you can be a Great Artist and not write songs?

Actually, it can. Listen to the original version of Respect by Otis Redding (who wrote it), and listen to Aretha Franklin's cover. She took the song and did something totally different with it. Aretha wrote some of her songs, but she also did a lot of covers. Isaac Hayes was famous in the early 70s for covering pop hits and making them 15 minutes long. It was like they were a totally different song when he did them. Also theres the Isley Bothers's remake of Todd Rundgren's song Hello It's Me. Ronald Isley does something different as well as with other songs like Seals & Crofts' Summer Breeze. Many people say the J5's "Who's Loving You" is better than the earlier versions by The Miracles or The Temptations. Several Motown writers during the 1960s have said that Marvin Gaye would do something that was different from how the songs were written. Smokey Robinson said that he "Marvinized" the songs, lol. On the other hand, just because someone writes a song doesn't mean it has a special meaning or that they are creative. Look at the average K.C. and the Sunshine Band song. They usually had very simple lyrics that were about parties and fun and 'shaking your booty', lol. But they had somewhat complex musical arrangements however. Or look at an act like 2 Live Crew. They wrote their lyrics, but it's all smut. So it can go both ways.

True, It can go both ways as far as substance goes. If an artist creates the material, it STILL has to be good just because they have input doesnt mean its "good" or creative but in my opinion thats what makes a great artist and some of the greatest artists have done just that.Steve Wonder, Prince, Marvin Gaye, Jimi etc.

With some of the examples with the covers you make great points. The Ottis Redding and the Aretha Respect I love both but how much creative input did Aretha have with the production as far as producing and arranging the instruments? It doesnt have to be songwriting. It can be producing and arranging. I look at an artist as someone who creates and tries to come up with something new. Most of those covers have there own twist to them so it could be considered something creative. I also dont just look at one thing. Just because an artist comes out with a cover song hell even 2 or 3 doesnt make them less of an artist. If there overall material is consistent with them giving creative input then I think its fair to still call them an artist. Im talking about singers who dont do anything no creative input whatsoever.

Would you call a singer an artist? Isn't art expressing yourself, not having others express yourself for you. I call non writers performers. Cause thats what they are... not really artists (if we are going by the dictionary definition of an artist)

I agree. An artist is a creator. So, if you write lyrics, music, or compose and arrange, you are an artist. If you sing the songs, you are a singer. If you sing and dance then you are a performer.

Michael was all 3.

Back