Will there ever be anyone that can produce as much Mania as Michael?

+1. it would be pretty interesting to see what musical artists are like in the future. i mean the world has changed so much since last century and its kind of fantastical to imagine what future stars might be like

Yes, or its going be a very boring few next billion years.

And if you are emerging when everything's already been done, what is there to innovate? I'm sad for this generation, because there are truly some insurmontable odds.
That's just an excuse for their lack of creativity!
Same thing was said when MJ created Thriller. Everyone around him said everything had already been done but look what he did with Thriller? Also, when MJ said he wanted Thriller to sell 100million copies, everybody laughed at him because average sales for an album at that time was less than 10million copies.

I find MJ's story very similar to the greats like Walt disney. When he told about the idea of creating the happiest place on earth, everyone thought he's crazy!

As for the physical CD sales, MJ sold 9million copies of his album since his death. Isn't it amazing?

Not in our lifetime, no.

But if the world continues for hundreds and thousands and millions of years, then yeah. I think you guys saying there'll never be that big of a star again for as long as humans still have on Earth are giving a sentimental answer, but that's understandable (especially now).

Obviously none of today's artists are going to reach MJ's level, but there'll be generations after this one and generations after that one and so forth. It'll take somebody who has that much talent both musically and as an entertainer (as well as a drive to be a universally appealing force), and a major shift in the way the music industry works now. I dunno which will take longer. I doubt I'll live to see it, and I'm only 20 years old.

Oh, and LOL @ whoever said Madonna is just as big as Michael Jackson.

My initial response would be no. And it's true of course in a way. Michael Jackson is only one and unique. Just like Elvis was unique, just like the Beatles were unique etc... Each in their own way.

However, after some thought, I've decided it is not impossible for someone with huge talent and under the right circumstances, who also posesses some kind of mystique and eccentricity (this is a MUST, lol) to rise above all the other artists and repeat the feat that MJ achieved in his peak. Again, that person will be unique and will revolutionalise the music industry just like MJ did. (And oh boy, this industry needs a helping hand quick!). It is a bit unlikely at the moment but not impossible.

These things are important for the generation of the next MEGAstar: right person, right time, right circumstances.
Maybe this person is born already somewhere (Blanket anyone :lol:)

I highly doubt it. Look at most of today's new artists, it's like they just sing for the sake of it and the only thing they get from it is money. Michael wasn't like that, and that effect rubbed off on his fans.

I disagree. Madonna has equally a massive fanbase and produces mania. Plus she's one of the few artists who can still sell out stadiums on tour.

I have never met a Madonna fan in my life! I have never ever heard anyone talk about her or anything.

She is a big artist, but not even close to the same level as MJ.

I soooooooooo wish I hadnt even mentioned her!

I have never met a Madonna fan in my life! I have never ever heard anyone talk about her or anything.

She is a big artist, but not even close to the same level as MJ.

Never.

I say this because for a few important reasons. Michael lived to the age of 50 yo and he was performing for 45 out of those 50 years. People grew up with Michael. People watched him grow up. He became part of their families. If people could not identify with him in his latter years, they identified with him in his younger years. I believe there was an era for everybody to love Michael Jackson.

Next, Michael's talent was incomparable. We all know that. I don't think anyone can ever match Michael's contribution to music and dance. If you look at the song and dance people we have today. . . who do we have? Chris Brown, Beyonce, Usher, Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, etc. Sure these performers sell records and are extrememly popular, but have they made the IMPACT that Michael made? Not one comes close, IMO. I mean when you think about it, acts like the Jonas Bros and Miley Cyrus cause a lot of mass hysteria amongst teens/tweens, but are they gonna be around in twenty years with the SAME LEVEL of popularity? Maybe, maybe not.

Michael also always wanted to be the best, make the best music, be the best dancer, etc. His competitive spirit pushed him to do genuis work, innovative work that nobody had ever seen before. Sure, there are always going to be innovators. . . but Michael seemed to always do the right thing at the right time in terms of his career. For example, the birth of Mtv and Michael's Thriller album. His music videos from that album shaped MTV and Michael's album might not have been as big if there was no medium for him to showcase his songs with his amazing videos.

Next, Michael Jackson's appeal crossed the world. He was accepted and loved by people of all races, religions, cultures, sexual preferences, etc. He had universal appeal and his music crossed genres from pop, r&b, rock, hip hop, ballads, etc. He wasn't really isolated in one area of music or dance. He had something to offer to anyone that wanted to be entertained.

Wow. . . this turned out to be longer than I thought. JMO!!!!! :)

You said it all beautifully. My 70 year old aunt even loved Michael Jackson.

There will never. ever be an entertainer of his magnitude.

thats really cool your aunt loved MJ. i wish i had aunties or uncles. must be nice

As far as mania is concerned, the public DO tend to get hyped up by a lot of stupid things that don't deserve half the attention.
But I don't know if there'll be another artist who can become a household name all over the world. I mean, even my grandparents (and we're Chinese) know about Michael.
Yes, I will use my grandparents as the measuring stick. :lol:

In music these days, there seems to be less of a need or urgency for real talent and on-the-spot ingenuity when an entertainer only had their own raw abilities to rely on.

There could very well be another with the talent of Michael...but talent's just one part of what made Michael so great. The thing with Mike is that he did a lot of things FIRST and he was - and he loved using this word - a visionary. Plus, his career + life story and the things he stood for throughout his life makes him truly one of a kind. Not one in a million or 10 billion - just one.

I disagree. Madonna has equally a massive fanbase and produces mania. Plus she's one of the few artists who can still sell out stadiums on tour.

I agree to a point. Madonna does have massive appeal. But I don't believe Madonna crossed every music genre as Micheal did or touched as many people UNIVERSALLY as Michael did.

Her music sales certainly don't equal his worldwide.

She's talented, but hertalent is not on his level. Michael was a marvel at childhood and many are fans just from that era.

Plus, it wasn't just Michael's talent that made him so impactful. It was his humanity, his genuinely wanting to make the world a better place, especially for children.

I wish Michael had some of Madonna in him. She has an attitude and toughness that would have perhaps helped the gifted one appreciate himself as much as his fans did and saved him from some of the parasites that tortured him. (I'm thinking of Martin Bashir right now. I saw his picture recently on some site, and it made me literally gag)

It goes like this

There's stars - Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers etc
There's superstars - Justin Timberlake, Usher, Ne-Yo, Britney Spears etc
There's Mega Superstars - The Beatles, Elvis Presley, Stevie Wonder, Prince, etc
and then there's Michael Jackson

does madonna does have an attitute and toughness. hell yeah! shes probably the only woman ive ever seen who can crack walnuts with her thighs. shes incredibly strong and muscular.

its risky replying to this because im sure ill get shouted down by michael jackson fans even though im a fan of both artists so id like to, but i just dont wanna deal with the extra grief that im sure will come my way. call me chicken

I agree to a point. Madonna does have massive appeal. But I don't believe Madonna crossed every music genre as Micheal did or touched as many people UNIVERSALLY as Michael did.

Her music sales certainly don't equal his worldwide.

She's talented, but hertalent is not on his level. Michael was a marvel at childhood and many are fans just from that era.

Plus, it wasn't just Michael's talent that made him so impactful. It was his humanity, his genuinely wanting to make the world a better place, especially for children.

I wish Michael had some of Madonna in him. She has an attitude and toughness that would have perhaps helped the gifted one appreciate himself as much as his fans did and saved him from some of the parasites that tortured him. (I'm thinking of Martin Bashir right now. I saw his picture recently on some site, and it made me literally gag)

one thing i will say though - its ironic that people who arent fans appreciate madonna for her toughness. whereas many who are fans criticise her for it. sometimes when you're a celebrity you cant win. if its one thing i do admire madonna for (as a fan) its her tenacity and ability to take chances even if they might be unpopular with her fanbase. plus for as long as i can remember shes always been there, just like michael jackson was. in the 80s it was pretty much michael, madonna and prince. and now that michael jackson has died i hope shes around for the rest of my life (which she might be cause shes incredibly healthy and a fitness freak)

It goes like this

There's Mega Superstars - The Beatles, Elvis Presley, Stevie Wonder, Prince, etc

So true!

Never.

I say this because for a few important reasons. Michael lived to the age of 50 yo and he was performing for 45 out of those 50 years. People grew up with Michael. People watched him grow up. He became part of their families. If people could not identify with him in his latter years, they identified with him in his younger years. I believe there was an era for everybody to love Michael Jackson.

Next, Michael's talent was incomparable. We all know that. I don't think anyone can ever match Michael's contribution to music and dance. If you look at the song and dance people we have today. . . who do we have? Chris Brown, Beyonce, Usher, Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, etc. Sure these performers sell records and are extrememly popular, but have they made the IMPACT that Michael made? Not one comes close, IMO. I mean when you think about it, acts like the Jonas Bros and Miley Cyrus cause a lot of mass hysteria amongst teens/tweens, but are they gonna be around in twenty years with the SAME LEVEL of popularity? Maybe, maybe not.

Michael also always wanted to be the best, make the best music, be the best dancer, etc. His competitive spirit pushed him to do genuis work, innovative work that nobody had ever seen before. Sure, there are always going to be innovators. . . but Michael seemed to always do the right thing at the right time in terms of his career. For example, the birth of Mtv and Michael's Thriller album. His music videos from that album shaped MTV and Michael's album might not have been as big if there was no medium for him to showcase his songs with his amazing videos.

Next, Michael Jackson's appeal crossed the world. He was accepted and loved by people of all races, religions, cultures, sexual preferences, etc. He had universal appeal and his music crossed genres from pop, r&b, rock, hip hop, ballads, etc. He wasn't really isolated in one area of music or dance. He had something to offer to anyone that wanted to be entertained.

Also, just the events of his life seem extraordinary. I believe that people who came in contact with Michael just always knew this kid was special and that he would be destined to do great things. I hear a lot of people who knew him as a kid say that in hindsight.

Lastly, Michael knew how to sell himself.. . well, until it backfired. He was able to create mystery about himself that kept people interested. Sure, he had the talent to back up his success. But he also created this persona, this image that made him larger than life. This attracted people to him, good and bad. He made sure that his name never left people's lips.

Wow. . . this turned out to be longer than I thought. JMO!!!!! :)

Excellent post :yes:

It goes like this

Yep. And then there's Michael.

im 17 i will be listening to Michael's music all my life because no one will beat him. all of the artists wouldnt be where they are today if it wasn't for MJ

does madonna does have an attitute and toughness. hell yeah! shes probably the only woman ive ever seen who can crack walnuts with her thighs. shes incredibly strong and muscular.

good for her. can she sing her heart out with those muscular thighs?

well michael saved the record industry. alot of people forget that. back in the days leading up to thriller, the record industry was in decline and thriller turned that around.

one thing i will say though - its ironic that people who arent fans appreciate madonna for her toughness. whereas many who are fans criticise her for it. sometimes when you're a celebrity you cant win. if its one thing i do admire madonna for (as a fan) its her tenacity and ability to take chances even if they might be unpopular with her fanbase. plus for as long as i can remember shes always been there, just like michael jackson was. in the 80s it was pretty much michael, madonna and prince. and now that michael jackson has died i hope shes around for the rest of my life (which she might be cause shes incredibly healthy and a fitness freak)

That's the great thing about Madonna. She just doesn't give a hoot about the criticism. Michael use to say he had rhinocerous skin. Perhaps, he did develop a thicker skin, but he was still very sensitive. And yet, ironically, his sensitivity is one of the reasons his music was so great.

i dunno! (g) when i saw her live in concert i was kinda shocked by how muscular she was. its all just muscle - from the arms right down to the thighs. shes like the female hulk

good for her. can she sing her heart out with those muscular thighs?

I agree. You'd be hard-pressed to find a handful of artists who genuinely want to help the world (via their music or not) and who aren't just after a #1 hit or to be on the cover of a magazine. You have artists who do lovely charitable deeds...but how many actually write music about it or dedicate an entire award speech to talking about how children are our future?
With Michael, it seemed that helping the world was his main goal...and his music was his vehicle.

Anyway, before I get too fluffy, I have to say that I doubt anyone will have the sort of connection MJ had with his fans...although I understand that any die-hard fan of any celebrity will say the same thing.
It's the fact that we literally watched him grow up, break barriers + 'rules' and experienced with him the undeserved HELL.

i dunno! (g) when i saw her live in concert i was kinda shocked by how muscular she was. its all just muscle - from the arms right down to the thighs. shes like the female hulk

saw her live on S&S tour as well... and I think she should retreat...become a model or a body builder... my humble opinion...

yeah thats true. she just pretty much plows right ahead doing whatever she wants even if her fans hate her for it. and like you, ive always believed michael was the more sensitive of the two. madonna has developed an absolute ruthlessness about her. she gets what she wants and god help anyone who stands in her way cause she just ploughes right through them.

and michael did have a sensitivity about him. people have commented that off stage he was very shy and sweet and sensitive. yet when on stage he transformed and became larger than life. ive read that many of the greats have similar qualities. i remember people used to say marilyn (monroe) in life was short and chubby and pretty ordinary looking yet when she saw a camera, any camera, she lighted up and become this great sex goddess and seemed so different from the shy private girl she was just moments before

That's the great thing about Madonna. She just doesn't give a hoot about the criticism. Michael use to say he had rhinocerous skin. Perhaps, he did develop a thicker skin, but he was still very sensitive. And yet, ironically, his sensitivity is one of the reasons his music was so great.

its risky replying to this because im sure ill get shouted down by michael jackson fans even though im a fan of both artists so id like to, but i just dont wanna deal with the extra grief that im sure will come my way. call me chicken

I would never shout you down, but I would strongly disagree if Madonna was said to be vocally as talented as Michael Jackson.

That's not to say I don't think she is a stellar entertainer because she is. I just don't think she was blessed with Michael's gifts which were evident at the age of 5.

Back