A Message from the Estate Of Michael Jackson Re Wembley concert DVD Quality [Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was one video from HIStory Tour where you could hear Michael singing over playback during Blood on the Dance Floor. But I can't find it now. :(

Munich other night. But he just sings over a bit in falcetto voice. It's kinda double voice, his live and studio a capella.

TBH i dont know if it would be good idea to leave MJs live. He prolly does like in rehearsals. Some parts doesnt sing at all and some just easily in some falcetto for example. Would be good if they mix in MJs live bits when he really puts effort in it and sings them well.

TBH i dont know if it would be good idea to leave MJs live. He prolly does like in rehearsals. Some parts doesnt sing at all and some just easily in some falcetto for example. Would be good if they mix in MJs live bits when he really puts effort in it and sings them well.
I agree MJJLatvia, but we can't be sure! let's just wait for the DVD :)

it's best to make sure especially when you're performing to Royalty, Post Bad Tour Live on the HIStory Tour the playback stopped working so it is possible.

That suggests then that Michael doesn't actually know whats been fed to the PA in terms of vocals. He's full out singing every track, even though its the studio vocal going out, in all these concerts if that's the case. Otherwise, as soon as he realises the studio vocal has 'cut out' (apparently this is a major risk on a multi-million dollar, state of the art world tour) he is ready to pick up live vocals - perhaps an example of sorts would be MITM at Grammy '88.

It all strikes me as rather odd, seems so pointless. I understand using playback in the Rihanna example I gave earlier but with that example singing live WITH your own live vocal is intentional for a desired effect. It's not contingency or anything like that.

see there Michael sang full out on every song, so I really hope Sony use Michael's Live vocals on the DVD.

Michael became a master of miming as his career progressed. He knew exactly what the audience was hearing, when he needed to slyly cover his mouth and where his live vocals needed to come in (towards the end of certain songs etc.). So this is hard for me to believe frankly. MJ wouldn't waste singing out when no-one could hear it when he had other songs he had to carry fully live. As I said before, if the mic has picked up anything it will be rough and intermittent.

I'm confused though Zakk, it's gone from 'will be fully live' to 'live with playback' to merely 'hoping'?

Michael became a master of miming as his career progressed. He knew exactly what the audience was hearing, when he needed to slyly cover his mouth and where his live vocals needed to come in (towards the end of certain songs etc.). So this is hard for me to believe frankly. MJ wouldn't waste singing out when no-one could hear it when he had other songs he had to carry fully live. As I said before, if the mic has picked up anything it will be rough and intermittent.

I'm confused though Zakk, it's gone from 'will be fully live' to 'live with playback' to merely 'hoping'?

Well Chris, Stella told me that the DVD would have Michael's Live vocals as recorded by the sound truck including Smooth Criminal, Bad and Man in the Mirror.

My biggest concern about the audio is the crowd noices. I hope they don't add more than there already is. What we hear in Wembley snippets is enough. They sound amazing! Bucharest and particularly 30th Anniversary concert isn't very fun to listen with MP3 player because of the crowd noices. They hurt my ears. I hope the Live CD is not like that :D

Target Is Releasing Their Own Version With All The Original BAD Album Videos!

"Exclusive Content: Bonus DVD including the
following videos
Bad
The Way You Make Me Feel
Speed Demon
Liberian Girl
Another Part of Me
Man In The Mirror
Dirty Diana
Smooth Criminal
Leave Me Alone
This version will include the national 2 disc
+ the bonus DVD"

Nice stuff, cool

The second disc is cool. Will have to try and get that. (Not another thing, surely! lol) Just hope the quality is good. We know they have a great source for TWYMMF because of Spike's docu.

I guess this clears it up. Reply From Jennifer Batten regarding Michael's live vocals for every song on the DVD. My question: "@MJFamForever: @mondocongo Hi Jennifer, did the DVD include Michael's Full Live vocals?" her reply: "@mondocongo: @MJFamForever -yes, not only is Michael singing live but he gets down gospel style to testify! Unbelievable !

Enrique, Britney and many others are singing while miming on stage. that makes the miming more real, meaning it looks less fake. you can find live vocal recordings of Britneys offical released concert dubbed with her actual singing of the concert on YT. And if you hear them, you'll understand why they are performing playback. same goes for Michael. Dangerous (Apollo) and BOTDF (Munich - snippet) are good examples. So, songs where he IS usually singing live will and should be without voice over. the rest shoud be like it is intended by Michael, playback.
MJJlatvia gave good example how it will sound, if they use the actual voice recorging and why it shouldn't be used.
Sometimes i don't understand that obession with live singing. I know its a concert. But we know he doesn't sing full night every song live. even when the mic was off in rarely occasions, doesn't soung good. I don't want to hear Michael out of breath, like he's been running thought the forest. so i think you have wrong expectations, where you read "his vocals were fully recorded".

Last edited:
I guess this clears it up. Reply From Jennifer Batten regarding Michael's live vocals for every song on the DVD. My question: "@MJFamForever: @mondocongo Hi Jennifer, did the DVD include Michael's Full Live vocals?" her reply: "@mondocongo: @MJFamForever -yes, not only is Michael singing live but he gets down gospel style to testify! Unbelievable !

How exciting is THAT? :wild: :wild:

But Jennifer doesn't precisely say that ALL songs are live, and she may have misunderstood the question. Obviously a good part of Bad is live judging by that clip, which is not totally surprising as he performs this song live alot of the time but i still find it hard to believe he would sing Man In The Mirror and Smooth Criminal live. Like others have said i dont really see the point, sorry Zakk. Would be AWESOME if true though. We need someone here to actually confirm this. Go Flying??

It will certainly be a little laughable to release a live CD of a concert when all you're getting is a live band with a studio vocal.

It will certainly be a little laughable to release a live CD of a concert when all you're getting is a live band with a studio vocal.

This isn't a HIStory tour release, it's a Bad one. So most of it will be live.

Enrique, Britney and many others are singing while miming on stage. that makes the miming more real, meaning it looks less fake. you can find live vocal recordings of Britneys offical released concert dubbed with her actual singing of the concert on YT. And if you hear them, you'll understand why they are performing playback. same goes for Michael. Dangerous (Apollo) and BOTDF (Munich - snippet) are good examples. So, songs where he IS usually singing live will and should be without voice over. the rest shoud be like it is intended by Michael, playback.
MJJlatvia gave good example how it will sound, if they use the actual voice recorging and why it shouldn't be used.
Sometimes i don't understand that obession with live singing. I know its a concert. But we know he doesn't sing full night every song live. even when the mic was off in rarely occasions, doesn't soung good. I don't want to hear Michael out of breath, like he's been running thought the forest. so i think you have wrong expectations, where you read "his vocals were fully recorded".

Yeah but this is from the bad tour not history and michael was in his prime, so if he was singing fully under the playback then i see no reason why they should not put his actual voice on the cd and dvd.

Some of you people act like Michael wasn't capable of singing his songs live, cmon:p

Wow! :eek: :blink: Oh God :doh: so many concerns and bla bla bla :sigh:, please people, keep the calm, be more patient... in the end I know everyone will be very happy with the final result. I'm sure that the Estate did a great job for us to celebrate the Bad 25! ;)

Ashtanga where is that gif of Michael rolling his eyes?

angfw5.gif
:fear:

That suggests then that Michael doesn't actually know whats been fed to the PA in terms of vocals. He's full out singing every track, even though its the studio vocal going out, in all these concerts if that's the case. Otherwise, as soon as he realises the studio vocal has 'cut out' (apparently this is a major risk on a multi-million dollar, state of the art world tour) he is ready to pick up live vocals - perhaps an example of sorts would be MITM at Grammy '88.

It all strikes me as rather odd, seems so pointless. I understand using playback in the Rihanna example I gave earlier but with that example singing live WITH your own live vocal is intentional for a desired effect. It's not contingency or anything like that.

No way. All of this was planned in advance. Especially since it was always the same 3 songs where he would use the playback (smooth criminal, bad, man in the mirror).
At the end of each song, he'd come back in live.
He may have been singing quietly into the mic instead of whispering, but yeah.

I'd rather hear a person sound horrible live than hear the album track, tbh.

Frankly, I'm surprised he never re-recorded the motown medley with his adult voice and do that for the later tours, and mime that.

that 'Bad' snippet we got was Michael's real Live vocals from that concert, personally I couldn't hear any playback at all so how knows.

OK, dance to your absolute best for an hour (while also singing your absolute best) and THEN sing Smooth Criminal while dancing at your aforementioned absolute best. Even Michael tired during concerts and his vocals suffered for it. Listen to Human Nature during the Dangerous Tour and you will realise that.

OK, dance to your absolute best for an hour (while also singing your absolute best) and THEN sing Smooth Criminal while dancing at your aforementioned absolute best. Even Michael tired during concerts and his vocals suffered for it. Listen to Human Nature during the Dangerous Tour and you will realise that.

I always felt Smooth Criminal was the one song (MAYBE Dangerous too) that I don't mind him using playback.
But the Bad Tour proved that he could dance his ass off AND sing well live.

AND the reason HUMAN NATURE sounded bad on Dangerous tour was because he was wearing the damn headset mic. (i'm not talking about the high notes for WHYYYYY OH WHYYY. Those sounded great. But the rest of it...)

While it looks neat and allows more freedom to move without having to hold a mic to your face, you have to compensate with breath control because you can't move it away to take big breaths.

I really hate it when singers in general lip synch. What's the point?

I should point out, I'm not referring to when an artist using a backing track that contains background vocals or various vocal artifacts from the studio recording. That's fine.

That's why I love Lady Gaga. She always sings live, but she also uses a vocal track the band plays to that has vocal fragments and such.

Oh, and another thing about artists who lip synch. I would always be scared that I would drop the mic or my headset mic would fall off. Then you're screwed!
I bet higher end acts have their sound guys instructed to make sure to lower/cut off the vocal feed if that happens.

Does anyone play the MJ experience and try to sing along. It's really hard so I can't blame him for some playback lol

Not with the game, but I've re-enacted the Bad Tour in my house and it's quite the workout :D

And when I sing in the car, my voice gets sore after really really singing the hell out of a song or 2.

I suggest everyone get a wireless microphone (they have cheap ones around), and just turn up the music and mimic what he does for that 2 hours. Factor in a 10 minute break for the band groove, too :D

I don't know whether Jennifer is a hypocrite or not. But, I feel fans can be very judgmental. How can we determine one's character based on one tweet or opinion on one issue. Not so long ago, fans praised Jennifer for speaking against Gene Simons' baseless claims. We thanked her for speaking the truth. Now, after one not-so-flattering tweet, we put her in the black list category?

Why can't she speak about her opinion on posthumous release?

Why can't she change her mind?

She is not the only peron I know who changed her opinion. Only fools refuse to change.

I'm not aware of any betrayals from Jennifer to Michael. She was in all three of Michael's solo tours. Michael definitely trusted her and thought highly of her. That speak volumes to me.

I don't care if she didn't support Bad 25 originally and changed her mind after the viewing. Nothing wrong with that.

As for royalty, are you sure Jennifer is entitled to receive money? If so, she must be receiving money for the Dangerous DVD too. Does it mean the whole band and the whole backup crew will receive royalty? Is it how things work? Or, when she signed the contract years ago, she signed away right for future payments. She was hired as employee to work on the tour. So, may be she can't receive royalty. I honestly don't know. But, we can't just assume she changed her mind because of money.

I totally agree. Some fans are so hateful and spiteful. It's really unpleasent.

PS: Jennifer only did two and a half tours with MJ. Becky Barsdale did the second half of Dangerous Tour. And Greg Howe did two shows that Jennifer missed on the History Tour when her mother passed away.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back