Michael had an accent?

Oh, I do appreciate you taking the time to do this zin . Thank You .
No probs. I mean, it's dead interesting, isn't it? Accents and Michael's own special way of expressing himself and the therapeutic quality of his speaking voice.

@zinniabooklover Such a well written explanation - example n in depth , deep thought out post there zin yes and . People from Birmingham and Liverpool tend to speak with a ? at the end of most their sentences.
ooh, wend. You're in trouble now, lol. You just pushed a button! :D

I have to respectfully disagree here. It's true lots of peeps in the UK speak with an higher tone or inflection at the end of the sentence but that's not a B'ham or L'pool thing. Least, that's not how it seems to me. I would say that's an 'everyone' thing. It started with Australian teenagers and crossed over to the UK - probably bc of Neighbours and Home and Away, lol. But it's really widespread.

Ngl, it's not my fave thing. I don't hate it, just find it slightly weird. One of the co-founders of the Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies is British (very middle-class accent) and she does it all the time. I love their podcasts and listen to them lots and she's great and has lots of really interesting things to say about Michael and gives me lots to think about. But her speech pattern sounds a bit odd to my ears.

Great podcasts, though! :)

I like that quote there on the locked Linguistic thread haha
Yeah, it gave me a lot to think about, that quote. Really interesting suggestion.

I mean I would say , yeah It is down to the roots of where one is born and if and when they move to wherever , they will build up many tonality's within their voices and then that is the result to what we will hear , They might add a unique or different articulation if they feel like it. Voice , accents are so personal . So there cant be any pinning i guess. we all hear tone, pitch, differently.
Yes, in that locked thread there were suggestions that how you perceive someone's accent can have as much to do with your own language history. If English is your 2nd or 3rd or 4th language, have you lived abroad, what is your ear attuned to etc. I'm sure all of those things play into it.

I don't have much to add , cause i feel like a parrot right now lol other than it is a thought poking thread and i think i will camp out in here with zin and macmandy and agonum!
Well, I have to hang out here for a bit bc I haven't checked out the CBS thing you posted. @Agonum reckons it showcases Michael's special way of saying the letter 'S' so I need to listen out for that. Not sure if I've ever picked up on that before.

To me ...im gonna say yes.. partly cause i want to believe that lol It is quite cool is'nt it ? I always got fascinated with how he pauses and add the extra depth. i just missed the s off of add myself then , cos it feels right it feels "Michael".
That's so cute!

I think for me it's definitely all about his enunciation. And the pace at which he speaks.

Cool links all the way through this thread Thanxs again @Agonum for bumping this one.
Yeah, cheers, Agonum!

The broccoli was lovely! I steamed it. Mm ...

I don't really do tv so I'm always miles behind everyone else. Last year I 'discovered' the SNL performance Prince did of Electric Chair. This week, I have JUST caught up with 'The Day Beyonce Turned Black', lol. :ROFLMAO:
Hahaha broccoli is delicous! :ROFLMAO:

Oh goodness yes, that is how I discovered Prince the first time, that performance! I played that on repeat! Oh my that is such a scream lol :ROFLMAO:

Hahaha broccoli is delicous! :ROFLMAO:

Oh goodness yes, that is how I discovered Prince the first time, that performance! I played that on repeat! Oh my that is such a scream lol :ROFLMAO:
Yes, yes, but your siggy, MM90! I'm falling in love with it all over again. Although I never fell out of love with it. I just mean, every time I see the gif it's like it's the first time I've ever seen it.

I have no idea what I'm on about.

Your siggy has blown my mind. Again.

That's all. :D

No probs. I mean, it's dead interesting, isn't it? Accents and Michael's own special way of expressing himself and the therapeutic quality of his speaking voice.

ooh, wend. You're in trouble now, lol. You just pushed a button! :D
Annnnnnnnnnnnnd she says that with the sweetest smile on her face haha 😆 Dont kill me ! :oops: 😆 ❤️
I have to respectfully disagree here. It's true lots of peeps in the UK speak with an higher tone or inflection at the end of the sentence but that's not a B'ham or L'pool thing. Least, that's not how it seems to me. I would say that's an 'everyone' thing. It started with Australian teenagers and crossed over to the UK - probably bc of Neighbours and Home and Away, lol. But it's really widespread.

There is loads of ways to look at this though zin . I really believe that .. its like a multifaceted question to me. So , for me it really can't really be a poker straight answer you know? In telly programming with some shows they would def. highlight ...Liver pool accents and such to be "as wild as an Americans accent" . Interesting thought actually. Actually yes, so around 1988 Neighbours and Home and away were first broadcast. Yep good point . I wouldagree on that.
Ngl, it's not my fave thing. I don't hate it, just find it slightly weird. One of the co-founders of the Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies is British (very middle-class accent) and she does it all the time. I love their podcasts and listen to them lots and she's great and has lots of really interesting things to say about Michael and gives me lots to think about. But her speech pattern sounds a bit odd to my ears.

Great podcasts, though! :)

Yeah, it gave me a lot to think about, that quote. Really interesting suggestion.

Yes, in that locked thread there were suggestions that how you perceive someone's accent can have as much to do with your own language history. If English is your 2nd or 3rd or 4th language, have you lived abroad, what is your ear attuned to etc. I'm sure all of those things play into it.

Well, I have to hang out here for a bit bc I haven't checked out the CBS thing you posted. @Agonum reckons it showcases Michael's special way of saying the letter 'S' so I need to listen out for that. Not sure if I've ever picked up on that before.
❤️ The CBS vid - I want to know what you think about that. It will be hard to ...describe in text i think . you will def. hear it though.
That's so cute!

I think for me it's definitely all about his enunciation. And the pace at which he speaks.

Yeah, cheers, Agonum!
Mm the pace, the slow hot pause. i like that alot.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnd she says that with the sweetest smile on her face haha 😆 Dont kill me ! :oops: 😆 ❤️
oh god, no!

Besides, Michael would oppose such an action, lol.

There is loads of ways to look at this though zin .
I agree. If there's one thing I've learned from all these 'accent' threads it's that this subject is quite difficult to discuss online. There are so many nuances to all of it. See, this is why I don't understand linguistics books. The subject seems so interesting but the books are so jargon-y and even quite science-y, some of them.

I really believe that .. its like a multifaceted question to me. So , for me it really can't really be a poker straight answer you know?
oh for sure!

In telly programming with some shows they would def. highlight ...Liver pool accents and such to be "as wild as an Americans accent"
yeah, but half of that is softie southerners not understanding Liverpudlians - or Northerners, generally - and basically seeing them as a joke. So there's that.

. Interesting thought actually. Actually yes, so around 1988 Neighbours and Home and away were first broadcast. Yep good point . I wouldagree on that.
The Neighbours / Home and Away influence was really strong.

❤️ The CBS vid - I want to know what you think about that. It will be hard to ...describe in text i think . you will def. hear it though.
I'm gonna check it out tomorrow. Too tired now. Still feel insane with exhaustion. Gonna log off soon. But I'm intrigued to know what Agonum is getting at.

Mm the pace,
It's always so measured. Love it.

the slow hot pause
er, off to Manhood with you, lady! :D

i like that alot.
Everything to do with his speech. Just love all of it.

oh god, no!

Besides, Michael would oppose such an action, lol.
oh i love you zin ! youre flippin hilarious :ROFLMAO: 😆 🙏 🤩
I agree. If there's one thing I've learned from all these 'accent' threads it's that this subject is quite difficult to discuss online. There are so many nuances to all of it. See, this is why I don't understand linguistics books. The subject seems so interesting but the books are so jargon-y and even quite science-y, some of them.
YES that is true. has to be face to facwe cos its personal its a deep thing i guess its why the L thread got locked

dun dun dun ..duahhh see we agree on something here ! no im kidding . mm i did buy a couple a while back took one peek - er nope haha
oh for sure!

yeah, but half of that is softie southerners not understanding Liverpudlians - or Northerners, generally - and basically seeing them as a joke. So there's that.

The Neighbours / Home and Away influence was really strong.
That was every where. gosh every evening at half five and then turn the channel 6 pm the other it was in radio, in the mags . saturated in it.
.some magazine down my way was called tv hits always meshed the daily going on's in neigh and home with music - that was a bloody music magazine. i remeber posters of the H and A stars in a music magazine , that used to get MY goat lol def a deep conversation this
iI'm gonna check it out tomorrow. Too tired now. Still feel insane with exhaustion. Gonna log off soon. But I'm intrigued to know what Agonum is getting at.

It's always so measured. Love it.

er, off to Manhood with you, lady! :D
or mature haha
Everything to do with his speech. Just love all of it.
well that video is a tough video okay didnt wanna post the full .version of that when you r ready ill send it through

Feel the need to post this. Never get tired of this one. ❤️

The Evolution of Michael's Speaking Voice / 1970 - 2009

14m 10s

With the P when he says that ...sounds like ....really emotional like he will cry , to me i always heard that

'Scuse me, can we have wendi back please? Dunno who you are but if we're agreeing with each other you ain't our wendi, lol.

I still haven't recovered from when Bobbie left Home and Away!

Well wendi is bloody knackered shes gone to sleep haha im sleep typing lol i dont know WHY i am still knackered its been a few days !
oh my god ...she annoyd the piss out of me hahahaha oh god - i didnt really watch this stuff but i know every single one you mean LOL

I’m just getting overwhelmed at this late hour with having to juggle an accent on top of a black heritage!
Ah, OK. You confused me for a minute there. Not all Black people say 'aks'. I don't say it, none of my lot say it. It's not universal. Lots of British Black people say it, especially those with Caribbean heritage. But, like I said, loads don't.

This thread is a like a piece of detective work. Sort of. I think lots of possible reasons have been put forward for why Michael spoke the way he did. The training he would have got from Tamla, for example. I think there are so many things woven into the tapestry of his speech patterns, pace of speaking, inflections, the whole lot. All I know is, the end result is beautiful, unique, sublime, soothing.

And very much missed.

Back