American Idol Top 13: Michael Jackson Week!

The Rockin' Robin rendition sounds a lil bit country, IMO. She seemed to try to put her own twist to the original.

The girl who sung Give In To Me needed more energy, in my humble opinion. She's got a good voice, tho.

Last edited:
I heard Alexis who sang "dirty diana" said, "You are back, glad you are back. Was she talking about Michael? or what?

let me just say that if i wasn't a fan of mj's before this show, i swear i'dnever become one from watching

the girl who did give in to me reminded me of lmp

the kid who sang yana apparently could sing to the judged

thegirl w/ the sleeve tattoo decides to sing the MOST immature and goofy mj/j5 song ever

those who sang j5 songs totally copped out cuz those are hella easy

pyt wasn't too damn bad

i loved black or white compared to everything else that was thrown at us

me and shaun couldn'tturn away....it was horrible y'allbut i think that's cuz we know the songs so well. cuz i be thinking them is amazing singing a beatles song or something but beatles fans don' tagree! lol

Adam & Allison were my favorites, but damn they were the exceptions. Most weren't that good. NO ONE can do it like Michael and tonight just proved that to me. He really is a world class singer. He makes it look so easy. He is so talented.

Hope he was watching tonite!

I think he probably did watch it; at least I would think he would want to.
I like that they did his songs because it is positive publicity for him and his music, and I love hearing his music. However, I agree with most people on here that most of them weren't good. I have no clue why anyone would choose to sing Rockin Robin, and it was so goofy. Michael was a cute little kid when he did it, lol. Adam was good (not as good as Michael still, but good), Matt was pretty good until the end with the high notes, Danny was basically good, and Kris did pretty well but the guitar was a little weird with that song. Other than that, it was just bad. I couldn't stand Give in to me by Allison. That is one of my favorites by Michael, and he puts so much feeling and pleading and emotion into it. I didn't get any of that from her; just her trying to be a rocker.

I tried so hard not to compare them to Michael, but you're right. There is no other like Michael. These people are great singers with a lot of talent, but they just sound karaoke compared to him. It's different when we hear them sing a song that he's already perfected, and then they ruin it. It inspired me to go and listen to him, and I kept talking about it through the whole show about how people always talk about what a great dancer he is, while seeming to overlook what an awesome singer he is. He's the best!!!

Looked at a few available videos on youtube, I still stand that our Aussie Idol did better......*yes i'm completely off topic.....=_=*

Human Nature

Black or White

Remember The Time

Were the only ones that I really liked. The others not so much. :(

i miss it last night :( :cry:

it was tuesday i go out with my worker and then my sister and my brother in law and there baby they came over so i miss it :cry:

so can someone please post a video of it please :pray: :) :flowers: please

Congratulations Michael! :woohoo: A whopping 2377% jump in Essentials and 16,000 bids per seconds on 02 concert sales. This's amazing week for Michael Jackson's fans. So whipping out that thriller jacket!
Loving the way Kara said "I hope Michael Jackson is watching this" with Adam Lambert's rendition of BOW. He's kinda cross between Freddie Mercury and Alice Cooper. Hands down the best performance of the nite.
Danny Gokey with PYT is 2nd. Soul marrying breezy jazziness.
Allison and Alexis are a tie vying for 3rd best of the nite. That's my take.
It's very telling I feel, that if you gonna pull off a Michael Jackson song this early in the game, it's a clear barometer who's taking this all the way to the finals. Props to the organizers for a A1 Michael Jackson week!

How did the lovely Adam do? We don't get the show until Thursday night and the results show is after it.

I hope they didn't murder his songs, and why on earth is that awful tatoo'd girl on when the wonderful Ju Not didn't get picked on the wild card.

I think he probably did watch it; at least I would think he would want to.
I like that they did his songs because it is positive publicity for him and his music, and I love hearing his music. However, I agree with most people on here that most of them weren't good. I have no clue why anyone would choose to sing Rockin Robin, and it was so goofy. Michael was a cute little kid when he did it, lol. Adam was good (not as good as Michael still, but good), Matt was pretty good until the end with the high notes, Danny was basically good, and Kris did pretty well but the guitar was a little weird with that song. Other than that, it was just bad. I couldn't stand Give in to me by Allison. That is one of my favorites by Michael, and he puts so much feeling and pleading and emotion into it. I didn't get any of that from her; just her trying to be a rocker.

I tried so hard not to compare them to Michael, but you're right. There is no other like Michael. These people are great singers with a lot of talent, but they just sound karaoke compared to him. It's different when we hear them sing a song that he's already perfected, and then they ruin it. It inspired me to go and listen to him, and I kept talking about it through the whole show about how people always talk about what a great dancer he is, while seeming to overlook what an awesome singer he is. He's the best!!!

no doubt about it..especially your last line. if people wanna discount how great a singer mJ is..they just need look at american idol last night..and any other time it's mj week..and if they are honest with themselves, they will know that MJ is truly the greatest singer in the world. i realized just how great mj is, when i heard luther vandross do man in the mirror...and i know luther was the greatest...but MJ is better.

having said all that...i appreciate AI for having mj week...and even tho adam missed a note or two..he was the best of the night. i did like lil and the dirty diana performance and the give into me performance and the i'll be there performance.

http://mjjr.net/news-i395-6.html

Jackson's Albums Soar High After American Idol Special!

20090311Essential.jpg

As predicted, Michael Jackson's albums have quickly soared in sales following the two-hour special Michael Jackson themed American Idol on Tuesday. The sales figures are expected to climb even higher during the next 24-48 hours as more details trickle in. On Amazon, a variety of Michael Jackson's albums have already jumped to the top movers and shakers list. Less than five hours after the broadcast, "The Essential Michael Jackson" has increased its sales by 2,377% and went from rank 8,001 to 323 of all music sold on Amazon. "Thriller 25" has seen an increase of 411% (ranked 171), "Number Ones" increased by 384%, and "Off the Wall" by 260%. Each of the previously mentioned albums are already within the top 25 largest increased music sales on Amazon. Since Amazon's figures are calculated based on 24-hour trends, the total impact of sales may not be realized for another day or so. Sales on iTunes are also increasing, with "The Essential Michael Jackson" showcased at the top of the home page, on a special sale in connection to American Idol. Other Jackson albums are climbing the iTunes Pop charts as well.

All 13 of the Michael Jackson covers performed on American Idol, in their extended studio versions, can be purchased and downloaded from iTunes by clicking HERE.

"The Essential Michael Jackson" can be purchased and downloaded from iTunes by clicking HERE.

Source: MJJR.net

:clapping: :D

i don't know if the covers got a sales report or not but this proves that people feel the need to go home to MJ after hearing a cover of his music..whether it be in america or around the world. MJ mania never left, babyyy!!!:clapping:

http://mjjr.net/news-i395-6.html

Jackson's Albums Soar High After American Idol Special!

20090311Essential.jpg

As predicted, Michael Jackson's albums have quickly soared in sales following the two-hour special Michael Jackson themed American Idol on Tuesday. The sales figures are expected to climb even higher during the next 24-48 hours as more details trickle in. On Amazon, a variety of Michael Jackson's albums have already jumped to the top movers and shakers list. Less than five hours after the broadcast, "The Essential Michael Jackson" has increased its sales by 2,377% and went from rank 8,001 to 323 of all music sold on Amazon. "Thriller 25" has seen an increase of 411% (ranked 171), "Number Ones" increased by 384%, and "Off the Wall" by 260%. Each of the previously mentioned albums are already within the top 25 largest increased music sales on Amazon. Since Amazon's figures are calculated based on 24-hour trends, the total impact of sales may not be realized for another day or so. Sales on iTunes are also increasing, with "The Essential Michael Jackson" showcased at the top of the home page, on a special sale in connection to American Idol. Other Jackson albums are climbing the iTunes Pop charts as well.

All 13 of the Michael Jackson covers performed on American Idol, in their extended studio versions, can be purchased and downloaded from iTunes by clicking HERE.

"The Essential Michael Jackson" can be purchased and downloaded from iTunes by clicking HERE.

Source: MJJR.net

NICE! :clap: That's what I'm talkin' 'bout! :dancin:

You know what I notice whenever anyone tries to sing Michael's songs? How flat it comes across. They just don't have the energy or the speed of Michael's voice to make the songs work. Listening to covers you would think that the songs aren't any good, when it's really just the singers who suck.

Aw well...

no such luck, BUT, most folk hoped that he would! :)

The Michael Jackson-Idol Poll

Are you holding on to hope that the King of Pop will appear on next week's American Idol and show those kids how it's done?

• 45.2% Yes, please, Icon on Idol!
  • 36.3% Kelly & Kanye will be just fine, thanks
  • 18.6% It'll take more than M.J. for me to watch televised karaoke
http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b103216_american_idol_does_michael_jackson_will.html

Wow I'm watching it on YouTube now and I'm genuinely shocked that people chose stuff to sing that was post-Bad lol Good on them!

But damn, why does every single one of them HAVE to over sing every song. Yeesh lol. Just sing the song, don't run all over it lol

Oh BTW....HI EVERYONE (after I've disappeared for a while lol)

Last edited:
You know what I notice whenever anyone tries to sing Michael's songs? How flat it comes across. They just don't have the energy or the speed of Michael's voice to make the songs work. Listening to covers you would think that the songs aren't any good, when it's really just the singers who suck.

yeah...i notice that

My fave performance was human nature by far... The rest didnt do it for me. I am still trying to decide wether to make a dvd of the shows. (performances and results)

Back