drugs

Well, personally I would never take drugs and that includes alcohol and tobacco. Although the latter two are more for practical reasons rather than principle: I don't respond well to alcohol and tobacco is just disgusting to me (the smell alone makes me sick). However, I do appreciate the drug policy in my country (the Netherlands) even though we get a lot of flack for it internationally. Here, there is a clear distinction between "soft drugs" (e.g. marihuana) and "hard drugs" (e.g. alcohol, tobacco, cocaine, etc.) Soft drugs are considered to entail an "acceptable risk" and are therefore allowed to be sold in specific places (coffeeshops, smart shops) under government control. Hard drugs are considered to entail an "unacceptable risk" (usually determined by degree of addictiveness and health effects) and are therefore illegal, with the exception of alcohol and tobacco. Whether soft or hard, drugs are not allowed to be traded or sold on the street in any case. It is allowed to grow a limited amount of marihuana (max. 5 plants) at home though. This is also often used as a medicine for people with rheumatism or similar problems.

The main focus of the Dutch drug policy is on informing the public (esp. youngsters) of the dangers and effects of drugs. Then, when they are old enough (18+) they decide whether they want to try it or not. This is much more effective than prohibiting drugs altogether, as statistics show. For example, only 22.6% of Dutch citizens ever used cannabis in their lifetime compared to 42.2% in the USA (source). As for cocaine, the annual use in the Netherlands is 1.1% compared to 2.8% in the USA (source). Tobacco: average American smokes 1196 cigarettes per year compared to 888 in the Netherlands (source). I can't find the statistics for drug-related deaths right now but I do know it is much higher than in the NL. In other words: there is no proof whatsoever that legalisation of certain drugs leads to higher drug use, provided the general public is informed about the dangers and effects of drugs.

That said, I strongly disagree with Bloodnofsky's suggestion to lower the ages for drinking alcohol to 15. Alcohol is classified as a "hard drug", it is much more dangerous than most people realize. Particularly at a younger age, drinking alcohol can leave permanent brain damage. I forgot the details but there is a part of your brain that still develops when you're a teenager and alcohol disrupts this process, which leads to less concentration and reactionary abilities (there was a test where they measured the response of the brain when signs of a cross were replaced by signs with a circle and the brains of those who started drinking early responded much slower). So, it is bad for a child's development. Also, a 15-year-old is generally nowhere near responsible enough to be able to handle this and saying it's their problem is simply bad parenting imo. In the NL the legal drinking age is 16 (and 18 for strong liquor) but my brother (who is 16) is still only allowed to drink on special occasions. If it were up to him though, he'd get drunk every week. He is still a child after all and doesn't think too far ahead, like most people his age.

Thanks for the info on your country's policies.

I think at least some should be legalised here in the U.S. with age restrictions. We waste alot of money, jail space, police resources on the drug policy we have now & enourages alot of crime & corruption. So I hope it changes.

^ Luckily, some people do respect laws. I don't use drugs because I don't feel like it but I would have likely tried them out if it was legal. I think laws can prevend a lot of misery. Sometimes you need a parent, a government or a friend to think for you when you're young, depressed, mean or whatever and could do serious harm to yourself or others. People need boundaries and choice is not a holy thing as people can be evil and uncivilised.

I agree laws can help in scaring people off, but I think education and upbringing have a far bigger impact on whether or not somebody would try drugs or not. I have never smoked weed in my life even though I could buy some just around the corner. The USA are among the strictest countries when it comes to drug use, yet they usually rank as (one of) the highest when it comes to drug abuse and drug-related deaths. See the statistics I mentioned in my previous post, the number (%) of cannabis and cocaine users in the US is twice as big as in the Netherlands. This is worrying.

I do not think the government should regulate according to morality. It is not up to the government to decide what is "right" and what is "wrong". People need to have the freedom to make their own choices. However, these choices need to be well thought-out. A child cannot fully oversee the consequences of certain choices, is more sensitive to peer pressure and generally isn't able to set limits for himself. Therefore, it can't bear the responsibility of this freedom of choice. That is why there are (and should be) age limits for the use of certain possibly harmful substances/activities. Now I understand Bloodnofsky's point that some youngsters are going to find a way to try alcohol anyway, despite being under the age limit, but I don't think that's a fair justification to get rid of age limits altogether. Instead, I think the control on places selling alcohol should be much stricter and the consequences of being caught selling alcohol to a minor should be more severe. That said, I do think the American age limit is far too high (21). I personally don't know anyone this age who has never tried alcohol. I previously said that alcohol is quite dangerous for youngsters as it can cause permanent brain damage, so I understand where this high age limit comes from. However, looking at it from a pragmatic perspective (which we Dutch love to do lol) this policy is actually counter-productive. Statistics show that alcohol consumption (from ages 15+) in the US is not much lower than countries with much more lenient alcohol laws like the NL (8.5 vs. 10.6) so they do not seem to have much effect (source). However, due to stricter laws American youngsters are forced to get their alcohol illegally, which also adds to its appeal for some. On another note, I think it is ridiculous that there are so many commercials on TV promoting alcoholic beverages while tobacco commercials are illegal. Alcohol is at least as dangerous as cigarettes.

Anyway, I covered age limits as a prerequisite for responsible choices. Another very important prerequisite is education. It is important to inform youngsters at an early age (I'd start at 12, beginning of sec. school) about the effects and consequences of drugs. I know you're Dutch so you are probably familiar with the concept of "Spuiten & Slikken". I would use a similar method to educate youngsters on drugs, thus not saying "It's bad! Don't do it! It's wrong!" but just showing in a fair way what kind of effects a particular drug can have on a person, what to do when it goes wrong, possible short and long term consequences, etc. I believe this is much more effective than using a moral authority and saying "you must not do this and you must not do that". Of course, these youngsters are not yet able to use the drugs themselves legally (since they're under the age limit) but by the time they are, they will have a sufficient overview to make a choice responsibly.

In short (sorry for the long post guys), if a person above the legal age limit decides to use a certain soft drug* (or alcohol/tobacco), despite knowing the possible risks that are attached to it, he should be free to do so. Some people accept the possible harm that comes with taking certain substances. Think of a long-time smoker who refuses to quit even though he's already in bad health. It's their choice. As long as they are not harming anyone else, it is not up to us to forbid them from willfully harming themselves.

*Soft drugs are drugs that are considered to entail an "acceptable risk", meaning they do not cause severe harm to physical or mental health. Examples of soft drugs are marihuana and hashish (sp.). Alcohol and tobacco do not fall in this category.

^I agree with your post and the statistics are very telling. However I think the Dutch drugs policy is very hypocritical (see one of my previous posts). I guess there's really no way to do this 100% right as a government (although I disagree that a government can't decide what's morally right or wrong: that part of the job description and they are elected to make these kinds of decisions), so yes that leaves room for parents and teachers to step up to the plate to just make young people aware. My own mom was a hippy and used everything under the sun except for heroin (not during my lifetime but she would tell me all I wanted to know), it was not in the least glamourous to try anything. Same effect as watching Spuiten & Slikken I guess.

Well i think it's pretty simple, the government prohibits the drugs to keep the public safe, i mean imagine if something like Ice was legal? the world would destroy itself over, same with heroin, fact is, if it's legal it's easier to obtain and all cases of addiction almost always end up bad, so i think legalizing any drugs is a bad idea, unless you want children to be born with physical disabilities of course.

Now as for tobacco and alcohol, both will always be legal because they are both money making taxes for governments

^ Luckily, some people do respect laws. I don't use drugs because I don't feel like it but I would have likely tried them out if it was legal. I think laws can prevend a lot of misery. Sometimes you need a parent, a government or a friend to think for you when you're young, depressed, mean or whatever and could do serious harm to yourself or others. People need boundaries and choice is not a holy thing as people can be evil and uncivilised.

Not really. It's all a matter of priorities, and what is most important to you. People still try them out, even when they're illegal. The chances of catching you are even smaller when drug use is illegal, ironically enough, since people obviously do these kind of things in areas which are not in the general public (i.e. abandoned houses, underground clubs, etc.)

The risks of drugs are known, and the fact that they're not legal does little to deter most individuals who really want to try them. Your interest in them was a passing one, not strong enough to compel you to try them.

Laws can prevent a lot of misery, certainly, but it is a person's right to choose what they want to put in to their bodies. No one has the right to take that choice away from you. There are uncivilized people who hurt others, and are perfectly sober while doing so, without regard for the law, et cetera.

As for the young, mean, depressed trying drugs, etc.---> See my comment on natural selection, the importance of.

^I agree with your post and the statistics are very telling. However I think the Dutch drugs policy is very hypocritical (see one of my previous posts). I guess there's really no way to do this 100% right as a government (although I disagree that a government can't decide what's morally right or wrong: that part of the job description and they are elected to make these kinds of decisions), so yes that leaves room for parents and teachers to step up to the plate to just make young people aware. My own mom was a hippy and used everything under the sun except for heroin (not during my lifetime but she would tell me all I wanted to know), it was not in the least glamourous to try anything. Same effect as watching Spuiten & Slikken I guess.

I agree. Personally, I really liked the proposal from some political parties in the NL to legalise soft drugs and have the production and distribution of it under strict government control. That way, the police can focus on fighting illegal plants and the quality of soft drugs that are sold legally in coffee shops is ensured. Unfortunately, these parties didn't get in the government (although VVD was not against it iirc) so not much has changed as of yet. Still, I prefer the Dutch system to the American one simply because it is more effective. My wish is to reduce drug consumption and the dangers attached to it, and statistics show that the Dutch system is more successful in achieving this than the American one. I do think a percentage of 42+ of cannabis users is shockingly high though, and Canada isn't much better. I wonder where this comes from.

To be clear, I am in no way propagating the use of drugs. On the contrary, I am always preaching the danger of alcohol and cigarettes to my friends and younger brother lol. However, I am a pragmatic thinker. Some people seem to think that prohibiting all drugs is a solution to the problem. Statistics show that this is not the case. The problem merely shifts to the illegal realm, where drug dealers are selling drugs on the street or even on school playgrounds. These drugs are often untested and of bad quality, thus posing a bigger health hazard. Furthermore, the government loses grip on the situation and cannot tax drug dealers (as opposed to coffeeshops). But the biggest concern for me is that the step to taking "hard drugs" such as cocaine or heroine becomes much smaller when you buy drugs illegally on the street because drug dealers usually carry several types of drugs with them and can easily offer you something "stronger" and more addictive. This would not happen in a coffeeshop, which is only allowed to sell soft drugs.

So, from a pragmatic point of view, I support the legalisation of soft drugs and tobacco/alcohol. Not because I support its use, but because I realize that drug abuse is an existing problem that is impossible to eliminate completely. Therefore, a government must look for the best possible way to reduce the harm and use of these drugs and facts indicate that legalisation/tolerance is the way to achieve this. Is it a perfect system? Of course not. It has many flaws, but it is still better than prohibiting all drugs apart from two of the most dangerous and pretending you have everything under control.

Edit: about morality being part of a government's job description and the people legitimizing it to impose its morals on them, I strongly disagree. The government has no business whatsoever to tell its people what they think is "right" and what is "wrong" as long as these people are not harming others. Imagine if the CDA, ChristenUnie and SGP managed to form a government and decides it is "immoral" for gays to get married, for women to get an abortion or for terminally ill people to perform euthanasia? Imagine if Geert Wilders becomes PM and decides it is "immoral" for immigrants to have the same civil rights as natives? Those are certainly not my morals nor did I legitimize them to turn their ideas into policy as I didn't vote for them. The idea of a government using morality as a main guideline for regulation is a scary thought to me.

Last edited:
Well i think it's pretty simple, the government prohibits the drugs to keep the public safe, i mean imagine if something like Ice was legal? the world would destroy itself over, same with heroin, fact is, if it's legal it's easier to obtain and all cases of addiction almost always end up bad, so i think legalizing any drugs is a bad idea, unless you want children to be born with physical disabilities of course.

Now as for tobacco and alcohol, both will always be legal because they are both money making taxes for governments

That only seems to work if you assume that most people would like to try hard drugs like crystal meth. It's all based on priorities, like I said. Someone who's not interested in trying drugs like that won't try them even if they're legal (I wouldn't do it even if it was legal, for example.) As for someone who really wants to try it--the law's no agent to stop them from doing so, as evidence shows. In theory, having the law be a stopper to drug use makes sense. In actual practice, it does little to prevent drug use--as you can see by the statistics, and the generally acknowledged fact that the US is the drug cartels' best friend.

Making drugs illegal hasn't stopped anyone who seriously wants to try them--even out of curiosity, like I said. It only makes it possible for the criminals to get rich by charging whatever they want, and generally monopolizing the drug industry, to fund terrorist organizations, sex slavery, child trafficking, etc. I feel like I've said all this before.

It is true that we make good taxes out of tobacco and alcohol--but we could make even more money by legalizing and taxing the other drugs, so that we can fix our economy. Seems to me to be a good idea.

You laugh, yet you fail to explain why. That's either crazy, or completely ignorant.

I'll give you your attention. ( i see that you edited this post) Through smilies I expressed my reaction to your point of view. Plain and simple. I'll also take time to remind you that, my point of view in text was also expressed in my previous post.

I will not tolerate being called names. This shows me the content of your character,you resort to petty name calling. That is true ignornace.

I wish you love.

I'll give you your attention. ( i see that you edited this post) Through smilies I expressed my reaction to your point of view. Plain and simple. I'll also take time to remind you that, my point of view in text was also expressed in my previous post.

I will not tolerate being called names. This shows me the content of your character,you resort to petty name calling. That is true ignornace.

I wish you love.

I edited the post because I realized I made a typo, and being the meticulous perfectionist I am, I couldn't just leave it as is. I have no problem telling you what I think.

As far as "wanting attention" is concerned, that seems to be more your quest than mine. I am permitted to have a different point of view than yours in regards to this debate, and to voice it without having it be laughed at. If anything, someone who replies in such an immature fashion would seem like the true desperate soul needing attention here. I'll grant you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are not one of those.

As for the smileys--they fail to explain why you feel the way you do. We can all agree to debate and argue like mature adults (see debates with Alma, Roosje, etc.) without merely just laughing at another person's point of view--that, to me, seems ignorant or crazy. As you can see, I wasn't calling you names, I was using those terms to describe your actions, hence the word "that's" and not "you." Distinctions are important.

The content of my character is rational argumentation. Let's do it. I wish you love as well, as you clearly are not a bad person--however confusing your responses may be.

I edited the post because I realized I made a typo, and being the meticulous perfectionist I am, I couldn't just leave it as is. I have no problem telling you what I think.

As far as "wanting attention" is concerned, that seems to be more your quest than mine. I am permitted to have a different point of view than yours in regards to this debate, and to voice it without having it be laughed at. If anything, someone who replies in such an immature fashion would seem like the true desperate soul needing attention here. I'll grant you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are not one of those.

As for the smileys--they fail to explain why you feel the way you do. We can all agree to debate and argue like mature adults (see debates with Alma, Roosje, etc.) without merely just laughing at another person's point of view--that, to me, seems ignorant or crazy. As you can see, I wasn't calling you names, I was using those terms to describe your actions, hence the word "that's" and not "you." Distinctions are important.

The content of my character is rational argumentation. Let's do it. I wish you love as well, as you clearly are not a bad person--however confusing your responses may be.
calm down:yes::yes:

Bloodnofsky;3221356 said:
I care enough about the inhabitants of the world to advocate for their right to choose what they want for themselves. That, to me, is the most important thing in human life--the right to choose (not to sound like a pro-abortionist there.)

I know that even God accorded us free will. But He endowed man with a conscience, to think before doing something wrong and, eventually destroying lives: their own, as well as others. Yeah, others, for many don't wanna die and have reasons not to want to die, especially at the hands of others with drugs in their blood. Since when drugs (not including medication, though abusing them is just as dangerous) have ever done anything good to people? Besides taking them to another world, for they're not ready for the one they're living in. Drugs are fueling a man's weakness and can take him away, even saying you don't care about them, as that was their choice, but what about their family, who may well have been a good family to them, does their hurt of losing their offspring to drugs not matter, is not that a terrible thing to have to live with? If people still can find drugs to get high in the streets or at a club, how would legalizing them altogether be a thing one should be indifferent about? This doesn't make sense, no matter how selfish and amoral the person being indifferent is.

I don't hate the world. I am merely an observer in the asylum, and I think the rest of the inmates should have a choice. :p

But you don't like it either, don't care about it, you call it an asyllum already, or else the things you say wouldn't quite come off quite like the way they do and would counter my conclusions, for instance. Since we're living in a crazy place, how is nurturing it a good thing? If the rest of the 'inmates' should all have a choice, most would be able to put their fantasies and anger and disgust into action, they'd steal and beat and kill without a care in the world, for the law wouldn't interfere. As it wouldn't if drugs were legalized, the law would favor them. How is that a good thing, again? If we all put our choices into action, we'd all perish under the weight of our own actions and go to hell (not theologically speaking, as some freak out when that happens...). It's the very same if many suddenly got easy access to drugs, some don't know how/when to stop, and it ultimately falls on the head of others, too, saying that from a selfish point of view, those who are innocent and who Don't deserve to be hurt. The hopeless addicts will do whatever it takes to get their next rush who is their god, nothing else matters. If we all were animals without a conscience, and that still would've been crazy. ..... And inhumane.

So, legalizing drugs isn't going to help anyone's drug problems, and I never claimed it would. In fact, that's not even a relevant issue for me--the thing we want to stop is the money flowing from the hands of those idiots to the drug cartels in Latin America who use the profits to fund terroristic organizations, sex slavery, child trafficking, and other activities of the sort. By legalizing drugs, at least we'd be able to extinguish their influence by creating our own growing farms, etc. and competing with them in capitalistic fashion, and thus driving them out of business by beating their prices (or at least forcing them to match down our prices in an effort to exist) and thus either minimizing or completely eliminating their influence in our country. That's what legalizing drugs would achieve, and to me, that's a worthy goal, and truly for the greater good. (Not only that, but we could tax the hell out of them and fix our economy.)

That's such a long shot, such make believe, considering the state of the world, which is more precarious by the day. And more keen with the unleashing of the unconscious mind. And say the economy will get fixed, esp. when depopulation is on many world governments' agenda. Even if you don't care about the world's population or about your own person, they're gonna keep on stealing from the people, from you, increase their taxes and incomes, yours too, and legalize other taxes for the people to pay, and they end up with their pockets full, after all, they're withdrawing money from the disadvantaged ones' funds quite a lot. Is that a fixed economy, really?

If child pornography gets to one day be legalized, which is not delusional at all to fathom it could/will happen, would it look less illicit, if more exposed, or would the ancient legal porn on the market be beating purchasing child porn too, thus eventually removing them from the market? Really? The media is a too well known tool of mass brainwashing, they love propaganda and love to play mind games which they're too effective, without one having to even grow aware of that. It's often the case. If child porn gets legalized, it'll be considered a normal thing, so the weaker population would be fed with sickness like that and okayed, okayed to look at a child in a sexual manner. Not gonna put words in your mouth, that you would show indifference about child porn being legalized, but it was a serious question nonetheless, given everything that's been said. You've said before how you were quite amoral, but even by being that way... I don't know what else to say or how to finish what I meant to say...

As for personal drug problems--like I said, they exist for a reason, in a country which makes use of drugs illegal--yet still they exist. Thus, the problem is clearly not the legality of said drugs, but rather, fixing the psychological state of the person concerned.

And how would legalizing drugs fix the users'/abusers' pshychological state, if drugs were to be found in most pharmacies? They always find ways to obtain some, but, really, laying it all for them And others, who may have never tried drugs before, but they certainly must think (some of them, but many) that since they're legalized, like cigarrettes and alcohol is, than it's okay to try those too, and use them on a regular basis. ... Why need a therapist in that case, when you got the drugs waiting for you just around the corner?

Something which was more important to escape, more important than following the law. The resolving of that "something" is the key to minimizing drug problems. Making drugs illegal does not solve their personal issue, therefore, if you truly care for the "weaker" men and women--identify and help them solve their issue.

And I'm asking again: how is legalizing drugs to help those people or minimizing their drug use? Since they're legalized, legal, no longer prohibited, if others wanna help them and take them to the rehab, even if taken by force, the legality of drugs, just like any other medication out there, would still make them return to their destructive refuge, so how can somebody ever hope helping these weak beings, Especially when the legal system itself is encouraging them to consume them, for yes, that's what they do, the pharmacy industry is too big right now, and their agenda is in favor of depopulation, they got cures they don't wanna put out, but promote alleged anti-flu vaccines, so for sure, legalizing drugs will be their final hammer hitting the nail on people's coffin.

Ah, Alma, Alma, Alma. It's all a matter of choice, whether these laws exist or not is irrelevant in the end.

You keep saying that. And your following repeated explanation for this, which I truncated, as the essence is clear:...

"People still do this, regardless of whether drug use is legal or not. Making drugs illegal has yet to stop an addict from selling their house. The truth is, it happens all too often, and the law is truly useless against it."

... It simply just can't, it doesn't justify legalizing them, and I've explained above in detail. It's not a good thing, it's crying out in the sky for all the reasons stated.

As for it being a world heading into chaos or whatever--you seem to underestimate the world more than I do, and here you are saying that I resent the world. I think it's a safe bet that most people wouldn't do hard drugs even if it was a legal option, simply because the problems which come along with drug use are well-known.

*Sighs..* Like I said before, this world is chaotic as it is, I only hate it when severely depressed, then I'm bound to grow a bit irrational. I'm not depressed when I call it chaotic, however, for it's how it is. By showing concerns, which at the end of the day, are human, doesn't make me underestimate the world more or less. And I'll never say all people are chaotic, nor will I say all people are weak. But those who are weak are many, and legalizing and giving them the 'ok' to drugs will be most of these weak people's hell. And saying things like "Oh, they'll find their drugs and use them anyway" simply doesn't justify this means.

At least if the drug was legalized, we could narrow the pool of potential crackhead robbers down in my specific location by tracing credit card numbers, etc. or by examining store footage of the crackheads who visited the crack stores that same day. So, I would say, legalizing drugs would probably make it <i>easier</i> to find the mystery person than making drugs illegal--which would permit the crackhead robber to sink into the murky clientèle of the local drug dealer, and I highly doubt he's going to be too willing to help us catch the crackhead robber.

With them legalized, for the millionth time, they will still be out of money from buying the drugs, - the abusers of drugs - and would still have to hit and eventually rob, and kill, so as to get their money for their daily dose. With drugs legalized, it's the same as taking/abusing medication is concerned, so not sure how these people who're abusing them will get tracked down easier and arrested for something that's so available for them in all pharmacy stores. Like medicines are. They'd get arrested for the illicit deeds they do while under the influence, same as is the case with alcohol. It's not like saying one DUI'ed, but although he didn't hurt others and/or himself, he still was in the wrong, for he could indeed have died in a car crash and taken other people's lives.

I'm not really being coherent anymore, sorry... have gone tired from trying to make so much sense...

I shouldn't have been even born, or other beyond selfish and irrational things of that nature here.]

So, what are you saying?... That you admit to being selfish and irrational?... Your words... Or that you are simply subjective? I know what depression can do, how it makes one wanna resent almost all, how it heightens one's already radicalist and/or nihilist a nature, am still struggling with it, but something very real and powerful like God who makes me change my mind every time. Not pushing anything religious to you, but I am really trying to understand what you are trying to say, and I can't justify it unless some deeply-rooted long-time depression is somehow involved in how you perceive things, people, principles, the world....

Last edited:
I know that even God accorded us free will. But He endowed man with a conscience, to think before doing something wrong and, eventually destroying lives: their own, as well as others.

Please do not bring God into this discussion as not everyone here is religious and believes they will go to hell for their sins etc. It's fine to have your personal beliefs and if religion prevents you from taking drugs then all the better, but not everyone feels this way. When talking about drug regulation, or any regulation for that matter, religion should not be the main guideline.

Yeah, others, for many don't wanna die and have reasons not to want to die, especially at the hands of others with drugs in their blood. Since when drugs (not including medication, though abusing them is just as dangerous) have ever done anything good to people?

You equate drug consumption to addiction and even death, which does not hold for the vast majority of people. Drinking a beer in the weekend will not make you an alcoholic and smoking weed every once in a while will not turn you into a suicidal meth addict.

You ask what good drugs can offer people? Well, of course most drugs are very harmful and the 'good' they offer does not outweigh the damage they can bring. However, some drugs do actually help people. For example, doctors in my country sometimes advise patients with rheumatism or similar problems to try a bit of marihuana to ease the pain. For people that are very shy and reserved, a glass of alcohol can help them open up a little. Smoking cigarettes can have a binding function among people, I've witnessed this myself although I don't smoke. Again, as long as you use these drugs responsibly, there isn't really a problem. Sure, they're not exactly healthy but neither is chocolate or fast food.

Mind you, I do not support the legalisation of hard drugs such as cocaine, heroine, meth, XTC etc. so don't think I am downplaying the dangers of drug consumption as a whole. In the case of hard drugs, they are highly addictive (whether physically or mentally) and can lead to severe adverse health effects. People who are addicted to hard drugs are not only harming themselves, they also place a burden on society as they are no longer productive. Therefore, preventing the sale and use of hard drugs is a case of national interest.

I do find it a bit hypocritical that the same people who are against the legalisation of soft drugs, usually don't want to go as far as prohibiting much more harmful and addictive drugs such as alcohol and tobacco.

Besides taking them to another world, for they're not ready for the one they're living in. Drugs is fueling a man's weakness and can take him away, even saying you don't care about them, as that was their choice, but what about their family, who may well have been a good family to them, does their hurt of losing their offspring to drugs not a terrible thing to have to live with? If people still can find drugs to get high in the streets or at a club, how would legalizing them altogether be a thing one should be indifferent about? This doesn't make sense, no matter how selfish and amoral the person being indifferent is.

Again, you're assuming that drug consumption automatically leads to addiction but alright, let's say that is the case. What makes you think the legalisation of a certain drug has an adverse impact on the use of that drug? Statistics show that this is not the case. As I said, the number of people who have used cannabis in their lifetime is 42.2% in the USA compared to just 22.6% in the Netherlands. The countries with more lenient drug laws generally also rank lower in terms of drug-related deaths and hard drug addiction.

I already explained the benefits of legalizing certain soft drugs in one of my previous posts so I'm not gonna go over it again.

Since we're living in a crazy place, how is nurturing it a good thing? If the rest of the 'inmates' should all have a choice, most would be able to put their fantasies and anger and disgust into action, they'd steal and beat and kill without a care in the world, for the law wouldn't interfere. As it wouldn't if drugs were legalized, the law would favor them. How is that a good thing, again?

How does legalizing certain drugs equate to "nurturing" the use of it? There are many things a government can do to warn people against using certain drugs besides outlawing them, starting with education. It is important to emphasize the dangers and consequences of using drugs, and that includes alcohol and tobacco. Again, I point to aforementioned statistics to prove that legalization of certain drugs does not necessarily lead to an increase in consumption.

As for your comparison to humans stealing, beating and killing if it weren't for the law, that is completely out of place here. In the case of stealing, beating and killing, other people are harmed and therefore it should be illegal. Nobody is arguing that. In the case of (soft) drug consumption, the only person being harmed is the person doing it. And soft drugs like marihuana are not nearly as addictive as alcohol or tobacco, nor do they pose as severe health effects, so your argument of families suffering due to its use only holds if you would support banning alcohol and tobacco too. That said, when drug consumption does lead to danger for others (e.g. drunk driving) it is illegal too, as it should be.

It's the very same if many suddenly got easy access to drugs, some don't know how/when to stop, and it ultimately falls on the head of others, too, from a selfish point of view, those who are innocent and who Don't deserve to be hurt.

Statistics prove otherwise.

If child pornography gets to one day be legalized, which is not delusional at all to fathom it could/will happen, would it look less illicit, if more exposed, or would the ancient legal porn on the market be beating child porn too, thus eventually removing them from the market?

Again a completely out of place and - dare I say - very inappropriate comparison. See my previous comment about harming others vs. harming oneself.

If child porn gets legalized, it'll be considered a normal thing, so the weaker population would be fed with sickness like that and okayed, okayed to look at a child in a sexual manner.

There is no evidence to support your theory that legalisation automatically leads to personal tolerance or even approval of things that would otherwise be considered immoral. Actually, it is quite the opposite. For example, there are still many people with anti-gay feelings due to their personal convictions, even if the laws in their country grant homosexuals equal rights. There are still many racists in the world even though most countries have laws that explicitly forbid racism. Conversely, there are many people who find it immoral to wear fur or leather, or even eat meat, even though there is no law against it. And again, as statistics show, legalisation of soft drugs did not lead to an increase of its use in my country.

And how would legalizing drugs fix the users'/abusers' pshychological state, if drugs were to be found in most pharmacies? They always find ways to obtain some, but, really, laying it all for them And others, who may have never tried drugs before, but they certainly must think (some of them, but many) that since they're legalized, like cigarrettes and alcohol is, than it's okay to try those too. ... Why need a therapist in that case, when you got the drugs just around the corner?

Yes, it would be downright hypocritical to say "it's OK to use alcohol and tobacco, but stay away from marihuana!" That's kinda like saying "you can jump off a cliff, but don't jump off a diving board because it's too dangerous". As for people wanting to try different drugs because it's "layed out for them" (which is practically not the case, but anyway), this is where education comes in. People should be educated from a young age what the dangers and effects of drugs are. If some then decide they want to try it, that's fine. It won't automatically turn them into an addict. Most people just want to know what it feels like and once they do, they're done with it. Look at Roosje, she has tried marihuana sometimes in the past and she didn't turn out to be a raving junkie (correct me if I'm wrong Roos ;)). You are taking it to the extreme.

It won't automatically turn them into an addict. Most people just want to know what it feels like and once they do, they're done with it. Look at Roosje, she has tried marihuana sometimes in the past and she didn't turn out to be a raving junkie (correct me if I'm wrong Roos ;)). You are taking it to the extreme.

No I'm not ;) I still smoke once a year or so with a friend who honestly does overdo it a bit, but she's one of the friendliest, most harmless, sweet persons you would ever meet. Also she has a fulltime job and many friends. These characteristics are hardly ever found in alcoholics. So yes, marihuana, although not without danger, is ruining considerably less lives than alcohol and it would still do so (does so actually in our mini country) when it would be legalised. If marihuana is out of the question alcohol should be too. It's just inconsistent to condemn one, without seeing the nasty reality of the other. I think the statistics do indeed prove it's better to legalise this particular drug.

Please don't get too stressed because I don't want it to get closed and it's only for a discussion:yes:

No I'm not ;) I still smoke once a year or so with a friend who honestly does overdo it a bit, but she's one of the friendliest, most harmless, sweet persons you would ever meet. Also she has a fulltime job and many friends. These characteristics are hardly ever found in alcoholics. So yes, marihuana, although not without danger, is ruining considerably less lives than alcohol and it would still do so (does so actually in our mini country) when it would be legalised. If marihuana is out of the question alcohol should be too. It's just inconsistent to condemn one, without seeing the nasty reality of the other. I think the statistics do indeed prove it's better to legalise this particular drug.

Right. And as for activities, gambling is not exactly harmless either. It can become a 24/7 obsession for some people and put them and their families in major debt. Like drug addicts, they will do anything to get money so they can continue feeding their addiction. Soooo... make it illegal then?

Please do not bring God into this discussion as not everyone here is religious and believes they will go to hell for their sins etc. It's fine to have your personal beliefs and if religion prevents you from taking drugs then all the better, but not everyone feels this way. When talking about drug regulation, or any regulation for that matter, religion should not be the main guideline.

Pardon? I was simply responding to Bloodnovsky's reply, in which they mentioned about people having free will to do whatever they want. Which is what God gave people as well. I never once mentioned any other religious thing to offend you and other atheists/agnostics or whatever you are. My mentioning had Everything to do with the topic in discussion, I wasn't mentioning the devil or anything, and if you feel offended by something this light, that's not my problem. If I attacked your god or your personal deep belief, I would have apologized, but I did none of that. You're putting words in my .. hand and intentions in my brain.

You equate drug consumption to addiction and even death, which does not hold for the vast majority of people. Drinking a beer in the weekend will not make you an alcoholic and smoking weed every once in a while will not turn you into a suicidal meth addict.

Yeah, exactly, I equated drug consumption with addiction and death. This can happen, it happens, doesn't mean a vast majority using drugs are bound to get addicted and die, I never said that. Alcohol and nicotine can take one to an early grave also, certainly. But that still doesn't mean one should legalize drugs all together, including crack, heroin or LSD. The topic never said "Oh, marijuana should get legalized" etc, it says drugs in general, and some stated they're pro All drugs being legalized.

You ask what good drugs can offer people? Well, of course most drugs are very harmful and the 'good' they offer does not outweigh the damage they can bring. However, some drugs do actually help people. For example, doctors in my country sometimes advise patients with rheumatism or similar problems to try a bit of marihuana to ease the pain. For people that are very shy and reserved, a glass of alcohol can help them open up a little. Smoking cigarettes can have a binding function among people, I've witnessed this myself although I don't smoke. Again, as long as you use these drugs responsibly, there isn't really a problem. Sure, they're not exactly healthy but neither is chocolate or fast food.

I see you're from the Netherlands. Beautiful country, by the way. In no way am attacking it, I've simply associated it with you mentioning weed, - I think it's legalized there?.. Not completely sure, so am asking out of sheer curiosity. And won't gonna attack it if they legalized it anyway. You referred to alcohol and niccotine again. Which are legalized, and, of course, if people like to smoke and drink, they need to do it within the normal limits. But again, this thread refers to drugs in general, including highly dangerous and addictive. Which are beyond not exactly healthy. Eating too much chocolate or fast food regularly is not either, fast food is loaded with artificial hormones leading to addiction, but this thread is about concrete drugs and their legalization. Have you another drug in mind with benefits for one's health? Even so, most would be buying it for recreational purposes, and although some aren't moral, they should respect others who are, or at least the should consider how their consumption of these addictive drugs - which they are - would affect their family. A lot of times responsability has been mentioned, but that is a foreign thing to some, sure we can't expect all people to be responsible in a real world. In a pink, intoxicated world, sure, everything is possible.

Mind you, I do not support the legalisation of hard drugs such as cocaine, heroine, meth, XTC etc. so don't think I am downplaying the dangers of drug consumption as a whole. In the case of hard drugs, they are highly addictive (whether physically or mentally) and can lead to severe adverse health effects. People who are addicted to hard drugs are not only harming themselves, they also place a burden on society as they are no longer productive. Therefore, preventing the sale and use of hard drugs is a case of national interest.

Well, thanks for clarifying on this. But, again, I was replying to a member here who didn't specify which drugs should get legalized or not, I'm assuming they referred to all of them, since even though the effects of hard drugs have been mentioned, including what you said above, they said that the free will of a person is golden to them, regardless of the drug they use.

I do find it a bit hypocritical that the same people who are against the legalisation of soft drugs, usually don't want to go as far as prohibiting much more harmful and addictive drugs such as alcohol and tobacco.

No, it's not hypocritical, therefore I, personally, won't feel offended. When my father used to drink and smoke a lot, - thankfully, he's overcome these vices - I hated anything to do with cigarettes and alcohol and was always afraid of drug users and drunk people. But I knew in the back of my head that reality is what it is, and frankly, with so many drinking and smoking in this world, their industry will Never collapse, for there's always gonna be people drinking and smoking. Better said, though I still am against tobacco and alcohol, as well as others, that ain't gonna change the teeniest fraction of a thing, so they can't do anything more than fighting to set up rules for people smoking in public places, such as restaurants or salloons. And alcohol is good for killing bacteria as well. I can only taste it since I get palpitations. But it's an unrealistic thing to have alcohol and tobacco prohibited. With marijuana being legalized, that's a step closer to get other more harmful drugs legalized. In my country, there are ethnobotanic herb shops in several places, not too few, they're called Dream Shops, and although they're selling incredibly dangerous combos of drugs, with many young adults ending up in the hospital, some dead as well, they're still not closed down entirely. If one shop gets closed, another one opens. So, what next, they should get legalized altogether? Knowing the many victims that they do. Aren't they? Unthinkable...

Again, you're assuming that drug consumption automatically leads to addiction but alright, let's say that is the case. What makes you think the legalisation of a certain drug has an adverse impact on the use of that drug? Statistics show that this is not the case. As I said, the number of people who have used cannabis in their lifetime is 42.2% in the USA compared to just 22.6% in the Netherlands. The countries with more lenient drug laws generally also rank lower in terms of drug-related deaths and hard drug addiction.

I understand that. Yet still can't understand the need to legalize drugs. One thing leads to another, many do;t settle for, say, marijuana and are bound to try some other more potent drugs, won't say that's a vast majority, but its a reality anyway, I know my best friend has quite a few girlfriends who have tried much more than just marijuana, one of them ending up in the middle of a park at night, who, most likely, got raped, the state they found her was very much suggestive of that, as her conscience completely abandoned her and she couldn't recollect any of what could've happened. That girl tried salvia divinorum. Some people just can't be supportive of these type of dangerous wanderings.

How does legalizing certain drugs equate to "nurturing" the use of it? There are many things a government can do to warn people against using certain drugs besides outlawing them, starting with education. It is important to emphasize the dangers and consequences of using drugs, and that includes alcohol and tobacco. Again, I point to aforementioned statistics to prove that legalization of certain drugs does not necessarily lead to an increase in consumption.

Right..., however, sheer curiosity has many times defeated reason. With drugs legalized, and available in drug stores, the access to their curiosity fulfilled is right there.

As for your comparison to humans stealing, beating and killing if it weren't for the law, that is completely out of place here.

No, it's not.

In the case of stealing, beating and killing, other people are harmed and therefore it should be illegal. Nobody is arguing that.

But some here are disputing that, read previous posts, and you'll see that such radical mentionings aren't at all misplaced.

In the case of (soft) drug consumption, the only person being harmed is the person doing it.

So it's not an okay thing.

And soft drugs like marihuana are not nearly as addictive as alcohol or tobacco, nor do they pose as severe health effects, so your argument of families suffering due to its use only holds if you would support banning alcohol and tobacco too.

I've explained above, yet you just chose to be doubtful and raise a brow calling people hypocritical just cause they didn't mention alcohol and tobacco. Well, I did now above, and I've yet to see how alcohol and tobacco will possibly get banned in this life. And see how other drugs should be legalized, just cuz alcohol and tobacco are, which is a senseless thing to say. It is, for people need No more legalizations of any drugs, many would dispute that, yet many don't know what's good for them. Add that to facilitating their access to more drugs and you'll get plain chaos.

Statistics prove otherwise.

I don't care about cold figures, but the state of a degrading mankind, be they mere few hazy drops in the ocean. Period.

Again a completely out of place and - dare I say - very inappropriate comparison. See my previous comment about harming others vs. harming oneself.

Again, I say it still doesn't justify more drugs being legalized. Am very aware of egoism, but some care too, if some others are harming themselves with the drugs they use, they're harming their health, others in the process, i.e. their family and friends. And some others who hate seeing others doing whatever with their lives. If some can't respect that, then there's no point in extending this topic further.

There is no evidence to support your theory that legalisation automatically leads to personal tolerance or even approval of things that would otherwise be considered immoral.

Really, no evidence at all? That's not just my theory, it's the theory of common sense and morality. It's not even subjective from this point of view.

Actually, it is quite the opposite. For example, there are still many people with anti-gay feelings due to their personal convictions, even if the laws in their country grant homosexuals equal rights.

As long as neither side is violent in proclaiming their rights, and not agreeing with them, respectively, all is well.

There are still many racists in the world even though most countries have laws that explicitly forbid racism. Conversely, there are many people who find it immoral to wear fur or leather, or even eat meat, even though there is no law against it.

That still doesn't justify the legalization of drugs...... Besides, some people can't live without eating meat, and some are too ill to afford not eating it, so this, being compared to using drugs doesn't work. People could live without recreational drugs - not talking from a medical point of view, but am targeting one's weakness -, if some can't, they do have a problem. They do. Whereas people not being able to live without meat is called being a human being, even one that loves animals, and that's not hypocritical, it's called survival for some.

Yes, it would be downright hypocritical to say "it's OK to use alcohol and tobacco, but stay away from marihuana!" That's kinda like saying "you can jump off a cliff, but don't jump off a diving board because it's too dangerous".

Nobody here said that so far, again, so your scenario falls down.

Most people just want to know what it feels like and once they do, they're done with it. Look at Roosje, she has tried marihuana sometimes in the past and she didn't turn out to be a raving junkie (correct me if I'm wrong Roos ;)). You are taking it to the extreme.

Never said most are bound to become junkies. And I am not taking it to the extreme just cause I wanna live in a safer, cleaner, more focused environment, one in which one shouldn't be afraid to let their children out into the world, because of so much temptation - not that I have a child yet - regardless of how much education they receive. Not supporting wanderings is an admirable aspect full of virtue, a thing to be respected and imitated, especially in a world more and more prone to weaknesses and scatterbrainness. And by saying that, I'm not referring to you, but those who are in this situation, and there are many. So, I am not taking it to the extreme if I don't want to see drugs being legalized, and others who feel the same don't take it either.

Last edited:
Pardon? I was simply responding to Bloodnovsky's reply, in which they mentioned about people having free will to do whatever they want. Which is what God gave people as well. I never once mentioned any other religious thing to offend you and other atheists/agnostics or whatever you are. My mentioning had Everything to do with the topic in discussion, I wasn't mentioning the devil or anything, and if you feel offended by something this light, that's not my problem. If I attacked your god or your personal deep belief, I would have apologized, but I did none of that. You're putting words in my .. hand and intentions in my brain.

I wasn't offended at all, I just don't see the use of mentioning God in this discussion. You can discuss free will without bringing up religion, as Bloodnofsky did. That's all :)

Yeah, exactly, I equated drug consumption with addiction and death. This can happen, it happens, doesn't mean a vast majority using drugs are bound to get addicted and die, I never said that. Alcohol and nicotine can take one to an early grave also, certainly. But that still doesn't mean one should legalize drugs all together, including crack, heroin or LSD. The topic never said "Oh, marijuana should get legalized" etc, it says drugs in general, and some stated they're pro All drugs being legalized.

And that is the problem with discussions about drugs, the term "drugs" gets generalized which only leads to confusion and misinterpretation. When talking about drug consumption and legalisation, I think we should distinguish between soft/hard drugs and recreational/medical drugs as there are great differences between various types of drugs.

The fact that alcohol and tobacco are allowed certainly doesn't mean all drugs should be legalized. However, it is important to note that these drugs are among the most dangerous and addictive in the world. Many scientists argue that if alcohol were invented today, it would get banned immediately. So yes, I do believe that if these hard drugs are allowed to be on the market then so should the relatively harmless soft drugs be. I say relative, because drugs like marihuana and hashish are not innocent. But they're not nearly as risky as alcohol or tobacco. My teacher always told me it is better to smoke marihuana than to smoke tobacco, as cigarettes are much more addictive than joints. My brother's girlfriend (16) smokes up to 20 cigarettes a day. She is poisening her body and doesn't seem to care. Despite all the campaigns, it seems many people are still not aware of the physical harm they're doing to themselves when they smoke or drink too much. There's not enough attention for this in school because cigarettes and alcohol have become more or less acceptable in society.

I see you're from the Netherlands. Beautiful country, by the way. In no way am attacking it, I've simply associated it with you mentioning weed, - I think it's legalized there?.. Not completely sure, so am asking out of sheer curiosity. And won't gonna attack it if they legalized it anyway.

No, it's not officially legalized but it's "tolerated", meaning you won't get arrested for using soft drugs like weed or growing it (max. 5 plants) and you can buy it legally in so-called coffeeshops. As I said, the Dutch law draws a clear distinction between soft drugs and hard drugs. Soft drugs (which entail an "acceptable risk") are put on one list and hard drugs (which entail an "unacceptable risk") are put on another, and the use of drugs on the soft list is not punishable while the use of drugs on the hard list is (except for alcohol/tobacco).

You referred to alcohol and niccotine again. Which are legalized, and, of course, if people like to smoke and drink, they need to do it within the normal limits. But again, this thread refers to drugs in general, including highly dangerous and addictive. Which are beyond not exactly healthy. Eating too much chocolate or fast food regularly is not either, fast food is loaded with artificial hormones leading to addiction, but this thread is about concrete drugs and their legalization. Have you another drug in mind with benefits for one's health? Even so, most would be buying it for recreational purposes, and although some aren't moral, they should respect others who are, or at least the should consider how their consumption of these addictive drugs - which they are - would affect their family. A lot of times responsability has been mentioned, but that is a foreign thing to some, sure we can't expect all people to be responsible in a real world. In a pink, intoxicated world, sure, everything is possible.

I agree, but drugs that are highly dangerous and addictive by definition belong to the "hard drugs" category which I believe should stay illegal so we are on the same page here ;)

Well, thanks for clarifying on this. But, again, I was replying to a member here who didn't specify which drugs should get legalized or not, I'm assuming they referred to all of them, since even though the effects of hard drugs have been mentioned, including what you said above, they said that the free will of a person is golden to them, regardless of the drug they use.

Fair enough.

No, it's not hypocritical, therefore I, personally, won't feel offended. When my father used to drink and smoke a lot, - thankfully, he's overcome these vices - I hated anything to do with cigarettes and alcohol and was always afraid of drug users and drunk people. But I knew in the back of my head that reality is what it is, and frankly, with so many drinking and smoking in this world, their industry will Never collapse, for there's always gonna be people drinking and smoking.

I wasn't specifically referring to you when I spoke about hypocricy, it was more of a general statement. I've had plenty of arguments with people who argued that marihuana should never be legalized because it is "too dangerous" yet they had no problems with alcohol and tobacco. If this is not a hypocritical way of thinking, I don't know what is.

But it's an unrealistic thing to have alcohol and tobacco prohibited. With marijuana being legalized, that's a step closer to get other more harmful drugs legalized.

It's not any more unrealistic than to prohibit the use of marihuana. Almost half of the American (or Canadian for that matter) population has tried marihuana at least once in their lives. Just because it is officially against the law, does not mean people won't use it. Outlawing drugs like marihuana only leads to overcrowded prisons, wasted police force and an illusion that everything is under control.

Also, I don't see how the legalization of marihuana leads to more harmful drugs being legalized. Marihuana has been de facto legalized for decades in my country yet hard drugs are still very much illegal. Furthermore, statistics don't show any relationship between use of marihuana and more harmful drugs. For example, 22.6% of Dutch citizens has used marihuana at least once while only 1.1% has tried cocaine. There has been much research into this topic but a connection between using soft drugs and hard drugs could not be proven (at least the last time I checked, which was about 2 years ago when I had to write a paper on this subject).

In my country, there are ethnobotanic herb shops in several places, not too few, they're called Dream Shops, and although they're selling incredibly dangerous combos of drugs, with many young adults ending up in the hospital, some dead as well, they're still not closed down entirely. If one shop gets closed, another one opens. So, what next, they should get legalized altogether? Knowing the many victims that they do. Aren't they? Unthinkable...

Of course not. If drugs are that harmful that users end up in the hospital or even dead, they clearly belong in the "hard drug" category and should thus be illegal. This type of drug would never be legalized in my country. Marihuana has never killed anyone though.

I understand that. Yet still can't understand the need to legalize drugs. One thing leads to another, many do;t settle for, say, marijuana and are bound to try some other more potent drugs, won't say that's a vast majority, but its a reality anyway, I know my best friend has quite a few girlfriends who have tried much more than just marijuana, one of them ending up in the middle of a park at night, who, most likely, got raped, the state they found her was very much suggestive of that, as her conscience completely abandoned her and she couldn't recollect any of what could've happened. That girl tried salvia divinorum. Some people just can't be supportive of these type of dangerous wanderings.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's friend. However, as I said before, there is no scientific evidence to suggest the use of soft drugs leads to the use of hard drugs. Who says this girl wouldn't have tried salvia divinorum without using marihuana? The two have no connection. You could just as easily say drunk people are more inclined to take harmful drugs, which could very well be true as it is a hard drug of itself but I haven't looked into that.

Right..., however, sheer curiosity has many times defeated reason. With drugs legalized, and available in drug stores, the access to their curiosity fulfilled is right there.

Then how do you explain the number of cannabis users in the USA and Canada (where it is illegal) is twice as big as in the Netherlands (where it is widely available)? I actually agree with your statement but reach the opposite conclusion. I believe a wide accessibility of a certain drug reduces curiosity to it. Many youngsters want to try things that are officially illegal because they think it's "cool" to do so. And in countries where drugs like marihuana are a taboo, the general public is often uninformed about what it exactly is. In my country, pretty much everyone knows what marihuana looks like, how it smells and what it does. Both factors decrease curiosity and I think that is part of the reason why Dutch citizens are far less inclined to take drugs than Americans/Canadians, as statistics show.

So it's not an okay thing.

It is to me. As I said in one of my previous posts, if a person above the legal age limit chooses to take certain (soft) drugs despite knowing the risks that are attached to it, he should be free to do so as long as he's not harming anyone else. You cannot force a heavy smoker to stop smoking, just like you can't force an obese person to stop eating fast food. Some people just don't care about the harm they're doing to themselves. My father is a heavy smoker and I've told him time and time again how unhealthy it is, but he just replies "I'd rather die at 70 with my cigarettes than turn 100 without them". At the end of the day, it's their own choice.

I've explained above, yet you just chose to be doubtful and raise a brow calling people hypocritical just cause they didn't mention alcohol and tobacco. Well, I did now above, and I've yet to see how alcohol and tobacco will possibly get banned in this life. And see how other drugs should be legalized, just cuz alcohol and tobacco are, which is a senseless thing to say. It is, for people need No more legalizations of any drugs, many would dispute that, yet many don't know what's good for them. Add that to facilitating their access to more drugs and you'll get plain chaos.

Again, the hypocricy comment was meant in general terms so please don't feel offended. Alcohol and tobacco can easily be banned, just like marihuana is now, but it won't stop anyone who wants to use them from doing it. The USA has tried it before with alcohol and it led to millions of people drinking it illegally, just like millions of people (42.2%) have used marihuana illegally.

I don't care about cold figures, but the state of a degrading mankind, be they mere few hazy drops in the ocean. Period.

You should, when these objective figures dispute what you're saying. You can't just argue that e.g. the legalization of marihuana leads to legalization of heavier drugs when there is no proof whatsoever to back it up.

Again, I say it still doesn't justify more drugs being legalized. Am very aware of egoism, but some care too, if some others are harming themselves with the drugs they use, they're harming their health, others in the process, i.e. their family and friends. And some others who hate seeing others doing whatever with their lives. If some can't respect that, then there's no point in extending this topic further.

I care too, but I don't believe it is up to the government to interfere with this. If people willfully harm themselves despite knowing the risks, it is their choice and there is nothing we can do about it. If you want to live in a place where the state decides what you eat, how many cigarettes a day you can smoke, how many glasses of beer you can drink at a party, etc. I'm sure there are countries you could move to ;)

Really, no evidence at all? That's not just my theory, it's the theory of common sense and morality. It's not even subjective from this point of view.

Yes, no evidence as my examples showed. The laws of a country do not define people's personal morals otherwise there would be no homophobia, racism or even vegetarianism (sp.) in most western countries.

As long as neither side is violent in proclaiming their rights, and not agreeing with them, respectively, all is well.

That's not my point. The fact is that most western countries have laws that clearly state that homosexuals have equal rights to heterosexuals and should thus be allowed to have intercourse, get married and adopt children. Still, you will find many people in those western countries who do not agree with these laws and find them "immoral". If this is the case with homosexuality, what makes you think it would be any different for paedophilia? Also, my example of racism that still occurs in virtually all western countries despite laws that clearly condemn it also shows how people do not just adopt the morals that are stated in their laws.

That still doesn't justify the legalization of drugs...... Besides, some people can't live without eating meat, and some are too ill to afford not eating it, so this, being compared to using drugs doesn't work. People could live without recreational drugs - not talking from a medical point of view, but am targeting one's weakness -, if some can't, they do have a problem. They do. Whereas people not being able to live without meat is called being a human being, even one that loves animals, and that's not hypocritical, it's called survival for some.

Again, you missed my point. I wasn't arguing whether vegetarianism is good or bad, it just serves as an example of some people finding things "immoral" even though the law does not speak against it. This further shows that people's personal morals are not dependent on the law.

Another example: until recently, bestiality was not illegal in my country yet the vast majority of the population found it very much immoral. Fortunately, it is banned now.

Never said most are bound to become junkies. And I am not taking it to the extreme just cause I wanna live in a safer, cleaner, more focused environment, one in which one shouldn't be afraid to let their children out into the world, because of so much temptation - not that I have a child yet - regardless of how much education they receive. Not supporting wanderings is an admirable aspect full of virtue, a thing to be respected and imitated, especially in a world more and more prone to weaknesses and scatterbrainness. And by saying that, I'm not referring to you, but those who are in this situation, and there are many. So, I am not taking it to the extreme if I don't want to see drugs being legalized, and others who feel the same don't take it either.

I want the same thing you want: a safer, cleaner and more focused environment. However, I am a pragmatic thinker whereas you seem to reason based on morality (not saying one is better than the other). Of course, in an ideal world nobody would take drugs and there would be no harmful temptations around us. Realistically speaking though, these problems have always been there in some form and they will not go away, no matter how strongly the law condemns them. So there are two options: either you maintain strict regulation and confine certain drugs to the illegal realm while under the pretense that this is a problem that can be solved, or you acknowledge that drug abuse can never be fully eliminated and thus focus all your attention on reducing the use and harm of drugs through government control and education. The second solution has proved to be more successful, according to statistics you apparently don't value, and therefore I support it. If legalization of certain drugs leads to a decrease in its use and harm, as it has in my country, then I see no reason to oppose it. Eventually, it is about reaching that final goal of having a safer, cleaner and more focused environment after all :)

Alma;3222754 said:
I know that even God accorded us free will. But He endowed man with a conscience, to think before doing something wrong and, eventually destroying lives: their own, as well as others. Yeah, others, for many don't wanna die and have reasons not to want to die, especially at the hands of others with drugs in their blood. Since when drugs (not including medication, though abusing them is just as dangerous) have ever done anything good to people? Besides taking them to another world, for they're not ready for the one they're living in. Drugs are fueling a man's weakness and can take him away, even saying you don't care about them, as that was their choice, but what about their family, who may well have been a good family to them, does their hurt of losing their offspring to drugs not matter, is not that a terrible thing to have to live with? If people still can find drugs to get high in the streets or at a club, how would legalizing them altogether be a thing one should be indifferent about? This doesn't make sense, no matter how selfish and amoral the person being indifferent is.

Religious wordings. Will ignore, because it's completely a vain quest to make something rational out of religion, in my humble opinion. Drugs are just that--drugs. They, by themselves, are neither good or bad. They're a tool to be used to suit one's purposes, whatever those may be. One has the freedom to choose what to do with oneself--what substances to put into one's body, et cetera. One simply must accept action and consequence. As for a dying addict's grieving family--well, they die every day, even now whilst we have the strictest drug policy in the modern world. Therefore, the problem is clearly not the legality of the drugs themselves--but rather the reason behind addicts' desire to pursue these drugs and have these addictions. The misanthrope in me wants to say that they're better off without them anyway, but I won't say that--I will say, however, that there is choice and subsequent consequence in all things--and as we are all born with the freedom to choose, we are all born with the responsibility to bear our consequences.

Hmmm. Well, I'm clearly not being selfish in wanting to legalize drugs--I don't do drugs, and probably never will, since the experience is simply not something which appeals to me. Therefore, I personally have nothing to gain either way, so how would this be a selfish thing to do? I simply support peoples' right to pick their poison, and the states' right to capitalize off of it, in place of the drug cartels. There's a very large profit to be made, and it's all going to the criminals.

PBS.org said:
What keeps the drug industry going is its huge profit margins. Producing drugs is a very cheap process. Like any commodities business the closer you are to the source the cheaper the product. Processed cocaine is available in Colombia for $1500 dollars per kilo and sold on the streets of America for as much as $66,000 a kilo (retail). Heroin costs $2,600/kilo in Pakistan, but can be sold on the streets of America for $130,000/kilo (retail). And synthetics like methamphetamine are often even cheaper to manufacture costing approximately $300 to $500 per kilo to produce in clandestine labs in the US and abroad and sold on US streets for up to $60,000/kilo (retail.)

As you can see, the prices are so high despite the cheap production cost <i>because</i> drugs are illegal in most developed countries. This means that the addicts can only have <i>one</i> source to get drugs from--and that's the drug cartels. Therefore, they feel entitled to charge whatever they please for a drug which was cheap to make, and line their pockets nicely with the addicts' money, in order to fund terrorist organizations in their own countries and abroad, not to mention, expand their drug empire. So, by making drugs illegal, we are ironically being counter-productive and <i>giving</i> these people more money with which to operate. With more money, they can make and sell more drugs to a wider market, overseas, in other countries, to younger clients, and even bribe police officers into cooperating with them for a nice sum of cash.

Were drugs to be legalized, we would <i>still</i> have the same drug problem (I never claimed otherwise), but we would also have a diminished or eliminated influence of drug cartels over time. That, like I said, is a high and worthy goal.

Like I said many times in posts prior to this, my interest in making drugs legal is to take the money away from the cartels, and put it in use in our country. They're <i>our</i> addicts, after all--why shouldn't we get their profits, if we're the ones who have to put up with them?

Alma said:
But you don't like it either, don't care about it, you call it an asyllum (sp.) already, or else the things you say wouldn't quite come off quite like the way they do and would counter my conclusions, for instance. Since we're living in a crazy place, how is nurturing it a good thing? If the rest of the 'inmates' should all have a choice, most would be able to put their fantasies and anger and disgust into action, they'd steal and beat and kill without a care in the world, for the law wouldn't interfere. As it wouldn't if drugs were legalized, the law would favor them. How is that a good thing, again? If we all put our choices into action, we'd all perish under the weight of our own actions and go to hell (not theologically speaking, as some freak out when that happens...). It's the very same if many suddenly got easy access to drugs, some don't know how/when to stop, and it ultimately falls on the head of others, too, saying that from a selfish point of view, those who are innocent and who Don't deserve to be hurt. The hopeless addicts will do whatever it takes to get their next rush who is their god, nothing else matters. If we all were animals without a conscience, and that still would've been crazy. ..... And inhumane.

I call it an asylum, you call it a "crazy place." Tomato, tomato, don't you think? (That comes off much better when spoken rather than written.) Like I said, you seem to under-estimate humanity more than I do-- you think the great lot of them would go off on a homicidal rampage if the law wasn't agent to stop them. I simply don't think that's true--the law deters a few people, a tiny minority of "on the fence" people, but in the end it is not what deters truly good individuals, and it does not stop those who truly wish to cause harm to themselves or to others (see murder, rape, assault, etc. throughout history.) The law is more useful to organize than to truly teach people a lesson, in my opinion. Like I said in my previous post--making drugs illegal doesn't help an addict in the least (you're sending him to a place with other addicts, who have gang connections, and thus facilitating his access to the drug--counterproductive.)

Now you seem to be contradicting yourself--first, you say (I think) that the law serves to keep addicts at bay and that's why we should keep drugs illegal, and now you're saying addicts will do whatever it takes to get the next rush (which is true.) So, then, making drugs illegal was useless in the end?

Alma said:
That's such a long shot, such make believe, considering the state of the world, which is more precarious by the day. And more keen with the unleashing of the unconscious mind. And say the economy will get fixed, esp. when depopulation is on many world governments' agenda. Even if you don't care about the world's population or about your own person, they're gonna keep on stealing from the people, from you, increase their taxes and incomes, yours too, and legalize other taxes for the people to pay, and they end up with their pockets full, after all, they're withdrawing money from the disadvantaged ones' funds quite a lot. Is that a fixed economy, really?

It is neither a long-shot, nor make-believe. It's a thing which takes time, obviously, but it is possible. Looking at how much profit the drug industry makes per year (billions) we could fix our debt to China in no time, or at least make enough money so that we're on our way to paying that debt. Depopulation?? I say, you've been listening to too much David Icke.

If that's so--then, these are the same governments which fund the police which you hope will deter potential addicts. So, tell me if that sounds logical to you--the evil government is going to help us fight drugs how? Who do you think makes the laws which make drug use illegal? Ah, the government, that's who. So, if they're so evil, why would they bother with that in the first place? If the illuminati or whoever you think is running the government behind the shadows were so keen on depopulizing the Earth, then, why would they even bother to uphold laws and institutions, et cetera? Maybe, just maybe, it's because they're secretly working with the drug cartels, making drugs illegal, so that they can get a share of that inflated profit for themselves? :p

Irrelevant note: depopulation isn't such a bad idea. Have you seen what happens to species which suffer from overpopulation problems? They generally don't fare too well--too many of them, too little food. The most common reaction is cannibalism, and then, the world would be too crazy for us, no?

Alma said:
If child pornography gets to one day be legalized, which is not delusional at all to fathom it could/will happen, would it look less illicit, if more exposed, or would the ancient legal porn on the market be beating purchasing child porn too, thus eventually removing them from the market? Really? The media is a too well known tool of mass brainwashing, they love propaganda and love to play mind games which they're too effective, without one having to even grow aware of that. It's often the case. If child porn gets legalized, it'll be considered a normal thing, so the weaker population would be fed with sickness like that and okayed, okayed to look at a child in a sexual manner. Not gonna put words in your mouth, that you would show indifference about child porn being legalized, but it was a serious question nonetheless, given everything that's been said. You've said before how you were quite amoral, but even by being that way... I don't know what else to say or how to finish what I meant to say...

Child pornography has a specific clientèle, though--that one being pedophiles. They're a small albeit dangerous minority in the general population, who are better serviced if sentenced to prison time and counseling, etc. The biological phenomenon of pedophilia is not as of yet fully understood--however, it is clear that this is unacceptable behaviour because it is biologically illogical (pre-pubescent children are not fully developed, thus not prepared for sexual intercourse, etc.) The practice is easily condemned on basis of biology alone. As for the market--the child sex slavery market is actually directly connected to the illegal drug trade, as I have mentioned before. The people who run those drug cartels don't only sell drugs--they use the money the drugs make to fund terrorist organizations, sex slavery of women and children around the world, in addition to other things, which I feel I've mentioned earlier. Therefore, not legalizing drugs actually gives these people even more room to make more money and to further fund these activities.

Alma said:
And how would legalizing drugs fix the users'/abusers' pshychological state, if drugs were to be found in most pharmacies? They always find ways to obtain some, but, really, laying it all for them And others, who may have never tried drugs before, but they certainly must think (some of them, but many) that since they're legalized, like cigarrettes and alcohol is, than it's okay to try those too, and use them on a regular basis. ... Why need a therapist in that case, when you got the drugs waiting for you just around the corner?

They should have a warning label like cigarettes and alcohol do. The information on the harmful effect of drugs isn't exactly hidden--it's readily available all over the internet, and in hospitals, et cetera, so the fact that they're not good for you isn't exactly a secret. If people are too dull to research into what they're putting in their bodies, that's neither the states' nor my problem. Like I have said before, it's all about individual priorities in the end--those who are curious about drugs or want to try them will find a way to do so (and, even though it's technically illegal, obtaining drugs isn't exactly difficult. Guess where they are--schools!! :)) So, yeah, would I rather have the drugs be handed out by a qualified drug store, with warning labels, etc. attached, or would I rather have them being dealt by some adolescent delinquent in a high school bathroom? You don't know what that kid did to the stuff you're buying--at least if the drugs are legalized, you can sue the pharmacy if your stuff "ain't right."

Alma said:
And I'm asking again: how is legalizing drugs to help those people or minimizing their drug use? Since they're legalized, legal, no longer prohibited, if others wanna help them and take them to the rehab, even if taken by force, the legality of drugs, just like any other medication out there, would still make them return to their destructive refuge, so how can somebody ever hope helping these weak beings, Especially when the legal system itself is encouraging them to consume them, for yes, that's what they do, the pharmacy industry is too big right now, and their agenda is in favor of depopulation, they got cures they don't wanna put out, but promote alleged anti-flu vaccines, so for sure, legalizing drugs will be their final hammer hitting the nail on people's coffin.

Like I said many times before, I never claimed it would. How is making drugs illegal going to help people minimize their drug use? It takes a simple compare/contrast between the US and Holland (one country in which cannabis is illegal, the other in which it isn't) to see how effective the law is in preventing drug use:

WHO said:
The World Health Organization's survey of legal and illegal drug use in 17 countries, including the Netherlands and other countries with less stringent drug laws, shows Americans report the highest level of cocaine and marijuana use.

For example, Americans were four times more likely to report using cocaine in their lifetime than the next closest country, New Zealand (16% vs. 4%),

Marijuana use was more widely reported worldwide, and the U.S. also had the highest rate of use at 42.4% compared with 41.9% of New Zealanders.

In contrast, in the Netherlands, which has more liberal drug policies than the U.S., only 1.9% of people reported cocaine use and 19.8% reported marijuana use.

As you can see, the one country where the drug laws are the least liberal, is the one in which drug use is the highest problem. Ironic?

Alma said:
You keep saying that. And your following repeated explanation for this, which I truncated, as the essence is clear:...

"People still do this, regardless of whether drug use is legal or not. Making drugs illegal has yet to stop an addict from selling their house. The truth is, it happens all too often, and the law is truly useless against it."

... It simply just can't, it doesn't justify legalizing them, and I've explained above in detail. It's not a good thing, it's crying out in the sky for all the reasons stated.

Hmm, no. You have yet to truncate it, or offer any rational reasons without some sort of religious or moral undertone with which to really disprove my argument. It justifies making a profit off of another person's problem, certainly. Morality is not a part of the equation in my rationale, nor should it be. Perhaps it doesn't justify it in your eyes (and those of some others), however, it is the logical thing to do.

Alma said:
*Sighs..* Like I said before, this world is chaotic as it is, I only hate it when severely depressed, then I'm bound to grow a bit irrational. I'm not depressed when I call it chaotic, however, for it's how it is. By showing concerns, which at the end of the day, are human, doesn't make me underestimate the world more or less. And I'll never say all people are chaotic, nor will I say all people are weak. But those who are weak are many, and legalizing and giving them the 'ok' to drugs will be most of these weak people's hell. And saying things like "Oh, they'll find their drugs and use them anyway" simply doesn't justify this means.

They already have the OK to do it in their heads, though. Whether it is legal or not is clearly irrelevant to them--since they already do what they do. It's not the most difficult thing in the world to find drugs, if you really want them. Making them illegal only seems to facilitate access to them, actually. Go to any high school or college, and therein you will find at least one drug dealer. They know where to go. Legalizing it would at least allow the government to regulate the production of these drugs, so as to keep your precious addicts relatively safe from toxic concoctions which some dealers sell in order to cut costs and pocket more profit.

Alma said:
With them legalized, for the millionth time, they will still be out of money from buying the drugs, - the abusers of drugs - and would still have to hit and eventually rob, and kill, so as to get their money for their daily dose. With drugs legalized, it's the same as taking/abusing medication is concerned, so not sure how these people who're abusing them will get tracked down easier and arrested for something that's so available for them in all pharmacy stores. Like medicines are. They'd get arrested for the illicit deeds they do while under the influence, same as is the case with alcohol. It's not like saying one DUI'ed, but although he didn't hurt others and/or himself, he still was in the wrong, for he could indeed have died in a car crash and taken other people's lives.

And, for the millionth time, with them illegalized, they would still be out of money from buying the drugs, at an even faster rate (see cost of drug production in contrast to street price.) That would make them lose their house even faster, etc. So, it would seem, your approach would lead them to ruin even faster. I don't even consider the addicts' personal problems to be a cause for concern, whether drugs are legal or not, their lives will just be one sad trainwreck (crashing at a faster rate if drug use remains illegal due to drug costs, et cetera.)

To be perfectly honest, you lost me with the DUI example. Driving under the influence of anything should be barred--it's completely different to just stay in your house and get high till the cows come home, than to go out and drive, etc. They make driving under the influence of alcohol illegal--but not the alcohol itself. Therefore, I fail to see what you're trying to prove with that example.

Alma said:
I'm not really being coherent anymore, sorry... have gone tired from trying to make so much sense...

Trying is a noble cause.

Alma said:
So, what are you saying?... That you admit to being selfish and irrational?... Your words... Or that you are simply subjective? I know what depression can do, how it makes one wanna resent almost all, how it heightens one's already radicalist and/or nihilist a nature, am still struggling with it, but something very real and powerful like God who makes me change my mind every time. Not pushing anything religious to you, but I am really trying to understand what you are trying to say, and I can't justify it unless some deeply-rooted long-time depression is somehow involved in how you perceive things, people, principles, the world....

Nope. I just put that there because you put it in your previous post, and I wanted to make you smile. :) I am being neither selfish, nor irrational. Like I said at the beginning of this post, I have nothing to personally gain from the legalization or lack thereof of drugs. I don't plan on doing, or selling, drugs--so the entire thing is a non-issue for me personally. Therefore, it can't really be selfish, if there's nothing in it for me. Irrational? I beg to differ. My arguments are based on logic and reason--not unscientific things like morality, religious beliefs, and conspiracy theories, therefore, I would say I'm being pretty rational.

I'm plainly objective. In order to be subjective, you have to apply personal beliefs, etc. to your argument, which would not stand by reason alone, and by inflicting religion and all sorts of other creeds into your argument, you are indeed being subjective. I back up my arguments with facts, logic, and sources which prove my points. There's nothing subjective about that--it is the generally accepted academic manner of argument.

Well, from what you have posted, I would say that you have a far dimmer view of the world than I do. I think most people are plainly average--neither capable of great nor terrible things. There are a small number of people who are "weak" (as you call them), and a few who are "strong." Most people fall somewhere in the middle of the spectrum--so no, I do not believe that, were we to legalize drugs, we would go into a state of utter and complete pandemonium. That seems to me to be a rather negative estimation of most peoples' abilities to reason--an estimation which you, not I, made. My hypothesis is that drug use would either slightly decrease or increase were we to legalize drugs--however, one thing for certain is that, were we to compete with the cartels in a capitalistic market, we would either bankrupt them or cut off the majority of their incoming wealth in the long-term. That's just basic business.

As for my viewpoint--there's no need to justify it. It is what it is--a product of observation and research, very much like nihilism itself. The only ones who view nihilists as "depressed" people are romantics and idealists who wish to hold on to their irrational ideals for dear life, in my humble observation.

In any case, I would like to say that it's been a great pleasure to debate with you. It's certainly been an interesting debate, and I have enjoyed reading everyone's viewpoint regarding this and various other matters. We must keep in mind that we're just having theoretical arguments, and none of us are probably going to change policy any time soon. :p

Last edited:
Please don't get too stressed because I don't want it to get closed and it's only for a discussion:yes:

I don't think anyone is getting stressed. There seem to be some healthy and interesting debates between members here, all of which are a pleasure to read. Just because we're arguing doesn't mean we're being hostile to each other. There's much to be gained from healthy argumentation--we don't all have to hold the same views, nor agree with what the popular belief is.

I think it's fair to say that, despite our differences in opinion/hypotheses/views, we all very much respect each other, both as members of this forum and as people in general.

As for educating youngsters about drugs, I found a clip about cocaine with English subtitles from the show "Spuiten & Slikken" which I have mentioned before. This is an informative show (on state television) about sex and drugs, in which the presenters explore these fields with the help of experts. It stopped now but it used to be a very popular show. I think this is an effective way to educate youngsters about drugs, they learn from experience without having to try it themselves. Anyway, judge for yourself :) Btw, I am fairly certain that these kinds of things would never ever be broadcast in America, let alone be funded by the state, their media/politicians would freak out :lol:

[youtube]yJNkcketPfQ[/youtube]

drugs are for losers, you dont need 'em to have a good time.

That's really true... Though I'm not gonna call drug consumers losers, but rather, weak beings, they still don't need it. Wonderful alternatives for that can be music, jogging in the park on a cold morning, taking a trip into the mountains, the fresh air there being vital for neurological imbalances; playing with animals, watch helpful movies, getting more educated on that there is no need to use drugs for real. Of course, those with a terrible, terrible life may be prone to mistakes, because they're hurting and they're very vulnerable, and if nothing helped them, they may resort to drugs, which is not a good thing, but that's when rehab intervenes... Other alternatives are even prescribed medication meant to increase serotonin levels in the brain, especially for those suffering from depression, anxiety and other affiliated illnesses/sensitivities. A glass of red wine even, to calm the spirit a bit, and it's proven to be good for the heart. If the drug consumer has incredibly serious problems that bring him down, confiding to a psychotherapist may help, along with prescribed medication... again... But not recreational drugs. If the drug consumer is a happy-go-lucky person with no psychological problems, self-esteem issues or a horrid life, yet try drugs for pure pleasure, like smokers puff cigarrettes, that's not okay, and I'm not even going to develop on that, I already did that in plenty. ...

I wasn't offended at all, I just don't see the use of mentioning God in this discussion. You can discuss free will without bringing up religion, as Bloodnofsky did. That's all :)

And I'm saying one last time that I referenced God shortly in the points I was trying to make to emphasize on that even He gave people free will. Nothing more, nothing less. But that we are not animals without a conscience to do what some animals do, since dearest them weren't born with that precious psychological jewel. You did, however, seemed offended by my use of mentioning God. Serves me right for daring to even hint to that. ...

And that is the problem with discussions about drugs, the term "drugs" gets generalized which only leads to confusion and misinterpretation. When talking about drug consumption and legalisation, I think we should distinguish between soft/hard drugs and recreational/medical drugs as there are great differences between various types of drugs.

But a couple of members replying on here said all drugs should get legalized, so I'm referring to all since the context involves all medication. Naturally, there are soft, and hard, really dangerous drugs - for the consumers and those they potentially/definitely hurt. While some are in favor of the legalization of all drugs, certainly some others should be allowed to be against that. It should suffice we have alcohol and tobacco legal and available everywhere on the market. I'm all for the banning of cigarrettes, cigars and things like that, but that Will never ever happen in this life, again. No matter how much their prices get upped, - it may work for some, it worked for my father - but some other people are always gonna buy them. At least the focus should be on other substances and how they shouldn't get legalized. For we're yet to see a day when canabbis gets to replace nicotine.

I agree, but drugs that are highly dangerous and addictive by definition belong to the "hard drugs" category which I believe should stay illegal so we are on the same page here ;)

Thanks.

I wasn't specifically referring to you when I spoke about hypocricy, it was more of a general statement. I've had plenty of arguments with people who argued that marihuana should never be legalized because it is "too dangerous" yet they had no problems with alcohol and tobacco. If this is not a hypocritical way of thinking, I don't know what is.

I agree on that. But more non-hazardous caution should manifest before criticizing people or calling them out, when the interlocutor himself/herself may get offended due to them omitting to say/type some assertions, although they themselves very much may not/don't support those verbal omissions.

It's not any more unrealistic than to prohibit the use of marihuana. Almost half of the American (or Canadian for that matter) population has tried marihuana at least once in their lives. Just because it is officially against the law, does not mean people won't use it. Outlawing drugs like marihuana only leads to overcrowded prisons, wasted police force and an illusion that everything is under control.

And that is where the need for early proper education intervenes. And a personal character. And if they don't exist.. Don't know.

Also, I don't see how the legalization of marihuana leads to more harmful drugs being legalized. Marihuana has been de facto legalized for decades in my country yet hard drugs are still very much illegal. Furthermore, statistics don't show any relationship between use of marihuana and more harmful drugs. For example, 22.6% of Dutch citizens has used marihuana at least once while only 1.1% has tried cocaine. There has been much research into this topic but a connection between using soft drugs and hard drugs could not be proven (at least the last time I checked, which was about 2 years ago when I had to write a paper on this subject).

There is still the other left, forgotten percent of people who try more potents drugs following marijuana. And today's governmental societies very much tend to 'cater to' people's weaknesses, we've got thousands of children and people, for instance, who are vaccinated against flu, and are led to believe that is the safe way to protect oneself from getting the flu, but they fail to mention their side effects in time and, of course, how damaging they really are. That's their depopulation agenda that filling their pockets big. Besides, as I've said before, really, there are a lot of alternatives to drugs. I can understand one's curiosity, or one's weakness, but, certainly, there is no need to validate it, which is what legalization of drugs do. I'm not even referring to marijuana in particular. Not at all. As to what hard drugs are concerned, not even gonna dwell on it again, and thankfully, there are others like you who understand the wrongness of legalizing them too.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's friend. However, as I said before, there is no scientific evidence to suggest the use of soft drugs leads to the use of hard drugs. Who says this girl wouldn't have tried salvia divinorum without using marihuana? The two have no connection. You could just as easily say drunk people are more inclined to take harmful drugs, which could very well be true as it is a hard drug of itself but I haven't looked into that.

Scientific evidence can very well be manipulated. Very well. However, again, I'm not primarily referring to marijuana when mentioning the use of soft drugs, but even that alleged small number of people that started using hard drugs after first starting with the soft ones. I've read about, testimonies of victims of drugs abuse, who said they started it with softer drugs, then went on to experience with the most potent. Because the softer ones were no longer efficient for them, or did nothing to them, so they took cocaine next, for instance, even some celebrities that I have read about confirmed to that. The percentage in this case is irrelevant. They're still people, and some are comfortable with hearing it/seeing it for themselves rather than listening to what cold statistics have to say. They're still people's lives involved. And again about alcohol, we're yet to see it being banned, which will never happen, it still doesn't justify wanting/agreeing on legalizing more substances. There is no need to do that, plenty of better, more natural, cleaner alternatives available already. I guess we'll sadly have to agree to disagree, and there's nothing else to be added about this, really.

Then how do you explain the number of cannabis users in the USA and Canada (where it is illegal) is twice as big as in the Netherlands (where it is widely available)? I actually agree with your statement but reach the opposite conclusion. I believe a wide accessibility of a certain drug reduces curiosity to it. Many youngsters want to try things that are officially illegal because they think it's "cool" to do so.

There are many who abuse medication, too, and that's available everywhere in pharmacies worldwide. Once more substances get legalized, those who previously were obscured and all that, the youth or whatever other category that's vulnerable will breathe a sigh of relief, for they won't have to hide anymore. There's no real evidence to support the fact that the legalization of more drugs of this kind, once illicit, would reduce people's curiosity. For there's still some curiosity left, if not in them, in others, and many times, curiosity kills the cat. Although I do understand what you said about Dutch citizens and have no reasons to doubt that. However.. there are still people out there the curiosity of whom either damaged or destroyed them for good and some worry about that too.

It is to me. As I said in one of my previous posts, if a person above the legal age limit chooses to take certain (soft) drugs despite knowing the risks that are attached to it, he should be free to do so as long as he's not harming anyone else. You cannot force a heavy smoker to stop smoking, just like you can't force an obese person to stop eating fast food. Some people just don't care about the harm they're doing to themselves. My father is a heavy smoker and I've told him time and time again how unhealthy it is, but he just replies "I'd rather die at 70 with my cigarettes than turn 100 without them". At the end of the day, it's their own choice.

Yeah, a choice that can/could kill them. And I agree on that more should be strong enough to not yield to temptation and think about their own health, and how them not doing so can affect those that love them, family, friend, etc. I'm sure you are concerned somehow about your father, since he's a chain smoker. But with tobacco being legal - unfortunately - , I'll say it again, that there's no need to further legalize other substances, whether less dangerous than alcohol and tobacco or not. Just fueling one's weaknesses or need to escape, when, again, there are plenty other healthier, natural ways to do that.

Alcohol and tobacco can easily be banned, just like marihuana is now, but it won't stop anyone who wants to use them from doing it. The USA has tried it before with alcohol and it led to millions of people drinking it illegally, just like millions of people (42.2%) have used marihuana illegally.

The industry will never ban alcohol and tobacco from the market. These have been generating unbelievably huge profits for the producers and advertisers for ages. The elites don't care about people's health, let's be fair, it's more evident now than perhaps ever before. If that was the case, sodas would've been too banned so far, as they're killing many around the world, yet still is largely, grossly consumed. It's non-alcoholic, it's legal, and even though they should be banned, they'll never be, lots and lots of people are consuming them. Again, I'll ask, in this case, why the need for more legalization? No need at all. At all.

You should, when these objective figures dispute what you're saying. You can't just argue that e.g. the legalization of marihuana leads to legalization of heavier drugs when there is no proof whatsoever to back it up.

There may not be enough reported proof, but some would choose to be more proactive in thought and action and consider the real cases that make a difference, however small.

I care too, but I don't believe it is up to the government to interfere with this. If people willfully harm themselves despite knowing the risks, it is their choice and there is nothing we can do about it.

Yes, it is very much to the goverment too. It's that powerful and they can invest more money into campaigning against the use of drugs, of exacerbated alcohol and the like, which doesn't happen. While this doesn't happen in the case of their own comfort and secret services. Advertisements are devoted crazy amounts of money, for promotion of products and objects that fuel hedonism and one's own comfort, thus selfishness, but that's not the thread for it.

If you want to live in a place where the state decides what you eat, how many cigarettes a day you can smoke, how many glasses of beer you can drink at a party, etc. I'm sure there are countries you could move to ;)

Are you referring to me, personally, as well? For where I live, the state very much decides the consumer eats, with all the crap that's injected into foods, for instance. Or if you're talking about an ideal country, name me one and maybe I'll consider moving, If I could afford it. Otherwise, it's such a hazardous thing and make-believe to say, no offense.

That's not my point. The fact is that most western countries have laws that clearly state that homosexuals have equal rights to heterosexuals and should thus be allowed to have intercourse, get married and adopt children. Still, you will find many people in those western countries who do not agree with these laws and find them "immoral". If this is the case with homosexuality, what makes you think it would be any different for paedophilia? Also, my example of racism that still occurs in virtually all western countries despite laws that clearly condemn it also shows how people do not just adopt the morals that are stated in their laws.

I apologize, but we're extending to more than one topic here, and I don't have the proper time to cover that, too, already typing very fast, that's for some other thread... Still, there's no need to legalize drugs, no matter which type. There really isn't.

Again, you missed my point. I wasn't arguing whether vegetarianism is good or bad, it just serves as an example of some people finding things "immoral" even though the law does not speak against it. This further shows that people's personal morals are not dependent on the law.

Which makes it all the more wrong to encourage wrong beliefs by the law.

I want the same thing you want: a safer, cleaner and more focused environment. However, I am a pragmatic thinker whereas you seem to reason based on morality (not saying one is better than the other).

I am a very pragmatic thinker as well... obviously, based on everything I've said. And moral as well, the perfect combination, without being boastful of myself. But that's a thing worth to be imitated, at least appreciated, for it's healthy, at the end of the day, and abnegational....

Of course, in an ideal world nobody would take drugs and there would be no harmful temptations around us. Realistically speaking though, these problems have always been there in some form and they will not go away, no matter how strongly the law condemns them.

And that's why I mentioned how alcohol and tobacco will never be banned. Realistically speaking, it's the truth. There's no need to legalize more substances, and, as I said before, we'll just have to unfortunately just settle to agree to disagree. Otherwise debates like that will be ongoing.

Eventually, it is about reaching that final goal of having a safer, cleaner and more focused environment after all :)

With much more education and the study of ethics it can happen. I'll add 'my opinion' to the previous mentioning, so as not to endlessly prolong the discussion. And because a safer, cleaner, more focused environment is really... or would really, really be created by returning to it, by getting people to return to nature and enjoying it, exploring natural life's treasures and openness more, and be able to find pure escapism and bliss in it, without polluting it with other substances, or one's body with them.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is getting stressed. There seem to be some healthy and interesting debates between members here, all of which are a pleasure to read. Just because we're arguing doesn't mean we're being hostile to each other. There's much to be gained from healthy argumentation--we don't all have to hold the same views, nor agree with what the popular belief is.

I think it's fair to say that, despite our differences in opinion/hypotheses/views, we all very much respect each other, both as members of this forum and as people in general.

OK carry on:yes::yes:

Drugs are addictive
Addiction means you'll do anything to get your fix, The average person cannot afford to be addicted to drugs.....Meaning they'll go out and rob an innocent person to get the money to feed their habit. In that respect they should NEVER be legal

Im 17 btw and a bloke most of my mates smoke weed but 1 in 6 people under 40 will live to be a hundred years old and im hpoing to be one of them adn a athelete so im stayin clean

Drugs are addictive
Addiction means you'll do anything to get your fix, The average person cannot afford to be addicted to drugs.....Meaning they'll go out and rob an innocent person to get the money to feed their habit. In that respect they should NEVER be legal

Im 17 btw and a bloke most of my mates smoke weed but 1 in 6 people under 40 will live to be a hundred years old and im hpoing to be one of them adn a athelete so im stayin clean

Thank you for your simple, fresh outlook on this issue, especially as a person preparing to become an adult. On health in general. That's how it should be, getting entangled in all kinds of explanations, when this is so simple to understand. Way to go, the world needs more people like you.

Back