Deepak Chopra: Michael Jackson Thought He Wasn’t 'Good Enough'

People leave Deepak ALONE.

Oh my god, seriously, that man has done nothing wrong against Michael. I'm sorry but if you need something like propofol to sleep - than your a drug addict. Big deal. I'm still a fan and always will be. I'm addict of sleeping medication myself! (cant sleep without it) Just because he's stating the fact gives people no reason to get angry with him.

I so dislike the term "drug addict." I understand what you are saying here, and I guess it depends on how you define the word. But then if you have insomnia and needs meds to sleep~ I don't think that makes a person an addict. Otherwise, diabetics are addicts for needing insulin, claritin users are addicts for needing it for chronic seasonal allergies, all the folks with high blood pressure meds are addicts, half the people in America are addicts with their prozac or or or...

See what I mean? I do not consider any of those people addicts. They are just people who have health conditions which require meds all the time. An insomniac has just as real a medical reason to seek help. Sleep deprivation can lead to serious health consequences, not to mention accidents, etc.

Propofol is not used as a narcotic, which Klein emphasized. I think maybe that is some dividing line. Wanting a medicine badly which does nothing to get a person high, but only serves to correct a medical issue.... then I don't see that the same at all.

I agree, Draliongirl. I think Deepak was genuinely upset after Michael passed away. He seemed to be really upset. I think he impulsively spoke out in coping with his grief and trying to make some sense of things.

I also do not like the "drug addict" part... but ... must add that I do not like the term in general. I find it dehumanizing.

I will have to disagree here.

Deepak was on the news not even a day after Michael died talking about his drug addiction. He said he was doctoring shopping all over the place with his alias and were enable by multiple doctors. He talked about Michael numbing the pain of his troubles and how he cut people off with his addiction.

He along with Uri, Oxman, and the Rabbi were out in front of the media camera trying to make Michael the next poster child of drug addiction and how this was to use to finally get rid of 'evil' doctors were enable drug abuse. He like everyone else were singing the Demerol song.

When the tox came out and it showed that not only did he not have painkillers in his systems, but it was all medicines Murray, by himself, gave him, they were all struck dumb. To give them another kick in the balls, when the autopsy was leaked, surprise, surprise, Michael was healthy. Which shows he was not a drug addict.

Now we have Deepak trying to back paddle by saying he die of drugs, which is true, but he completely miss it with the whole drug addict story. Why do you think you do not hear him running his mouth as much as he had before the tox came out.

Sorry, although Deepak may be the lesser of the foursome, he was and is still a media hore.

I will have to disagree here.

Deepak was on the news not even a day after Michael died talking about his drug addiction. He said he was doctoring shopping all over the place with his alias and were enable by multiple doctors. He talked about Michael numbing the pain of his troubles and how he cut people off with his addiction.

He along with Uri, Oxman, and the Rabbi were out in front of the media camera trying to make Michael the next poster child of drug addiction and how this was to use to finally get rid of 'evil' doctors were enable drug abuse. He like everyone else were singing the Demerol song.

When the tox came out and it showed that not only did he not have painkillers in his systems, but it was all medicines Murray, by himself, gave him, they were all struck dumb. To give them another kick in the balls, when the autopsy was leaked, surprise, surprise, Michael was healthy. Which shows he was not a drug addict.

Now we have Deepak trying to back paddle by saying he die of drugs, which is true, but he completely miss it with the whole drug addict story. Why do you think you do not hear him running his mouth as much as he had before the tox came out.

Sorry, although Deepak may be the lesser of the foursome, he was and is still a media hore.

I suspect Deepak sees a lot of this type of thing in Hollywood and unfairly projected those other situations onto Michael. I do think his speaking out was a knee-jerk grief reaction, though. It was wrong for him to not honor Michael's character. I agree. He should have waited and formed his opinions based on facts, not speculation. Further, as a friend, he should have given Michael the benefit of the doubt. Still, knowing Deepak is usually kind, I feel it was uncharacteristic of him- so likely grief related.

fine, but his son Gotham is still an ass.

Yes he is, and I "LOVED" (please note the sarcasm people) how Gotham made the claim as MJ's funeral was going on that HE helped Michael write some of his best songs, and that Michael would come out of the bath room with money and a bunch of other BS. I was like RIIIIIIGHT, Michael Jackson needed the help from you in order to write songs, he claimed he gave Mike a Thesaurous or however you spell it or a dictionary or whatever...My mother actually laughed watching Larry King when he said that. And with him making the claim that they were "close friends". My mother said, "If they were such good friends why isn't he at the funeral?" LOL! I laughed. Michael is and was a world class song writer and for his little punk ass to try and take credit for helping in writing some of the songs...I mean really. That's just pathetic and in very bad taste. He and his pops needs to just GO AWAY!

Yes he is, and I "LOVED" (please note the sarcasm people) how Gotham made the claim as MJ's funeral was going on that HE helped Michael write some of his best songs, and that Michael would come out of the bath room with money and a bunch of other BS. I was like RIIIIIIGHT, Michael Jackson needed the help from you in order to write songs, he claimed he gave Mike a Thesaurous or however you spell it or a dictionary or whatever...My mother actually laughed watching Larry King when he said that. And with him making the claim that they were "close friends". My mother said, "If they were such good friends why isn't he at the funeral?" LOL! I laughed. Michael is and was a world class song writer and for his little punk ass to try and take credit for helping in writing some of the songs...I mean really. That's just pathetic and in very bad taste. He and his pops needs to just GO AWAY!

I agree. If some one is on tv saying they were Michaels friend and revealing details about his private affairs or taking credit for something he did, it means they were not his friends. His friends wouldn't do that.

" Deepak Chopra: Michael Jackson Thought He Wasn’t 'Good Enough' "

Michael was a perfectionist, that bit was obvious. How else are you going to be the most successful artist of all time?

Its only after death, do we find out how few real friends Michael actually had!

I saw that and I actually laugh. What, suddenly Michael couldn't use a thesaurus to look at his own songs. Also, didn't Michael said himself that he looks for the beat of a song before he even thinks of the lyrics. If that story was even remotely true, Michael would had put his name on the song for writing credit. Gotham didn't even have the gall to say which song he helped him with. Maybe to keep those no good fact checker away.

Michael's true friends are the ones who stayed at home genuinely grieving, not the ones who couldn't wait and just hours after he passed were running all over the media blabbing what a drug addict he was, spreading further rumors and gossip.

Michael's true friends are the ones who stayed at home genuinely grieving, not the ones who couldn't wait and just hours after he passed were running all over the media blabbing what a drug addict he was, spreading further rumors and gossip.

EXACTLY! And those same people **cough**deepak**cough** Really came out looking like an idiot once the autopsy results were leaked...LOL...now Deepak is back peddling. He and his son and all those other media whores (that's what they are) need to have their mouths sewn shut. And if you noticed, the media after the autopsy results came out pretty much all but stopped with the "MJ was a drug addict" etc. stories. Talk about getting egg in your face. They deserve it those mofos.

LONG LIVE THE KING!

I saw that and I actually laugh. What, suddenly Michael couldn't use a thesaurus to look at his own songs. Also, didn't Michael said himself that he looks for the beat of a song before he even thinks of the lyrics. If that story was even remotely true, Michael would had put his name on the song for writing credit. Gotham didn't even have the gall to say which song he helped him with. Maybe to keep those no good fact checker away.

I feel so badly for Michael, having had "friends" like these. He never knew who he could trust. How COULD he? Gellar set him up with Bashir. After that they were NOT friends. Deepak should never have revealed (his version of) private conversations with Michael to the world. MJJC is PG-13, so I won't say here what I really think of the "rabbi." These appearances on talk shows line their pockets, raise their PR visibility, sell books, and show them to be untrustworthy as friends. . .to anyone.

It's really sad that such a handsome man with all the immense talents and accolades achieved with it still felt that he's not good enough. :(

It's really sad that such a handsome man with all the immense talents and accolades achieved with it still felt that he's not good enough. :(

Although Michael had self-esteem issues which he himself admitted to, I would not take Deepak, Michael was a druggie, Chopra at his word. This guy is obviously trying to recover after his was proven so wrong by the autopsy and the tox. He is like the rabbi is on damage control and only making himself look more like an ass.

Also, why is he spreading Michael's private conversations with him on the news. If I told someone about me insecurities, I would not want it splattered across the headlines when I die. This really shows what a true 'friend' he is. Really, people like this make me sick. :mat:

Although Michael had self-esteem issues which he himself admitted to, I would not take Deepak, Michael was a druggie, Chopra at his word. This guy is obviously trying to recover after his was proven so wrong by the autopsy and the tox. He is like the rabbi is on damage control and only making himself look more like an ass.

Also, why is he spreading Michael's private conversations with him on the news. If I told someone about me insecurities, I would not want it splattered across the headlines when I die. This really shows what a true 'friend' he is. Really, people like this make me sick. :mat:
Ramona, I agree with you.

This is a strange dialogue, as we're all talking about a nonexistent interview with a broken link (unless I missed something). I did a quick google and found his Myspace entry on June 26, so I'll work off that.

I understand what you all are saying. But to tell you the truth, I'll live with Chopra's ramblings about insecurity, and getting the drugs wrong he was on, to hear him rightfully go after the medical enablers, the pedophilia charges, the tabloid dehumanizing "freak" caricatures, that destroyed his life. All of which Chopra does in this article. There may be contradictions elsewhere I don't know about... The public is actually fairly indulgent to drug use by rockstars; the semantics of this are just not that high on my priority list. I can live with his rushed and incorrect judgment on drug use to have such an influential and respected (well not by me) voice putting a stop right out of the gate to the pedophiliac freak talk.

The man is very wealthy, an incredibly prolific and popular author, and immensely famous, so there is no way he did these for money, as many here are saying. He has all the publicity he can handle already. It seems pretty clear to me he wanted to help shape the dialogue early on, and he indeed felt toward MJ as a brother, and wanted to express his rage at the doctors.

I remember an interview with Keith Olbermann on MSNBC; Keith I believe had always been very contemptuous of Michael. Chopra had him visibly stunned and moved. I couldn't believe it. He ended the interview saying, in a really subdued (cowed?) voice, something like "Wow. No one has conveyed to me such compassionate insight as you, of all the people I've interviewed about MJ over the last two days." Or something like that. I believe he was one of several people that were pivotal in causing a paradigm shift about MJ.

I have always disliked the man's work, so it's weird to be sticking up for him.

Last edited:
Bo G., can I ask, why have you always disliked the man's work? PM me, please, if you don't want to talk about it on here.

Bo G., can I ask, why have you always disliked the man's work? PM me, please, if you don't want to talk about it on here.

My life stance, or philosophy, is humanism. He's very vocal in his contempt for us, on the lecture circuit, in books, and so forth. This is, of course, when he isn't speaking self-righteously about tolerance. What many of us call a secular spirituality isn't spiritual enough to suit him. It's such a shame to learn from him that my life, which I'd thought has been quite rich, though with the expected ups and downs, dedicated to family, friends, the outdoors, and environmental causes, has actually been spiritually impoverished, meaningless, shallow, cold and dark. Such a sweet, loving guy.

The only reason I mentioned I disliked his work is to show I'm not coming from a place of being a fan of his. My life stance, or philosophy, is humanism. He's very vocal in his contempt for us, on the lecture circuit, in books, and so forth. This is, of course, when he isn't speaking self-righteously about tolerance. What many of us call a secular spirituality isn't spiritual enough to suit him. It's such a shame to learn from him that my life, which I'd thought has been quite rich, though with the expected ups and downs, dedicated to family, friends, the outdoors, and environmental causes, has actually been spiritually impoverished, meaningless, shallow, cold and dark. Such a sweet, loving guy.

It seems pretty clear to me he wanted to help shape the dialogue early on, and he indeed felt toward MJ as a brother, and wanted to express his rage at the doctors.

I'm glad to read this. I agree Deepak felt brotherly and any transgressions on his part were grief related.

I've read maybe most of Deepak's books and have always enjoyed them very much. I've watched some of his lectures, too. He seems like good peeps. Every thing I've read has been very nice and positive. He takes a modern and expansive view of things, in spite of possible criticism. He follows his own drummer. For example, in ashtanga yoga there is a school of thought, traditional, that proficiency in certain aspects of yoga should be accomplished before moving onto yoga postures known as hatha. Deepak is one of those who said no, it is okay and beneficial to practice hatha, even if it is the only aspect of the ashtanga philosophy you participate in. He consistently is inclusive such ways. His views as such are liberal and expansive.

I actually am really grateful to Deepak also because I did not know very much about Michael before June. It was the interview with Deepak which triggered my desire to learn more about Michael. I respect Deepak so much and saw right away how griefstriken he was over the loss of his friend. I got the impression from Deepak that Michael was a very special person... that is how it arrived to me. Of course, his talks on Michael arrived to each of us in different ways. To a seasoned fan, Deepak's speech may come across one way. But to me, I just thought... Deepak loved this man, Michael Jackson.

Knowing and respecting Deepak led me to research Michael more. I had had Michael's lp's since I was a teen. I considered myself a fan of the variety that I listened to his records and cds. I defended him in conversation during the trial, but did not research it or anything. I just believed in him and his goodness and innocence intuitively. After Deepak's press release on Michael, I wanted to learn more, so I went to Beliefnet. I wanted to avoid gossip. Sadly, Beliefnet was full of gossip. But I did find MJ's "My Childhood, My Sabbath, My Freedom" on the site, and after reading it, I realized how amazing Michael was as a person... how deep thinking and special he was/is.

So, for me, if Deepak had not spoken, I may not have been moved to seek out more about Michael. It was the love in Deepak's eyes and voice, that love I felt he had for MJ, that paved the road to loving Michael in a really connective way for me. So I am super thankful to Deepak....

I
I actually am really grateful to Deepak also because I did not know very much about Michael before June. ...saw right away how griefstriken he was over the loss of his friend. I got the impression from Deepak that Michael was a very special person...
I had had Michael's lp's since I was a teen. I considered myself a fan of the variety that I listened to his records and cds. ...
...So, for me, if Deepak had not spoken, I may not have been moved to seek out more about Michael. It was the love in Deepak's eyes and voice, that love I felt he had for MJ, that paved the road to loving Michael in a really connective way for me...

Weird... I went through the almost identical path you did, Tink. I was initially sparked by all the talk about how massive MJ's talents and influence were, which I admit I'd lost sight of... but Deepak added a new angle; here was someone speaking about his love for the man himself... there'd been precious little of that on the tubez if you think back.

Weird... I went through the almost identical path you did, Tink. I was initially sparked by all the talk about how massive MJ's talents and influence were, which I admit I'd lost sight of... but Deepak added a new angle; here was someone speaking about his love for the man himself... there'd been precious little of that on the tubez if you think back.

Even if Deepak did some cool things, I still cannot really forgive him what he did after Michael died. Instead of running his mouth to ever news organization that would talk to him, he should had stood quiet and waited for the tox report.

He said himself that he had lost contact with Michael in 2003, so how would he know if he was doctoring shopping or even a junkie. In fact, he admitted that he never saw Michael take drugs, but he just assume he had a drug problem because he asked for Demerol for his back pains. He actually said that he thought Michael was lying about his pain and just wanted to self-medicate and even gave the feeling that Michael's back problems were either fake or caused by withdrawal during the 2005 trial.

Deepak also gave the impression that Michael was depress and sad during his last days and continue to medicate to ease his suffering. Which sounds good, but this guy admitted that he had not really spoken to Michael in 6 years, so how does he know his mentality? Was he going by what the new papers said and just guess the rest.

Now, he is telling the media about private conversations he had with Michael, which is my book is a step above what the Rabbi did. You do not go on the news to talk about your friend's problems, even if your intentions are good. It is bad taste and is a betrayal of trust in my book.

He was not even invited to Michael's funeral, but we had the Cloak and Dagger Club there like Oxman, Rowe, and several others I cannot name at the moment. For goodness sake, Randy from AEG was invited over him. This tells me he was not a very close friend to Michael to get invited and he was not in the family circle to get invited either. Which his son admitted to.

I can understand why you feel positively about Deepak, but because of the stuff he pulled, I cannot think anything that good of him for a very long time. I do not care how good his books are.

Deepak also gave the impression that Michael was depress and sad during his last days and continue to medicate to ease his suffering. Which sounds good, but this guy admitted that he had not really spoken to Michael in 6 years.

Ramona, what you're saying is the opposite of what it's in the essay by him I posted in my link, so I'm confused. The initial link isn't working to this thread, if that's what you're referring to.

In his June 26 Facebook page Deepak wrote:

Two days previously [before his death] he had called me in an upbeat, excited mood. The voice message said, “I’ve got some really good news to share with you.” He was writing a song about the environment, and he wanted me to help informally with the lyrics, as we had done several times before.... So I never got to talk to him, and the music demo he sent me lies on my bedside table as a poignant symbol of an unfinished life.

...That person, whom I considered (at the risk of ridicule) very pure, still survived — he was reading the poems of Rabindranath Tagore when we talked the last time, two weeks ago.

Tink and Bo G., I hear you both. I've been a MJ fan since 1979, and I've followed Deepak's career (not so much his teachings) since the 80s. I have definite reservations about Deepak's philosophy but I get where he comes from completely. I was born in India and I know what he is trying to accomplish here in America as a sort of new age "guru". I respect his desire to bring another way of life to the western world and, I think, so did Michael.

that said, I doubt that his general behavior in the media ever since his friend's death has helped his friend's image. I know people who have an even deeper-engraved image of Michael as an "addict" after having listened to Deepak Chopra. I believe he should have rethought his schtick before using that word. he did NOT help Michael by this behavior, and I am not even sure it's going to go anywhere in terms of getting those enablers he so wants to expose.

by the way, Ramona -- Deepak and Michael were indeed friends till Michael's death, not just until 2003.

anyway, that's all I want to say for now.

Last edited:
Ramona, what you're saying is the opposite of what it's in the essay by him I posted in my link, so I'm confused. The initial link isn't working to this thread, if that's what you're referring to.

In his June 26 Facebook page Deepak wrote:

I am not going by his blog, I am going by what he actually said on Larry King and other talk shows. He did not actually say he was depress, but he gave the strong feeling that was what he was going for. Especially when he began to talk about self-medication and easing pain.

Which is odd that he says he was a druggie and self-medication, but also he was upbeat and happy. How do those two go together? If he was such a hardcore drug addict, how could he possibly sound happy, upbeat, and sober if he OD himself later a couple of days later.

His logic make no sense.

As for those enables, that theory died when the tox came out. He thought doctors and Michael's staff was feeding him pills like Elvis. Which is why he dropped that doctors line and stopped trying to make Michael a poster boy for drug addiction. Which is why he should not had said anything in the first place, because you look like a dumbass when you are proven wrong. Just look at Oxman, the Rabbi, Uri, and others who are now crawling under a rock somewhere or sinking themselves deeper in their own crap.

Last edited:

That's interesting we had a similar path which involved Deepak. :) I agree what you say about Deepak being one of the first to speak this way. Deepak did not shrink from being associated with Michael at a time when the media was not as favorable as it is now. Some people were waiting to see which side the media coin would land on before saying a word.

As an aside, Ramona, I agree Deepak should have kept Michael's confidence. I am totally with you there. But I think it was grief which led him to make bad choices. I don't blame you for being angry with Deepak. I understand. I also think out of love for Michael we want everyone to treat him with SUPREME love. Michael deserves supreme love. Deepak loved Michael, I believe, but you know was just making some human mistakes in judgement, imo. But I understand your feelings, too.

can someone give us another link to the video in the first post? that link is broken and I can't find this particular video you guys are talking about. I'd like to see his "change of tune", so to speak. thanks!

Tink and Bo G., I hear you both. I've been a MJ fan since 1979, and I've followed Deepak's career (not so much his teachings) since the 80s. I have definite reservations about Deepak's philosophy but I get where he comes from completely. I was born in India and I know what he is trying to accomplish here in America as a sort of new age "guru". I respect his desire to bring another way of life to the western world and, I think, so did Michael.

that said, I doubt that his general behavior in the media ever since his friend's death has helped his friend's image. I know people who have an even deeper-engraved image of Michael as an "addict" after having listened to Deepak Chopra. I believe he should have rethought his schtick before using that word. he did NOT help Michael by this behavior, and I am not even sure it's going to go anywhere in terms of getting those enablers he so wants to expose.

I understand what you mean. I think you're right Michael repected Deepak's contributions to the west. I'd suspect there were these common interests which drew them together to be friends and things. I saw such a cute picture of the two of them together, smiling, and with hats on. :)

I hope maybe Deepak will learn from this and grow. He might have made better choices, but grief just can truly affect judgement for sure.

writen June 26th by Deepak...

2009-06-29-picmjdeepak.jpg

A Tribute to My Friend, Michael Jackson

Michael Jackson will be remembered, most likely, as a shattered icon, a pop genius who wound up a mutant of fame. That's not who I will remember, however. His mixture of mystery, isolation, indulgence, overwhelming global fame, and personal loneliness was intimately known to me. For twenty years I observed every aspect, and as easy as it was to love Michael -- and to want to protect him -- his sudden death yesterday seemed almost fated.

Two days previously he had called me in an upbeat, excited mood. The voice message said, "I've got some really good news to share with you." He was writing a song about the environment, and he wanted me to help informally with the lyrics, as we had done several times before. When I tried to return his call, however, the number was disconnected. (Terminally spooked by his treatment in the press, he changed his phone number often.) So I never got to talk to him, and the music demo he sent me lies on my bedside table as a poignant symbol of an unfinished life.

When we first met, around 1988, I was struck by the combination of charisma and woundedness that surrounded Michael. He would be swarmed by crowds at an airport, perform an exhausting show for three hours, and then sit backstage afterward, as we did one night in Bucharest, drinking bottled water, glancing over some Sufi poetry as I walked into the room, and wanting to meditate.

That person, whom I considered (at the risk of ridicule) very pure, still survived -- he was reading the poems of Rabindranath Tagore when we talked the last time, two weeks ago. Michael exemplified the paradox of many famous performers, being essentially shy, an introvert who would come to my house and spend most of the evening sitting by himself in a corner with his small children. I never saw less than a loving father when they were together (and wonder now, as anyone close to him would, what will happen to them in the aftermath).

Michael's reluctance to grow up was another part of the paradox. My children adored him, and in return he responded in a childlike way. He declared often, as former child stars do, that he was robbed of his childhood. Considering the monstrously exaggerated value our society places on celebrity, which was showered on Michael without stint, the public was callous to his very real personal pain. It became another tawdry piece of the tabloid *****, pictured as a weird changeling and as something far more sinister.

It's not my place to comment on the troubles Michael fell heir to from the past and then amplified by his misguided choices in life. He was surrounded by enablers, including a shameful plethora of M.D.s in Los Angeles and elsewhere who supplied him with prescription drugs. As many times as he would candidly confess that he had a problem, the conversation always ended with a deflection and denial. As I write this paragraph, the reports of drug abuse are spreading across the cable news channels. The instant I heard of his death this afternoon, I had a sinking feeling that prescription drugs would play a key part.

The closest we ever became, perhaps, was when Michael needed a book to sell primarily as a concert souvenir. It would contain pictures for his fans but there would also be a text consisting of short fables. I sat with him for hours while he dreamily wove Aesop-like tales about animals, mixed with words about music and his love of all things musical. This project became Dancing the Dream after I pulled the text together for him, acting strictly as a friend. It was this time together that convinced me of the modus vivendi Michael had devised for himself: to counter the tidal wave of stress that accompanies mega-stardom, he built a private retreat in a fantasy world where pink clouds veiled inner anguish and Peter Pan was a hero, not a pathology.

This compromise with reality gradually became unsustainable. He went to strange lengths to preserve it. Unbounded privilege became another toxic force in his undoing. What began as idiosyncrasy, shyness, and vulnerability was ravaged by obsessions over health, paranoia over security, and an isolation that grew more and more unhealthy. When Michael passed me the music for that last song, the one sitting by my bedside waiting for the right words, the procedure for getting the CD to me rivaled a CIA covert operation in its secrecy.

My memory of Michael Jackson will be as complex and confused as anyone's. His closest friends will close ranks and try to do everything in their power to insure that the good lives after him. Will we be successful in rescuing him after so many years of media distortion? No one can say. I only wanted to put some details on the record in his behalf. My son Gotham traveled with Michael as a roadie on his "Dangerous" tour when he was seventeen. Will it matter that Michael behaved with discipline and impeccable manners around my son? (It sends a shiver to recall something he told Gotham: "I don't want to go out like Marlon Brando. I want to go out like Elvis." Both icons were obsessions of this icon.)

His children's nanny and surrogate mother, Grace Rwaramba , is like another daughter to me. I introduced her to Michael when she was eighteen, a beautiful, heartwarming girl from Rwanda who is now grown up. She kept an eye on him for me and would call me whenever he was down or running too close to the edge. How heartbreaking for Grace that no one's protective instincts and genuine love could avert this tragic day. An hour ago she was sobbing on the telephone from London. As a result, I couldn't help but write this brief remembrance in sadness. But when the shock subsides and a thousand public voices recount Michael's brilliant, joyous, embattled, enigmatic, bizarre trajectory, I hope the word "joyous" is the one that will rise from the ashes and shine as he once did.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/deepak-chopra/a-tribute-to-my-friend-mi_b_221268.html

That's interesting we had a similar path which involved Deepak. :) I agree what you say about Deepak being one of the first to speak this way. Deepak did not shrink from being associated with Michael at a time when the media was not as favorable as it is now. Some people were waiting to see which side the media coin would land on before saying a word.

As an aside, Ramona, I agree Deepak should have kept Michael's confidence. I am totally with you there. But I think it was grief which led him to make bad choices. I don't blame you for being angry with Deepak. I understand. I also think out of love for Michael we want everyone to treat him with SUPREME love. Michael deserves supreme love. Deepak loved Michael, I believe, but you know was just making some human mistakes in judgement, imo. But I understand your feelings, too.

I keep hearing this and it also used to excuse Karen's action. I would like to know how does grief equal to going on the media and talking about your friends problems? How does that equal to not even waiting a day after his passing to talk about drugs and doctor shopping? How does that equal to telling the world about how Michael was like Elvis when you admit you have not really spoken to him in awhile.

Deepak said he not really had a conversation with Michael since 2003. Which means, he did not sit down with Michael and had a heart to heart in 6 years. Picking up the phone and talking now and then does not count.

I am not saying that he did not love Michael in someway, but grief cannot be an excuse for some of the stuff he pulled. I fail to see how you can be in the miss of sadness and despair over someone's passing and then go in front of the camera not even a day later to talk about them and their suppose problems and Deepak is still doing it. Michael died over 4 months ago, so why is he still talking about Michael's issues. The grief excuse really does not work here.

Michael is not a life lesson book, he was a person who had issues and demons like any living human. Why does he life have to be the poster child for anything? He was a human and he had flaws, what more is there left to say.

Also, this is the kind of crap I am talking about.

"This compromise with reality gradually became unsustainable. He went to strange lengths to preserve it. Unbounded privilege became another toxic force in his undoing. What began as idiosyncrasy, shyness, and vulnerability was ravaged by obsessions over health, paranoia over security, and an isolation that grew more and more unhealthy. When Michael passed me the music for that last song, the one sitting by my bedside waiting for the right words, the procedure for getting the CD to me rivaled a CIA covert operation in its secrecy."

I am getting sick of everyone talking about his was always isolated. This simply was not true and it seems people want to make him this tragic figure who self-destructive like Elvis. This is why you should shut up before you know the facts. Otherwise, you get BS like this.

Back