Lady GaGa talks about opening for Michael Jackson on Larry King Live

Status
Not open for further replies.
With regard to her or anyone openin for Mj..I have slight problems with that scenario..Never before has anyone opened an mj show apart from mj..I can't see why he would want another artist to be the first to appear on his stage..Maybe on a few nights? I duno..It sounded like it was going to change ovr the tour but I can imagine a more likely scenario was duets of songs..Like gaga going dirty diana or something...But to open the show for MICHAEL JACKSON??..please...
im not sure you understand what an opening act is. mj has had many opening acts on his tour every act has one. they come on to warm the crowd up and hour or so b4 mj hits the stage. in the past he had kim wilde and dodgy euro dance acts during the history tour who can forget grace (the group) at wembley during history and the lead singer almost falling out of her top lol

the fact that a supposed big act like lady gaga would reduce herself to a support act for mj shows alot

Is this about us liking-disliking Gaga or about the her working with MJ?

With all your due respect, if she had been there... would you have missed that part of the show and just arrived to see Michael? :mellow: Or would you have critize Michael's choice? It's hard to say great/bad, for it is also difficult know any of this things for sure. We don't even know the list of songs for TII for sure!! :doh:

if she has good words for Michael and his work, I am glad she shares that. Two years ago she might have had the same opinion about him, but then, noone would have cared since she was not known.

im not sure you understand what an opening act is. mj has had many opening acts on his tour every act has one. they come on to warm the crowd up and hour or so b4 mj hits the stage.

Not always.
in his show in our country (Dangerous, 1993) there was no opening act. Which I was grateful for... after so many hours waiting for him, I certainly didn't want any other artist before him :)

Well on the one hand she is different, hard working and aware of the buisness but she contradicts herself too much.To say mj is an inspiration and bowie etc and then to say another time she has no inspirations is stupid..Mj would always say james brown if he was asked...To say you put ALL your money into the tours is also stupid because she would be on the streets...I think sadly because there are not many unique people in the pop culture right now, it will all go to her head and this icon image will just apply to her more...WAYYY TO EARLY TO CALL HER AN ICON..But the reason for it is because of the lack of variety and the impatience and short attention span these days

With regard to her or anyone openin for Mj..I have slight problems with that scenario..Never before has anyone opened an mj show apart from mj..I can't see why he would want another artist to be the first to appear on his stage..Maybe on a few nights? I duno..It sounded like it was going to change ovr the tour but I can imagine a more likely scenario was duets of songs..Like gaga going dirty diana or something...But to open the show for MICHAEL JACKSON??..please...

Sadly you can see from her interiews and demeanour this is all going to her head and her ego will increase no doubt because she believes she is more important at this moment in time that she is..I wish an artist who is even tagged with the icon symbol could possess the humble qualities of Michael Jackson..Of course mj had an ego but he was brought up from a different stoke an in different generation where you are respecftul and grateful to so many, not just the fans...When mj was interviewed he NEVER came across as a man who was important and vital to his industry..He would not gloat or boast or ever act superior...Gaga already seems like she could be the opposite to all that and just has an air of being on a pedistool which is totally wrong

Agree with you completely :)
Only thing is Michael did have opening acts on his other tours.
Also I saw the clip on Youtube and if you listen carefully she says there were talks of her being the opening act, some of the nights. Not every night.

I honestly don't see how her opeNing for him would have worked. She is morphing herself into Madonna more and more each day, especially in concerts when she makes comments like "Get your d**ks out!" and swearing a lot.
Can you imagine Michael watching that backstage while he says he didn't like Madonna for (at least in part) those reasons?

im not sure you understand what an opening act is. mj has had many opening acts on his tour every act has one. they come on to warm the crowd up and hour or so b4 mj hits the stage. in the past he had kim wilde and dodgy euro dance acts during the history tour who can forget grace (the group) at wembley during history and the lead singer almost falling out of her top lol

the fact that a supposed big act like lady gaga would reduce herself to a support act for mj shows alot

Ooo well i made a wrong assumption.Not seeing mj live is why you see..But james brown never had an opening act to my knowledge and I assumed mj did not either..But there you go..I guess it could have happened then..She should have no quarms opening for mj..Someone who feels they are too big for their boots to do that at her age would annoy me..I can't think of anyone who is in a position to not be able to open an act for mj..Beyonce..Usher...None of them are of the same mould and like lady gaga would not look out of place as opening acts imo.

Michael and Lady Gaga would have been amazing. Other people were also going to open for Michael and the plan was that they would also duet or jam with Michael during his concert as well. God, the tour would have been amazing.

I have a strong feeling he actually spoke with her privately. Akon was friends with Gaga before she hit the scene.

I am a big Lady Gaga fan. I don't buy many CD's these days, but I bought her FAME album. That girl has so many well produced catchy songs and the best thing is... she is unique from everybody else in the industry. She has literally exploded over the past year or so and continues to do so. I am glad to hear such positive words from her regarding MJ. She is a big fan of his, so much that she was going to open for him. What an amazing show that would have been. I don't quite understand the Gaga hate from some Mj fans. She just admitted how much she respected him and is inspired by him. Even if you don't like her style or music, you have to respect the fact that she is a MJ fan. Take all the support we can get, because it's never enough!

I know it's sad too! cause I do also feel she is a good artist. I'm sure if we had internet back in the day..Elvis fans were hating on Mike. But there is no need cause these are great artist. Granted she has not been here long but she is working it. Yes, Today's artist are gonna use image to sell but back the 80's remember Mike had a silver glove and flashy outfits too! It's all entertainment..Just the times change and it's done a lil different. Even with that being done..I still feel she is a true artist that puts her work in and Mike saw that too I assume if the rumors are true of her opening and working with him. I think alot of fans are emotional now (have a right to be) and are gonna hate on anybody that's not mike. I like her though. I think she's cool peep's.

Honestly...I think she has a great voice..I just think she is singing the wrong types of songs..I think her video's are trashy and disgusting. I think she has a talent..I just think she is waisting it trying to be to much like MaDonna. If she did have an talk with Michael about opening a few nights for him...then I say good for her...Michael would of had to show her what it is like to perform with class. ..Her mouth is disgusting...she has a trash mouth..too bad because people will think of her by what comes out of her mouth,...I am glad that she is a MJ fan....she shows good tastes in music anyway.

It is this type of attitude I don't like and you would never see in mj...This is going off the point and mj obv admired her so what can you say..But personally, I don't like this condesending, superior, I am right you are wrong attitude and when she speaks about 3 million records and sold waeva she said...It just really makes me sick and sums up alot of why I don't like her...But musically I find her choice of how she sings irritating and her lyrics

So, she wasn't supposed to actually open HIS concert but to act before HIM, like support act, am I understanding it right? And then maybe during his show, she maybe would join for some songs? That'd be something... Even if I don't like her let me call it style of life (but I do respect her, she knows how to play with public opinion and knows how to sell her music), I must admit: she's talented. I mean, I'd prefer she won't be Madonna of 21st century when it comes down to dirty language and nasty songs, but as you don't get what you want... you know;)
Honesty, I do not buy a lot of cds these days, but I bought her double album and I really like some songs. From the "This Is It" movie, I know it wasn't the case, but if they're performing his "Thriller" and her "Monster" together...
[Btw, during HIStory tour, at leas in European part, his support was DJ Bobo:) how time changes... now it'd be Gaga;) How I wish we had the chance to see it...]

Guys lets not turn this into a MJ vs Gaga thread. Personally she's not my cup of tea but it just shows that although Gaga may be huge next to Michael she's simply a support act. What pains me about this most of all though is that we will never see what these amazing concerts would have been like.

Guys lets not turn this into a MJ vs Gaga thread. Personally she's not my cup of tea but it just shows that although Gaga may be huge next to Michael she's simply a support act. What pains me about this most of all though is that we will never see what these amazing concerts would have been like.

Indeed

i agree with u .her music is not my type so i don't listen to it ,its that simple.

absolutely

I know it's sad too! cause I do also feel she is a good artist. I'm sure if we had internet back in the day..Elvis fans were hating on Mike. But there is no need cause these are great artist. Granted she has not been here long but she is working it. Yes, Today's artist are gonna use image to sell but back the 80's remember Mike had a silver glove and flashy outfits too! It's all entertainment..Just the times change and it's done a lil different. Even with that being done..I still feel she is a true artist that puts her work in and Mike saw that too I assume if the rumors are true of her opening and working with him. I think alot of fans are emotional now (have a right to be) and are gonna hate on anybody that's not mike. I like her though. I think she's cool peep's.

i don't think fans are hating on anybody that isn't Mike. i think people have their opinion of an artist, from the start. i don't think MJ has anything to do with it...

i think it's just better if people just be honest...

no need for people to fake what they feel to appease others..cus then, people will start wondering if people are being fake or not.

MJ will always get support from his fanbase...

You can look at it in another way.
Michael had plans to release a popalbum last year and he knew showbusiness.
Lady GaGa has many fans,I assume many of them are young and didn´t listen to Michael Jackson.
If she was going to perform in some of his shows,sing duets with him maybe some of her fans would begin to listen to him and he would sell more albums to younger people.

Maybe his children liked her
At least he liked her well enough to be able to work with her.

You can look at it in another way.
Michael had plans to release a popalbum last year and he knew showbusiness.
Lady GaGa has many fans,I assume many of them are young and didn´t listen to Michael Jackson.
If she was going to perform in some of his shows,sing duets with him maybe some of her fans would begin to listen to him and he would sell more albums to younger people.

Maybe his children liked her
At least he liked her well enough to be able to work with her.

Your kidding I hope? Michael Jackson has fans of all ages, all over the world, he is the most popular artist of all time and has never, needed any "help".

Last edited:
Guys, please get a grip of yourselves. Lady Gaga is not trying to promote herself by mentioning she was a fan of MJ. Like many posters have commented, MJ is a global superstar with MANY fans all around the world. A percentage of those fans were singers, including people such as Ne-Yo, Chris Brown, Akon, Kanye West, Celine Deon, Will.i.am, Justin Timberlake, Usher, and LADY GAGA! I remember reading a few articles that made a direct reference that MJ wanted Lady Gaga on his tour. Not because he felt he would get more younger fans, but because he admired her work.

In fact according to my own source at Sony who knows REDONE (the producer of Poker Face), Michael Jackson when he first heard the song Poker Face in the fall of 2008, inquired to RedONE about making him a song that sounded like that. MJ went on to say how much he loved the melody and flow of the song, and that Lady Gaga is doing a great job so far. Gaga who was signed by Akon's Label KON LIVE, is good friends with Akon as well, a huge MJ supporter. So it makes lots of sense how Gaga could be influenced by MJ. Enough with the hate!

Guys, please get a grip of yourselves. Lady Gaga is not trying to promote herself by mentioning she was a fan of MJ. Like many posters have commented, MJ is a global superstar with MANY fans all around the world. A percentage of those fans were singers, including people such as Ne-Yo, Chris Brown, Akon, Kanye West, Celine Deon, Will.i.am, Justin Timberlake, Usher, and LADY GAGA! I remember reading a few articles that made a direct reference that MJ wanted Lady Gaga on his tour. Not because he felt he would get more younger fans, but because he admired her work.

In fact according to my own source at Sony who knows REDONE (the producer of Poker Face), Michael Jackson when he first heard the song Poker Face in the fall of 2008, inquired to RedONE about making him a song that sounded like that. MJ went on to say how much he loved the melody and flow of the song, and that Lady Gaga is doing a great job so far. Gaga who was signed by Akon's Label KON LIVE, is good friends with Akon as well, a huge MJ supporter. So it makes lots of sense how Gaga could be influenced by MJ. Enough with the hate!

I'm not trying to be negative here, but saying I read articles mentioning it and a soure at Sony still doesn't equal to hearing Michael actually say that he loves her and wants to work with her.

The thing is though it seems like a lot of her fans keep repeating things like this.It sounds like some people think it gives her more credibility as an artist.( Kind of like if someone as big as Michael likes her than she must be an amazing artist)

However Michael has a whole list of artists he mentioned he admired at some point. Even people like *Nsync, Britney Spears, Usher, Chris Brown, Justin Timberlake.

He even performed with some of them, does that mean we should love them and think wow they are so amazingly talented since Michael said he liked them?
Does that give them more credibility as an great artist too? No it doesn't it just shows that Michael was aware of artists that are popular with the young crowd.
Did he really look up to them? Who knows.

Also when Lady Gaga first came out ( When Michael was still here) she was acting way different then she is doing now. I can see him liking her the way she was then, but the way she acts now? I don't know.

I had no idea that she was opening up for Michael. That's interesting.
I kind of figured she's a fan though.

Pushing all of my thoughts and opinions of Lady Gaga as a music artist aside, she spoke kindly about Michael so I thank her. From what I've seen of her, she seems very sweet.

Thanks for posting.

Does that give them more credibility as an great artist too? No it doesn't it just shows that Michael was aware of artists that are popular with the young crowd.

I agree.

Okay, did this air already? 'cause I see it on Larry King's site for tonight.....

I for one have no dislike of GaGa personally, her music just does'nt do it for me. With that said, I appreciate her words on MJ and I think having her open the concerts would've put a different spin on things. Imagine what the media comments would've been!

I'm not trying to be negative here, but saying I read articles mentioning it and a soure at Sony still doesn't equal to hearing Michael actually say that he loves her and wants to work with her.

The thing is though it seems like a lot of her fans keep repeating things like this.It sounds like some people think it gives her more credibility as an artist.( Kind of like if someone as big as Michael likes her than she must be an amazing artist)

However Michael has a whole list of artists he mentioned he admired at some point. Even people like *Nsync, Britney Spears, Usher, Chris Brown, Justin Timberlake.

He even performed with some of them, does that mean we should love them and think wow they are so amazingly talented since Michael said he liked them?

Also when Lady Gaga first came out ( When Michael was still here) she was acting way different then she is doing now. I can see him liking her the way she was then, but the way she acts now? I don't know.

I agree with you...

When she first came out it was all about Queen....how Queen and David Bowie were her major influences,she never mentioned MJ...now I really don't see in what ways besides taking gaga from Radio GaGa and using androgynous looks like Bowie is even remotely being close to these artists....it's all about name dropping,I don't see any content in what she does,no melodies,boring and insignificant lyrics,and also her so famous looks are the product of stylists like Alexander Mcqueen no stylistic genius like Freddie Mercury here,who designed his own stuff and even draw his own logo...no voice nor crazy personality like Nina Hagen here...no mainstream innovation like Madonna...

Name dropping MJ only after he died,taking the Thriller move for your video and call it a tribute has the same weight of Miley Cyrus crediting Radiohead and kurt Cobain as major influences for her "music"....lmfao.

I'm not discrediting Lady GaGa just because I can,I mean I have a bunch of mp3 in my ipod it's not a sin to play shitty music sometime lol...but I'm really a music fanatic,not only a fan of MJ and you reach a point where it kinda pisses you off to see mediocrity or simple entertainment being treated like a cultural revolution while true iconic revolutionary talent is being ignored or forgotten.
Every ass who praises MJ or who was lucky enough to be noticed by him must be awesome..not for me.
I think Gaga is name-dropping too many "random" icons unnecessarily...she's just Avril Lavigne with a better publicist and a different producer...but it took some years to Avril's fans to realize she wasn't really punk.

Didn't someone from the TII production said that M's concert was very long and they were trying to cut it a little bit and trying to perfectly fit into the timing because of the O2 arena rules,insurances policies etc??I find it hard to believe there was enough time for an opening act...

u obviously never saw some of mjs previous opening acts lol

LOL!!!!!

I think Lady Gaga is better than any of the support acts i saw during HIStory (someautralian band, a belgian act called 'get ready' and a upcoming dutch act that wasnt so bad actually).

GaGa is one of the most talented people around today. But I just don't like her appearances. If I wanna see humanoids, I can watch scifi movies... So I don't get it.

I think they meant there were talks for one or two concerts. Because I've heard there would have been lots of guest appearances during the tour...

Michael is the kind of artist who does not need any singer/band to open their concerts. -_-

I'm no fan of Gaga, but I like his voice. :yes: I think it would be an interesting performance. But I do not like the way she dresses. Sometimes it's very shocking. :ph34r: :bugeyed But I know that style is part of the character/artist Gaga.... Lady Gaga and Joanne Germanotta Stefani Angelina are two different people, I believe.

Travis Payne said something about it, but it seemed it would just be a duet of Michael and Gaga in some song in show, a special appearance. It did not seem that she would make the opening. :thinking:

It is this type of attitude I don't like and you would never see in mj...This is going off the point and mj obv admired her so what can you say..But personally, I don't like this condesending, superior, I am right you are wrong attitude and when she speaks about 3 million records and sold waeva she said...It just really makes me sick and sums up alot of why I don't like her...But musically I find her choice of how she sings irritating and her lyrics

God she is such an idiot, i think i would have been have a few in the bar until she was done.

What makes me sad is that it is so unfair that Michael never got to do his concerts. He was so close. All his plans and things he wanted to do. No matter what I hear with he wanted to do this or that just breaks my heart.

LOL!!!!!

I think Lady Gaga is better than any of the support acts i saw during HIStory (someautralian band, a belgian act called 'get ready' and a upcoming dutch act that wasnt so bad actually).

Ha the ausralian band were a boy group called human nature, i actually bought the cd for my sister and your right it's pretty bad . I think their single was "does he whisper your name", might be wrong on that though.

why we are going gaga over lady gaga.move on already,some think she is talented ,creative ,we will see that in due time .so far whatever she is doing, is not working for me.that's just my opinion.

I don't mind Gaga, I like some of her songs, well most of them actually, it would have been cool seeing her...
All these woulds, and coulds are making me sad :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back