Lisa marie presley - presley credits husband with helping her through jackson's death

FedoraHatGirl2058

Proud Member
LISA MARIE PRESLEY - PRESLEY CREDITS HUSBAND WITH HELPING HER THROUGH JACKSON'S DEATH

file_photos_1594634.jpg

Caption: File Photos CELEBRITY DIVORCES Lisa Marie Presley (Picture) and Michael Jackson at a private function in Sun City Sun City, South Africa....

PRESLEY CREDITS HUSBAND WITH HELPING HER THROUGH JACKSON'S DEATH

LISA MARIE PRESLEY has credited her current partner MICHAEL LOCKWOOD with supporting her through the tragic death of her ex-husband MICHAEL JACKSON.
The singer was married to the King of Pop for two years between 1994 and 1996, and was devastated when her superstar ex passed away suddenly in June (09).
Presley said at the time of Jackson's death: "I am so very sad and confused with every emotion possible. I am heartbroken. This is such a massive loss on so many levels, words fail me."
The 41 year old admits she struggled with her grief and has praised her husband Lockwood for giving her the help she needed to heal.
She tells Britain's Hello magazine, "He has cried with me, he has left me alone to cry if that’s what I needed. I have never met a more selfless and supportive person."
Presley also took solace in her 12-month old twins with Lockwood, insisting little Finley and Harper gave her comfort in those sad days.
She adds, "They both have such a sweetness about them that it breaks (my) heart."

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.ns...th-helping-her-through-jacksons-death_1119484

I hope she's been crying herself to sleep from the guilt of not being there for him when he needed her most.

Selfish bitch but I credit her for putting a smile on Michael's face while she was married to him and making the pictures look good.

Ok Lisa....

I hope she's been crying herself to sleep from the guilt of not being there for him when he needed her most.

Perfect! :clapping: She was married to him and she could have done things the right way. It is now past and I'm sure she must have been very sorry for some things she did in the past. I do not like Lisa...

I admire her cause she was with Michael, in fact i envy her:doh: nahh, i just wish i was her at that time... I would have never let him, for sure

I'm glad she's doing well. But I sure hope she remembers what it was about Michael that so devastated her the next time she's asked by Oprah, Diane Sawyer, etc. etc. And if she forgets, please...just don't diss him again. Say nothing if you can't say something positive, that's all I want at this point.

i never liked her, her face always looked so cold

Too late now! Where was she when he was crying? she seeks solace from others but Michael had no one..
Never can say Goodbye..

If she´s really moaning his death something is bothering her mind...
Good for Lisa that her husband can give her due support, because she´s not having mine.
No more. It´s too late for regrets.

wow, her hubby sounds like a great guy! but this does sound like a bit of PR. with all the public mourning that she did, people are sort of questioning her current marriage and its ability to outlast this.

I still believe that if LMP and MJ had stayed together, we'd still have Mike with us. I am betting she knows that too. hence the enormous guilt and sadness.

I'm glad she's doing well. But I sure hope she remembers what it was about Michael that so devastated her the next time she's asked by Oprah, Diane Sawyer, etc. etc. And if she forgets, please...just don't diss him again. Say nothing if you can't say something positive, that's all I want at this point.

100,000% agreed. :clapping:

wow, her hubby sounds like a great guy! but this does sound like a bit of PR. with all the public mourning that she did, people are sort of questioning her current marriage and its ability to outlast this.

I still believe that if LMP and MJ had stayed together, we'd still have Mike with us. I am betting she knows that too. hence the enormous guilt and sadness.

I don't know. Marriage is difficult and requires a lot of concessions and compromise from both sides. These were two very independent strong willed people accustomed to living their lives the way they wanted to.

I love MJ, but I think during the Lisa period, he was still very much married to his career. You have to be a special woman to be okay with being second. Lisa is demanding and just doesn't come across as the type willing to settle for second place.

I do believe MJ's priorities totally shifted with the birth of his children. They became his number one priority. I also believe after Lisa, MJ might have decided marriage was not necessarily for him. That he was fully capable of raising his children and as much as he theoretically would have preferred a nuclear family with a mother and father for his children, he accepted he did not like being accountable to another person, even a wife.

I could see Michael easier marrying in his 60's, when his children were completely on their own, and the demands of his career would be at a different level.

I don't know. Marriage is difficult and requires a lot of concessions and compromise from both sides. These were two very independent strong willed people accustomed to living their lives the way they wanted to.

I love MJ, but I think during the Lisa period, he was still very much married to his career. You have to be a special woman to be okay with being second. Lisa is demanding and just doesn't come across as the type willing to settle for second place.

I do believe MJ's priorities totally shifted with the birth of his children. They became his number one priority. I also believe after Lisa, MJ might have decided marriage was not necessarily for him. That he was fully capable of raising his children and as much as he theoretically would have preferred a nuclear family with a mother and father for his children, he accepted he did not like being accountable to another person, even a wife.

I could see Michael easier marrying in his 60's, when his children were completely on their own, and the demands of his career would be at a different level.

hey yeah, I agree with you. I believe that had he gotten through this, and started making the movies he'd always wanted to make, he'd be able to settle down with someone much more compatible with him than anyone he's known before.

I don't necessarily think that Lisa was his soulmate. but I think they were happy for a short while after being married and a lot of things interfered and you're right -- neither of them were compromising at the time. if it's true though that she wanted him back afterward and promised to have a ton of kids with him but he had already been once bitten twice shy about her... I don't see marriage lasting unless both of them changed with the kids being born etc.

I love Mike's transformation into a father. when I think of him pre-2002, I see this flaming meteor of a man... the man I met way back in 1988 was very different from the man in TII. I love his reincarnation as a father. I think his next 20 years would have been a fantastic affirmation of the man he always was, and there would have been perhaps a good chance he'd have found someone to grow old with.

:cry:

Speaking of LMP, has anyone read the article / interview she did talking about MJ's and her sex life..?? Very interesting & romantic - but I highly doubt that MJ would be happy with it- considering he was so shy & very private.

Every man should be just like MJ, IMO.

Well, I don't think either one of them was perfect - no one is. But, I think it was pretty evident that she truly loved and adored him, and that would mean her grief is real. I know she has lashed out at him in the past, but sometimes that happens when you love a person and they disappoint you in some way. She was heartbroken. What she was displaying was actually the flip side of passion. There were some very difficult times in that marriage. It couldn't have always been easy - for either one of them.

Well, I don't think either one of them was perfect - no one is. But, I think it was pretty evident that she truly loved and adored him, and that would mean her grief is real. I know she has lashed out at him in the past, but sometimes that happens when you love a person and they disappoint you in some way. She was heartbroken. What she was displaying was actually the flip side of passion. There were some very difficult times in that marriage. It couldn't have always been easy - for either one of them.

I have the same point of view :agree:

Speaking of LMP, has anyone read the article / interview she did talking about MJ's and her sex life..?? Very interesting & romantic - but I highly doubt that MJ would be happy with it- considering he was so shy & very private.

Every man should be just like MJ, IMO.

I´ve seen it here in some thread, but is it a real interview? I wonder if LMP would reveal such private details about it openly...
(but it´d be great if it was true :D)

I think his next 20 years would have been a fantastic affirmation of the man he always was, and there would have been perhaps a good chance he'd have found someone to grow old with.

:cry:

Yeah,.....:cry:

He would have been reinvigorated by the success of the concerts and out from debt, and moving into film and a different direction. And the thought that he would have then eventually found someone to share the rest of his life with breaks my heart that he didn't get that chance!!

He gave so much. He deserved that kind of happiness.

Why should MJ's death have any impact on LMP? She moved on. She even mentioned that he was "the worst mistake she ever made" in that Marie Claire article. To me, the woman needs to get a life and live it. Stop trying to make more of this than it really is. And what it really is is GUILT. Period!

Why should MJ's death have any impact on LMP? She moved on. She even mentioned that he was "the worst mistake she ever made" in that Marie Claire article. To me, the woman needs to get a life and live it. Stop trying to make more of this than it really is. And what it really is is GUILT. Period!
If she said so, she's b*tch, but i also know why she may have said it: she begged Michael to come back to her, and Michael didnt do it of COURSE, and i think if she ever said it, it was cause of Michael's desapproval of her, besides when she left Michael, Lisa got fat and ugly, i think Michael kept her ok...:smilerolleyes:

Anyway, i think if she would have stayed with him, Michael would be alive, i sinceryly think so, sadly i think so but i HATE HER

Hi, I think guilt does have an impact. It's wonderful she has a very supportive husband and children as comfort to her. But, she must work through the guilt, and sorrow. If she doesn't deal with her issues properly, the marriage may not sustain.

Lockwood has to put up with a lot with Lisa. Thank goodness he is patient cuz she needs someone whose world revolves around her. I hope this one lasts for her and she can put the rest her demons about Michael and all her exes.

If she said so, she's b*tch, but i also know why she may have said it: she begged Michael to come back to her, and Michael didnt do it of COURSE, and i think if she ever said it, it was cause of Michael's desapproval of her, besides when she left Michael, Lisa got fat and ugly, i think Michael kept her ok...:smilerolleyes:

Anyway, i think if she would have stayed with him, Michael would be alive, i sinceryly think so, sadly i think so but i HATE HER

Here it is. Now, LMP recently "blasted" Marie Claire. But they quoted her. They didn't put those words in her mouth, SHE DID.

From: http://www.marieclaire.com/celebrit...erviews/lisa-marie-presley-pregnant-interview
That's All Right Mama

Expecting twins with her fourth husband, Lisa Marie Presley talks frankly to Marie Claire about ex-husband Michael Jackson, being ripped off by her staff, and refusing to turn into her father.

By Allison Glock

Special Offer

mar_ad34_js01_close.gif
mar_ad34_js01_head.gif
First Name:
Last Name:
Address:
City:
State/Zip:
Email:
OPR_ef14T_js2_x.gif

mar_cvr-med.jpg

Pay now
Gift subscriptions
Non-US addresses
Privacy policy

It is lunchtime at New York's Mandarin Oriental hotel, and Lisa Marie Presley is piqued. At the tabloids, or maybe at the people who read them — bottom-feeders, she says, who are basically crossing their fingers, hoping she will self-destruct.

"They want me to be him. It's like they can't wait," she groans over green tea and tofu dumplings. "The tabloids were going so far as to alter photos. I could never figure out why they went to all that trouble to make me look fat."

Then, after seeing yet another distorted picture of her, shot from the ground up with headlines heralding her imminent demise, an epiphany.

"It's this morbid obsession. We had to get a lawyer to stop them from putting his face on the cover of a tabloid with me. Sick."

When your father is Elvis, and you share his high cheekbones and lush, downturned mouth, you inherit a certain amount of baggage. The crazy, stalking, sideburned people. The inability to ever, even for a moment, be seen as your own person, and not just the offspring of a deity.

Even so, the sinister hope that you will perish young and out of control in some sort of real-life reenactment of your father's tragedy — well, that was something new.

"They want me to be miserable," Presley, 40, says flatly. "Especially when my life is good."

Recently married to her longtime beau, musician Michael Lockwood, Presley is pregnant with twins. It was news she hoped to keep private, but the gossips outed her — not for having a celebrity "baby bump," but for being a bloated failure.

"It took me a while to make the connection with the dad thing," she says, tossing her chopsticks on the table in favor of a fork. "There are at least six other famous women pregnant right now who aren't getting picked on. But they're all over me. It's like there is a campaign to demean me. You know what I think when I see those fat photos?" she says, with a crooked smile. "I think, Fuck. You. I'm not going to let them control me. I just let it all hang out. You want to look at me? Go ahead and look."

Presley yanks up her black strapless maxi dress, the fabric sliding taut over her very pregnant belly, and rakes her hand through her hair, exhaling noisily.

"I've never even been out of my BMI range," she says with exasperation. "I'm 5-foot-3. If I gain five pounds, it shows." And besides, "when did it become okay to give women a hard time for weight gain? It's harassment.

"I'm trying to grow another human being," she says plaintively. "Besides, I'm 40! I'm lucky to even be able to do this."

After lunch, Presley warily eyes the floral halter tops and ruffled tanks in the maternity wing of a department store and sighs.

"Hey baby, maybe they'll have those pouch pants," quips her husband, 47, a gangly, amiable presence in overalls and a yellow terrycloth Gilligan hat.

"Those just crack you up, don't they?" Presley volleys back, quickly sorting through a rack of white capris. Lockwood grins.

"Uh, I'm done," Presley says, as her husband holds up a pair of jeans with a large, saggy stretch panel.

In the car, the two sit hip to hip, Lockwood's hand caressing Presley's thigh. "I am in awe of her," he says sweetly. "Being pregnant is a lot of work."

"I'm a lot of work," Presley jokes.

"I don't think so," Lockwood answers. "I think it's probably hard to be married to me," Presley explains. "Because shit happens to me that doesn't happen to your average girl. You have to keep your eyes open."

Lockwood shakes his head, brushes Presley's hair off her shoulder.

"I had been through so many awful relationships before Lisa. I was very cynical. When I met her, I told her I didn't believe in love."

"I told him that was bullshit."

"Yeah. She called me out about it. She said I was a coward. She gave me faith." As he talks, Presley stares out the window.

"You want to know the best thing and the worst thing about me?" she says later. "I see things as they really are. People really bullshit themselves. I don't like any filter or rainbows or fluff. And sometimes it is a blessing. And sometimes it makes me the biggest fucking pain in the ass ever. Because people don't want to see that."

Presley comes by her straight talk honestly. Her life has been an endless stream of scrutiny and people taking advantage. Even as a child at Graceland, she was accosted daily by fans of her father, who gave her cameras and begged her to take photos of her house. Hands were forever reaching through the gates.

After her parents divorced when she was 5, Presley lived in Los Angeles with her mother, Priscilla, a woman whose sugary perfection contrasted sharply with her daughter's mutinous leanings. The arrangement proved stifling.

"I couldn't relate to her," Presley says. "She was overbearing and overpowering to me. I couldn't wait to get the hell out of there."

Frequent visits to her father were more indulgent, but fraught; there were spontaneous trips in the private jet, but there were also Daddy's mood swings and depression. Then came his tragic death, and the mourning of a nation that somehow felt its loss was bigger than that of a 9-year-old child.

Rebellion followed. She abused drugs as a teenager, and went to a series of exclusive schools that ended with her dropping out in the 11th grade. At 17, she bolted, moving in with and ultimately marrying musician Danny Keough. Six years and two kids later, the couple divorced, leading Presley into a pair of less prudent, more conspicuous marriages.

"We're all going to screw up," Presley says. "The important thing is, do you learn from it and not do it again? Can you make it better in the future? Can you change? Because, Lord knows, I've fucked up many, many times."

What was the worst time?

"My biggest mistake? Let's see," she begins quietly. "How can I word this? Um. Well. Leaving my first marriage, for the person that I left it for — that was probably the biggest mistake of my life."

She is referring, of course, to Michael Jackson, a man whose name she, consciously or not, avoids saying aloud. This is understandable. The lunacy of the 1994 pairing exploded the celebrity Richter scale. There was the strained Diane Sawyer interview, the rumor that Jackson was only in the relationship for her dad's song catalog, the awkward "kiss" on the MTV Video Music Awards. Presley, poignantly, was not in on the joke.

"I was really naive at the time. I was in la-la land." She grimaces slightly, pushes some fallen hair from her forehead, then lets it all go.

"I had been really sheltered. I got married the first time very, very young. And the marriage I was in, there was so much resentment about who I was, because I had more than he did, and it became a power struggle. It is hard for a man to be with a woman who is stronger, wealthier. So in my mind I'm thinking, I know, I'll get with someone more compatible. I wasn't thinking what everyone else was thinking, which was that I must have been out of my fucking mind."

Was she?

She pauses, smiles.

"I was just in a bubble. And able to be snowed. I hadn't been bitten by the snake of life yet. I grew up after that. I had to."

But not completely. After Jackson, Presley married the quirky, moody actor Nic Cage. It was a fiery pairing along the lines of Burton and Taylor, complete with frequent fights and pricey jewelry hurled into the open sea.

"Marrying him was a wild flurry, a crazy idea and being young, and 'Ahhhh!'" Presley says, chuckling, glancing at her brilliant metallic fingernails, searching for chips.

"I've gotten to the point in my life where I've chased all the crazies down," she says with conviction. "I was ready to stop the madness. At this age, I really appreciate having [a husband who is] a best friend. But you know, the other guys were fun. For a while."

Presley talks about wanting to move to New York. Her Hawaiian farm is overrun with wild pigs, trampling the vegetation, tearing up the landscape. She has a main home in Los Angeles, but she loathes it there and always has. She refuses to raise her new babies amid the "bullshit that is L.A."

"I'd love to move to London, or Connecticut," she says.

Connecticut?

"What? It's beautiful there."Presley's at work on a new album, her third since 2003's To Whom It May Concern (which went gold) and 2005's Now What — dark, brash, storytelling rock and roll in the '70s tradition. "I'd love to finish writing before they come out," she says, glancing at her belly.

Last spring she even quit smoking, cold turkey. "It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do by a long shot. I was either suicidal or homicidal."

It's all part of the Presley self-improvement plan. No cigarettes. No psychos. No whining. "I grew up with my kids a little bit. But now, it's like, phase two. I'm 100 percent ready to focus on my children."

Presley and her daughter, Riley, 19, are Gilmore-girls close. The two talk on the phone "about 16 times a day." They live and travel together, lugging their three cats along.

Riley is "past the hormones and boys nuttiness," Presley says. Now she has bigger questions about life. "When she asks me what to do, I say, 'I can tell you, based on the mistakes I've made, but I know you have to experience it yourself. I don't want to stop you by saying, Don't go down that road. But really, don't go down it.'"

Presley admits she is still learning which roads to travel herself. "I'm working hard right now on not being angry. I was chronically angry for a year and a half. I'm much better now."

Part of her fury came from the discovery that her intimate staff, people she'd employed for 15 years who were "like family, really," had been bleeding her accounts of millions in cash.

"You'd think I would have known better because of my father, right?" she says drily. "It was my fucking fault. I didn't want to deal with the business. My father was like that. He trusted that people did what they said they were doing. He just wanted to be the artist. He wanted to go off and play."

But for this Presley, it'll be different. After firing everybody, she set about learning how to manage herself, down to balancing her own checkbook.

"I'm in a happy place now," she says. "But it took a lot to get here. I wasn't always who I am now. Of course, I still have trust issues. But I'll get through that too. Eventually."

Just then, her phone rings. It's Riley. Presley takes the call. "I love you too, baby," she says, her expression softening. As she listens, she leans into the car fan, lifting her face toward the cool, refreshing air.

Allison Glock is a senior writer for ESPN magazine. Her last book was the award-winning memoir Beauty Before Comfort (Knopf). She lives in Florida with her two daughters.

I will never forgive LMP nor become a fan of hers, just for this article. This deeply offends me. What an absolute self-centered, egotistical bitch she is. No kidding.

Last edited:
Here it is. Now, LMP recently "blasted" Marie Claire. But they quoted her. They didn't put those words in her mouth, SHE DID.

From: http://www.marieclaire.com/celebrit...erviews/lisa-marie-presley-pregnant-interview
That's All Right Mama

Expecting twins with her fourth husband, Lisa Marie Presley talks frankly to Marie Claire about ex-husband Michael Jackson, being ripped off by her staff, and refusing to turn into her father.

By Allison Glock

Special Offer

mar_ad34_js01_close.gif
mar_ad34_js01_head.gif
First Name:
Last Name:
Address:
City:
State/Zip:
Email:
OPR_ef14T_js2_x.gif

mar_cvr-med.jpg

Pay now
Gift subscriptions
Non-US addresses
Privacy policy

It is lunchtime at New York's Mandarin Oriental hotel, and Lisa Marie Presley is piqued. At the tabloids, or maybe at the people who read them — bottom-feeders, she says, who are basically crossing their fingers, hoping she will self-destruct.

"They want me to be him. It's like they can't wait," she groans over green tea and tofu dumplings. "The tabloids were going so far as to alter photos. I could never figure out why they went to all that trouble to make me look fat."

Then, after seeing yet another distorted picture of her, shot from the ground up with headlines heralding her imminent demise, an epiphany.

"It's this morbid obsession. We had to get a lawyer to stop them from putting his face on the cover of a tabloid with me. Sick."

When your father is Elvis, and you share his high cheekbones and lush, downturned mouth, you inherit a certain amount of baggage. The crazy, stalking, sideburned people. The inability to ever, even for a moment, be seen as your own person, and not just the offspring of a deity.

Even so, the sinister hope that you will perish young and out of control in some sort of real-life reenactment of your father's tragedy — well, that was something new.

"They want me to be miserable," Presley, 40, says flatly. "Especially when my life is good."

Recently married to her longtime beau, musician Michael Lockwood, Presley is pregnant with twins. It was news she hoped to keep private, but the gossips outed her — not for having a celebrity "baby bump," but for being a bloated failure.

"It took me a while to make the connection with the dad thing," she says, tossing her chopsticks on the table in favor of a fork. "There are at least six other famous women pregnant right now who aren't getting picked on. But they're all over me. It's like there is a campaign to demean me. You know what I think when I see those fat photos?" she says, with a crooked smile. "I think, Fuck. You. I'm not going to let them control me. I just let it all hang out. You want to look at me? Go ahead and look."

Presley yanks up her black strapless maxi dress, the fabric sliding taut over her very pregnant belly, and rakes her hand through her hair, exhaling noisily.

"I've never even been out of my BMI range," she says with exasperation. "I'm 5-foot-3. If I gain five pounds, it shows." And besides, "when did it become okay to give women a hard time for weight gain? It's harassment.

"I'm trying to grow another human being," she says plaintively. "Besides, I'm 40! I'm lucky to even be able to do this."

After lunch, Presley warily eyes the floral halter tops and ruffled tanks in the maternity wing of a department store and sighs.

"Hey baby, maybe they'll have those pouch pants," quips her husband, 47, a gangly, amiable presence in overalls and a yellow terrycloth Gilligan hat.

"Those just crack you up, don't they?" Presley volleys back, quickly sorting through a rack of white capris. Lockwood grins.

"Uh, I'm done," Presley says, as her husband holds up a pair of jeans with a large, saggy stretch panel.

In the car, the two sit hip to hip, Lockwood's hand caressing Presley's thigh. "I am in awe of her," he says sweetly. "Being pregnant is a lot of work."

"I'm a lot of work," Presley jokes.

"I don't think so," Lockwood answers. "I think it's probably hard to be married to me," Presley explains. "Because shit happens to me that doesn't happen to your average girl. You have to keep your eyes open."

Lockwood shakes his head, brushes Presley's hair off her shoulder.

"I had been through so many awful relationships before Lisa. I was very cynical. When I met her, I told her I didn't believe in love."

"I told him that was bullshit."

"Yeah. She called me out about it. She said I was a coward. She gave me faith." As he talks, Presley stares out the window.

"You want to know the best thing and the worst thing about me?" she says later. "I see things as they really are. People really bullshit themselves. I don't like any filter or rainbows or fluff. And sometimes it is a blessing. And sometimes it makes me the biggest fucking pain in the ass ever. Because people don't want to see that."

Presley comes by her straight talk honestly. Her life has been an endless stream of scrutiny and people taking advantage. Even as a child at Graceland, she was accosted daily by fans of her father, who gave her cameras and begged her to take photos of her house. Hands were forever reaching through the gates.

After her parents divorced when she was 5, Presley lived in Los Angeles with her mother, Priscilla, a woman whose sugary perfection contrasted sharply with her daughter's mutinous leanings. The arrangement proved stifling.

"I couldn't relate to her," Presley says. "She was overbearing and overpowering to me. I couldn't wait to get the hell out of there."

Frequent visits to her father were more indulgent, but fraught; there were spontaneous trips in the private jet, but there were also Daddy's mood swings and depression. Then came his tragic death, and the mourning of a nation that somehow felt its loss was bigger than that of a 9-year-old child.

Rebellion followed. She abused drugs as a teenager, and went to a series of exclusive schools that ended with her dropping out in the 11th grade. At 17, she bolted, moving in with and ultimately marrying musician Danny Keough. Six years and two kids later, the couple divorced, leading Presley into a pair of less prudent, more conspicuous marriages.

"We're all going to screw up," Presley says. "The important thing is, do you learn from it and not do it again? Can you make it better in the future? Can you change? Because, Lord knows, I've fucked up many, many times."

What was the worst time?

"My biggest mistake? Let's see," she begins quietly. "How can I word this? Um. Well. Leaving my first marriage, for the person that I left it for — that was probably the biggest mistake of my life."

She is referring, of course, to Michael Jackson, a man whose name she, consciously or not, avoids saying aloud. This is understandable. The lunacy of the 1994 pairing exploded the celebrity Richter scale. There was the strained Diane Sawyer interview, the rumor that Jackson was only in the relationship for her dad's song catalog, the awkward "kiss" on the MTV Video Music Awards. Presley, poignantly, was not in on the joke.

"I was really naive at the time. I was in la-la land." She grimaces slightly, pushes some fallen hair from her forehead, then lets it all go.

"I had been really sheltered. I got married the first time very, very young. And the marriage I was in, there was so much resentment about who I was, because I had more than he did, and it became a power struggle. It is hard for a man to be with a woman who is stronger, wealthier. So in my mind I'm thinking, I know, I'll get with someone more compatible. I wasn't thinking what everyone else was thinking, which was that I must have been out of my fucking mind."

Was she?

She pauses, smiles.

"I was just in a bubble. And able to be snowed. I hadn't been bitten by the snake of life yet. I grew up after that. I had to."

But not completely. After Jackson, Presley married the quirky, moody actor Nic Cage. It was a fiery pairing along the lines of Burton and Taylor, complete with frequent fights and pricey jewelry hurled into the open sea.

"Marrying him was a wild flurry, a crazy idea and being young, and 'Ahhhh!'" Presley says, chuckling, glancing at her brilliant metallic fingernails, searching for chips.

"I've gotten to the point in my life where I've chased all the crazies down," she says with conviction. "I was ready to stop the madness. At this age, I really appreciate having [a husband who is] a best friend. But you know, the other guys were fun. For a while."

Presley talks about wanting to move to New York. Her Hawaiian farm is overrun with wild pigs, trampling the vegetation, tearing up the landscape. She has a main home in Los Angeles, but she loathes it there and always has. She refuses to raise her new babies amid the "bullshit that is L.A."

"I'd love to move to London, or Connecticut," she says.

Connecticut?

"What? It's beautiful there."Presley's at work on a new album, her third since 2003's To Whom It May Concern (which went gold) and 2005's Now What — dark, brash, storytelling rock and roll in the '70s tradition. "I'd love to finish writing before they come out," she says, glancing at her belly.

Last spring she even quit smoking, cold turkey. "It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do by a long shot. I was either suicidal or homicidal."

It's all part of the Presley self-improvement plan. No cigarettes. No psychos. No whining. "I grew up with my kids a little bit. But now, it's like, phase two. I'm 100 percent ready to focus on my children."

Presley and her daughter, Riley, 19, are Gilmore-girls close. The two talk on the phone "about 16 times a day." They live and travel together, lugging their three cats along.

Riley is "past the hormones and boys nuttiness," Presley says. Now she has bigger questions about life. "When she asks me what to do, I say, 'I can tell you, based on the mistakes I've made, but I know you have to experience it yourself. I don't want to stop you by saying, Don't go down that road. But really, don't go down it.'"

Presley admits she is still learning which roads to travel herself. "I'm working hard right now on not being angry. I was chronically angry for a year and a half. I'm much better now."

Part of her fury came from the discovery that her intimate staff, people she'd employed for 15 years who were "like family, really," had been bleeding her accounts of millions in cash.

"You'd think I would have known better because of my father, right?" she says drily. "It was my fucking fault. I didn't want to deal with the business. My father was like that. He trusted that people did what they said they were doing. He just wanted to be the artist. He wanted to go off and play."

But for this Presley, it'll be different. After firing everybody, she set about learning how to manage herself, down to balancing her own checkbook.

"I'm in a happy place now," she says. "But it took a lot to get here. I wasn't always who I am now. Of course, I still have trust issues. But I'll get through that too. Eventually."

Just then, her phone rings. It's Riley. Presley takes the call. "I love you too, baby," she says, her expression softening. As she listens, she leans into the car fan, lifting her face toward the cool, refreshing air.

Allison Glock is a senior writer for ESPN magazine. Her last book was the award-winning memoir Beauty Before Comfort (Knopf). She lives in Florida with her two daughters.
Thanks for the article, now i know for sure she a B*tch, what a fake woman

Back