Cirque du Soleil 'Michael Jackson ONE' permanent Las Vegas show

qbee;3829193 said:
Michael Jackson One’ is Cirque du Soleil’s best — and includes snow at Mandalay Bay

<!-- END .story-header -->
MMMMM%20TD%2084%20of%2088_t653.jpg

Tom Donoghue/DonoghuePhotography.com
A sneak peek of Cirque du Soleil’s “Michael Jackson One” at Mandalay Bay on Tuesday, May 7, 2013.

MMM%20TD%2013%20of%2018_t653.jpg

Tom Donoghue/DonoghuePhotography.com - A sneak peek of Cirque du Soleil's "Michael Jackson One" at Mandalay Bay on Tuesday, May 7, 2013.

MMM%20TD%2014%20of%2018_t653.jpg

Tom Donoghue/DonoghuePhotography.com - A sneak peek of Cirque du Soleil's "Michael Jackson One" at Mandalay Bay on Tuesday, May 7, 2013.

MMMMM%20TD%2063%20of%2088_t653.jpg

Die-hard Michael Jackson fans flew in from as far away as Thailand and Japan to attend Thursday night’s first preview performance of Cirque du Soleil’s new “Michael Jackson One” at Mandalay Bay. Tickets, hotel and airfare cost a small fortune, but like me — and I purchased my tickets — they agreed that it was worth every penny, and then some.

The routine using rare, lengthy footage of Michael dancing as a hologram for the Cirque troupe is modern technology at its most brilliant. It’s emotional because it’s so magically real. Michael has become the star of the show he would’ve been thrilled to have watched or taken part. So much so that Michael’s image and creative genius were still alive last night.

“Michael Jackson One” is a fabulous and incredible spectacular from start to finish. This was a preview; imagine how Cirque and writer-director Jamie King can make it even bigger or better for the June 29 premiere. We posted a preview of the show Thursday with links to my interviews with “One’s” creative team leading up to last night’s performance.

“One” is such a riveting and immersive experience, you’ll want to return time and again to catch what you miss. The nonstop action is throughout the theater, up in the ceiling and in the aisles alongside the audience, as well as on the stage and sidewalls.

The dancing is beyond superb. The multi-colored costumes and illuminated wardrobe creations are beyond dazzling. The music compilation of Michael’s No. 1 hits is a seamless audio montage beyond anything experienced before. The video imagery is beyond perfection. Without a shadow of doubt, this is Cirque’s best spectacular in its nearly 30-year history. The pyrotechnics and fireworks onstage add to the explosive show.
The Canadian circus arts company has set itself a new bar of entertainment with a capital E, and now executives and producers will have to revitalize its seven other shows on the Strip to bring them to the astounding levels achieved with “One.” No wonder Cirque founder Guy Laliberte was “bouncing off the walls with joy” last night. “He was the most excited and animated I’ve ever seen him,” one of his partners told me at the private celebration party post-show.

Guy was there only a short time with his President Daniel Lamarre before jetting to the Cannes Film Festival for a One Drop charity event and flying back for the opening of Light Nightclub at Mandalay Bay this weekend, Cirque’s first foray into nightlife. Jamie was cheered and applauded at the party but had to jump a jet to New York, so his was a quick visit, too.

Michael’s estate lawyer John Branca told me: “We are so proud of this show. It could not really be any better, and yet this was our first preview. We’ll still tweak it, tinker with it, but to see and feel the joy, excitement and overwhelming approval from an audience that arrived from all over the world was fantastic. You thought Michael was alive again tonight onstage; I am convinced he was here in some way to watch this extraordinary night. It is beyond a success. It is the very best that could have been done.”

Sneak Peek of 'Michael Jackson One'

0507MJone17_t653.JPG

Steve Marcus - Dancers and acrobats perform during a sneak preview of the "Michael Jackson One" show at the Mandalay Bay Tuesday, May 7, 2013. The new show, by Cirque du Soleil and the Estate of Michael Jackson, is scheduled to hold a media premiere June 29.

0507MJone11_t653.JPG

Steve Marcus - "Ngame," (Valerie Kimani) sings during a sneak preview of the "Michael Jackson One" show at the Mandalay Bay Tuesday, May 7, 2013. The new show, by Cirque du Soleil and the Estate of Michael Jackson, is scheduled to hold a media premiere June 29.

0507MJone19_t653.JPG

Steve Marcus - A performer poses during a sneak preview of the "Michael Jackson One" show at the Mandalay Bay Tuesday, May 7, 2013. The new show, by Cirque du Soleil and the Estate of Michael Jackson, is scheduled to hold a media premiere June 29.

The audience’s unfettered, loud and enthusiastic cheering during the show and at the finale took the roof off the theater. The most memorable moments? There are too many to mention, and I don’t want to spoil your experience. So, brief descriptions of my favorites:

* Contortionist Charles “Lil Buck” Riley almost steals the show with his remarkable body movements. I thought the contortionist at Cirque’s “Zumanity” was remarkable, but this young man in “One” amps it up to sheer wonder and disbelief. If you were blown away the first time you saw Michael moonwalking, wait until you see what this guy achieves balanced on one toe. Exceptional.

* The Michael Jackson hologram dance with the cast might well be one of the best theatrical illusions ever created, and Carlos Santana might just have a rival under the same hotel roof with the golden goddess on her guitar.

*For the opening “Beat It,” the four sky-high acrobats on a bungee swing take your breath away as white sequined dancers swing in and out of the scaffolding-like set. The electric, one-wheeled gliders will have everybody calling the Neiman Marcus Christmas catalog for that treasure.

* Cirque and Jamie’s interpretation of “How Does It Feel” from “Stranger in Moscow” with snowflakes falling in the entire theater is pure joy, reminding of the wonder of the first Christmas with Santa.

* The urban-street breakdances performed on a tiny strip of tape for “Bad” are an eye-popping wonder.
* The Korean acrobatic troupe seem to have miracle powers floating and flying through the air in a steady stream of somersaults that Michael Jordan wished he’d had in his winning NBA days.

* I was moved by the message of hope poignantly written by Michael himself for “They Don’t Care About Us,” with scenes of global violence, the battle against AIDS and the fight with Martin Luther King Jr. for the end of discrimination.

* I loved old video of Michael as Charlie Chaplin for the song “Smile” that led into a mesmerizing tall black female dancer in blue, then partnered with others in luminescent yellow-and-pink outfits and the blow-your-socks off ‘Dangerous” that followed with more dancers flying in from all over the theater as pyrotechnics and fireworks exploded.

* The “Billie Jean” sequence with the dancers in lighted-up, multicolored suits was so vibrant, I almost missed the acrobats walking up the walls.

* For “Thriller,” the trampoline artists were synchronized better than Olympic swimmers, even performing upside down and falling out of the ceiling. Beware the zombie monsters that ran amok through the theater because one could creep up from behind to scare.

* Shooting stars set up the opening of the Neverland gates and into its magical gardens with an aerial ballet for “I Cant Stop Loving You.” The “Man in the Mirror” hologram dance with Michael could easily have been the show-closer, but Cirque and Jamie still weren’t done with the amazement.

* “Can You Feel It” was the appropriate way to bring this theatrical stunner to a close as flags of different countries were marched over the Neverland bridge.

Michael was alive again last night, his genius and musical creativity rekindled to perfection. “One” is a show that will reign as No. 1 on the Strip for many years to come. There is one word to sum up “Michael Jackson One”: triumphant.

Robin Leach has been a journalist for more than 50 years and has spent the past decade giving readers the inside scoop on Las Vegas, the world’s premier platinum playground.

Follow Robin Leach on Twitter at Twitter.com/Robin_Leach.
Follow Vegas DeLuxe on Twitter at Twitter.com/vegasdeluxe.
Follow VDLX Editor Don Chareunsy on Twitter at Twitter.com/VDLXEditorDon.

Read more: http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/201...cirque-du-soleil-best-and-incl/#ixzz2UG2ac0F9

This preview makes me so excited!

The dancing is beyond superb. The multi-colored costumes and illuminated wardrobe creations are beyond dazzling. The music compilation of Michael’s No. 1 hits is a seamless audio montage beyond anything experienced before. The video imagery is beyond perfection. Without a shadow of doubt, this is Cirque’s best spectacular in its nearly 30-year history. The pyrotechnics and fireworks onstage add to the explosive show.
The Canadian circus arts company has set itself a new bar of entertainment with a capital E, and now executives and producers will have to revitalize its seven other shows on the Strip to bring them to the astounding levels achieved with “One.” No wonder Cirque founder Guy Laliberte was “bouncing off the walls with joy” last night. “He was the most excited and animated I’ve ever seen him,” one of his partners told me at the private celebration party post-show

Michael’s estate lawyer John Branca told me: “We are so proud of this show. It could not really be any better, and yet this was our first preview. We’ll still tweak it, tinker with it, but to see and feel the joy, excitement and overwhelming approval from an audience that arrived from all over the world was fantastic. You thought Michael was alive again tonight onstage; I am convinced he was here in some way to watch this extraordinary night. It is beyond a success. It is the very best that could have been done.”

Even though I can't visit the show for now, I want it to impress not only MJ fans but also Cirque fans and non-fans who just spend their time in Vegas and choose to watch the show! Based on this preview it looks like THE show with the potential to do that! I'm glad to read it. I know Immortal was well loved by MJ fans, but criticized by regular Cirque fans for its limited amount of trademark Cirque acrobatics, but it seems like this show will please everyone.

(And I have to make this sidenote: I hope it will be mega successful and it will eat up Wade with envy inside.)

Re: Cirque du Soleil "Michael Jackson ONE" permanent Las Vega show

Is the hologram the thing in the gold pants? on the left of that video?

e43b1734c41411e2aaa222000a1fb843_7.jpg

RANDOM PICS - THE OPUS AND MICHAEL BUSH ARE IN THE GIFT SHOP

e43b1734c41411e2aaa222000a1fb843_7.jpg

RANDOM PICS - THE OPUS AND MICHAEL BUSH ARE IN THE GIFT SHOP

I hope Man in the Music by Joe Vogel and Moonwalker can be found from there too, as they are being advertised on MJ's official website.

Video looks really mpressive. Don't understand why this isn't getting more attention from fans. It was the same with Immortal...

Video looks really mpressive. Don't understand why this isn't getting more attention from fans. It was the same with Immortal...

Immortal is very successful, so I don't think it didn't get attention from fans. I think it's just it's hard to keep talking about it on message boards. It's the type of thing where you have to go and watch it, not talk about it . And fans do go and watch it all over the world, as the success proves.

With ONE it's also the case that for many fans around the world it's just out of touch for financial reasons and the distance.
I can't go either but I enjoy the previews.

It's also that fans are, unfortunately, being distracted by other things such as AEG trial, Wade Robson etc. I wish sometimes we could be just like other "normal" fan bases of other artists, where the only concern and focus has to be on the art itself and not legal issues and not having to become mini-experts in court cases. Unfortunately Michael had a harder life and was/is attacked more than most artists and so we have have to deal with other issues as well than the fun part. I wish it would be otherwise.

Last edited:

Immortal is very successful, so I don't think it didn't get attention from fans. I think it's just it's hard to keep talking about it on message boards. It's the type of thing where you have to go and watch it, not talk about it . And fans do go and watch it all over the world, as the success proves.

With ONE it's also the case that for many fans around the world it's just out of touch for financial reasons and the distance.
I can't go either but I enjoy the previews.

It's also that fans are, unfortunately, being distracted by other things such as AEG trial, Wade Robson etc. I wish sometimes we could be just like other "normal" fan bases of other artists, where the only concern and focus has to be on the art itself and not legal issues and not having to become mini-experts in court cases. Unfortunately Michael had a harder life and was/is attacked more than most artists and so we have have to deal with other issues as well than the fun part. I wish it would be otherwise.

true. I'm trying to avoid the WB And AEG trial because there is going to be no good outcome of either. With ONE, at least we know Michaels life is being celebrated in a way he would have loved!

Me too.... :cry:

Ash don't say that because I am working on something for you. Try to get a visa & let me know.

Guys you have to see that show. I went on Thursday night and today is Saturday & I am still glowing. I am not going to spoil it for anyone who has not seen it yet. The Michael on stage dancing with the cast is phenomenal!!! Then some fan shouted out "I Love You Michael, which cased everyone to cheer and go wild. I felt the sound in my seat, so some of you girls might get a "sexy" feeling. Someone already talked about the way they decorated the doors & walls--everything makes you know this is All About Michael.

I had a blast in the gift shop. Of course the books & music I already had. Michael's biography is there and also Bush's book. If they had some replica's of Michaels fabric jackets I would have gone out of my mind, but they only had the Bad leather jackets, which I passed. The T- shirts and tops, hats, scarfs are great and I got some of those. There is also some bags and one like the front of a jacket which I got. There was also a watch with an MJ logo on it, which of course I got.

That whole experience is something all fans should try and have, so Go, Go, Go!!! This is a permanent show & you have years to plan & save!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another thing, if you look at videos of the hologram/illusion, you do not get a true sense of the awesomeness of it all. It is when you see this thing appear in reality that it takes your breath away. You actually feel this is Michael stepping in to do this for us, so don't let comments like "it is not really dancing liking Michael in this part" put a dampen on the beautifulness of it all!!!

I was searching for reviews and ended up in some poker forum. Someone made a topic on MJ-One and it looks like even non-fans (I'm assuming the poster isn't) were blown away.

This was what he posted...

MUPokerPlayer
user-online.png
United States

23 Hours Ago (5/24/2013 5:22am)

Me and the wife just got out of this show at Mandalay Bay. We had seventh row tickets center stage. It was opening night.

Seriously. The. Coolest. Thing. I. Have. Ever. Seen. Swear to God.

Everybody needs to see this. I still have chills.

End brag.

(in before calling me gay)​

http://www.pocketfives.com/f13/michael-jackson-one-cirque-du-soliel-680192/

Hologram moment is magical

I hope Man in the Music by Joe Vogel and Moonwalker can be found from there too, as they are being advertised on MJ's official website.
Yes they are there

Wasn`there also a Neverland Museum in plan? But maybe they have other plans now for the place of a museum

Did anyone hear if any Jacksons or Michael's children were there. I did not see any, but then I am not a good judge of who was there, because Branca was seats behind me and I did not know.

By the way, after the show I played on the Michael slot machine, and the music really makes you want to gamble more. The constant beat of DD behind my head, made me sit there playing even though I wanted to use the bathroom really, really bad.!!! Word of advice: You win easily, so take your little change & run.

Im definitely saving up for this to be there in the summer of 2014. Hope some fans will join as ill be going to the show on my own:girl_sigh: no one is interested in my environment. The items they sell in the shop arent the ones they sell on the Cirque website, are they? It'd be great if other fans who have seen the show let us know, maybe sell it?:D

I am now actively looking at heading to Vegas this summer. It is going to cost me an arm and a leg but I feel I need to do it for my soul.

First step, getting a US visa.

Will keep you guys posted.

• Zoe Alexis HillTruly amazing, breath taking, awe inspiring. I had goosebumps all the way through!

<abbr title="Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 11:37pm" data-utime="1369377458" class="timestamp" style="border-bottom-style: none;">on Thursday</abbr>
  • 573638_1305930931_1127416345_q.jpg

Walt ChambersSaw the show tonight and it was Fantastic!!! Very touching, heart warming at times. A must see if you get the chance.

1 · <abbr title="Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 11:22pm" data-utime="1369376550" class="timestamp" style="border-bottom-style: none;">on Thursday</abbr>
  • 27435_604409921_1621951655_q.jpg

Angi Weiss-BrandtThis show is awesome! Don't miss it when you are in Vegas. Seriously!!!

71 · <abbr title="Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 9:09pm" data-utime="1369368595" class="timestamp" style="border-bottom-style: none;">on Thursday</abbr>

• 203045_716137814_187970560_q.jpg

Jimmy RyanOk, I have seen a lot of shows having been in this business for so long and let me also state that I didn't grow up a big Michael fan, however... That was the best show I have EVER seen. If you are a Michael fan this is a MUST see and if you aren't you will become one! Simply amazing! That show is here to stay! I will personally bet you right now that this will become the longest running show in Las Vegas. It is a timeless piece of art! Thank you for giving Las Vegas something so wonderful...

64 · <abbr title="Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 2:57pm" data-utime="1369346234" class="timestamp" style="border-bottom-style: none;">on Thursday</abbr>

• 48745_1473834607_90549453_q.jpg

Kristi O'NealJust saw the show tonight. A M A Z I N G!!!!

<abbr title="Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 12:16am" data-utime="1369293392" class="timestamp" style="border-bottom-style: none;">on Thursday</abbr>

https://www.facebook.com/MJONE

I am now actively looking at heading to Vegas this summer. It is going to cost me an arm and a leg but I feel I need to do it for my soul.

First step, getting a US visa.

Will keep you guys posted.

I'm thinking of doing the same next year. Only started a new job a few months back so need to save for a while. Hope it works out for you though, may be getting on to you for advice sometime!

I loved old video of Michael as Charlie Chaplin for the song “Smile” that led into a mesmerizing tall black female dancer in blue,
OMG I want to see it so badly.

Was the hologram Michael's face on the body of a double or what? Some people are saying it was an impersonator, as in the face as well.

^ Richard Lecoq who has seen the show said it's NOT Michael Jackson. Here we go again. If it's an impersonator, it would be a shame. Using hologram pretending it to be MJ when it's not. Reminds me of something.

^ Richard Lecoq who has seen the show said it's NOT Michael Jackson. Here we go again. If it's an impersonator, it would be a shame. Using hologram pretending it to be MJ when it's not. Reminds me of something.

If this is the case, I would have 2 words : no comment ...

It is impossible for me to watch / to stand a MJ impersonator.

Back