HIStory world tour Munich 6th July concert

Might be a stupid question but can you transfer something that was shot on tape into blu ray quality? Wouldn't it just be a regular dvd?

blu-ray quality (HD quality) is possible only from film transfer or from HD cameras of course.

blu-ray quality (HD quality) is possible only from film transfer or from HD cameras of course.
Thats what i thought so a Blu Ray of Bremen or any other show besides Munich (or the rumored other European show in hd) would be pretty much pointless

Thats what i thought so a Blu Ray of Bremen or any other show besides Munich (or the rumored other European show in hd) would be pretty much pointless

Of course. But who knows which shows were shot on film or with HD cameras. We know that Munchen is, but maybe Bremen is also. We can't possibly know.

Also we don't know what is in Estate's possession - example: we know that Wembley was shot on film - but they don't have it, they just had that poor VHS that should have remained unreleased.

: we know that Wembley was shot on film - but they don't have it, they just had that poor VHS that should have remained unreleased.

The estate was in a lose lose situation there. Do they release an average quality DVD and have fans complain or do they release nothing at all and still have fans complain?

As someone who's never experienced Bad Tour 1988 I was happy with what I got. I would have preferred a blu ray of it, but I'm not spoiled by HD

And I'll take the average quality Wembley 1988 over the HD quality Munich 1997 anyday

I know for a fact that i will be laughing at your petty rude words, when mkgenie's insightful reveal become's a reality. Ciao.
Petty and rude? Ha! That's hilarious. I'm gonna have an even better laugh when it doesn't happen for another 10 years. Your delusion with concert releases is too much. Get off your computer and smell the flowers outside,instead of arguing with me. Ciao motherf*cker.

The rare HD format that mkgenie was referring to is HighVision (Muse) it is a analog version of High Definition and withholds resolution of 1440x1080! in 1992 Bob Dylan: The 30th anniversary Celebration was recorded with these early High Def camera's. This backs up what mkgenie said by (rare format HD) ''By 1996, ATSC had been adopted as the US standard for 1080i and 720p and for 480i SD. At that point, you saw early HD formats like HDCam, which was based off of digital Betacam. Those early formats were usually 1440x1080 instead of a full 1920x1080.

This concert was shot prior to the earliest digital HD tape formats using the NHK Muse system I mentioned above. Apparently, the tapes have been sitting in Japan all this time waiting to be transferred to a digital HD format.'' *sits here, waiting for someone's comeback on my research*

NHK Muse 1992 Bob Dylan Concert, analog HD proof:

The estate was in a lose lose situation there. Do they release an average quality DVD and have fans complain or do they release nothing at all and still have fans complain?

As someone who's never experienced Bad Tour 1988 I was happy with what I got. I would have preferred a blu ray of it, but I'm not spoiled by HD

And I'll take the average quality Wembley 1988 over the HD quality Munich 1997 anyday
Amen! I've been sick of hearing about the average quality of Wembley since it was released. The Estate released what they could find,yet it still wasn't good enough,as evident that fans still won't get over it two years on. Plus,hello? The Wembley concerts had a petition as old as 2005! No other petitions for HIStory or any other tour started before then,so that's why they released Wembley: FOR the fans.

Of course. But who knows which shows were shot on film or with HD cameras. We know that Munchen is, but maybe Bremen is also. We can't possibly know.

Also we don't know what is in Estate's possession - example: we know that Wembley was shot on film - but they don't have it, they just had that poor VHS that should have remained unreleased.

So should we have no Bad Tour live or one on a less quality format?

Um..let me think?

Michael Jackson live isn't about HD & picture perfection. It's about groove, emotion, funk, sweat and tears. That's why we went and stood for hours and ended up barely able to see in some instances. Not for a picture perfect view but for being able to witness genius.

Bad25 has been the best release since HIStory for me.

Michael Jackson live isn't about HD & picture perfection. It's about groove, emotion, funk, sweat and tears. That's why we went and stood for hours and ended up barely able to see in some instances. Not for a picture perfect view but for being able to witness genius.

I do not really like the History tour but I have to say these are very beautiful words. Very nicely put. Thanks for this post. :)

I do not really like the History tour but I have to say these are very beautiful words. Very nicely put. Thanks for this post. :)

Agree, don't like the HIStory tour either. This was more about Bad & Dangerous (even though I was lucky enough to be at all 3 tours :))

No one's gonna say anything about my research huh? well i proved myself right, may i also say that Genesis Live at Wembley was shot on Analog HDVS in 1987! Proof, that film isn't the only HD source.

I'm not spoiled by HD and I don't need HD either. And that was not DVD, that was 25 years old VHS watched probably million times.

"average quality Wembley 1988"? That was not average, that was very poor. I'd take HD quality Munich 1997 anyday over that poor quality VHS.

No one's gonna say anything about my research huh? well i proved myself right, may i also say that Genesis Live at Wembley was shot on Analog HDVS in 1987! Proof, that film isn't the only HD source.

Nobody said it is. The point is that we don't know what shows the Estate have in their possession. We would all prefer some other show over Munchen, but my opinion is that it will be Munchen. And I'm happy with it. In my opinion Munchen is great, the only problem with it is that we saw it numerous times.

So should we have no Bad Tour live or one on a less quality format?

Um..let me think?

Bad25 has been the best release since HIStory for me.

I would prefer no Bad Tour 1988 at all or 1987 show instead of 1988 poor VHS.

You can't compare going to a concert and watching it live to watching a concert on any media. It's incomparable.

Michael Jackson was all about quality and perfection and state of the art technology. So I'm sure he wouldn't like VHS (in that quality) being released in 2012.

Also eventually they will find the films and Bad Tour 1988 will be released. So it was not "then or never".

I'm not spoiled by HD and I don't need HD either. And that was not DVD, that was 25 years old VHS watched probably million times.

"average quality Wembley 1988"? That was not average, that was very poor. I'd take HD quality Munich 1997 anyday over that poor quality VHS.

So you'll take Munich 1997 over Wembley 1988 just because it's in HD? That's very shallow thinking. The performance always comes first and Wembley 1988 had a much much better performance than Munich 1997. And Wembley has very poor quality? No it doesn't. It's still watchable

I would prefer no Bad Tour 1988 at all or 1987 show instead of 1988 poor VHS.

You can't compare going to the concert and watching it live to watching a concert on any media. It's incomparable.

Michael Jackson was all about quality and perfection and state of the art technology. So I'm sure he wouldn't like VHS (in that quality) being released in 2012.

Also eventually they will find the films and Bad Tour 1988 will be released. So it was not "then or never".

Doesn't need to have been shot on film to be on Blu-Ray.. this is the point i'm getting across! NHK Muse could have been a format that Michael used on several occasions, it's hard to tell after it has been transferred to VHS of course.. it's basically the same resolution as MSG 2001! all analog High Def sources are interlaced.. as an example, check out hi-vision laserdisc ;)

It's still watchable

It's watchable for youtube or fanmade leak. Not for officially released Michael Jackson DVD. Or any artist and not just in 2012. I've never seen any officially released DVD or VHS by any artist in that quality.

Doesn't need to have been shot on film to be on Blu-Ray.. this is the point i'm getting across! NHK Muse could have been a format that Michael used on several occasions, it's hard to tell after it has been transferred to VHS of course.. it's basically the same resolution as MSG 2001! all analog High Def sources are interlaced.. as an example, check out hi-vision laserdisc ;)

All that is great. But we can't possibly know what they have in their possession. I'm not saying it's their fault.

All that is great. But we can't possibly know what they have in their possession. I'm not saying it's their fault.

True, but with the information i have provided.. you can see that Native HD has been widely used since 1979!

It's watchable for youtube or fanmade leak. Not for officially released Michael Jackson DVD. Or any artist and not just in 2012. I've never seen any officially released DVD or VHS by any artist in that quality.

But if the estate released nothing at all, fans would have complained even more. Maybe one day we'll get a better quality Bad Tour show from 1988, but until then what we got is tiding me over quite nicely.

But if the estate released nothing at all, fans would have complained even more. Maybe one day we'll get a better quality Bad Tour show from 1988, but until then what we got is tiding me over quite nicely.

They could have explained: "Look all we have is poor quality 25 years old VHS and that's why we won't be releasing anything until we find a better source".

I know a lot of anti Estate fans and conspiracy theorists would be spreading hate and they would not believe them - but this was not better either. You still have some fans doubting that that's the best quality they had. I saw fans who say that they were too cheap to transfer it from the film.

And honestly I watched the DVD, maybe twice in full and maybe some songs few more times. I watched Bucharest when I bought the DVD in 2005 thousands of times and I still watch it today occasionally. I even watched Yokohama more times than Wembley.

True, but with the information i have provided.. you can see that Native HD has been widely used since 1979!

I LOVE HIStory and I'm fine with any show. Just don't be disappointed if they release Munchen.

I LOVE HIStory and I'm fine with any show. Just don't be disappointed if they release Munchen.

Of course i won't be, but with information on NHK Muse (mkgenie stated rare hd format which give's us hope).. there's at least some faith here..

They could have explained: "Look all we have is poor quality 25 years old VHS and that's why we won't be releasing anything until we find a better source".

I know a lot of anti Estate fans and conspiracy theorists would be spreading hate and they would not believe them - but this was not better either. You still have some fans doubting that that's the best quality they had. I saw fans who say that they were too cheap to transfer it from the film.

And honestly I watched the DVD, maybe twice in full and maybe some songs few more times. I watched Bucharest when I bought the DVD in 2005 thousands of times and I still watch it today occasionally. I even watched Yokohama more times than Wembley.

For me Michael's performance in Wembley outshines the average quality

I've never seen such bad average quality. But I understand what you mean. Performance is amazing.

It's not THAT bad. You really over exaggerate there

The way you talk you'd swear that we got something like this

It's not THAT bad. You really over exaggerate there

The way you talk you'd swear that we got something like this

Hahaha. Trust me I watched a lot of amateur concerts and I can watch almost everything. One day I was watching that Triumph Tour where the picture is split in 4 and someone asked my how can I watch that and what is that..

But for officially released MJ product - it's unreleasable. That's what I wanted to say.

Back