Learning Lessons from MJ ... the "following his steps" thread; understanding my hero [Merged]

Re: Learning Lessons from MJ ... the "following his steps" thread; understanding my hero

Wow, thanks! I found a link which has a video with "Miss Castaway" footage (yeah, it looks really bad), and a short clip of Michael talking to Jennings Michael Burch at the end. I assume that this is the behind the scenes footage that you mentioned?

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/07/michael-jackson-miss-cast-away.html

If anyone knows where we can see more of Michael's interview of Jennings Michael Burch, please let us know! I think it would be very interesting to see that.

I picked up Jonathon Livingston Seagull at the library yesterday. I'll see if they have "They Cage the Animals at Night" later this week.

Yeah, that's the video I saw. :) I'd like to see the interview too. You can see the author getting all teary at the end after sharing his story and Michael says 'I understand you.' :( I'm gonna try getting a copy of this and the Jonathan Livingston Seagull book mentioned earlier. :D

Re: Learning Lessons from MJ ... the "following his steps" thread; understanding my hero

I like this thread

he seems to have been a fan of Michael Angelo.
x

Here's an LA Times article regarding MJ shopping for books. One of the booksellers mentioned that Ralph Waldo Emerson was MJ's favorite, but, unfortunately, he doesn't mention any specific titles. The articles also describes subjects that interested MJ, like psychology, black history, etc.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/arts/la-et-jackson-books27-2009jun27,0,3364369.story

that's amazing! i'm reading up on this ralph waldo guy now. i love finding out new things about michael.
x

Great thread, I love reading and will now purchase Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach and Self-Reliance by Ralph Waldo Emerson. Thanks so much for letting me know about these :)

This thread is so positive, with all thats going on right now you should make it a sticky :)

love this thread! great idea :yes:

I haven't been able to find an interview or anything yet to confirm, but I believe Michael liked Edgar Allen Poe. He supposedly wanted to portray Poe in a movie back in the early 2000's. Does anyone know anything more about this?

Also, tmz posted pictures from the raid of Neverland, and in one of the pictures of a bookshelf, you can clearly see a large blue book with "Poe" on the spine.

bump ;)

Michael wore the perfume Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez =)

Edit: What does "bump" mean? xD

from Amazon:
One rainy day in Brooklyn, Jennings Michael Burch's mother, too sick to care for him, left him at an orphanage, saying only, "I'll be right back." She never returned. Shuttled through a series of bleak foster homes and institutions, he never remained in any of them long enough to make a friend. Instead, Jennings clung to a tattered stuffed animal, his sole source of warmth in a frightening world. This is the poignant story of his lost childhood. But it is also the triumphant tale of a little boy who finally gained the courage to reach out for love-and found it waiting for him.

i would love to find this one next

I love West Side Story it's one of my favorite movies.. I've even seen the play recently. As soon as I saw The Way You Make Me Feel I knew what had inspired it. Bad too. I was young then but had already seen that movie like a million times. This thread rocks! Thanks for sharing this info guys, I'm definitely gonna check out some of these books. I love to read and am always looking for new things to bury my face in at night. It will be a comfort to me to read something that MJ also read and liked.

great thread :) thanks, person who bumped it!

he liked oliver! and my life as a dog by lasse hallström. he watch it with his mom.

he collected everything by jm barrie.

we saw him get the bathing of apollo painting and know he owned it in sculpture.

he liked shaggy's it wasn't me. his favorite by janet was rhythm nation.

i'll remember more stuff he liked; they're all just stored somewhere!

I also wanna say thanks for this thread.

About one or two weeks ago I remembered myself reading a book I found remarkable when I was a child and I wanted to read it again, but I couldn't remember the title or even the content.
And now I read through this thread and the first posting is about Jonathan Livingston Seagull and that's exactly the book I was searching for...

He loved the classical "Rodeo, Fanfare common man, Lincoln Portrait" By Aaron Copland.

Also Loved Leonard Bernstein's "West side story, On the waterfront, To Kill a Mockingbird and Magnificent Seven Score"

Prokofiev's "Peter and the Wolf"

He Loved Tchaikovsky's compositions...

I'll try to find out more...

Thank you for this thread...it'll get my mind off some stressful things...

Tchaikovsky and MJ had so much in common...Tchaikovsky literally invented music for Ballets and he was a pioneer at that time. He was also constantly struggling with his insecurities and anxiety. Tchaikovsky emotional intuitiveness was a blessing and a curse for him and he never really appreciated his own work. According to the critics, Tchaikovsky spoke with an almost child-like directness and honesty, creating emotional soundworlds.

MJ is the reason I started listening Tchaikovsky and I love the music...its beautiful. Its like stepping in to a fairytale.

There is also a book called American Master by C. Mecca and that does give an explanation of what MJ was and is...of course there is also the Dancing of Dream book by MJ and if you are into poetry and can read in between the lines, you can learn a lot about MJ from that. Also MJs lyrix reveal his personality to some extent if you just listen.

Michael wore the perfume Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez =)

Edit: What does "bump" mean? xD

And MJ liked and used Tom Ford's Black Orchid cologne...according to La Toya.

Make this thread a Sticky please!!! We can learn soo much from the info in here. :)

I think so, love the thread :yes:

and Nancy Bass said

He wanted books on black folk music, books by Roald Dahl (including James and the Giant Peach), and something on Versailles

I read from this
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nancy-bass/the-day-i-met-michael-jac_b_225954.html

She didn't specific title of the book :no:

I haven't been able to find an interview or anything yet to confirm, but I believe Michael liked Edgar Allen Poe. He supposedly wanted to portray Poe in a movie back in the early 2000's. Does anyone know anything more about this?

Also, tmz posted pictures from the raid of Neverland, and in one of the pictures of a bookshelf, you can clearly see a large blue book with "Poe" on the spine.
i heard about that too... i love Poe. wish he could have done that .

I got my Jet magazine last week Michael read " Black History" and " Greek Mythology" he loved the music of the great gospel Mahalia Jackson.

picked up some aaron copeland on friday ... first classical CD EVER purchased haha the things i do for MJ

keep the good info coming, guys. when i was in the record store, i referred back to this thread so it's very helpful.

anybody got anymore gems?

tv he liked were pbs, discovery channel, simpsons, sesame street and malcolm in the middle. :) the show reminded him of his brothers and he related to malcolm because malcolm tries to fit into society but he can't adjust to other people's concepts.

I was quite amazed at Michael's knowledge of some of the items he bought from the shop in Las Vegas---during the "Living With Michael Jackson" documentary.

All Bashir wanted to do was show Michael's extravagance----but Michael sure KNEW what he was looking at/buying.
Who painted what/etc.
Dawn

yep~~ agree you
i've seen "Living With Michael Jackson" documentary too^^
and i remembered that was Michael had said he was very like the goods in Las Vegas.
He just loved them and bought them only, why the people thought he was extravagance???
it had made me so strange.
Michael just same as the other people to watch what he loved in, i think there're no any problem of that.
it's so unfair to michael~~~~~~~~~

RIP Michael

I ordered "They cage the animals at night" and "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" today. Can't wait to receive them, even though the first book takes about ten days to be delivered to Germany...

I just finished They Cage the Animals at Night. That's a powerful book. I hope we get to see more of the interview Michael did with the author.

new MJ book he loved!!!

Before The Mayflower by Lerone Bennett, Jr.

Before the Mayflower is sitting right here on my bookshelf.. I had to read it for one of my undergrad African American studies classes. How did you find out about that one?

I'm gonna check out "...Cage..." and ..."seagull..." at the library tomorrow...

Last edited:
Back