Jacksons To Be Honored as BMI Icons - will Michael attend?

mjdove

Proud Member
August 4, 2008

Jacksons To Be Honored as BMI Icons

The Jacksons will be named BMI Icons at the organization’s eighth annual Urban Awards ceremony, to be held Thursday, September 4, in Los Angeles. Staged at the Wilshire Theatre in Beverly Hills, the event will also salute the world’s premier r&b, rap and hip-hop songwriters, producers and publishers by touting the most-performed urban songs of the past year in the BMI repertoire. BMI President & CEO Del Bryant will share hosting duties with Vice President, Writer/Publisher Relations, Atlanta, Catherine Brewton.

The Icon designation is given to BMI songwriters and artists who have had “a unique and indelible influence on generations of music makers.” The Jacksons will be saluted with an all-star musical tribute during the ceremony, and join an elite group that includes James Brown, Isaac Hayes, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, The Bee Gees, Willie Nelson and Carlos Santana, to name a few.

One of pop music’s most influential quintets, The Jacksons blazed a trail for r&b and pop music, creating a sound and musical image that is emulated to this day. Hailing from Gary, Indiana, and formed in 1966, the Jackson brothers — Jackie, Tito, Jermaine, Marlon, Michael and, joining in 1976, younger brother Randy — were a true American success story, transcending race and redefining the sound of pop and r&b music. They were the first group to have their first four singles hit #1, and they remain one of the most globally influential pop and r&b groups in music. The Jackson 5 were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1997. In addition to being premier recording and performing artists, the Jacksons wrote multiple hits, including the ’80s “Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground),” “2300 Jackson Street,” “Can You Feel It,” and “State of Shock.”

In addition to the Icon presentation, BMI will recognize the year’s top urban songs, crowning the Urban Songwriter, Song, Producer and Publisher of the Year award winners.

http://www.bmi.com/
http://www.bmi.com/news/entry/537038

+++

BMI to honor the Jacksons at annual Urban Awards

Monday, August 4, 2008

(08-04) 06:05 PDT LOS ANGELES, (AP) --

There's a possibility for a Jacksons reunion of sorts — the brothers are set to be honored as BMI Icons at its annual Urban Awards next month.

So far, all the brothers, with the exception of Michael, have confirmed their attendance at the event, to be held Sept. 4 at the Wilshire Theatre in Beverly Hills, according to Broadcast Music Inc.'s publicist. An all-star tribute is planned, according to a release issued Monday.

The Jackson Five — which included Michael along with Marlon, Jackie, Tito and Jermaine — were a groundbreaking, best-selling act with classics that include "ABC" and "I Want You Back"; they have been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The group, with brother Randy replacing Jermaine, became the Jacksons after leaving Motown in 1976. They continued their multiplatinum success with hits including "Heartbreak Hotel" and "Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)."

Both versions of the group will be honored.

There have been rumblings of a possible Jacksons reunion for years. The last album that featured all of them in some form was in 1989 and they haven't performed together in years.

The BMI Urban Awards honor R&B and hip-hop's top hitmakers.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?

The Jacksons to Be Honored as BMI Icons at 8th Annual Urban Music Awards, Slated for Sept. 4

© Business Wire 2008
2008-08-04 15:51:03 -

The Jacksons will be named BMI Icons at the organization's eighth annual Urban Awards ceremony, to be held Thursday, September 4, in Los Angeles. Staged at the Wilshire Theatre in Beverly Hills, the event will also salute the world's premier r&b, rap and hip-hop songwriters, producers and publishers by touting the most-performed urban songs of the past year in the BMI repertoire. BMI President & CEO Del Bryant will share hosting duties with Vice President, Writer/Publisher Relations, Atlanta, Catherine Brewton.

The Icon designation is given to BMI songwriters and artists who have had "a unique and indelible influence on generations of music makers." The Jacksons will be saluted with an all-star musical tribute during the ceremony, and join an elite group that includes James Brown, Isaac Hayes, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, The Bee Gees, Willie Nelson and Carlos Santana, to name a few.

One of pop music's most influential quintets, The Jacksons blazed a trail for r&b and pop music, creating a sound and musical image that is emulated to this day. Hailing from Gary, Indiana, and formed in 1966, the Jackson brothers--Jackie, Tito, Jermaine, Marlon, Michael and, joining in 1976, younger brother Randy--were a true American success story, transcending race and redefining the sound of pop and r&b music. They were the first group to have their first four singles hit #1, and they remain one of the most globally influential pop and r&b groups in music. The Jackson 5 were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1997. In addition to being premier recording and performing artists, the Jacksons wrote multiple hits, including the '80s "Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)," "2300 Jackson Street," "Can You Feel It," and "State of Shock."

In addition to the Icon presentation, BMI will recognize the year's top urban songs, crowning the Urban Songwriter, Song, Producer and Publisher of the Year award winners.

To request press credentials for the 2008 BMI Urban Awards please apply at www.bmi.com/press/credentials.

Broadcast Music, Inc.(R) (BMI) is an American performing right organization that represents more than 375,000 songwriters, composers and music publishers in all genres of music and more than 6.5 million works. BMI's most recent financial results, $839 million in performing right collections for its fiscal year ending June 30, 2007, were the highest for any copyright organization in the world. BMI has represented the most popular and beloved music from around the world for over 65 years. The non-profit-making U.S. corporation collects license fees from businesses that use music, which it then distributes as royalties to the musical creators and copyright owners it represents.

BMI Los Angeles
Hanna Pantle, 310-289-6328
hpantle@bmi.com
Marlene Meraz, 310-289-6325
mmeraz@bmi.com
or
W&W Public Relations
Patti Webster, 732-469-5955
patti@w-wpr.com

http://www.pr-inside.com/the-jacksons-to-be-honored-as-r736960.htm

Last edited:
Well, since Michael was the leading member of the group, I would think he would show up, lol. Hopefully he will.

Awesomeness! Congrats to Michael and his brothers. :cheers:

If he decides not to attend, there's always via satellite? Or maybe not? :lol: Should be interesting either way since it's a great honor for the group. Can't wait to see what happens.

Thanks for posting. :flowers:

To be honest I don't think he'l attend.. he never does anyway.. No disrespect intended Mike, just stating the facts.

Michael's hard to figure out. I hope he will but if not oh well, lol... least he and his brothers are getting recognized for all the stuff they did together.

this is a great and wonderful honor for the Jacksons.. and the Jackson family...

it would be nice to NOT put any conditions on Michael ... the honor is his.. (as well as his brothers).. let the man choose how he wants to accept the honor..without ridicule, forced expectations...etc..

the media always presents it that its Michael's fault..if he doesn't show up for something.. when we don't now the facts...

I am just happy that they are being recognized....

this is a great and wonderful honor for the Jacksons.. and the Jackson family...

it would be nice to NOT put any conditions on Michael ... the honor is his.. (as well as his brothers).. let the man choose how he wants to accept the honor..without ridicule, forced expectations...etc..

the media always presents it that its Michael's fault..if he doesn't show up for something.. when we don't now the facts...

I am just VERY.. VERY happy that they are being recognized....

Totally Rasta. I really don't want to come on here if Michael doesn't come and see people calling him names or saying he stuck up or some bull like that if he doesn't come. The truth is, he's got a very busy life, already filled with expectations, and I'm sure he's grateful whether he shows up or not. He's always grateful.

Totally Rasta. I really don't want to come on here if Michael doesn't come and see people calling him names or saying he stuck up or some bull like that if he doesn't come. The truth is, he's got a very busy life, already filled with expectations, and I'm sure he's grateful whether he shows up or not. He's always grateful.

From your lips to God's ears. :flowers:

Yep Rasta, in my opinion, this a great honor for the ENTIRE Jackson family.

I hope Joseph and Katherine are sitting in the FRONT seat when this ceremony is conducted.

i totally agree. the media acts that way out of jealousy and because they see him as the biggest star in the world..and they feel the need to see him just like we do..but they have a crude way of showing it and that's no excuse for them.

whatever he does..the media knows he is grateful for the honors, whether they admit it or not.

so...no expectations.

having said that..i have a feeling he probably would show up for this one..and i've never hazarded a guess before, concerning him. but anyway..whatever he does, concerning this..i congratulate him. He and his brothers deserve the honor.

and i will go out on another limb and say that i am certain that the media is certain that MJ and his brothers deserve this honor.

Last edited:

:clapping: AMEN to THAT!

http://mjjr.net/news.php

BMI has confirmed to MJJR.net that members of the Jackson 5 will indeed be in attendance to pick up the award, although the names of those expected to attend have yet to be made public. The event is private, invitation-only, but updates will be provided throughout the day on BMI's official site.

Let the speculation begin...
lol
I hope he attends, it would be very nice to see him with his brothers again.

if he does he does if he doesnt he doesnt. no biggy after all its a few new pics and maybe some footage. its not like you are waiting on a concert.certainly aint gonna lose sleep over it whatever happens.

Last edited:
Right on, elusive. Besides this award is to celebrate the Jacksons' 40 years of musical achievements, really, and not just the Jackson 5 or Michael or Janet or even the Jacksons as a group. :)

Joseph & Katherine has to be very proud of their children for real. :yes:

I think he'll go. Not to perform or anything but to say thanks.

That is actually a great way to start a comeback, first T25 and then getting an award for the stuff he has done in the past. This way focus gets back where it belongs, on the music, not the man.

If people focus on the music and not rumors and stupid stuff that's a start.

Back