High Court where Michael Jackson is booked to appear in person.
Instead of his usual singing and dance routines, the superstar will have a speaking part when he steps into the witness box to defend allegations that he owes an Arab sheikh £4.7 million.
So great is the demand to see the star in action that the court authorities have issued a limited number of passes to get into the court, one of the largest in the complex.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7744621.stm

Jackson expected to arrive in UK

Michael Jackson is expected to arrive in the UK to give evidence at the High Court over claims he breached a music contract with an Arab sheikh.
It is thought fans will gather to support him, but court officials are issuing a limited number of passes.
The King of Bahrain's son, Sheikh Abdulla Bin Hamad Bin Isa Al-Khalifa, is suing Mr Jackson for £4.7m, claiming he reneged on a music contract.
Mr Jackson contests the claim, saying there was no valid agreement.
'Personal relationship'
Sheikh Abdulla says he paid all the singer's living, travel and other expenses until his departure from Bahrain in 2006, and advanced funds to retain legal and financial advisers.
Mr Jackson claims the payments were "gifts".
The Thriller star was invited with his children and entourage to Bahrain, shortly after he was acquitted of child molestation charges in California.
While there, the sheikh lavished money on him. Sheikh Abdulla also built a recording studio, which he believed would be used to record albums using material he had helped to write.

However Mr Jackson apparently pulled out of the deal in May 2006 after 11 months and has not seen the sheikh since.
On Monday Mr Jackson will come face to face again with the sheikh who said he believed he had formed "a close personal relationship" with the star.
Now Sheikh Abdulla says he wants nothing more to do with him and is suing to get his money back.
At the start of the hearing which began last week, Mr Jackson's lawyer, Robert Englehart QC, applied for the star to give his evidence by video link from Los Angeles because of concerns about his health. But the application was withdrawn after medical experts said Mr Jackson was fit enough to travel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Prince vs MJ Trial Thread

thanks i was hoping for a thread on its own

latest update. lets carry on all discussion in here

Originally Posted by TSCM
http://www.denverpost.com/entertainment/ci_11012589

Michael Jackson may be too ill to travel

LONDON—Michael Jackson may be too ill to travel to London to testify in a suit which claims he owes an Arab sheikh $7 million, the pop star's lawyer said Tuesday.

Sheikh Abdulla bin Hamad Al Khalifa, the second son of the king of Bahrain, claims that Jackson reneged on a contract for an album, a candid autobiography and a stage play, after accepting millions from the sheikh.

Al Khalifa was in court Tuesday for the second day of arguments and testimony, but Jackon is seeking to give his testimony by a video link from the United States.

"It would be unwise for him to travel, given what's he's got now," lawyer Robert Englehart said, but declined to elaborate "for the obvious reasons."

Al Khalifa's lawyer, Bankim Thanki, called the medical evidence presented by Jackson's legal team "very unsatisfactory."

"It's not the first time a sick note has been presented by Mr. Jackson," Thanki said.

Details of Jackson's purported malady wasn't disclosed, but Thanki suggested that the issue could be resolved by applying a dressing "if the diagnosis is positive."

Thanki did not elaborate after the court took a short break for lunch.

The case is being tried in London by mutual agreement, Al Khalifa's representatives have said. It is due to wrap up by the end of the month.

Al Khalifa felt betrayed when the pop star pulled out of the deal, Thanki said.

After Jackson left Bahrain, never to return, his publicist later called Al Khalifa to say Jackson no longer wanted any part of the contract. Thanki said.

"It's fair to say my client felt a considerable sense of betrayal by someone he thought was a close friend," Thanki said, adding that the sheikh, an amateur songwriter, also felt "a sense of professional failure."

Thanki said Al Khalifa and Jackson were planning to establish a joint venture to put out a new Michael Jackson album, an autobiography, and a stage play.

They hoped to make millions from the project—Jackson's autobiography, intended to be "a frank and personal account" of the singer's life, was alone expected to rack up $24 million, Thanki said. In the meanwhile, Al Khalifa gave Jackson millions of dollars to help shore up his finances and subsidize Jackson's lifestyle in the small Gulf state.

Thanki said Al Khalifa considered the money an advance on the profits Jackson would reap from their pop music project, but Englehart said the money was a gift.

"Sheikh Abdulla, fortunately for himself, had the resources to be so generous," Englehart said.

Englehart argued that Jackson wasn't bound by the deal he struck because the contract was technically signed on behalf of 2 Seas Records, a venture which never got off the ground.

"This (contract) was one brick in the building that was never built," Englehart said.

Englehart argued that Jackson wasn't bound by the deal he struck because the contract was technically signed on behalf of 2 Seas Records, a venture which never got off the ground.

"This (contract) was one brick in the building that was never built," Englehart said.[/I]

For those of us who were wondering what happened to Guy Holmes, this "might" explain it.

It looks like the 2 Seas Record deal NEVER got off of the ground, so Holmes took a hike. The 2 Seas Record deal didn't work out, for whatever reason, but it appears that the Prince still wants MJ to be bound by the original "plan."

u cant have a contract for something that doesnt excist.but then again they will just say that it never happened cause mj walked

Yeah but the Prince is saying he "considered" the stuff he gave him as stuff he wanted to back with royalties. Did you get that on paper? Is there a contract with Michael's name on it saying it was an advance?

Yeah but the Prince is saying he "considered" the stuff he gave him as stuff he wanted to back with royalties. Did you get that on paper? Is there a contract with Michael's name on it saying it was an advance?

u can bet there isnt. what would he do make 2 seperate lists "right the watch is a gift. but see that roll royce i want paying for that in a couple of years" its total rubbish. its your fault if you give someone al lthese gifts with the presumption that because of all the moeny u will make off an album all the gifts are really costing you nothing. its your own free will if you give someone a gift

"It's fair to say my client felt a considerable sense of betrayal by someone he thought was a close friend,"

Oh gee, isn't that ironic. Somehow, it feels like the other way around. Some freind who takes advantage of someone half dead and no doubt mentally and emotionally depressed in order to reap huge monetary profits. He never cared about helping Michael recover from the most devistating time in his life, he was only interested in making money and making a name for himself in the industry. That's no freind to Michael. Michael never would have agreed to sing this fools songs if he had been okay or himself and he never would have signed anything without reading it. Damn it.

u can bet there isnt. what would he do make 2 seperate lists "right the watch is a gift. but see that roll royce i want paying for that in a couple of years" its total rubbish. its your fault if you give someone al lthese gifts with the presumption that because of all the moeny u will make off an album all the gifts are really costing you nothing. its your own free will if you give someone a gift

That's what I'm saying also. The Prince better have TWO list. One listing actual gifts and one listing actual business expenses.

But I still say, if there was a signed contract, there should have been an ADVANCE check issued. Isn't that how contract transaction usually conducted?

See, this what I am talking about the Prince is talking more about the gifts he gave and how hurt he was when Michael did not come back to Bahrain. Nothing about his record company. It is like he is saying all the gifts I gave you and left give me back everything I gave you

But I still say, if there was a signed contract, there should have been an ADVANCE check issued. Isn't that how contract transaction usually conducted?
yeah thats the norm.

That's what I'm saying also. The Prince better have TWO list. One listing actual gifts and one listing actual business expenses.

I agree with you and Justthefacts too. While I think Michael should have been more careful, the Prince's side isn't as squeaky clean as it sounds.

I think if this judge is anything like a judge in the US he is going to tell them to sit down and work this out. Because that is what it sounds like someone got there feelings hurt and wants someone to pay for it. And saying you felt betrayed because he did not return is not a reason to sue for millions. I will be waiting for that contract

latest update. lets carry on all discussion in here

Originally Posted by TSCM
http://www.denverpost.com/entertainment/ci_11012589

Michael Jackson may be too ill to travel

LONDON—Michael Jackson may be too ill to travel to London to testify in a suit which claims he owes an Arab sheikh $7 million, the pop star's lawyer said Tuesday.

:*****:I don't blame Michael for not wanting to go overseas for a month to deal with this mess. The thought of it would make me sick too. I suspect they have already been offered a settlement and they should have taken it.

I think if this judge is anything like a judge in the US he is going to tell them to sit down and work this out.
i think they are past that stage long ago. hearings have been going on for months.the last one was in july unless mj makes an offer during the case i see no reason why it wont go to the end

:*****:I don't blame Michael for not wanting to go overseas for a month to deal with this mess
hed only be there a couple of days

I think he might have been offered one too but he sounds like he wants Michael to sing his songs

I think if this judge is anything like a judge in the US he is going to tell them to sit down and work this out. Because that is what it sounds like someone got there feelings hurt and wants someone to pay for it. And saying you felt betrayed because he did not return is not a reason to sue for millions. I will be waiting for that contract

You have a good point there, because if the Prince's attorney is not talking about the Prince's songwriting abilities, he's talking about the Prince's hurt feelings.

I mean, the Prince wants to be in the music business badly and he got to hang out with one of the biggest artist on the planet. I'm sure he misses the "hoopla," which comes with Michael Jackson. The Prince got a taste of superstardom that's for sure.

hes saying it in the sense of it being true. princes lawyer thinks hes B.S ing

yes i know. what im asking is: can the phrase " if the diagnosis is positive/negative" be used for non serious illnesses too ? like the flu for example. i thought it was only for serious diseases. that phrase alone terrified me

Michael said he signed something. I wonder what it was if it wasn't a contract. I'm not being sarcastic. I'm wondering too.

the lawyer is saying if the diagnosis is true when he uses the word postive. u are taking it as a diagnosis being confirmed as if its something bad like having a test.

it can be used for any illness where u may need a test to confirm what u have. check that the spots are the chicken pox if its confirmed positive u cant go. u thinking of something really bad because of the word positive

Apparently, Michael thought it was a joint venture between he and the Prince to create a record label, which according to the defense, represented such a deal as one which could package and distribute albums on a world wide basis. Obviously, that would be a false representation. The Prince is rich, but he ain't that rich.

Someone got their feelings hurt because MJ said no. That is what it is. There is no agreement regarding the gifts. If you give someone something as a GIFT, then why do you need something in return? You willingly give someone a gift so why expect something in return? That makes no sense. Also, what is this talk about MJ coming to the UK and testify? Can he testify via video? He does not have to be there. I still believe that this Prince has no case, tbh. I really do. It is not about the record label that never existed. I think that is why the Katrina single was never released because the record label never happened. I think this Prince wanted to become a star from MJ. Anyway he can become a star using MJ's name is the key here. This story is one of the headlines at yahoo.com. This story has legs. The media knows his name. He is getting exactly what he wanted. He doesn't want MJ's money, because this "Prince" is a loaded man, this guy wants the headlines.

its been pretty quiet reporting wise i take it the defence have started lol i dont think court will be going on much longer today

Also, what is this talk about MJ coming to the UK and testify? Can he testify via video? He does not have to be there
mjs lawyer asked for him to do a video link i guess the princes lawyer wants him there. mjs lawyer said mj cant come cause of some illness.prince lawyer debates that. i guess it comes down to whether the judge fancies seeing mj in the flesh or not.

yeap spot on bee with the rest of what you said

I thought the reason that Michael didn't return to Bahrain was because the King, the Prince's father, cut things off. Wasn't there some big deal about them both staying at the Dorchester at the same time? It was after that was reported that Michael decided to not return to Bahrain.

I got the general idea that daddy pulled the money from his son's musical asperations. I think the reason he is trying to get back his money is that good old dad has not been as generous with his money.

the lawyer is saying if the diagnosis is true when he uses the word postive. u are taking it as a diagnosis being confirmed as if its something bad like having a test.

it can be used for any illness where u may need a test to confirm what u have. check that the spots are the chicken pox if its confirmed positive u cant go. u thinking of something really bad because of the word positive

ok thanks hon. english is not my native language so i got confused. u made me feel so much better :) thank u. i am praying its nothing serious :praying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back