July 18-20 News and mentionings *update for July 20, 2008 on post #123*

mariemarie

Guests
Hello world. :cheers:

This is the weekend edition of the news and mentionings. Do check this thread for the entire weekend for new postings. Wish you all a wonderful weekend.

Michael Jackson News

Not anything we don't know, but for those who haven't read the news this week, check out whats been in the news this week in the article below.
Check also back for more updates.

Michael Jackson's fan album

Michael Jackson fans have been asked to choose their favourite tracks for a new album of the singer's greatest hits.

'King of Pop' is being released on August 29 to celebrate the 'Thriller' singer's 50th birthday.
Fans are being asked to select their 18 favourite songs from a choice of 50 Jackson tracks, and the most popular will appear on the compilation record.

Countries around the world will all host their own polls, meaning several different versions of the new record will be available - sparking speculation that devoted followers of the singer will travel the world in order to obtain a complete set of CDs.

One of Jackson's new songs was recently leaked online.
'Hold My Hand', featuring Akon, appeared on several websites and is reportedly due to feature on his long-awaited comeback album, which the 'Lonely' rapper is believed to be producing.
The mid-tempo track features the lyrics: "Things will get better if you just hold my hand."

The song has had a mostly positive response from commentators, with one fan saying the song marks "the return of the king".

No release date has been scheduled for the album, the follow up to 2001's 'Invincible'.

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/people/news/article_1417836.php/Michael_Jacksons_fan_album

Mentionings

A kinder, gentler sort of talent competition

YTV looks for next star in first show of its kind for kids 15 and under

Christina Aguilera got her start as a Mouseketeer. Avril Lavigne crooned in her early teens with country singer Shania Twain. Michael Jackson was winning acclaim before he had run out of fingers to show his age.
They each started out when they were young and grew to be recording artists with multi-platinum, chart-topping albums. And that's exactly what Canadian children performing on a new YTV show debuting tonight are shooting for.

Full article http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/462549

WIZARD OF ODD: 'Weird Al' still the king of strange and goofy

Read the full article here. http://www.thedailytimes.com/article/20080718/ENT/831016274

LOOK: The Month Ahead

Sheryl Crow[/i] received her first exposure as a backup singer for Michael Jackson, duetting with Jackson on "I Just Can't Stop Loving You” on his 1987 tour — the evidence is on YouTube. She's come a long way: see Crow with guests James Blunt and Toots and the Maytals at 7 p.m. Aug. 16 at the Zoo Amphitheatre, 2101 NE 50.

http://newsok.com/look-the-month-ahead/article/3271417/?tm=1216328601

Fancy dress friends mourn murdered Ben

Friends of murdered teenager Ben Kinsella wore fancy dress to celebrate his life.
Dozens of the 16-year-old's peers dressed in colourful wigs and outsized sunglasses for his funeral today (Friday).
Ben, the brother of former EastEnders actress Brooke Kinsella, died after he was stabbed in north London during a night out.
Brooke, who played Kelly Taylor in the soap, pleaded for others to learn from his death and lay down their weapons.
Some of Ben's friends turned up at St John the Evangelist Roman Catholic Church, in Islington, north London, in T-shirts bearing anti-knife crime slogans.
Hundreds of people lined the entrance as Ben's purple coffin was carried inside. Several younger mourners broke down in tears.
A number of stars from the world of entertainment attended. Former EastEnders' stars Michelle Ryan, Gillian Taylforth and James Alexandrou were joined by actress Linda Robson.

Ben's coffin was carried into the church by members of his family to the song Ben by Michael Jackson. Brooke, mum Debbie, dad George and sisters Jade and Georgia were all at the service.

Ben was stabbed several times in York Way, Islington, after a fight in a bar spilled out on to the streets on June 29. His friend Louis Robson, 16, son of Birds Of A Feather actress Linda Robson, was with him as he died.
Three teenagers have been charged with Ben's murder. Juress Kika, 18, Michael Alleyne, 18, and Jade Braithwaite, 19, appeared at Highbury Corner Magistrates' Court and have been remanded in custody to October 13.

http://www.metro.co.uk/fame/article.html?in_article_id=225335&in_page_id=7&in_a_source=

Stars Of The Future Go To Church

With reality shows catching on with Ghanaian television viewers, there
is only one thing that can sustain such shows, and that is sponsorship.

Somovision Ghana Limited, a leading dealer in household electrical appliances is helping in that direction by becoming a main sponsor of Stars of the Future, the popular reality show being aired on Ghana Television (GTV). The company says it is ready to dole out gifts worth million of cedis to the contestants.

After a night of old school performances, contestants of Stars of the Future now want to lift their hands and white handkerchiefs in praise of their Maker.

This Sunday, fans of the show would be treated to gospel music from the eight contestants but they are informed that a favorite contestant or potential star is likely to go home.

Last Friday, July 11, during the old school performance,
all nine contestants put up splendid performances which made the task of the three judges even more difficult.

One after the other, Chris Attoh, dressed like a member of the Black Panther Movement of America in the late 60s, with Afro hairstyle and bar trousers, called the contestants to show their fans how old they can be.

Ike brought everyone, except the judges, to their feet when he performed ‘cool and the gang’; then Daniel forced them back on their feet with ‘Give me hope’.

When Joe did his own rendition of the king of pop music Michael Jackson’s ‘Heal the world’, virtually the whole audience sang with him.

The tempo in the room kept adulating, and it was very clear in the last five, as after Joe’s performance came David with Jimmy Cliff’s ‘Reggae night’.

The first among the four ladies in the contest to mount the stage was Adwoa, who did ‘I will always love you’, a song by the goddess of hip hop, Whitney Houston, and at this point the judges who kept echoing each other’s comments, admitted “that was a difficult song”.

Anyone listening from outside the venue would have mistaken Adina for Tina Turner when she managed to do “Simply the Best”.

Electrifying the auditorium, Anita brought Jimmy Cliff back to the stage as she performed ‘Brown eyes’ and the audience cheered her on.

However, Tina Turner was still in the house as Deborah ended the show with ‘What’s love got to do with it’.

Participation of fans is very essential as they have to text the name of their favourite to any mobile communication network.

http://ghanabase.com/news/2008/2261.asp

Today is Friday, July 18, 2008​

[SIZE=+2]Today in[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=+2]Michael Jackson History​
[/SIZE]
1998 - The city of Warsaw, Poland, presented Michael Jackson with four potential locations for a planned theme park

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: July 18-20 News and mentionings

Thanks for the news, Marie.

You are very welcome, sweetie.

According to a London court website there was a hearing on July 11 in the Al-Khalifa vs. Jackson case (aka. 2 Seas Records agreement). It was a pre-trial hearing without the jury's appearance.

The case is based on the allegation that Michael Jackson backed out on a promise to record a cover version of an Elvis Priestly record (unnamed). They are suing for $5 million in damages plus the cost of full accommodation and hospitality for himself and his three children for 12 months.

Source: michaeljackson.hu

interesting alessia. For covering an Elvis track! oh dear....with all due respect to the king and two seas records they maybe digging for a little too much granted Michael backed out...but I think they are more disgruntled that the record company coudlnt get off to the start they wanted.

Thanks for the news and mentining marie :flowers:

Last edited:

This is from Essence Magazine. Alfonso Ribeiro talked a little bit about Michael. Here's the specific part.

ESSENCE.COM: You lived every 80s baby’s dream—to work with Michael Jackson. How did you end up in that famous 1983 Pepsi commercial?

RIBEIRO: It was like a dream come true for a young performer. As a 12-year-old kid, I was a huge fan of Michael. Michael’s choreographer was directing a commercial I was in and saw me playing around on the set doing the dance and they gave me that opportunity. I met Michael in rehearsal. It was really cool to work with him. My dad and I hung out with him many times after that, but that was the first time I met him.

ESSENCE.COM: Wow! Handpicked to dance with Michael Jackson…

RIBEIRO: I’m certainly not a professional. I’m one of those people who, if I look at someone doing it, I can mimic it really well, which is what I did with Michael. I actually couldn’t do “Dancing with the Stars” because they said I have so much experience, which I really don’t because I never trained professionally. It’s just very interesting to me that I’m almost known for being a dancer and I was never a real dancer.

http://www.essence.com/essence/themix/entertainment/0,16109,1823808,00.html?xid=071808-EssenceNews-AlfonsoRibeiroTextLink

So now I guess we know Michael could never be on "Dancing with the Stars" if Alfonso can't even get on, lol. Can you imagine what they'd say to Michael? "Sorry, don't even think about it." lol. Even though Michael's not trained, he's easily on the level of someone who is.

Alfonso's a really good dancer, actually. It was funny watching him on the Fresh Prince, because he was supposed to be a total dork, but whenever he would dance with Will, he would totally oudance him, lol. He obviously has a similar ability to Michael, being able to see something and mimic it right off. That's raw talent.

Last edited:

Although I like Michael alot, in regards to that case, I can completely understand them wanting him to pay for backing out of that recording contract. It's business. But nevertheless, wanting him to reimburse them the cost of letting him stay over there is a little over the top IMO. Weren't all these people friends? Another thing is, I thought that they had the contract just for Michael's new album as a total one-time recording. Not just one tune. I'm confused.

Last edited:

If they're suing over him not recording one song, that's totally ridiculous, lol. And I guess their "hospitality" wasn't very hospitable if they want him to pay for it. Oh well.

thank you much

According to a London court website there was a hearing on July 11 in the Al-Khalifa vs. Jackson case (aka. 2 Seas Records agreement). It was a pre-trial hearing without the jury's appearance.

The case is based on the allegation that Michael Jackson backed out on a promise to record a cover version of an Elvis Priestly record (unnamed). They are suing for $5 million in damages plus the cost of full accommodation and hospitality for himself and his three children for 12 months.

Hmmmmm...and um....hmmmmmm

HM someone had other motives in being so nice nice to Michael when he extended his invitation

50 is not that old, he'll be fine...

BUT coming from a former fitness trainer, he better get his lil' butt in the gym... HA HA!!! He hates working out.. I could not imagine Lou Farrigno trying to get Mike to do free weights.. lol!! That's why when he trained him he made Mike do more circut training and cardio related stuff..

Hey, thanks for posting those interesting tidbits, Wannabe and Allissa.

So, Carlton (that is his name to me, LOL) is not a professional dancer? Well, he could have fooled me. LOL. Wow, that was interesting.

If that is the case, that is crazy. So, MJ makes a personal decision not to remake a Elvis song and these clowns wants to sue him? They need to sit down.

Last edited:

Well, I'll be.....:doh: Just when you think you've heard it all in MJland, there's something new to astound you. I can see the contract/song stuff being "business" (which is completely understandable if and when people SIGN things), but not the WHOLE visit. :wtf2 I could have sworn in that GQ magazine article that came out in 2006...the one I'm looking at right now in my hand, the Prince said "Michael is now as much my brother as my blood brothers are." So much for brotherhood, eh? :blink:

In the article it also said in Bahrain (and I quote) "royals express respect and love through the transmission of material comfort. It's Bedouin tradition: extreme hospitality." Once again, I guess it proves you can't believe everything you read....or the smoke people blow up your tookas. Next time Michael accepts an invitation to stay in someone's home he should work out whether it's genuine hospitality or a hotel in disguise. :ermm:

Thanks to all for the news. :flowers: Happy Weekend!

Last edited:

HM someone had other motives in being so nice nice to Michael when he extended his invitation

Exactly, and if it appears to me that the Prince's heart wasn't right in the first place when he welcomed Michael into his home. Seems to me that he wanted something from Michael and didn't get it. Now he is mad and wants everything back, including gifts from Michael. Indian giver.

I'm with you guys on this. IF he is such a friend why is he charging michael for staying at his home. I guess he in desperate need of michael's part of the phone, light, and water bill. And Here I was thinking that it was only the poor ppl who wants to gain something from michael. And they want him to record and elvis song. I see why michael turn that down.(if that's true)

Not say that he isn't entitled to it but why is the prince acting like he NEEDS that money. Michael just won his freedom back after going through an ordeal why try to take advantage of that. So now when michael comes to his sense and backs out you want to sue him for the deal and the light bill too. come on now.

They must thought michael was gonna put them on the map and when michael left they got mad. Mike really can trust no one.:no:

Yeah Mikejoefan, that's messed up when you think of it. Michael had JUST won his battle over here, he went to Bharain to recover and get away from everything. The Prince is there and offers a "helping hand", allowing Michael to be his "guest" and not worry about expenses. But now he's acting like he was charging Michael the whole time and he left without paying the bill. That's bullsh*t and shows a LACK of hospitality. Hospitality is supposed to be when you have someone and take care of them for nothing. But apparently, the Prince wasn't willing to do that. Basically, he took advantage of Michael's no doubt ravaged mental state at that time and now he want's to collect on that.

shame on that prince of bahrain :no: i thought he was his friend

I'm with you guys on this. IF he is such a friend why is he charging michael for staying at his home. I guess he in desperate need of michael's part of the phone, light, and water bill. And Here I was thinking that it was only the poor ppl who wants to gain something from michael. And they want him to record and elvis song. I see why michael turn that down.(if that's true)

Not say that he isn't entitled to it but why is the prince acting like he NEEDS that money. Michael just won his freedom back after going through an ordeal why try to take advantage of that. So now when michael comes to his sense and backs out you want to sue him for the deal and the light bill too. come on now.

They must thought Michael was gonna put them on the map and when michael left they got mad. Mike really can trust no one.:no:

Remember how when he was living over there almost every week there was a story about how happy he was over there? And, how he had bought a new home on the water and was sending his kids to school over there? I bet you a dollar to a doughnut it was the prince himself telling those stories to the press. I don't know about you guys but I always had a feeling that the prince of Bahrain was going to want something from Michael. Had no clue what it was but he just seemed way to nice and now we know. It also explains why Michael took off the way he did and why he cut off all ties with with the lawyers and the managers he had hired while he was over there

WOW lol you lot have gone on a complete offensive on yet another case you know nothing about. of course, it can never be Mike's fault for signing a contract, no no no
f_laugh.gif

and not saying that it is - because i don't know - that's the point.

Michael is no child or ignorant of businessmen and their intentions.

WOW lol you lot have gone on a complete offensive on yet another case you know nothing about. of course, it can never be Mike's fault for signing a contract, no no no
f_laugh.gif

and not saying that it is - because i don't know - that's the point.

Michael is no child or ignorant of businessmen and their intentions.

First of all no one is talking about the business part read what people are saying. People are talking about the fact this guy is trying to charge Michael for the time he spent over in Bahrain. Which is classless and shows what kind of person he is. Like it or not

^ how do you know that wasn't part of the contract? that's part of my point.

^ how do you know that wasn't part of the contract? that's part of my point.

Because the Prince was all over the place saying Michael is my guess my friend we welcome here I extended him the invite. That is how I know. If it was part of a contract he would have kept his mouth shut about how he welcomed him with open arms and shit you don't charge folks you invite to your home as a guess

^ why would he have shut his mouth if it was part of a contract? the bloke is a prima ballerina in the business world and no doubt after 40 years Mike knows exactly what business men are like whether they are Princes, Wall Street cats, Arabs, Jews, White or Black.

we really don't know enough to be scrutinising the situation in this way.

Back