I'm worried... Are you any of you...?

I am abit worried because places like the tube concert halls and cinemas are i suppose the easiest way to catch this flu virus. But i think we all have to be vigilant and so far the people who have caught it here only have mild cases and easily treated

I hope for everything will be better soon, no concert canceled, no more people died from the flu, no border closed :no: We have time and we all have the way to solve for every problems :praying And Michael always choose the best way for him and all of us, I believe.

I hope for everything will be better soon, no concert canceled, no more people died from the flu, no border closed :no: We have time and we all have the way to solve for every problems :praying And Michael always choose the best way for him and all of us, I believe.

I agree with that. If Michael's concerts become a real threat for people going to them of course they will be cancelled or rescheduled. It's the right thing to do, and Michael as we all know values the welfare of everyone before anything. Obviously peoples health is paramount. If things escalate I for one won't worry about the concerts, just that everyone is ok and if that's the measure that needs to be taken so be it. Who knows what will happen in the next two months with this flu, I just hope and pray people who are affected recover well and none of this being mentioned in this thread will have to happen. It's a terrible thing. As I said earlier in this thread though, I won't worry until it gets to that point. It's media hype at the moment imo.

i see no reason to worry. honestly. the flu will go away soon. the shows start in 2 months from now. everything will be fine by then.

Many more people die from the normal flu every year.. Don't worry about it.. I think the only reason a big ideal is being made over it is because of the state of world economy.. it takes peoples mind off it..

There really is no point in worrying about this prematurely, although I certainly do understand the concern.

As far as "media-hype" goes, what's important to look at is what agencies such as the CDC and WHO actually SAY. Also, look at what countries actually DO, which is reality and has nothing to do with media-hype. Mexico City has basically rolled up the sidewalks. No public events, schools closed, restaurants doing "take-out" only, if at all. And so on. (From the U.S., it's recommended that only "necessary" trips be taken to Mexico.)

The flu seems to be mild. I've also seen it predicted that there will be a second wave of it in the fall. At that point, though, a vaccine might have been developed.

In the U.S. there are now cases in MY state, some at a university. Those people have already recovered, though.

So I'd just say sit-tight, don't stress too much, and certainly don't panic, and just see what develops?

peace,

Vic

Thanks, Vic. First of all, with so much time and money I've spent on this dream and getting this close to it coming true, I will worry about it whether there's a flu or not!

Secondly, I did read an article earlier today about how there were no deaths reported from the Swine Flu last night, so they think the worst is over. The only country that's 90% closed off its borders is Mexico. And if one can do it, of course all can, but since the USA and UK still have open travel, I'm not "worried."

I just hope that there are no more deaths. I hope that the worst truly is over and we're coming out of it. I truly don't think this flu is more dangerous than any other. I just wish they weren't making it in to something more than it has to be.

A gentle reminder to everyone, to be respectful. A person's opinion is his/her OWN opinion and should be valued as such. OK?

Facts continue to develop. Now we know that at least outside of Mexico, this flu seems to be milder than first thought. Not even the CDC can predict the pattern of infection and there is much we don't know. It's ok to be concerned, but if you are TOO concerned then you are harming yourself with worry! Just hang in there and see what happens, and don't wreck today worrying about tomorrow too much?

I've been respectful. ;)

I'm not too concerned. And no, I'm living today just fine, so I'm not wrecking today.

Thanks for reminding everyone, though.

Supriisingly, I thought about this aswel

As worrying as the current situation is I doubt that it's going to have the potential of halting everyones everyday activities. W/experiements on-going w/those affected I think that as time passes they'll be able to effectively treat this flu w/little difficulty.

I think the amount of media attention and hype this story is getting it's w/out doubt it's creating alot of hysteria amoung the masses. I'm not disputing the severity of this illness as unfortuntaely people have died but I believe that we'lll get a better understanding as to how to sustain the level of infection w/out spreading further.

As much as it's natural to be worry I don't think it's going to effect Michael concerts all that much and if they do they'll most certainly be re-scheduled.
You have pretty much summed up the important points. It is right for the CDC and WHO to be concerned and on top of this. Because they are we will hopefully have medical measures that can be taken by July. As it is vacines are already required for foreign travel. This would be just one to add if the need arises.

The horse is already out of the barn so I don't really think that borders will be closed. In this day and age it is not possible to contain a disease that way. What is possible more problematic is packing a bunch of people in an arena together. Those type of things might be closed if the really did get to be a serious epidemic. I have read that it is tranfered via droplets. Maybe the idea of a bunch of people in face masks is not so far fetched.

As it is vacines are already required for foreign travel. This would be just one to add if the need arises.

What is possible more problematic is packing a bunch of people in an arena together. Those type of things might be closed if the really did get to be a serious epidemic. I have read that it is tranfered via droplets. Maybe the idea of a bunch of people in face masks is not so far fetched.
Yes, vaccines are required for a lot of countries with foreign travel, but how about the UK? I don't think any would be needed coming from the USA... Unless, of couse, like you said... For this flu.

And yes, masks would be a safe route to take, should this thing be that much of a risk. I'd still be jamming at the concerts! ;)

This is an "ugh..." moment!

MEXICO CITY – Mexico reported no new deaths from swine flu overnight — more reason to be optimistic that the worst is over at the epicenter of the outbreak. But the virus keeps spreading around the world, with new cases confirmed in Latin America, Europe and Asia, and governments banning flights and preparing quarantines.

The World Health Organization said it has sent 2.4 million treatments of anti-flu drug Tamiflu to 72 developing countries, taking the drugs from a stockpile donated by Roche Holding AG.

"At this point it's important that all countries have access to antivirals," said Dr. Mike Ryan, WHO's global alert and response director.
The WHO has decided not to raise its alert to a full pandemic, since the virus has yet to cause sustained transmission outside North America. But Ryan warned against complacency.

"These viruses mutate, these viruses changes, these viruses can further reassort with other genetic material, with other viruses. So it would be imprudent at this point to take too much reassurance" from signs the virus is weaker than feared.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention also said it's too early to declare victory.

"We have seen times where things appear to be getting better and then get worse again," said Dr. Anne Schuchat, the U.S. agency's interim science and public health deputy director. "I think in Mexico we may be holding our breath for sometime."

Costa Rica reported its first confirmed swine flu case — and the first flu case in Latin America outside Mexico.

And China worked aggressively to track down people who may have been near a sick Mexican tourist, sealing 305 people inside a Hong Kong hotel where he stayed and hospitalizing 15 fellow passengers. The man developed a fever after arriving in the Chinese territory and was isolated in stable condition Saturday.

South Korea reported Asia's second confirmed case — a woman just back from Mexico — and other governments also prepared to quarantine passengers, eager to show how they have learned from the deadly SARS epidemic in 2003, when Hong Kong was criticized for imposing quarantines too slowly.

The U.S. is taking "all necessary precautions" now to be prepared if the swine flu develops into "something worse" President Barack Obama said Saturday.

"This is a new strain of the flu virus, and because we haven't developed an immunity to it, it has more potential to cause us harm," Obama said. "Unlike the various strains of animal flu that have emerged in the past, it's a flu that is spreading from human to human. This creates the potential for a pandemic, which is why we are acting quickly and aggressively."

The global caseload was 718 and growing — the vast majority in Mexico, the U.S. and Canada. Swine flu cases also were confirmed in 14 other countries — in Europe, the Middle East, Asia and the Pacific — and experts believe the actual spread is much wider than the numbers suggest.

Mexico has taken extraordinary measures against the epidemic, ordering all nonessential government and private businesses to shut down for five days, at a tremendous cost to its economy. In the wide valley where traffic and crowds can be stifling even on a Saturday, Mexico City streets were strangely quiet, its usually crowded markets shuttered and even parks locked down.

"I'm going crazy in my house with this confinement," retiree Rocio Lara said in Mexico City. "There is nowhere to go, nowhere to spend your time."
Mexico City's mayor Marcelo Ebrard said they had expected exponential growth in the number of persons complaining of swine flu symptoms, and that the outbreak seems to be slowing instead.

It should soon become clear whether the epidemic is really stabilizing in Mexico, but many questions remain about how the disease kills, said the leader of an international team of flu-fighters now operating in the capital.
"That is the big question: Is it stabilizing or not? And it is too early to say, but I think we are getting systems in place where we are going to be able to get a handle on this soon," said Dr. Steve Waterman of the CDC.

Waterman also warned against taking false comfort from the fact that only one person has died outside Mexico, saying more deaths are likely as the epidemic evolves.

The U.S. government said schools with confirmed cases should close for at least 14 days because children can be contagious for seven to 10 days from when they get sick. More than 430 U.S. schools had closed, affecting about 245,000 children in 18 states.

With the disease on its doorstep, mainland China suspended all direct flights from Mexico, and sealed off the Metropark Hotel, where the 25-year-old Mexican stayed before he became Asia's first confirmed case late Friday. Health workers in white bodysuits patrolled the lobby, and mask-wearing police enforced a seven-day quarantine. One guest, Olivier Dolige of Paris, said they were taking Tamiflu as a precaution — and trying to make the best of it.

Speaking with The Associated Press using his computer's video-conferencing program, Dolige said he will turn 43 on Tuesday in quarantine. "I think about having my birthday with water and bad cake," he wrote. "No champagne."

Scientists trying to determine the mortality rate said this virus does not appear to match the ferocity of past killers.
"Most people think it is unlikely this is going to be as virulent as the 1918 epidemic. From what we know so far, it doesn't seem like it is as virulent," Waterman said.

"The virus has been circulating for over a month in a city of 20 million of high population density. It could have been much worse," agreed CDC epidemiologist Marc-Alain Widdowson.

The two CDC doctors spoke during a tour of Mexico's Intelligence Unit for Health Emergencies, where teams of doctors and scientists monitor the outbreak in real time and plasma screens enable frequent video conference calls with leaders from the Atlanta-based CDC, the World Health Organization and other institutions.

Health Secretary Jose Angel Cordova cited other indications that the disease is not very contagious: Mexican investigators who visited 280 relatives of victims found only 4 had contracted the disease, and that the number of people hospitalized with suspected cases is declining. But he stressed that it's too early for the government to declare the epidemic is subsiding.

Getting fast and effective care is important, said Hugo Lopez-Gatell Ramirez, deputy director general of epidemiology at the center. Among the 16 confirmed swine flu deaths in Mexico, the average time victims waited before going to a doctor was seven days. For those who were sickened but recovered, the average wait was three days.

Lopez-Gatell said that even before the swine flu outbreak, Mexican authorities had been monitoring a higher-than-usual number of flu cases and an unusual phenomenon in which otherwise healthy young adults were falling ill with pneumonia in greater numbers. There had been 15 flu outbreaks in this year's flu season, as opposed to the 5 or 6 that Mexico normally sees.

He said that put Mexico on guard and led to a fast reaction when unexplained illnesses began in March. Despite some international criticism of the Mexican response, Lopez-Gatell said no mistakes were made.
"We would have done everything the same if we had it to do over again," he said.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090502/ap_on_he_me/med_swine_flu

I live in Wisconsin and they are closing some schools in my state. There are three confirmed cases here (2 in my nearby community) and 79 suspected.

The fact that they close down places where people are in close proximity and there has been a suspected case makes it the one reason I think the idea of O2 closing down at some point isn't so far fetched.

Imagine if Michael had to look a an audience full of face masks. LOL. Karma.

is the Swine Flu getting so hyped up more than necessary?
Is it really that bad?
Will the concerts get cancelled?!
I am so worried.. .
Please go away Swine Flu :|
:(

I live in Wisconsin and they are closing some schools in my state. There are three confirmed cases here (2 in my nearby community) and 79 suspected.

The fact that they close down places where people are in close proximity and there has been a suspected case makes it the one reason I think the idea of O2 closing down at some point isn't so far fetched.

Imagine if Michael had to look a an audience full of face masks. LOL. Karma.

See? That's why I started this thread... With illness in the air, (as it always is...) anything is possible! Just keep hoping and praying... I can't afford for these to get canceled because they didn't allow me to purchase trip insurance for USA to London... Come on, guys. It won't happen, it can't... :angel:

is the Swine Flu getting so hyped up more than necessary?
Is it really that bad?
Will the concerts get cancelled?!
I am so worried.. .
Please go away Swine Flu :|
:(
I'm not going to step out on a limb and say NO or YES to that, but I will say that at this stage, the concerts COULD be canceled and that's what could be very scary...

Stick together, guys... We'll get through this as all the other people suffering right now. Keep praying.

We have to wait a few more days/weeks until we actually get solid information on the Swine Flu and how bad it is. I mean it IS only mild at the moment... Is this effecting any concerts at the moment? i'm sure it isn't. Lets just hope with a lot of sunshine and good weather and all the right treatments, everyone will be fine and the Swine Flu will go away :) God bless everyone.

It's not affecting the concerts at this time, but that was the whole point of beginning this thread... Because we're concerned that it will at some point.

God Bless you and everyone, too. :)

Experts say that:
The Swin Flu will raise easier and quicker in the winter as bacteria can live longer on surfaces when it is cold.
So people going in the summer should be fine, people in the winter should be prepared.
I myself never thought how the Swine Flu could affect Michaels concerts. I am going in September so I think I should be OK.

Experts say that:
The Swin Flu will raise easier and quicker in the winter as bacteria can live longer on surfaces when it is cold.
So people going in the summer should be fine, people in the winter should be prepared.
I myself never thought how the Swine Flu could affect Michaels concerts. I am going in September so I think I should be OK.

Oh for the swine flu in this case. 'Cause yeah some bacteria thrive more in hotter temperatures or more humid conditions.

Well hopefully it will be under control soon.

Oh for the swine flu in this case. 'Cause yeah some bacteria thrive more in hotter temperatures or more humid conditions.

Well hopefully it will be under control soon.
That's what I thought... Otherwise, why would hospitals be cold if bacteria thrive more in the cold!

The company who makes the swine flu vaccine predicted a 531% growth in the vaccine in 2009. they predicted this in 2008. the same year that same drug's profits fell 80%. WTF?? This alone makes me unable to sleep at night...??!! How is it possible that a company could predict a 450% growth during a global economic crisis? The government voted down an addendum to the stimulus package that would have allotted a few hundred million dollars to flu vaccinesthat was what? a month and a half before the swine flu outbreak? Other interesting tidbits...the company was recently acquired by a larger pharmaceutical company, which also recently acquired a huge biotech firm out in california

http://www.chugai-pharm.co.jp/pdf/annual_report/2009/eAR2009_12_04.pdf

No conspiracy...

It is common knowledge that in time of crisis, the rates of illness will rise, and western countries will do whatever to keep illness at bay. Europe and the US are well known for popping pills before symptoms actually appear. Just look at how well cold medicines sell? How quickly most people are to buy fever-reducing medicines at the slightest touch of the fever?

The crisis started up last year for real, it was already a topic in Los Angeles a year ago, so it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that health would become a topic of interest this year. And since we live in a fix-it world, flu medicines is def. something that'd go up majorly.

I don't know if this is true - Summer might be able to answer that - flu medicines and cold medicins are sorta counter-productive unless you have real reason, say you are old, young children and otherwise weakened immune system. Because, they treat the symptoms.. Say the fever, which is really just the body fighting off the virus.

I VERY rarely take medication. I may take a pain killer once a month because it's otherwise impossible for me to go about my day because I'm a woman. But flu and cold medicines? Nope. Don't want chemicals that are essentially useless, and which I've HEARD to really just prolong the cold.

Here's some STABLE news:

MEXICO CITY – Mexican officials lowered their flu alert level in the capital on Monday and said they will allow cafes, museums and libraries to reopen this week. World health officials weighed raising their pandemic alert to the highest level.

Mexican officials declared the epidemic to be waning, announcing that Wednesday will conclude a five-day closure of nonessential businesses that was called to stop the spread of the new virus. Health officials need to finish inspecting schools before students can return to class.

Global health experts however said it was too early for countries to lower their guard, but there were no imminent plans to raise the pandemic alert level.

In New York on Monday, U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said the World Health Organization "has no plan to raise the alert level to 6 at this moment." WHO chief Margaret Chan also told the U.N. General Assembly by videolink from Geneva that "we are not there yet."

In an interview with the Spanish newspaper El Pais published Monday, Chan implied the agency might raise its alert. She played down the impact of going to level 6, saying she was concerned about causing unnecessary panic.

WHO spokesman Thomas Abraham said the comments appeared to be consistent with what the global body has said all along.

"We have consistently said a pandemic is imminent. It's only a matter of time before we move to phase 6 unless the virus suddenly becomes weaker and dies off," he said.
According to the WHO's pandemic phase definitions, being in level 5 means the agency believes a global outbreak is "imminent." Though Mexican authorities believe the outbreak may have peaked, WHO maintains it is still too early to tell if the outbreak is slowing down.

WHO also emphasized that a pandemic did not necessarily mean the disease was particularly deadly. The past two pandemics — in 1957 and 1968 — have been relatively mild. WHO said that the term pandemic refers to a disease's geographic spread — in all countries worldwide — rather than its severity.

While Mexico began its first steps toward normalcy, the virus spread to Colombia in the first confirmed case in South America, where flu season is about to begin. More cases were confirmed in North America and Europe — including Portugal's first — with the total number sickened worldwide rising to more than a 1,000 people, according to health and government officials.

With the scope of the disease unknown, several countries have taken urgent measures against arriving Mexicans or those who have recently traveled to Mexico.
In China, 71 Mexicans have been quarantined in hospitals and hotels, Foreign Secretary Patricia Espinoza said. Arriving Mexicans were taken into isolation, said Mexico's ambassador, Jorge Guajardo. Even the Mexican consul in Guangzhou was briefly held after returning from a vacation in Cambodia.

And in Hong Kong, 350 people remained isolated Monday in a hotel after a Mexican traveler there was determined to have swine flu.

Mexican President Felipe Calderon complained of the backlash against Mexicans abroad, and his government said a chartered plane left Monday morning for China and will make stops in several cities to pick up any Mexican citizen wanting to return home.

"I think it's unfair that because we have been honest and transparent with the world some countries and places are taking repressive and discriminatory measures because of ignorance and disinformation," Calderon said.

"There are always people who are seizing on this pretext to assault Mexicans, even just verbally," he said, though he did not point to any country.

Espinoza planned to talk to Chinese officials about their policy toward Mexicans.
China's Foreign Ministry denied it was discriminating against Mexicans.

But the Mexican Embassy in Beijing sent a circular out to all its citizens saying China had imposed "measures of unjustified isolation" in response to swine flu and urging trips there to be canceled or postponed.

Espinoza also criticized Argentina, Peru and Cuba for banning flights to Mexico, and said Argentina was sending a plane to Mexico on Monday to pick up Argentines who want to leave Mexico.

A group of 25 Canadian university students and a professor have been quarantined at a hotel in China since the weekend over swine flu fears. Canada has 103 confirmed cases of swine flu. The group does not have any flu symptoms, University of Montreal spokeswoman Sophie Langlois said Monday.

Health Secretary Jose Angel Cordova said at a news conference Monday that Mexico had 727 cases of swine flu and 26 deaths from the virus.

Health officials raised the number of confirmed U.S. swine flu cases to 245 in 35 states late Sunday. The new number reflects streamlining in federal procedures and the results of tests by states, which have only recently begun confirming cases, said Dr. Anne Schuchat of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The CDC's acting chief, Dr. Richard Besser, said swine flu is spreading just as easily as regular winter flu.

"The good news is when we look at this virus right now, we're not seeing some of the things in the virus that have been associated in the past with more severe flu," Besser said. "That's encouraging, but it doesn't mean we're out of the woods yet."

In Alberta, Canada, officials quarantined about 220 pigs infected by a worker who recently returned from Mexico. It was the first documented case of the H1N1 virus being passed from a human to another species. Canada stressed that pigs often get the flu and there is no danger in eating pork.

Cordova presented the most comprehensive description yet of the dead in Mexico.
He said 15 were female and seven were men. One possible explanation could be that women get poorer health care in Mexico because of its male-dominated culture, he said. Cordova also said only 4 percent were unemployed; the rest either had jobs or were housewives and students. More than 50 percent had not graduated from high school and only 11 percent had university education.

Pablo Kuri, an epidemiologist advising Cordova, told The Associated Press that tests have confirmed a swine flu death in Mexico City on April 11, two days earlier than what had been believed to be the first death.

Kuri also said there were no deaths among health care workers treating swine flu patients in Mexico, an indication that the virus may not be as contagious or virulent as initially feared.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090504/ap_on_he_me/med_swine_flu

This could mean GOOD things lie ahead!! :D Is anyone else a little happier reading this?

No conspiracy...

It is common knowledge that in time of crisis, the rates of illness will rise, and western countries will do whatever to keep illness at bay. Europe and the US are well known for popping pills before symptoms actually appear. Just look at how well cold medicines sell? How quickly most people are to buy fever-reducing medicines at the slightest touch of the fever?

The crisis started up last year for real, it was already a topic in Los Angeles a year ago, so it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that health would become a topic of interest this year. And since we live in a fix-it world, flu medicines is def. something that'd go up majorly.

I don't know if this is true - Summer might be able to answer that - flu medicines and cold medicins are sorta counter-productive unless you have real reason, say you are old, young children and otherwise weakened immune system. Because, they treat the symptoms.. Say the fever, which is really just the body fighting off the virus.

I VERY rarely take medication. I may take a pain killer once a month because it's otherwise impossible for me to go about my day because I'm a woman. But flu and cold medicines? Nope. Don't want chemicals that are essentially useless, and which I've HEARD to really just prolong the cold.

I can't give a specified answer as I'm not a doctor and even then opinions vary from doctor to doctor and country to country. In normal cases, flu shots are recommended for older people and those whose immune systems may otherwise be weakened...as well as for medical personnel. I get my flu shot each year simply because I work in a hospital with sick patients who may have Influenza (and several often do). It's just for my own protection and also in consideration to my fellow nurses (meaning, if I'm sick, someone else has to cover for my shifts which means they will be working overtime...). There are a lot of staff members who refuse to get the shot which is really beyond me why they do that. We had SIX nurses sick with Influenza a few years ago, all of them who didn't get their shot....and GUESS who was working her ass off to cover their shifts. Yes. Me. I was not a happy camper. Not at ALL. I was doing 60-70 hour weeks only because some others refused to get their shots. :glare: In my opinion the shots should be mandatory for everyone working in a hospital, especially near the patients.

And taking Tamiflu or Relenza, etc. "just in case" is nonsense. You only risk making yourself resistant for when you might really need it. The best "medicine" is to wash your hands when ever you come from outside or before eating and after you use the restroom and sneezing and coughing on your "sleeve" instead on your hand, and staying home if you feel sick or asking people who are sick stay away. But that's something that one should do automatically ANYWAYS....not just now because of Swine Flu. Like I said before...you can ALWAYS catch something from others....no matter where you are.

sleeve_sneeze_sneeze.jpg

:lol: Wow, summer. Thanks for sharing. :p

No new news about the flu... Let's hope this is a case of the "No news is good news"!

I think something like 24 people have got it in England now. :s
Nobody is critically ill with it though so I reckon it'll all pass in a few weeks. Hopefully anyway!

Yeah... More people seem to be getting sick in Europe, but look at Mexico. They are recovering! I just hope this is real and it's not going to come back and surprise us all.

Yeah... More people seem to be getting sick in Europe, but look at Mexico. They are recovering! I just hope this is real and it's not going to come back and surprise us all.

Yeah, same!
I just saw the news, it's now 28 people in England. But they're all people who have been to Mexico I think it said. As far as I know all flights to Mexico have been cancelled til the end of May so that should eliminate it a bit. :yes: Man, I just hope the virus doesn't turn or become resistant to Tamiflu or anything like that. It's scary stuff. :bugeyed

Yeah, same!
I just saw the news, it's now 28 people in England. But they're all people who have been to Mexico I think it said. As far as I know all flights to Mexico have been cancelled til the end of May so that should eliminate it a bit. :yes: Man, I just hope the virus doesn't turn or become resistant to Tamiflu or anything like that. It's scary stuff. :bugeyed
Really? The end of May? Good. Mexico is where it all started. And all the poor pigs in Egypt were slaughtered because they thought it was the pork.

Keep praying, guys. I heard a stupid rumor that the concerts on July 8th, 10th and 12th will be postponed until July 14th, but Roger F. said that. He's stupid, so. :p Keep praying for the well being of everyone and keep praying for the death of not the people, but the virus.

Back