World Vision.org

Today, four months after the earthquake in Haiti, the generosity of supporters like you is helping World Vision continue to support survivors -- creating jobs, providing for basic needs, and establishing hope for the future.

Creating jobs in Haiti

www.worldvision.org

Life is difficult at camps for Haiti's displaced earthquake survivors. But a cash-for-work program is just one of the ways that World Vision is helping families rebuild their lives and create hope for the future.

Love Always

:angel:

A smile's worth a thousand words. [Our favorite photo this week] SHARE THIS!

World Vision in post-quake Haiti

At this Mother's Club in Haiti, new mothers share about their experiences, learn about healthcare for themselves and their children, and are encouraged to play with their babies, despite their stressful living conditions.

Support World Vision's long-term relief efforts in Haiti: http://bit.ly/HAITIsupport

Today, four months after the earthquake in Haiti, the generosity of supporters like you is helping World Vision continue to support survivors -- creating jobs, providing for basic needs, and establishing hope for the future. Give to World Vision long -ter...

See More
By: World Vision

Love Always~~~

World Vision: In war-torn Sudan, where fighting and droughts have caused extreme hunger among children, we're conducting food distributions to help save the lives of struggling families.

Food is life in Sudan
www.worldvision.org

World Vision's goal is to help families and communities to become self sufficient. But sometimes, when a situation is unstable, food aid becomes a life-saving interim solution.

Love Always

PRAYER FRIDAY: This morning, join us in praying for children & families worldwide in need of God's blessing & protection today, and be encouraged to post your own prayer requests & pray for one another.

Love Always

"My children don't suffer anymore" -from hungry to healthy in the Dominican RepublicShare

Today at 2:44pm

Last year, life was difficult for Lauteria, age 39, and her five children, from 11 to 22 years old.

“I felt sad because my children cried and they told me: ‘Mom, I’m hungry,’ and I didn’t have anything [to give them],” remembers Lauteria. “The children were only able to eat one time a day. If they ate lunch, they didn’t eat dinner."

“We ate mostly rice and beans. When we had a little bit of money, we would buy a piece of meat,” says Lauteria. The inadequate nutrition affected her children. “They had a lot of stomach aches and they would get dizzy.”

Lauteria is amazed at how much difference one year and a little bit of help has made in her family. Less than a year ago, Lauteria received seeds, through the World Vision gift catalog, to plant a family garden. She also received materials to build a fence to protect their plants.

“The fence is very important,” she says. “It keeps the chickens and goats from getting in. Before, I tried to make a garden, but the chickens got in and I worked for nothing.”

According to Lauteria, the combination of the seeds and fence-building supplies has given this family the ingredients for great change and transformation. “Before, I had to go to the market to buy the food. Now, I can save that money,” she says, with a proud smile. “Before, we ate meat maybe two times a week. Now, we can eat it three times. My children don’t suffer from diarrhea or vomiting anymore."

The garden has give then family the ability to have better nutrition, but it has also given Lauteria something even more special. It has given her back her sense of pride, knowing that she can care for her children. “Now, when my children say, ‘Mom, I’m hungry,’ I can come here, [to the garden], and I pick a little bit of corn and I cook it in a sauce,” she says, with a smile.

$17 can give life-changing help to farmers struggling to raise enough food for their hungry children. Give seeds today. or choose another life-changing gift.

Lauteria washes the vegetables, lettuce and tomatoes that she picked from their family garden to make a salad to accompany her children's lunch of rice and beans.

Lauteria proudly shows the garden that she has been able to plant thanks to the seeds and fencing she received from World Vision Gift Catalog.

Less than a year ago, Lauteria received seeds, through the World Vision gift catalog, to plant a family garden. She also received materials to build a fence to protect their plants. “The fence is very important,” she says. “It keeps the chickens and goats from getting in. Before, I tried to make a garden, but the chickens got in and I worked for nothing.”

Love Always

June 1, 2010- World Vision’s 60-year history of relief and development in Korea and throughout the world will be honored with the prestigious Ho-Am Prize today in Seoul, Korea.

The coveted award has nominated World Vision Korea as the 2010 winner in the field of community service for taking a leading role in generating generosity among the public in addition to its contribution to humanitarian assistance.

“This is a great honor for World Vision Korea particularly on the occasion of 60th anniversary this year,” said J. Sam Park, World Vision Korea's Chief Executive Officer.

The award consists of a 6 oz. gold medal, a laureate diploma, and a cash prize of 300 million Korean Won (US$270,000). The Ho-Am Prize is an annual award for Koreans who have made outstanding contributions to the development of science and culture and enhancement of the welfare of mankind.

It is often referred to as the Korean equivalent of the Nobel Prize and is funded by Samsung.

www.worldvision.org

As Always

Storm in Central America hits multiple countries

Today at 2:34pm

June 3, 2010- Tropical Storm Agatha has torn through multiple Central American countries. Storms have caused serious flooding and mudslides, affecting several World Vision communities. We are responding to the needs of those affected in four countries. Updates are provided below.

Please note that it is our policy to notify sponsors as soon as possible if a sponsored child has been directly affected. Please also be in prayer for our staff in each country, as needs are assessed and our emergency response continues.

Guatemala
Rains are expected to continue throughout this week, complicating clean up and recovery efforts from both the storm and last week's volcano. The current activity from the volcano is low but scientists have not ruled out another eruption and many nearby towns remain on alert. World Vision is evacuating families in eight of its communities and will take them to an emergency shelter. Staff are also providing emergency supplies like blankets and food to those in need. In addition, electricity is out in several affected communities,including San Raymundo.

Honduras
World Vision's emergency assessment in the communities where it operates found the following: 260 people affected, 105 houses damaged and 150 people evacuated to safer areas. Our emergency team is responding to four communities most-affected by the storm. The team is coordinating with the World Food Programme to provide emergency food supplies to families in need.

Nicaragua
World Vision's emergency team reports that several communities have flooded and some are inaccessible because of flooding, mudslides. In addition, at least 180 people in the communities where World Vision works have been evacuated. World Vision has distributed clothing to those in need and is working with the Ministry of Health to coordinate medical care for the injured.

El Salvador
Weather reports predicting Tropical Storm Agatha will dissipate by Tuesday but rains could continue in some regions of the country. The government is reporting more than 8,000 people have been evacuated from their homes. Our emergency team is currently in the field conducting a rapid assessment to determine the needs of the affected communities. Preliminary reports from local staff say that access to some communities is difficult because of mud slides, fallen trees and flooding. Some families in high-risk communities have been evacuated.

More updates will be provided as they come in. Please continue to be in prayer for those affected and for our staff working tirelessly to address needs.

As Always

Today, South Puget Sound Women of Vision is hosting the Break the Chain Conference in Gig Harbor, WA where particpants from around the country are engaging in the battle to end human trafficking. Learn about what we're doing to fight child trafficking and how you can help at http://bit.ly/childtrafficking
World Vision - Child trafficking and exploitation
bit.ly Trafficking in persons is the use of fraud, force, or coercion to exploit a person for profit. Human trafficking, especially trafficking of children, is essentially a modern slave trade.

Love Always

Donated medication saves a child’s life in Zambia

Thanks to the donated pharmaceuticals distributed by World Vision at the Mwalumina Clinic in Zambia, 3-year-old Sabina is given a second chance after a worm infestation takes over her body and threatens her life.

June 2010

By Collins Kaumba, World Vision Zambia. Edited by Tara Becker, World Vision U.S.

Sabina, 3, receives donated deworming medication after an extreme case of worms threatens to take her life.
Photo ©2010 Collins Kaumba/World Vision
A clearly exhausted Sabina Chingala sits on her grandmother’s lap with her hands folded around her swollen belly. The 3-year-old almost manages to fall asleep until a coughing spasm jolts her awake.

Her fatigue and discomfort are understandable. Sabina is recovering from an acute worm infestation that almost killed her.

“The cough is a result of the worms that have moved all the way through her body to the esophagus,” says Themba Nthani, a health officer at the Mwalumina Clinic in Zambia.

At first glance, it looks like Sabina is suffering from malnutrition. She is pale, stunted, and weak. Her legs, hands, and stomach are swollen, and she can barely eat or move.

As though this is not enough, the 3-year-old also has anemia caused by the worms that have infested her blood stream.

A bigger issue

Help provide life-saving medicines and supplies to clinics where the shelves might otherwise be empty.

Sadly, Sabina’s ailments are hardly uncommon for a child of her age in this part of the world. In the United States, infants who fall ill from childhood infections can simply visit a doctor and obtain basic medications to make them feel better.

In places like Zambia, however, it’s not nearly so simple. Extreme poverty often renders basic health interventions and treatments inaccessible — or unaffordable. A trip to the clinic can mean hours, or even days of travel. And when parents arrive with their sick children, they often leave empty-handed.

“The need for [medication] is high...sometimes we send patients away either because the government delays to disburse the drug kits or the drugs finish before the next kit arrives,” confirms Themba.

‘I thank the donors in the U.S.’

Sabina's grandmother looks worriedly at the girl's swollen belly and feet. Thankfully, the swelling has gone down since she took the deworming medicine.

World VisionGlobally, some 24,000 children under 5 die every day from preventable, treatable diseases. World Vision is working to change this through our Child Health Now campaign — by lobbying world leaders to implement effective, low-cost solutions in countries like Zambia, and by partnering with generous corporations who donate medicines and supplies for us to distribute.

At the Mwalumina Clinic, such a partnership ultimately saved Sabina’s life. A World Vision truck loaded with donated pharmaceuticals arrived just in time to provide her with the deworming medicine they needed to save her life.

“I thank the donors in the U.S. who are providing these drugs to save children’s lives,” says Themba. “Imagine how painful it would have been to see Sabina die just because we did not have the right drugs.”

Thankfully, this painful scenario was not Sabina’s reality. Her appetite is back and she is able to walk around. Because of the drugs she received from World Vision, this little girl will be able to rest tonight.

Learn more

>> Read another story about a child in Burundi suffering from diarrhea whose life was saved when World Vision delivered medication to the local clinic.

>> Read more about our Child Health Now campaign and how you can be involved.

Four ways you can help

>> Praise God that Sabina is on the road to recovery because of the life-saving medication she received. Pray for children and families like hers around the world who face similar circumstances because of extreme poverty.

>> Contact President Obama. Ask him to prioritize the health of mothers and children at the G8 Summit this month, and take concrete action to stop the needless deaths of nearly 9 million children each year.

>> Donate now to help provide life-saving medicines and supplies in communities where they’re needed most. Your gift multiplies 15 times in impact to help us deliver donated pharmaceuticals to clinics where the shelves would otherwise be empty.

>> Sponsor a child in Zambia. Your love and support for a boy or girl in need will provide basics like healthcare — building stability for the present and hope for the future.

Love Always

World Vision MICRO FACT from http://bit.ly/wvMICRO:

1 out of every 5 people worldwide lives on less than $1.25 a day.

How would you spend your money if you made only $1.25 a day?

As Always

Could your cell phone or laptop be connected to a decade-long humanitarian crisis in the Democratic Republic of Congo?

Demand for “conflict minerals” endangers Congo’s women and children
www.worldvision.org

A recently introduced bill, the Conflict Minerals Trade Act, would empower consumers with the knowledge of whether their electronic purchases contribute to a decade-long humanitarian crisis in the DR Congo.

Love Always

World Vision PRAYER FRIDAY: for teens advocating for an end to gang violence at the Youth Empowerment Summit beginning tomorrow. (Follow #WVYEP on Twitter for updates)

Teens Converge in D.C. to Voice Concerns About Gang Violence
www.worldvision.org

This weekend, about 130 youth from across the country will converge at the nation’s capital to push for an end to gang violence. The teens are part of the Youth Empowerment Project (YEP) which trains young people to be agents of positive change in their struggling communities.

Love Always

World Vision

‎"The prayer of the righteous is powerful and effective." - James 5:16b This Friday, October 1st, is our annual Day of Prayer and Action where we commit to praying and advocating for justice for the poor. Won't you join us?

Pray and advocate with us on October 1: A Day of Prayer and Action
www.worldvision.org

On the Day of Prayer and Action, October 1, we will pray for those who are suffering in povery and contact our elected leaders to let them know that supporting those suffering from extreme poverty and injustice is a top priority.

God Bless

As Always

World Vision ACT:S Sometimes we have tunnel vision for our lives

http://www.worldvisionacts.org/?q=tunnel_vision

Tunnel Vision | World Vision ACT:S

www.worldvisionacts.org

Entering college, I had a purpose and a plan: I was going to be a doctor. The next four years were going to get me there. I told everyone I was “definitely” pre-med, and I truly believed it. Before classes even started, I had already mapped out an intensely detailed course schedule to double major in...

Peace, Happiness, L.O.V.E~~~

God Bless

As Always

We're within 120 books of meeting our goal to provide 5,000 books to children in Haiti. With your help, we believe we can meet that goal TODAY.

http://bit.ly/ReadabookGiveabook

God Bless

As Always

A Night of Beautiful Madness – See how McDaniel College hosted a fun and meaningful event to help save lives. Then put your campus or community on the map and sign up for a FREE ACT:S to End Malaria box.

Tips on how to use art & activism to ignite a movement – check out Scott Erickson’s Art & Activism videos to learn how to make your own t-shirts, create interactive art, and take over your campus & community.

World AIDS Day is December 1. Show the world that millions are still being affected by HIV and AIDS – learn more and sign up for free Lives are on the Line resources.*
*In order to send you your resources in time, we need you to sign up by November 10!

additional happenings

Hidden Costs & Hidden Faces: The Deadly Duo – AIDS + Malaria

SUCCESS STORIES: Day of Prayer and Action

ACTS + CALLING Reflection: A Revolution

Hidden Costs & Hidden Faces: Malaria can warp and define children's lives

ACT:S Leadership Blog: Exploring Justice Together

Follow World Vision ACT:S on Twitter

Questions? Contact us: www.acts@worldvision.org. Become a fan on Facebook.

God Bless

As Always

World Vision ACT:S ?TOMS Shoes + World Vision: partnering to provide shoes to children around the globe http://bit.ly/dvNkit

TOMS Shoes + World Vision: partnering to provide shoes to children around the globe | World Vision A
bit.ly

TOMS Shoes and World Vision have launched a new partnership to provide children in more than a dozen developing countries with new shoes to protect their health and empower them to stay in school. In many cases, children are receiving their very first pair of shoes, or in other cases, the donated shoes.

:punk:

God Bless

As Always

National Call-in Day LIVE at University of Delaware | World Vision ACT:S

www.worldvisionacts.org

On November 10, we will be hosting a LIVE webcast from the University of Delaware – highlighting activism and advocacy all across the nation as we call our Senators to pass the Child Protection Compact Act and "help stop" child slavery!

:punk:

God Bless Always

:rollingpeace::angel::rollingpeace:

Back