Jay-Z Didn't Want Remake of 'We Are The World

Considering how many (uh...how do I say this nicely) idiots :doh: in Hollywood actually dived in for a remake without thinking , I think its safe to say he is one of the smartest in Hollywood for the time being when it came to this...

actually a lot of the bigger stars didnt participate. i mean some did but a large portion didnt

By Jay-Z's logic (which I agree with) then WBSS, Beat It etc shouldnt have been redone on T25!

Lucky for Jay-Z it wasn't his choice huh. and as for t25. that was Michael's choice to redo some of the songs.

Also many of the J5 songs were remakes..

Not really. ABC, I Want You Back, The Love You Save, Dancing Machine, I'll be There, etc. weren't remakes. They were originals.

At that time is was common practice (especially in Motown) for songs to be covered by multiple artists - ie: Who's Loving You, I Heard It Through the Grapevine, With a Child's Heart, etc.

But yea, I still agree with Jay-Z, it should not have been remade. But I do enjoy the remake, but I would have preferred the original 45 re-recording it, or atleast the original 45 (or 41, since I think 4 of the originals are no longer alive) to be a part of the new one.

I agree with Jay completely. They should have just made a new song, and marketed it as "JUST LIKE WE ARE THE WORLD!".

To do something for Haiti is a good cause. Nevermind if it's re-touching a proven classic.
For most part of the song, Michael wrote it and it's a foregone conclusion
Michael's part has to be featured and preserved as acknowledgement & tribute to his contribution. To think that it has to have the mother of Michael Jackson to seek Lionel & Quincy's consideration for this last minute addition leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

This screenshot was taken from the making of WATW25.

"The video was shot in 3-D, and green-screen technology will eventually allow viewers at home to place themselves in the chorus. "You would think we have a full-blown motion picture going in there," Richie marveled at a press conference earlier this month. "We have 3-D cameras, we have Technicolor cameras, we have every imaginable form of technology. You can put yourself into the 'We Are the World' family from the computer."
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1631794/20100212/story.jhtml

2dtod1z.jpg.

Then I was sent this image and the guy on the right looks familiar!
greengiantmj.jpg

bamsday2.jpg

14vgtog.jpg

Also for some reason AEG produced WATW25.

This screenshot was taken from the making of WATW25.

"The video was shot in 3-D, and green-screen technology will eventually allow viewers at home to place themselves in the chorus. "You would think we have a full-blown motion picture going in there," Richie marveled at a press conference earlier this month. "We have 3-D cameras, we have Technicolor cameras, we have every imaginable form of technology. You can put yourself into the 'We Are the World' family from the computer."
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1631794/20100212/story.jhtml

2dtod1z.jpg.

Then I was sent this image and the guy on the right looks familiar!
greengiantmj.jpg

bamsday2.jpg

14vgtog.jpg

Also for some reason AEG produced WATW25.

omfg! come ON!!!! stay out of them damn hoax sites PLEASE! your starting to piss me off.

^^ I didnt say anything about a hoax. Im looking fwd to the 3D version where we can put our face in the music video. I didnt know about that.

I agree with mr J-Z on this one,I forgive him for naming Usher the next kop,everyone has a bad day...Music is art,and deserves respect no matter what,you don't need to butcher a classic to raise money,there are plenty other ways,like 100 "artists" were not able to write a bunch of lines each?!

As far as I see it, yeah they shouldn't have remade it. But, saying that it's getting attention now, making money for a desperate cause and that's exactly what Michael intended for the song. I think that's what he would be focussing on with this version. Plus in a couple of years people probably won't even remember this version and if they do it'll probably be in a *cringe* kind of way. It's not hurting anyone and it's raising money for a good cause...so just let it slide.

I agree
I dont like Quincy Jones nor Randy Phillips :puke:.... and

i didnt like how they just dropped Michael's voice and image there... but hey this is just me...

Michael would have done a brand new song, Michael wouldnt have not put his old vocals there AT ALL,
he was not like that i think we all know.... Quincy should know...oops i missed out Jones and Phillips dont give a fck about Michael...

i agree with Jay Z , well said JAY Z

I agree with Jay-Z. Classics should never be edited or remade. It ruins it and takes away some of the magic.

You don't see Harper Lee re-writting "To Kill A Mockingbird..."

The music has not been re-recorded with the intention of comparison, it would be absurd
I do not like to criticize and I learned from Michael that I'm right in doing so
I love this song, and see it rewritten in favor of a cause of aid only makes
it is eternal like the authentic music of the world to help in national disasters, famine, etc. .....
For if I could raise money, they could not get the first song
and throw it again because everyone already has it
But rewriting the music, but i could collect a fee
They could not have used Mike, but they were fair and just and put your image
One who stays there Regravaçao
Rap in the end,Michael loves rap, the album he recorded with invincibility rappers had several songs where rappers algusn sang with him
Other recorded other songs but none with the power of WE ARE THE World
Jay-Z to forgive me ...... but it is not because the music he did with Rihanna and U2's Bono and The Edge
was not as valued as a music charity that represents people that he will
ai be talking about the remake of We Are the World as sung in all forms will be
always a beautiful and timeless songs help ...... after all they have the finger of Michael's success
and here to stay
Easy to criticize ........ I want to see up and do something

^^^Michael did criticized the music state of the 2000's for example he said that all the music sounded the SAME and he talked about how the dancing looked like they were in the gym :lol:

The music has not been re-recorded with the intention of comparison, it would be absurd
I do not like to criticize and I learned from Michael that I'm right in doing so
I love this song, and see it rewritten in favor of a cause of aid only makes
it is eternal like the authentic music of the world to help in national disasters, famine, etc. .....
For if I could raise money, they could not get the first song
and throw it again because everyone already has it
But rewriting the music, but i could collect a fee
They could not have used Mike, but they were fair and just and put your image
One who stays there Regravaçao
Rap in the end,Michael loves rap, the album he recorded with invincibility rappers had several songs where rappers algusn sang with him
Other recorded other songs but none with the power of WE ARE THE World
Jay-Z to forgive me ...... but it is not because the music he did with Rihanna and U2's Bono and The Edge
was not as valued as a music charity that represents people that he will
ai be talking about the remake of We Are the World as sung in all forms will be
always a beautiful and timeless songs help ...... after all they have the finger of Michael's success
and here to stay
Easy to criticize ........ I want to see up and do something

We have a completely different take on this project,but what's wrong about a critic?Without it we wouldn't form opinions and interpretations of any kind would be sterile and unconstructive.
And it doesn't mean at all, that the people who won't buy the single because it sucks big time haven't done anything anonymously to help Haiti in this terrible moment.
If MJ was involved in person with this new version I wouldn't change opinion...(but I refuse to believe he would have butcher it this way!)

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...we_are_the_world_compares_it_to_thriller.html

Added Jay, "I think it's time for us to make a new (song). I tried to do that with 'Stranded' " - the song he, Rihanna and U2's Bono and the Edge premiered at the 'Hope for Haiti Now' telethon. "I didn't try to make 'We Are the World,' but I tried to make our take on how we felt."

jfarber@nydailynews.com

Ahhh, and there we have the real reason hes not keen on WATW...cause its taking away from his own efforts. Might've known he couldnt ignore his ego and just appreciate that a charitable effort was being made.

I know the remake is for a good cause. I have to agree with Jay Z. You can't really remake a classic song like we are the world.

This wasn't a tribute to Michael, it is about raising as much money as possible, they have brought it up to date and hopefully that will attract younger people to it. I think as Michael updated some of his own songs he would have been ok about this. The extra lyrics personalised it too.
Re-read what he said, he never claimed this was a tribute to MJ or should be a tribute to him, regardless of the cause this song is untouchable and what Quincy Jones did to is rape, he raped and butchered the song. Genius Q should have taken all that talent he claims to have and written a new song, plain and simple.

Back