Jacksons To Be Honored as BMI Icons - will Michael attend?

I think he will be there. But some people wondered if he will perform. I think he will not. It would be better for the J5 if there was an all-star tribute performance. That would touch nowaday's youngsters more than aged men performing oldies. It would be different if the J5 had been regularly active so young people would know about it. I know so many young people who know who is Michael Jackson (not fans I mean), but they don't know his background at all.

Last edited:
Maybe he'll "surprise" us. :tease:

I'm not that keen to believe in "surprises" anymore because he has done that hardly at all anymore. It wouldn't surprise me if he just was there but the surprise means something more. Technically only the performance would surprise me really and I'm pretty sure he won't do that.

I'm not that keen to believe in "surprises" anymore because he has done that hardly at all anymore. It wouldn't surprise me if he just was there but the surprise means something more. Technically only the performance would surprise me really and I'm pretty sure he won't do that.

I said that as a joke.

WOW!!! GREAT NEWS!!!CONGRATULATIONS to Michael, to the Jackson family and all the fans too:)!!! We'd so love to see Michael attend the ceremony and bedazzle everyone with his amazing presence:wild:!
Michael Jackson-The King of Pop forever:clap:!!!

The Jacksons to be honored in L.A.
Reuters
Published: Tuesday, August 05, 2008
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The Jacksons will receive a lifetime achievement award
during performing rights group BMI's eighth annual Urban Awards on September 4.
I'm very happy to see the brothers being honored. It's about time.
Maybe other academies will follow suit and honor them as well.
After all, the group has acheived so much in their career.
From being the most infuential in pop &
R-n-B music to transcending all races with their music.
Even up to today as being the most sampled/emulated group thus far.
Not to mention breaking all sorts of records.
Yeah they deserve this. It feels like they should've been recognized
a long time ago for their accomplishments.
Soon it'll be Michaels' turn to receive his Lifetime achievement award too.
And yes, it would be nice if MJ attended this event because like Roxanne said,
as a member of the Jacksons/5, he should be there.

I congratulate ALL the Jackson brothers.:cheers:

May depend on where he is with the album.. If he announced it, or released a single by then.. They I think he'd be there FOR SURE.. without that, it's a toss up..

He is VERY, VERY picky on where he's seen!!! Keep that ora of mystery going before the album..

I think it will be interesting which artists will be participating in the tribute. Many have covered Michael's work, whether in tribute or not, but it's sorta rare to see many groups cover the Jacksons/J5. Are there any groups still together these days to even do this? Boys II Men, maybe? :unsure:

Anyone know if this is one of the first Jacksons/J5 tributes ever? Or did they get one during their induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? I missed some years so I'm not sure. :fear:

I was thinking the same thing, Wendy, but I dont recall any tributes being done. :unsure:
It shouldnt be a problem to have solos come together to do that tho.
Or maybe arrange to get the groups back together to perform the tribute.
Sorta like what Alicia Keys did on the BET Awards recently.
Hmmm............ :thinking:
BoysIIMen, New Edtition, Tony,Toni,Tone, Jagged Edge, B2K,NKOTB, NSync? Can you imagine? Lol!

i reckon of all the awards there is biggest chance he will attend this one.

this is respected.
i hope to see him there but wont be upset if he doesnt go.
he is the lead singer of the group. the most important cog. if jermaine was lead singer do u think the group would even be getting this award:lol: nope!

Now, now, now, Damien, I think Jermaine's grease always burns up my TV screen but the JACKSONS were a talented FAMILY UNIT. It just so happens that Michael was the most gifted. Berry Gordy was the reason MJ got top billing, honestly.

Last edited:
Now, now, now, Damien, I think Jermaine's grease always burns up my TV screen but the JACKSONS were a talented FAMILY UNIT. It just so happens that Michael was the most gifted. Berry Gordy was the reason MJ got top billing, honestly.

berry gordy is a genius;)

I do not like it whjen Michael is singled out. I feel that all he brothers made valued contribution to the group and the fans loved them all. Like the spice girls, fans had their favourite Jacksons and Michael was not always the favourite in the group. Many fans loved jermaine and Jackie too, in fact all the brothers were loved. I wish it would stay that way when it comes to J5.

I do not like it whjen Michael is singled out. I feel that all he brothers made valued contribution to the group and the fans loved them all. Like the spice girls, fans had their favourite Jacksons and Michael was not always the favourite in the group. Many fans loved jermaine and Jackie too, in fact all the brothers were loved. I wish it would stay that way when it comes to J5.

Yeah like the Supremes. They always signaled Diana but it wasn't just her group, Florence Ballard and Mary Wilson were her partners-in-crime for a time. That's the one thing I hated Berry Gordy for. Besides ripping Motown artists off of their royalties.

No one's putting the brothers down. It's just a fact though that Michael was the stand out member and the most important element in the group, he was an and it an exceptional talent, to say the least. Without him, they were no better then many groups coming out of that area at the time. Good, but not special. He made them special. (and no, I don't mean special like that)

Last edited:
No one's putting the brothers down. It's just a fact though that Michael was the stand out member and the most important element in the group, he was an and it an exceptional talent, to say the least. Without him, they were no better then many groups coming out of that area at the time. Good, but not special. He made them special. (and no, I don't mean special like that)
I do not believe that Berry Gordy would have signed up an entire group if Michael was the only talent there.
Jermaine was an exceptionally talented boy both vocally and instumentally. He is one of the greatest basist there were. He was only 14 at the time. That was unigue in itself. many J5 fans prefered jermaines voice to Michael's. There was a crisis when Jermaine left the group. it was a worldwide reporting. It was main news event. J5 fans were split in 2 because some went with Jermaine.
Berry Gordy was planning to keep Jermaine on as the next Marvin gaye. That was why Jermaine stayed. Part of the magic left the group when Jermaine left.
Tito was exceptionally talented with his guitar. Jackies Falsetto got fans crazy everytime he sang solo. The fans loved his sex appeal too. Oprah Winfrey confessed in MJ interview that Jackie was her favourite.
The fact is that all the Jacksons were loved equally, not just Michael.

Yes MJ stood out because of his talent and star qualities,but the j5 fans loved all the Jacksons equally. MJ was not loved more than the others. That is why Jackson fans are still clambering for a united j5. it was magic when they, all the brothers were on the stage. MJ is magic on his own, but part of that magic is missing when the brothers are not there with him. If I had to choose between MJ solo and MJ with his brothers I wouldn't hesitate to chose the latter. :D

The Jackson brothers made a record without Michael. It didn't work. I agree Wannabe, whether people like it or not Michael is one of those artists that are special and unique and they will make the group.

I do not believe that Berry Gordy would have signed up an entire group if Michael was the only talent there.
Jermaine was an exceptionally talented boy both vocally and instumentally. He is one of the greatest basist there were. He was only 14 at the time. That was unigue in itself. many J5 fans prefered jermaines voice to Michael's. There was a crisis when Jermaine left the group. it was a worldwide reporting. It was main news event. J5 fans were split in 2 because some went with Jermaine.
Berry Gordy was planning to keep Jermaine on as the next Marvin gaye. That was why Jermaine stayed. Part of the magic left the group when Jermaine left.
Tito was exceptionally talented with his guitar. Jackies Falsetto got fans crazy everytime he sang solo. The fans loved his sex appeal too. Oprah Winfrey confessed in MJ interview that Jackie was her favourite.
The fact is that all the Jacksons were loved equally, not just Michael.

Yes MJ stood out because of his talent and star qualities,but the j5 fans loved all the Jacksons equally. MJ was not loved more than the others. That is why Jackson fans are still clambering for a united j5. it was magic when they, all the brothers were on the stage. MJ is magic on his own, but part of that magic is missing when the brothers are not there with him. If I had to choose between MJ solo and MJ with his brothers I wouldn't hesitate to chose the latter. :D

Lol, of course Gordy wouldn't have signed Michael by himself as a group, lol. He would have signed Michael as a solo act though, I'd bet my life on it. There's never been a child singer with that kind of prowess and talent before, not even Stevie Wonder.

I don't want to get in to a discussion about this, but I'll simply say that there are far more Michael Jackson fans then there are Jackson Five/Jacksons fans, and the proof is in the sales. "OTW" skyrocketed when the Jacksons were basically floundering as a group. That shows that people wanted Michael on his own.

Jermaine is an okay vocalist and an okay basist, but hardly one of the best in the world. Tito isn't very talented, his guitar work is hardly exceptional, and Jackie has an extremely average voice. I'm just being honest.

Between seeing Michael solo and seeing him with his brothers, I would see Michael solo anyday. His brothers hold him back, for reasons I've outlined several times.

Last edited:
MJ sure made new fans when he went solo, but if you asked many MJ fans that were around at the time they will tell you they were J5 and Jackson fans. MJ was already a superstar before he went solo. The entire jackson clan were talented. When jermaine left the group the group suffered, even when MJ was in it. They had to work very hard to rebuilt. When Michael left the group, of course it did suffer, he was the lead singer. Nobody has ever doubted that MJ was the most talented of the jacksons, but to say that without MJ they were just ordinary boyband is unfair. Most boybands do not write their own songs, play their own instrument and do their own choreography. The jacksons were never from a conveyor belt music industry. they came up the hard way and rightfully took their place among the greatest. It is sad that some MJ fans wish to downplay this part of their history. Very sad.

I'm not trying to do that, I'm simply being realistic. You exaggerate their talent. The J5 had to use other musicians in their live shows to make up for the shortcomings, guitarists, organ players, drummers, etc. And most of the instruments were played by other musicians on their records. Randy and Michael wrote MOST of the Jacksons material, and as the J5 they didn't write any of their own music. The group was suffering on the Motown label, with Jermaine. They did no worse then they were doing on Motown after they moved to epic and Jermaine stayed behind. Most people didn't even notice he was gone. The fact that 7 million people bought "OTW" when it came out, and all of the Jacksons pervious albums sold a small fraction of that, shows that the majority of the music buying populice was more interested in Michael on his own then with his brothers.

Last edited:
I never exaggerated the jacksons talent. All I ever said is that they were talented and they were as much loved as part of the group as Michael was. That has nothing to do with exaggeration. it is the truth. the way some MJ fans speak about the jacksons make them sound underserving and make it sound as if only MJ contributed to the group. That is untrue and very unfair.
The Jacksons had to have other musicians, There wasn't enough oif them to play all the instruments. But they did play their own even at the tender age of 14 and 15. Randy was a master on the bongos when he was only 10.
Marlon was the chief choreographer for the group. There are many in showbusiness today who were influenced by the group., Many took up playing music cause they wanted to be like Tito and Jermaine. They all contributed to the music industry. that is why they all have a star in Hollywood walk of fame and are inducted in the RnR hall of fame and that is why they are being awarded in Sept.
They had a lasting impact in the music world. They all did it together.
They also nurtured both Michael and Janet and help to give them the confidence to do what they do. That too is very important.

They contributed, but my only point was that without Michael, they were decidedly average. Michael, Marlon and Jackie were the primary choreographers for the group, but many of their steps were choreographed by Motown employees as well. They had better guitarists and bass players on stage with them at there shows because Tito and Jermaine aren't that good. Randy is a good musician. I would say that both Randy and Jermaine are talented, but neither of them are talented enough to stand out, at least not back then, in that enviornment. My only point of contention is that without Michael, they wouldn't have made it. I said he was the most VITAL member, not that he was the only one that counted for anything.

They contributed, but my only point was that without Michael, they were decidedly average. Michael, Marlon and Jackie were the primary choreographers for the group, but many of their steps were choreographed by Motown employees as well. They had better guitarists and bass players on stage with them at there shows because Tito and Jermaine aren't that good. Randy is a good musician. I would say that both Randy and Jermaine are talented, but neither of them are talented enough to stand out, at least not back then, in that enviornment. My only point of contention is that without Michael, they wouldn't have made it. I said he was the most VITAL member, not that he was the only one that counted for anything.
The Jackson family includes Michael. Nobody wants to see the group without Michael, cause he is the lead singer. But Hardly anyone wants to see the group without Jermaine or jackie or Marlon. All of these people are iconic and are landmarks in many peoples life. Esp the black community.Every member is essentially and equally important, and as much as Michael is talented and can hold his own, the magic is still missing without his brothers. If you don't believe me then checkout the comments on youtube from people who were there when the jacksons were doing their thing. Watch the reaction at MSG when all the brothers appeared on stage.
I have heard many fans say that his victory tour was his best, some even say Triumph. He had all his brothers with him. When they are all on stage together, we have dynamite.

We already know that MJ going on tour will be big news. I would bet my last dollar that MJ going on tour with his brothers would bring the house down. That would be the mother of all news. :D

Last edited:
Well I've seen people go hystarical and faint when just Michael is on stage. Jackie wasn't on the Victory tour and hardly anybody cared. The group can go on as long as Michael is there. They can't if he's not. They can go on however without any other member, except Michael. That's been proven over the years. Michael is the essential member. I'm not trying to diss them, I'm just being realistic. The magic is hardly missing without the brothers. Michael rules the stage. He doesn't need anybody on there but himself. He's the greatest performing artist in history, and to say he needs his brothers or he's missing something without them is in a way to undermine that fact. By the time "Triumph" came around, people were calling it "The Michael Jackson Show", he so dominated the stage. On his own, millions of people in places previously uncharted by pop stars, such as Asia, came to see him, far more then ever went to see the J5/Jacksons. His presence alone causes mass hystaria and millions more have bought his solo records as opposed to his records with the J5/Jacksons. It's absurd to insinuate that he's more popular with his brothers, because statistics say the exact opposite. Of course people who have a longing for nostalgia want to see the group together, but millions more, outside of youtube (because such a small percentage of the world is actually cruising youtube) would want to see Michael and Michael alone.

Last edited:
Millions of the fans passing out at mJ concerts were already J5 and jackson fans., They just contunued being an MJ supporter. they are still around waiting for the J5 to reform. Yes, MJ is brilliant on stage by himself, but he is even more dynamic with is brothers. They are the engine that drives him. to the people who never experienbced the jackson, MJ solo is the best. To those who have experienced all the brothers, MJ solo is missing the gravy. I think MJ knows this that is why he always do a spot for his brothers where he names each one of them on stage. the jackson brothers with MJ, nothing better.

Last edited:
I've seen plenty of footage and concerts with the brothers and Michael solo, and Michael is better on his own. Take Motown 25 for example. His performance with his brothers was good, as always, but it was his solo performance which blew people's minds. His brothers hold him back because a: they can't do his choreogrpahy, b: he can find better vocalists to back him (which he has) and c: he can find better musicisans (which he has). Michael on stage by himself, there's nothing better then that. His talent envelops the stage when there are no outside distractions and you are able to concentrate soley on him. You see then how truly talented he is, when he's on his own. He is utterly hypnotizing when you have only to focus on. People who were at Michael's concerts in the late 80s and early 90s, many of them were too young to have ever seen him with his brothers. They were fans of Michael. The millions of people who bought "OTW" but who didn't buy "Triumph" or "Victory", they were Michael Jackson fans. Millions more then ever bought any Jacksons record bought Michael's solo albums. There's no denying that.

Last edited:
Back