Guide to commerative/tribute magazines on MJ [Offical Thread]

Re: Guide to Commerative/Tribute Magazines on MJ [Official Thread]

I got my TIME SPECIAL COMMEMORATIVE EDITION, I love it!

I don't think this was listed yet:

New York Times The Life and Times of Michael Jackson, $9.98

I found it today at Barnes and Noble. It was in the bargain books section, not the magazine section. It's cool. It's basically a newspaper in which every page is a layout with a Michael Jackson from a previous edition. It starts in the mid-70s and continues through to the obituary. I haven't looked at it all yet, but it looked like only the final pages about Michael's death were in color. I think it is very interesting if you, like me, are under the age of 30 and do not remember the craze surrounding MJ in the 80s. It's nice to be able to read through chronologically and kind of see Michael's rise to superstardom.

I have some from Italy..but I left most of them in my other home ( 4 hours from here :D)

tomorrow I will post the ones I got in this one ;)

I found it today at Barnes and Noble. It was in the bargain books section, not the magazine section. It's cool. It's basically a newspaper in which every page is a layout with a Michael Jackson from a previous edition. It starts in the mid-70s and continues through to the obituary. I haven't looked at it all yet, but it looked like only the final pages about Michael's death were in color. I think it is very interesting if you, like me, are under the age of 30 and do not remember the craze surrounding MJ in the 80s. It's nice to be able to read through chronologically and kind of see Michael's rise to superstardom.

Awesome, that one looks cool! Do you have any other tips on cool MJ magazines etc on Barnes n' Noble, I would appreciate it!

Awesome, that one looks cool! Do you have any other tips on cool MJ magazines etc on Barnes n' Noble, I would appreciate it!

I don't think so, nothing more than what has been said in this thread anyway.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to buy any magazines but today I went to see what was out there and the biggest book/magazine shop in Helsinki had put up a separate section for MJ mags. I hesitated and left but came back and got 3 mags.
Here are the mags that I got so far. I think I want the Ebony tribute magazine too once it gets here.
MJlehdet.jpg

The Daily Mirror tribute is the best as it only contains pictures and a few comments. I'm planning on buying more. The Rolling Stones one is to be added.

FINALLY someone has this! I was thinking of ordering it from the Barnes and Noble site but wasn't sure. Is it newspaper paper or glossy pages like a magazine or book? I'm a bit confused as to what it is exactly... can you possibly take a couple of photos so I have a bit of an idea? That would be awesome :)

Has anyone seen the Ebony tribute in stores? I read it was supposed to come out on the 13th or 14th, but I couldn't find it after looking in several stores.

It's not out yet. I really don't know of anyone who has been able to find it in stores yet.

DSC01897.jpg

The one on the left is like the back of the People magazine tribute. It's all pictures accompanied only by quotes from Michael himself. It was $6.50.

The one on the right is Hip Hop Weekly. There are two covers out, the one above and another with a Dangerous-era picture of Michael from on tour. That one has articles and interviews and is the least negative of all the magazines that I have seen. This one is $5.99.
Can you give a little more info about the one on the left? How many pages? Worth it? I can't find it here, but people are selling it on ebay...

I would really like to have this one, it has the best cover. Is it possible to order on the internet somewhere? Because I cant seem to find it in Sweden. I dont really care whats inside magazine, I just want it for the cover:

people_mjcover.jpg

Please, help me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Today's-Black-W...ItemQQimsxZ20090721?IMSfp=TL090721166005r2379

Today's Black Woman Presents: Michael Remembered
$5.99

I found this one today.

Lots of pictures I had never seen before, and there are nice, insightful quotes by Michael sprinkled throughout the issue, and nice, positive articles. One thing I also noticed was that nearly every picture in the mag has the exact date with it (Day, Month, Year).

Last edited:

Here are some pictures from the magazine I mentioned above:

I apologize in advance for the glare/blurriness on some of the pages.

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

My camera didn't do this picture justice. It's beautiful. :wub:
IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0813.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

Oh, ladies! ;D
IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

mnj1985 - thank you for the heads up!! Haven't seen that mag before! Is it new? Can you buy it anywhere? Where did you get your copy? Some gorgeous photos in there!

mnj1985 - thank you for the heads up!! Haven't seen that mag before! Is it new? Can you buy it anywhere? Where did you get your copy? Some gorgeous photos in there!

I hadn't seen this mag before today. I bought it at a reading center that sells all newspapers and magazines (it's not a chain) They have many of the tribute issues on a separate table. They had the LIFE, People, Time, Rolling Stone, Word Up, Hip-Hop, etc. And then they had this one. I thought that it was very unique with the pictures, many of which I had never seen, and I loved the quotes that they used from Michael.

I don't know if this has just now come out, or if it will be anywhere else.

Here are mine...

I got the Rolling Stone after I took the picture... so the Historical is worth getting? I think I might pick that up along with the NY Times one that one looks really nice... Oh and the Ebony one.. I want that one... and of course if I can still find those hip hop weekly and xxl mags I'll pick them up. I have never been a fan of rap magazines to do fitting tributes to people like MJ but I'll check them out if I see them...

IMG_6752.jpg

Last edited:

I hadn't seen this mag before today. I bought it at a reading center that sells all newspapers and magazines (it's not a chain) They have many of the tribute issues on a separate table. They had the LIFE, People, Time, Rolling Stone, Word Up, Hip-Hop, etc. And then they had this one. I thought that it was very unique with the pictures, many of which I had never seen, and I loved the quotes that they used from Michael.

I don't know if this has just now come out, or if it will be anywhere else.

Thanks so much for the info. I will look around for it but already have it watched on ebay!

I would really like to have this one, it has the best cover. Is it possible to order on the internet somewhere? Because I cant seem to find it in Sweden. I dont really care whats inside magazine, I just want it for the cover:

people_mjcover.jpg

Please, help me.

That mag is just a weekly magazine, so unfortunately it's been long off the shelves... you'd most likely only be able to find it on ebay.

I dont think I´ve seen anyone on this forum post this one before:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Michael-Jackson/Whitman-Publishing/e/9780794829285/?itm=31

If anyone has it, is it worth buying?
I ordered that online and received it today. It's not what I expected, I didn't know that it was only quotes from people about MJ (Liz Taylor, Diana Ross, R Kelly, other people in the industry + some regular fans) but after going through it, it's a really nice memento to have. The quotes are all really sweet, it's nice to have a collection of them in one book and there are some nice photos as well! It wasn't that expensive, so worth it for what you get, in my opinion.

Anyone preorder the Ebony??? I just did... 4-6 weeks! UGH!

Anyone have this? It looks printed on newspaper, but I can't tell. Are all the pages b&w? Is it worth the buy?

!BVpOLKwBGk~$(KGrHgoOKkYEjlLmY4pPBKTi2bIz2w~~_1.JPG

Anyone have this? It looks printed on newspaper, but I can't tell. Are all the pages b&w? Is it worth the buy?

%21BVpOLKwBGk%7E$%28KGrHgoOKkYEjlLmY4pPBKTi2bIz2w%7E%7E_1.JPG

I personally think it is. It has one colored page, as if it could be a poster on the wall, but the rest is black and white. They have a good timeline in there. I personally like it. :)

I can trade the following:
Black Men official tribute (1)
Entertainment Weekly (not all Michael) (1)
People, "Good Bye Michael" July 20th (not all Michael) (1)
USA Today Special Edition (Newspaper) (2)
USA TODAY LIFE Commemorative Edition (3)
Rolling Stone official tribute (1)
People Official Tribute (1)
Unofficial Publication #07 2009 (Bad Concert Outfit Cover) (1)
XXL Special Collective Issue (1)
Time Special Commemorative Edition (2)
HIStorical Collective Edition (2)
Then the one with over 200 Photos, I don't know the company name (1)

***I am looking for LIFE, Ebony and Billboard and the one that says "My LIFE" and he's in the Bad era... Also, any from other countries besides USA.

I'm willing to sell some too, I bought too many

!BVpOLKwBGk~$(KGrHgoOKkYEjlLmY4pPBKTi2bIz2w~~_1.JPG

Do you know where you can order it from? Barnesandnobles.com, do they have it?

how come it's says on the barnes and noble that Life comes out aoug 12, but some people already have it?

and.. where can i order the "today's black world" one? please?

This is my collection, I have a few more to get:

002-1.jpg

I still need to get the life magazine and Today's Black Woman too :)

So I was out today checking out some of the tribute mags. I decided not to get ones with ads in them for other things.. something about that bugs me.. And the XXL, the Hip Hop Weekly and the Word Up all were of subpar quality to me so I didn't get them. I ended p with the Historical, and this one....

http://www.beckett.com/item/67489612/

Never seen it before and not sure if it was mentioned here.. I don't even know who Beckett is...

What are the two on the far left-- the one that says "BYE" and the one where Michael's hands are clasped?

Can you give a little more info about the one on the left? How many pages? Worth it? I can't find it here, but people are selling it on ebay...
It is about 100 pages. It is just pictures and MJ quotes, so it doesn't feel as substantial as some of the others. I think everyone has a different opinion on what's worth it. If you want a lot of nice pictures or if you like reading about Michael in his own words rather than other people's, then you'll probably like this.
DSC01898.jpg

DSC01899.jpg

DSC01900.jpg

FINALLY someone has this! I was thinking of ordering it from the Barnes and Noble site but wasn't sure. Is it newspaper paper or glossy pages like a magazine or book? I'm a bit confused as to what it is exactly... can you possibly take a couple of photos so I have a bit of an idea? That would be awesome :)
It's a newspaper printed on newsprint. I took some pictures for you. There are some preview pages at Barnes and Noble's website too.

DSC01902.jpg

DSC01901.jpg

DSC01903.jpg

DSC01904.jpg

Back