Learning Lessons from MJ ... the "following his steps" thread; understanding my hero [Merged]

Re: Learning Lessons from MJ ... the "following his steps" thread; understanding my hero

Thanks for that long post Tamara. Interesting :)

With those books in the photos.. some could have come from fans, like some of the disney books as we know he liked it.

I saw 'The Maltese Falcon' there.. I don't know what the story of that book is but I'm half Maltese, so I'm glad it seems like he heard of the Island of Malta! :D

I think I need to go to a library and see if I can find these books - ''They Cage the Animals at Night" and "Jonathan Livingston Seagull".

:D oops! sry. I know the two articles are long & they do have some of the same quotes,but the bottom one had different information. I myself love to read,and I love the fact that Michael did too. I just wanted to help get the point across of how well read Michael was and how people really should read more..it's so much better than watching TV. It opens your mind so much. :wub:

Last edited:
Re: Question about Michael's intellectuality

I have some photo from the LA auction that never was.

Niall-LAtoAntigua314.jpg

Niall-LAtoAntigua317.jpg

Niall-LAtoAntigua322.jpg

Niall-LAtoAntigua321.jpg

Niall-LAtoAntigua324.jpg

dynamite!

exactly stuff i want to find out about :) MUCH THANKS

Re: Learning Lessons from MJ ... the "following his steps" thread; understanding my hero

Wow this thread has blown up a bit over the last few days haha xxx

I have found this thread and everyones replies really emotional to read, but in a lovely positive way.
Thanks to everyone who has posted pics and vids.

I remember from an interview once that Michael said he loves the movies "Patch Adams" from 1998, starting Robin Williams. I remember watching that movie, loving it, been touched by it and even thinking how it reminds me so much of Michael, later I find out that Michael really loves it.
If you havent seen it already, then please do. Its an amazing story.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0129290/

L.O.V.E to all

:D oops! sry. I know the two articles are long & they do have some of the same quotes,but the bottom one had different information. I myself love to read,and I love the fact that Michael did too. I just wanted to help get the point across of how well read Michael was and how people really should read more..it's so much better than watching TV. It opens your mind so much. :wub:

I liked reading it, you're free to post some more however long they are :D

One book i noticed in the Photos was Your Creative Power by Alex Osborn, you can read/see the whole book here:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...resnum=1&ved=0CAcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

xx

Oh cool, you can read it for free?! I prefer to read books as books not on the computer but this is great to find you can read one of the books MJ had online and for free. Thanks Jackie.

I remember from an interview once that Michael said he loves the movies "Patch Adams" from 1998, starting Robin Williams. I remember watching that movie, loving it, been touched by it and even thinking how it reminds me so much of Michael, later I find out that Michael really loves it.
If you havent seen it already, then please do. Its an amazing story.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0129290/

L.O.V.E to all

OMG. I remember watching Patch Adams at school once, I can't remember the story really..

Last edited:

Ok.. This is some info about the film..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_Adams_%28film%29

And this is the real life guy its based on..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_Adams

Adams had a difficult childhood. His father was killed in the Korean War in 1951[citation needed] at which point he moved with his family from Korea back to the United States, only to discover injustices that devastated him, such as discrimination and segregation. Adams was adamantly against these injustices and refused to conform to the crowd that tolerated them, making him a target for bullies at school. As a result, Adams was unhappy and even became suicidal. After being hospitalized three times in one year for wanting to end his life, he somehow realized that instead of killing himself, he should "make revolution." According to Adams, ever since this realization, he has been active with no breaks trying to create a kind, loving world.

After school (1963) from Wakefield High School (Arlington County, Virginia),[2] Adams completed pre-med coursework at the George Washington University. He began medical school without an undergraduate degree, and earned his Doctor of Medicine degree at the Medical College of Virginia, Health Sciences Division of Virginia Commonwealth University in 1971. In the late 60s, one of his closest male friends (not his female friend as seen in the movie) was murdered. Convinced of the powerful connection between environment and wellness, he believes the health of an individual cannot be separated from the health of the family, community, and the world. While working in an adolescent clinic at MCV, in his final year of med school, he met Linda Edquist, a volunteer in the clinic and student at VCU. Soon after graduation, Patch, Linda, and friends founded the Gesundheit! Institute (originally known to many as the Zanies), which ran as a free community hospital for 12 years.
Adams and Edquist married (1970s) and had two children.[citation needed] The elder, Atomic Zagnut Adams, was given a name indicative of Patch and his close friend Leo's personal laugh with life.[citation needed] His younger son's name is Lars Zig Edquist Adams.

Gesundheit! Institute

Main article: Gesundheit! Institute
A revamped Gesundheit! Institute, envisioned as a free, full-scale hospital and health care eco-community, is planned on 316 acres (128 ha) in Pocahontas County, West Virginia. Its goal is to integrate a traditional hospital with alternative medicine--acupuncture, homeopathy, etc. Care will combine integrative medicine with performing arts, crafts, nature, agriculture, and recreation. The West Virginia location accepts seasonal volunteers through the website. The new hospital has not been built as Adams continues to seek funding. The current caretaker staff at the West Virginia site consists of one person, but claims to be actively developing educational programs in sustainable systems design targeted to medical students, university alternative break groups, and the general public. Several videos and books have also been produced including the 1998 movie, "Patch Adams".[clarification needed]

Since the 1990s Adams has supported the Ithaca Health Alliance (IHA),[3] founded as the Ithaca Health Fund (IHF) by Paul Glover. In January 2006 IHA launched the Ithaca Free Clinic, bringing to life key aspects of Adams' vision. Adams has also given strong praise to Health Democracy, Glover's book written and published the same year.

In October 2007, Adams and the Gesundheit Board unveiled its campaign to raise $1 million towards building a Teaching Center and Clinic on its land in West Virginia. Adams' girlfriend, Susan Parenti is the impetus behind this project. The Center and Clinic will enable Gesundheit to see patients and teach health care design.[citation needed]

Adams urges medical students to develop compassionate connections with their patients. His prescription for this kind of care relies on humor and play, which he sees as essential to physical and emotional health. Ultimately, Adams wants the Gesundheit! Institute to open a 40-bed hospital in rural West Virginia that offers free, holistic care to anyone who wants it.[4]

Adams was awarded the Peace Abbey Courage of Conscience Award on January 29, 1997.[5]
In 2008, Adams agreed to become honorary chair of the "International Association for the Advancement of Creative Maladjustment" or IAACM. In a number of his speeches and essays, Martin Luther King, Jr. had called for such an IAACM, but none was ever created. MindFreedom International, a nonprofit coalition that Gesundheit! belongs to as a sponsor group, launched the IAACM to support "creative maladjustment" and social change.[6]

The website of the Gesundheit Institute states that "at the end of the film Patch Adams, Universal Studios inserted the inaccurate statement that Gesundheit had already built its free hospital" and that "this false claim hindered Gesundheit's ability to fundraise for the free hospital" however it adds that "the movie itself raised visibility and helped launch a decade of teaching and Global Outreach."[7] Patch Adams himself in an interview was critical of Robin Williams, stating, "He made 21 million dollars for four months of pretending to be me, in a very simplistic version, and did not give $10 to my free hospital. Patch Adams, the person, would have, if I had Robin's money, given all 21 million dollars to a free hospital in a country where 80 million cannot get care."[citation needed]

Last edited:

Oh cool, you can read it for free?! I prefer to read books as books not on the computer but this is great to find you can read one of the books MJ had online and for free. Thanks Jackie.

Yeah i prefer reading from books too, Ive actually just brought this book from ebay for like 12 GBP lol xxx

The reason why Im so fond of classical music is because of Michael, he introduced me into it, he introduced me into reading more books...he was my mentor.

Come on guys, lets keep the info coming.

I have found this lovely pic which I thought was very much worth adding to this thread!!:yes:

28cjz1t.jpg

:agree:Agree? :yes:

uvp004iechyx40ev.jpg

reading.jpg

80s_573.jpg

article-1104063-02EDAFB2000005DC-41_468x489.jpg

:angel:

wow those photos of him are lovely, thank you xxx

Okay, just wanted to pop in and say that this thread is AWESOME!

Everyone should read this from page 1 on and try to focus more on all that we can still learn from Michael, instead of all the negative things going on right now. All I know is that I feel so much more connected to Michael through focussing on these beautiful things we have left.

Keep it up guys! :heart:

I read he had all the classics, but which are the classics?
I guess we have different classics depending on where we live in the world, but are books by Dostojevskij and Tolstoy classics in the USA?

I read he had all the classics, but which are the classics?
I guess we have different classics depending on where we live in the world, but are books by Dostojevskij and Tolstoy classics in the USA?

Ive just found this website, it says these are the classics:

http://www.classic-literature.co.uk/

Its a start anyway xx

Dostojevskij and Tolstoy - Im gonna do some research on these guys, never heard them before, sorry if that sounds dumb

xx

It's the BEST thread I've seen here in a while, thank you so much!

I also love Jonathan Livingston Seagull :)

Seeing this thread over again has given me inspiration to buy some new books!

I just remembered, he admired France's greatest mime, Marcel Marceau.

Marceau was also a fan of Michael (takes one to know one, imo, Marceau was also a genius).
At some point, he explains with so much sensibility how Michael was so outstanding in a scene, and how he conveyed so much emotion with only one gesture, made me tear up...
He also says that he is very proud that Michael admired him.

The anchor says that Michael admired Marceau since childhood, and that they were planning to do something together.

[youtube]VJpBUPlMNU4[/youtube]

Dostojevskij and Tolstoy - Im gonna do some research on these guys, never heard them before, sorry if that sounds dumb

xx
I found another page with the best 101 books ever written.I think there is questions about some books there but both Dostojevskij and Tolstoy is there and they belong there.

http://www.listsofbests.com/list/11632-101-best-books-ever-written

I found some interesting things about Tolstoy
His ideas on nonviolent resistance, expressed in such works as The Kingdom of God Is Within You, were to have a profound impact on such pivotal twentieth-century figures as Gandhi[1] and Martin Luther King, Jr.

Here are some quotes

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.
Leo Tolstoy
Everything that I understand, I understand only because I love.
Leo Tolstoy

:heart:

I found another page with the best 101 books ever written.I think there is questions about some books there but both Dostojevskij and Tolstoy is there and they belong there.

http://www.listsofbests.com/list/11632-101-best-books-ever-written

I found some interesting things about Tolstoy
His ideas on nonviolent resistance, expressed in such works as The Kingdom of God Is Within You, were to have a profound impact on such pivotal twentieth-century figures as Gandhi[1] and Martin Luther King, Jr.

Here are some quotes

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.
Leo Tolstoy
Everything that I understand, I understand only because I love.
Leo Tolstoy

wow some great stuff there, im checking out that site now xxx

Do we know what current music he liked?

Yes, Michael was always so smart and always read as many books on various subjects, traveled the world and different cultures and met so many other things they did improve their knowledge of it. I wonder the library of Michael. Surely he had thousands, thousands and thousands of books. :wild:
:bugeyed I thought it was this number. 130 is great! :yes:

I was forgettin.

According to some theories, the more sensitive you are about the world's problems, the more intelligent you are (the more high is your IQ).
So, who is the king of sensitivity? :D

Now I'm sure his IQ goes over 130 :yes:

Do we know what current music he liked?

I'd like to know that too. He said something like the best records were from the past. So I don't know.

He mentions alot of people in these in one part he mentions music artists he likes.

He wanted Lady Gaga to be a guest in this is it.

You can have a high IQ and don´t care at all about others.
There is something called emotional intellegence and it´s more important for being successful than IQ.
I didn´t find much about it when I searched for it but here is something http://testyourself.psychtests.com/testid/2092

You can have a high IQ and don´t care at all about others.
There is something called emotional intellegence and it´s more important for being successful than IQ.
I didn´t find much about it when I searched for it but here is something http://testyourself.psychtests.com/testid/2092

I know that, I study that. We are all different, we're humans we have millions of variables. There's a lot of clever psycos aroudn and evil geniuses too, I know :D.

But I was talking about a theory. In phychology most theories are only applying to a majority, not everyone single one on earth. And I'm not talking about Emotional Intelligence either.

Back