"It's not Michael Jackson" - Will.I.Am

samhabib

Proud Member
"I heard the song that's on the Internet now ['Breaking News'] and I'm like, 'That ain't Mike.'"

Black Eyed Peas frontman will.i.am says releasing a Michael Jackson album after the King of Pop's death is "disgusting."

Speaking to Austin Scaggs for Rolling Stone, the performer and producer says the new material "ain't Mike" and that songs he recorded with the superstar will never be released to the public.

"A couple of months before Michael died, he called me on the phone really upset," he tells the magazine, explaining that Michael was very upset that somebody had leaked a song on the internet called "Hold My Hand."

"I knew this man," he added. "And he was very critical about every single detail. He stood in the studio himself, mastering and mixing everything. How can you release a record without that Michael Jackson? It's not Michael Jackson. I heard the song that's on the Internet now ['Breaking News'] and I'm like, 'That ain't Mike.' He wasn't there to do his micro-Michael-managing that he did with 'Thriller' and 'Billie Jean.' It disgusts me."

http://www.etonline.com/music/104056_Michael_Jackson_Album_Disgusts_william/index.html

Isn't Will.I.Am the last producer that Michael recorded with?

Re: "That ain't Mike" - Will.I.Am

samhabib;3135874 "I knew this man said:
I heard the song that's on the Internet now ['Breaking News'] and I'm like, 'That ain't Mike.' He wasn't there to do his micro-Michael-managing that he did with 'Thriller' and 'Billie Jean.' It disgusts me."[/B]

http://www.etonline.com/music/104056_Michael_Jackson_Album_Disgusts_william/index.html

Does he mean the voice is not MJ, or that MJ would have done it differently? Like if MJ had released the album he would have done some micro-Michael-managing on the song?

I think he means this is not the way MJ would have done it, not that the vocals are not MJ.

My personal wish is that THEY STOP RELEASING NEW MUSIC simply because he's not here to perfect it!

But since they are...we might as well get it to #1...

Does he mean the voice is not MJ, or that MJ would have done it differently? Like if MJ had released the album he would have done some micro-Michael-managing on the song?

I think he means this is not the way MJ would have done it, not that the vocals are not MJ.

It does sound like he's speaking figuratively, and not literally. So he could be refering to the production rather than the vocals.

Are you saying this in all honesty? Seriously?

"I heard the song that's on the Internet now ['Breaking News'] and I'm like, 'That ain't Mike.'"

Will, I respect you as an artist and as a very loyal friend to Michael. However, you have to understand something. Michael(RIP), Is up there with his maker now, he is not with us and WE all know that what ever music that comes out after this will not be to the extent that Michael will ever do it. But we all have to take what we can get now. We dont have any choice. Missing him and NOT Having what he was working on for US(The fans) Is not the right thing. YOU(Will) Have worked with Him, sat in his presence and talked and laughed with him. But Us(the fans) Never got to see that and i believe it is unfair to cut Michael Short like that. I Am glad that Michael's music is gonna be heard one more time and I know What ever happenes, We'll NEVER let go of him! and The album will do Amazingly!

L.o.v.e.
Romi

Are you saying this in all honesty? Seriously?

But he also added after that quote, "He wasn't there to do his micro-Michael-managing that he did with 'Thriller' and 'Billie Jean.' It disgusts me." So he could be refering to just that, the absence of Michael's micro-managing, rather than the absence of Michael's vocals.

Oh brother. Will needs to stop talking. We've heard him say that he doesn't agree with releasing new MJ albums and that's fine but must he keep reiterating it in order to try and make the rest of us feel like crap for wanting unreleased material? We are fans and of course we want MJ's scraps regardless of how fine tuned they are- finished or not. Do I believe MJ wouldn't want us to have his leftovers?... absolutely not! Michael was very generous and I'm sure that he would very much want us to have whatever we could, especially since the earnings will help secure his childrens future.

So with all the talk, around the world, of 'fake' vocals, you think Will.I.Am would 'figuratively' say 'It's not Michael Jackson'?

Wow. I have nothing else to say. Really.

That's what I thought too. Apparently samhabib thinks I'm stupid for thinking that. :lol:

Don't put words in my mouth. IF that's what you think of yourself, fine. But don't put words in my mouth.

Hess;3135885 said:

:agree: That´s how I understood it aswell. :unsure:

I think that will.i.am is "disgusting" and that the new music is amazing. If he has something better he should release it. Such a selfish hypocrit. I just hope that RedOne is not like him..

So with all the talk, around the world, of 'fake' vocals, you think Will.I.Am would 'figuratively' say 'It's not Michael Jackson'?

Are you not reading the quote in it's entirety or does reading out of it's context better suit your own agenda???

Scream-michael-jackson-9603451-315-240.gif

Yes, given that his following comment was that Michael wasn't there to do his "micro-Michael-managing", I would think he was refering to that and hence, he probably meant in a figurative sense that it wasn't Michael's work.

Quote:

"I heard the song that's on the Internet now ['Breaking News'] and I'm like, 'That ain't Mike.' He wasn't there to do his micro-Michael-managing that he did with 'Thriller' and 'Billie Jean.' It disgusts me."

Yes, given that his following comment was that Michael wasn't there to do his "micro-Michael-managing", I would think he was refering to that and hence, he probably meant in a figurative sense that it wasn't Michael's work.

Quote:

"I heard the song that's on the Internet now ['Breaking News'] and I'm like, 'That ain't Mike.' He wasn't there to do his micro-Michael-managing that he did with 'Thriller' and 'Billie Jean.' It disgusts me."

BINGO! Case solved. Move it along folks. There's nothing to see here.

I think that will.i.am is "disgusting" and that the new music is amazing. If he has something better he should release it. Such a selfish hypocrit. I just hope that RedOne is not like him..

As a fan I'm glad that the new stuff is released, but I think Will.I.Am is right here. In fact the new songs are like remixes, you know... Some of them are more amateurish, like 'Hollywood Tonight' (though the song is amazing), some are less, like TWYLM. I believe if Michael finished them, they would sound completely different.
So I see no reason for blaming Will like that. How is he a hypocrite?

Personally, I think this is getting old. Will.i.am has been saying in effect that this album should have never been even thought of in the first place, let alone released, for months now. Even if there had been no controversy over the vocals, he still most likely would have been unhappy about it. I understand how he feels about this. And that's fine with me. But I think he made his point quite awhile ago. The album, whether he likes it or not, is out now. Will.i.am obviously can't do anything about it. He has a great career still ahead of him. And I think he needs to move on.

Last edited:

It's all subjective when it comes to one's opinions on the new music. No reason to just write Will.I.Am off as "disgusting" if he doesn't share your thoughts. Whatever Will.I.Am chooses to do with the songs he recorded with Michael is up to him. It's not our right to demand they be released, and call him selfish if he doesn't.

But how did you come to the conclusion that he's a hypocrite?

Black Eyed Peas frontman will.i.am says releasing a Michael Jackson album after the King of Pop's death is "disgusting."

Speaking to Austin Scaggs for Rolling Stone, the performer and producer says the new material "ain't Mike" and that songs he recorded with the superstar will never be released to the public.

I ain't trying to DISS Will.I.Am, I know he and Michael were good friends, but yo, homeboy needs to change the record already. EVERYTIME somebody puts a mic in front of his face will he be addressing his DISGUST! I mean, really.

First of all, is the Estate supposed to just sit on all of Michael's unreleased work, from now until the end of time, in my opinion, that's not how it works.

Secondly, I notice that Will.I.Am likes to say how the music he did with Michael will NEVER be released. Is he just saying that now, or will he be changing his mind 6, 7, 8, 9 years from now?

(6, 7, 8, 9 years from now, when he has NO career, I bet he will be more than happy to release his work with Michael. WATCH!)

Third, we heard what he had to say, now he needs to WORRY about the future of his own group, because they appear to have lost their "spark."

As a fan I'm glad that the new stuff is released, but I think Will.I.Am is right here. In fact the new songs are like remixes, you know... Some of them are more amateurish, like 'Hollywood Tonight' (though the song is amazing), some are less, like TWYLM. I believe if Michael finished them, they would sound completely different.
So I see no reason for blaming Will like that. How is he a hypocrite?

I am saying that because he is claiming to know MJ better than anyone else.. better then Teddy Riley who worked with Michael on 4 projects for over 10 years, better then his Estate, better then Rodney Jerkins who worked a lot longer with MJ then will.i.am did. They worked together for couple of months in 2006-2007 and that is it. I don't like him at all.

I know that Michael would do everything different but he is not here with us anymore, and his music and his legacy needs to live for future generations and new music will help that. And will.i.am is not helping in that mission!

I ain't trying to DISS Will.I.Am, I know he and Michael were good friends, but yo, homeboy needs to change the record already. EVERYTIME somebody puts a mic in front of his face will he be addressing his DISGUST! I mean, really.

First of all, is the Estate supposed to just sit on all of Michael's unreleased work, from now until the end of time, in my opinion, that's not how it works.

Secondly, I notice that Will.I.Am likes to say how the music he did with Michael will NEVER be released. Is he just saying that now, or will he be changing his mind 6, 7, 8, 9 years from now?

(6, 7, 8, 9 years from now, when he has NO career, I bet he will be more than happy to release his work with Michael. WATCH!)

Third, we heard what he had to say, now he needs to WORRY about the future of his own group, because they appear to have lost their "spark."

His new album isn't doing so well, so it could be sooner than later.

I've always respected Will.i.am, and this only makes me respect him even more.

Michael should have had more true friends like him.

Back