a million copies in a week is to be applauded

It's laughable, that's what it is. It's a shame that so many people have sh***y tastes in music.

when u think about it, who is really to say what people's tastes in music should be or what is calssified as shitty music. Music is music..of course some music is less respected than others, maybe like Hannah Montana/Mile Cyrus or other pop acts, but for their fans, it really comes down to what they like. If a million people like to listen to Lil Wayne regardless of how he might be compared to other music, then thats their judgment and their own likes. Dont knock ppl for liking certain music and callin it having "shitty taste." Music is expression of the artist whether it seeks to touch ppl or just make money. Its all about what the fan likes to hear. Who are you or anyone one else to say what is legit or non legit music???

when u think about it, who is really to say what people's tastes in music should be or what is calssified as shitty music. Music is music..of course some music is less respected than others, maybe like Hannah Montana/Mile Cyrus or other pop acts, but for their fans, it really comes down to what they like. If a million people like to listen to Lil Wayne regardless of how he might be compared to other music, then thats their judgment and their own likes. Dont knock ppl for liking certain music and callin it having "shitty taste." Music is expression of the artist whether it seeks to touch ppl or just make money. Its all about what the fan likes to hear. Who are you or anyone one else to say what is legit or non legit music???

:clapping:
co-fucking-sign............

i really need to stop listening to my ipod and turn on the radio cuz i have no idea who lil' wayne is

thats odd u live in the UK and don't know who he is? he stay over their doing many shows and from the look of his many youtube videos his fan base over there is huge judging from the size of his audience at his shows.

thats odd u live in the UK and don't know who he is? he stay over their doing many shows and from the look of his many youtube videos his fan base over there is huge judging from the size of his audience at his shows.
no thanks, we have taste
f_biggrin.gif
. unfortunately, we also go to as many gigs our student debt can handle.

When Lil Wayne couldn't handle London

Alex Marshall
Guardian
March 17, 2008 3:45 PM

You couldn't help but feel sorry for Lil Wayne, even when he was being booed off stage after only 10 minutes. The 25-year-old from New Orleans - real name Dwayne Michael Carter Jr - is the hottest rapper in the States right now, with a critical reputation that verges on the ridiculous. The New York Times described a show he gave in Newark last month as "positively historic", language that august paper normally reserves for political coups.

But over here, he seems to have a status barely higher than a pub band. His three-date UK tour to promote the forthcoming Carter III album had previously taken in the delights of Watford's Area nightclub and Newmarket's Innocence - the latter of which prides itself on offering "world class entertainment at local prices" and "the chance to see Oasis and the Killers...through their tribute counterparts" . For a man who boasts he's the greatest rapper alive, you can't help feeling the UK's given him the wrong reception.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/03/when_lil_wayne_couldnt_handle_london.html

but in all seriousness,,, like his predecessor, 50p, he will undoubtedly blow up in the Western continents as a result of his fame in America, but time will judge his true impact on music.

PopPrince89 said:
Music is music..of course some music is less respected than others
co-bloody sign.

dangerous 88 i feel your pain as well. what i wouldn't have done to have been alive and kicking during michael mania. *sigh* I can't stand nowaday music. But what kills me is how the youngins of today act like, like it's the best thing ever. UGH it's sicken. My sisters get on my nerve actin like nowaday music is the hottest stuff. She be calling out name of so and so and I have no clue what she's talking about. And I don't care either. She even admitted that she will like something thats new and in a few years won't like it anymore. so that tells me all I need to know. I'm sorry but cursing and music degrading women don't appeal to me at all.

I don't turn on the radio or watch MTV or BET. Period. so that helps out a lot. some of it, you can't miss but I avoid nowaday artist like the plague. oh how I have longed and thirsted for real music to make a comeback. Something that's exciting. I would take just a mere fraction of michael mania, today. Just overall goodness, ya know. I'm near death from dehydration. I'm seriously thirsty for some real music and that overall magical feeling.

To the one who experienced michael mania, stevie mania, whitney goodness back in the good ol days. All I can say is...BLESSED.

I had planned to watch the BET awards cuz it's about the only award I will watch and i couldn't even watch it. Everytime I would turn on the tv to see who was on it just made me sick. I tried like 3 times turning on the tv and after about the 3rd time I couldnt. I just said bump it. I ain't watching. And then when I was thinking about it. I don't even know why I wanted to watch it since I don't like anybody that's out now. I mean I like A keys and mike biting chris is alright but honestly I wasn't gonna keep checking to see when they got on stage I don't like them that much. Plus that's what Youtube is for. But I haven't even checked them out for youtube. The only artist im into is michael. It is what it is. I like others but I don't check them out or im not INTO them. Stevie is up there for greatness but I still don't check him out. But I heart michael.

oh GOD what i wouldn't do for just 1/100 of michael mania.:(

you mean without anyone sing on it. Just MUSIC isn't my thing.
There's jazz singers like Nancy Wilson or Abbey Lincoln and classical singers like Cecilia Bartoli, Denyce Graves, or Plácido Domingo.

ok i'll check it out. Thanks! do you know of any soulful jazz singers. Like a blend of the two. Soul singing with jazz music in the back.

TIA

dangerous 88 i feel your pain as well. what i wouldn't have done to have been alive and kicking during michael mania. *sigh* I can't stand nowaday music. But what kills me is how the youngins of today act like, like it's the best thing ever. UGH it's sicken. My sisters get on my nerve actin like nowaday music is the hottest stuff. She be calling out name of so and so and I have no clue what she's talking about. And I don't care either. She even admitted that she will like something thats new and in a few years won't like it anymore. so that tells me all I need to know. I'm sorry but cursing and music degrading women don't appeal to me at all.

I don't turn on the radio or watch MTV or BET. Period. so that helps out a lot. some of it, you can't miss but I avoid nowaday artist like the plague. oh how I have longed and thirsted for real music to make a comeback. Something that's exciting. I would take just a mere fraction of michael mania, today. Just overall goodness, ya know. I'm near death from dehydration. I'm seriously thirsty for some real music and that overall magical feeling.

To the one who experienced michael mania, stevie mania, whitney goodness back in the good ol days. All I can say is...BLESSED.

Even though I agree with DuranDuran on checking out some other genres, like jazz or rock for example, I couldn't agree more with you... POP music - PURE POP music seems to be dying. I can't help it, it really does make me sad when I see what is POPULAR nowadays... It's just sad...

ok i'll check it out. Thanks! do you know of any soulful jazz singers. Like a blend of the two. Soul singing with jazz music in the back.

TIA
There's Basia, who has a kinda jazzy pop/R&B sound like Sade. Nina Simone is good to check out also. Check out George Benson has a soulful voice. He does jazz, pop, R&B, swing. But since you said you don't like instrumentals, just stick with his material after 1978. The majority of his stuff before this is just instrumental music. Al Jarreau & Jonathan Butler are good also.

Back