Australian Idol -- Michael Jackson Night

I saw that full add too. They also flashed some of his #1 song names. The ad I saw early was shorter and a little different...Andrew and James talked more I think....maybe my memory is screwed.

What's wrong with J.acko? Just Aussie slang, nothing offensive :) (Australia have been starting to call model Jennifer Hawkins, "Hawko" and that's all with good intentions)

I wouldn't have a problem with it if Michael didn't specifically say he doesn't like to be called that name. But I understand. It's not always with bad intentions. Australians often shorten someone's name to the first syllable of their first or last name plus o. Heaps of people call me Robbo.

I wouldn't have a problem with it if Michael didn't specifically say he doesn't like to be called that name. But I understand. It's not always with bad intentions. Australians often shorten someone's name to the first syllable of their first or last name plus o. Heaps of people call me Robbo.

maybe heaps of people dislike you :p

just joking, lol.

:cheeky:

Your Final Five’s Michael Jackson Song Choices Revealed!
Thursday, 30 October 2008

We’re getting our one white glove and moonwalk skills ready for Sunday...

Now we can reveal what your Final Five will be singing on the night…

Chrislyn Hamilton: “Thriller”. “I chose “Thriller” because it’ll show another side of Chrislyn that you haven’t seen yet. On the night I’m gonna break it down in my own special way. I’m really happy with my song choice and I hope you are too.”

Teale Jakubenko: “Billie Jean”. “I initially chose ‘Billy Jean’ because I know it’s one of his most popular songs - it was Number One all over the world. Plus I found a really cool version of it, which is very exciting.”

Luke Dickens: “The Way You Make Me Feel”. “I chose ‘The Way You Make Me Feel’ because I knew I couldn’t sing much of Michael Jackson’s stuff these days, so I was searching something I could tone down a little or blues up a bit, rather than synthesizer pop music. So hopefully no one minds that I’ve had a go at changing the feel of a great song. I just thought it was better to do that than have a crack at something I’d sound silly at in the first place.”

Wes Carr: “Black or White”. “It’s pretty tricky to chose a Michael Jackson song to sing because a lot of the songs are written definitely to capture Michael’s dancing capabilities, so I thought ‘Black or White’ was one of the songs you can sing, as opposed to dance to.”

Mark Spano: “Bad”. “I chose ‘Bad’ because a lot of the songs I would have originally chosen were taken. I thought, ‘What Michael Jackson song represents me best?’ and with the first line being, ‘Your butt is mine’, it clicked. It’s a hard song to learn, lyrically, even though the melody is quite straightforward. I’m ready now, so let’s just do it!”

The Final Five will also be performing their very first group number in the competition, “Don’t Stop Till You Get Enough”. Yes siree, Sunday night is set to be a cracker – don’t miss a minute!

---------------------------------------------------------------

I think Wes will absolutely tear it up. He picked a great song for him and if he throws in some of those moves he showcase on Monday night I think he'll outshine the others on Sunday night. Luke has also picked a good song because TWYMMF is very adaptable. Luke has a very rough, gritty voice and he can easily blues up the song to suit his voice. Mark's choice is surprising but I can see him doing a great job of it. I think Billie Jean is so out of Teale's league. But he said he's found a version of the song on the net that he wants to do so that'll be good because it'll be a disaster if he tries to do it exactly like MJ because no one can do it exactly like MJ. I'm not feeling Chrislyn's choice either. Thriller's a very hard song to sing but she has an amazing voice so maybe she can carry it off. Just please spare me the Thriller dance routine.

Last edited:
OMG - I am so vibed up!!!!!! :wild::dancin::clapping::clap::woohoo:

Bring on Sunday night!!!! :)

Yayyyyyy they choose the BEST Michael Jackson songs!!! Can't waitttttttttttttttt for sunday!

I'm scared for anyone not named Michael Joseph Jackson who tries to sing "Thriller"... or any MJJ songs for that matter, lol.

Exiting!

Looking forward to get the videos on youtube late saturday, so I can see them.

I think thiller will be even more scarier!
Wonder if he will do the dance 2 it? :)

I think thiller will be even more scarier!
Wonder if he will do the dance 2 it? :)

I doubt she'll do the dance. No offence to her but can you imagine this doing the Thriller dance routine....

Again, no offence intended. But you've got to keep it real. She definitely wont be doing the Thriller dance but god held her if she does, lol. But to her credit, with a voice like that I definitely think she can pull off the tricky Thriller vocals.

wow didnt think she would chose that song, but hope she does good

I doubt she'll do the dance. No offence to her but can you imagine this doing the Thriller dance routine....

Again, no offence intended. But you've got to keep it real. She definitely wont be doing the Thriller dance but god held her if she does, lol.
:lol: !!

Teale Jakubenko: “Billie Jean”. “I initially chose ‘Billy Jean’ because I know it’s one of his most popular songs - it was Number One all over the world. Plus I found a really cool version of it, which is very exciting.”

OH NO. He's going to do that God-awful Chris Cornell version.,
Pretty sure that cover is an insult to Michael and Quincy Jones.
Why isn't anyone doing Stranger In Moscow? That would get my vote =]

Oh, and BTW- Madonna is just as good as Michael.

OH NO. He's going to do that God-awful Chris Cornell version.,
I don't know about that. He doesn't seem like the type that would go for the full rocked-out version. Maybe he found a different version. I can't see him going for the dull, dark, boring Cornell version.

Pretty sure that cover is an insult to Michael and Quincy Jones.
Damn straight. Cornell totally misinterpreted the music. He made the best song in the world into a boring piece-o-crap.

Why isn't anyone doing Stranger In Moscow? That would get my vote =]
That would be good. But it wasn't a hit here in Australia. I doubt anyone who isn't a big MJ fan would recognise it.

Oh, and BTW- Madonna is just as good as Michael.
If she's so good then where is her Australian Idol theme night? lol. You know you haven't made it in this business until Australian Idol does a theme night dedicated to you.

On the Australian Idol home page it says "What will Jermaine Jackson think of the final five's song choices?"

I wonder what that means. Will he be making an appearance on Sunday? Maybe as a guest judge. Maybe as a mentor. Could be both. I wonder if Jermaine's participating at all in this Australian Idol show. The AI home page sure does hint at it.

hmmm..lol...i don't think it's a good idea for you to go out as much as Jermaine does, where people can ask him a lot of questions, since he's Michael's brother. lol..jus sayin. cus..well...he's been giving a LOT of answers lately.:cheeky:

Yes jermaine is the special guest for idol tonite
Just wish it was michael instead....well considering it is his songs they r doing!!!!!

EEEEK haven't watched austrlian idol in a while...OMG OMG soooooooo watching tonight. thanks for the heads up!

I wonder what Jermaine will be like as a judge? He's such a nice guy. I couldn't imagine him criticising anyone. Even if they were terrible. He'll probably say "you tried you're best and that's what counts" lol.

I wonder what Jermaine will be like as a judge? He's such a nice guy. I couldn't imagine him criticising anyone. Even if they were terrible. He'll probably say "you tried you're best and that's what counts" lol.

Jermaine actually got pretty critical of some people who were performing when he was on that show "Gone Country".

Last edited:
Oh my God - only 35 minutes to go!!!!!!!! I am almost as excited as if it was Michael on TV (actually - that's just because it''s been so long since I've seen Michael perform - I know these guys won't be able to touch him - but it's still uber exciting!!!!!)

Chris Cornell's Billie Jean again. It was ok. Nowt on Cornell or David Cook's renditions though.
Bad was..err...bad.
Thriller was horrendous.
I just cannot enjoy The Way You Make Me Feel sung like that. Seems like its missing the whole point of the song.
Black or White was entertaining. Not such a great vocalist though.

First time I've watched Idol this season so apoligies I missed their names. Jermaine is going to send the show to Michael apparently, and thus tomorrow's headlines will probably read "Michael denies being sent Aus Idol tape".

My fave was wes's performance!!!
The others didnt do good at all

But wes totally ripped "black or white" up!!!
Im so wrapped he did :)

lol the initial tribute to MJ at the beginning was enough to make me crazy. not that i haven't seen those videos on TV before loool but anythig MJ on TV makes me go crazy.

was a bit....BLAH when they slaughtered my fav. song of all time i.e. don't stop til you get enough.

Billie jean, the way you make feel and black or white were the better ones. with black or white the best, as i said, it takes a true MJ fan to do the THANG. you could so tell he was just taking a once in a life time opportunity to perform MJ on national television.

and yeah for it was sort of like, so jermaine's sending the tape to MJ.....but they haven't talked recently right?? haha. it's just a bit ironic haha.

but ANY tribute to Mj on TV is good. Hopefully it's a good platform for the younger ones who have never heard MJ before to get to know MJ better.

Back