Will Justin Beiber surpass Michael’s TII? *Update Post 50*

Webbie

Proud Member
With $69 million so far, Justin Beiber: Never Say Never surpassed the $65 million gross of Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds and is just $3 million away from surpassing Michael Jackson: This Is It as the biggest-grossing concert film/musical documentary ever.

SOURCE

but... even if he gets more money... does that change at all what TII got in the genral public? :unsure: for whatever our opinions might be about it (some wanted the movie, some others didn't, etc.), we can't deny this had a very positive impact on MJ image all over the world.

Well... at least that's my opinion :)

Webbie;3283079 said:
With $69 million so far, Justin Beiber: Never Say Never surpassed the $65 million gross of Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds and is just $3 million away from surpassing Michael Jackson: This Is It as the biggest-grossing concert film/musical documentary ever.

SOURCE

I'm pretty sure he will domestically. I have to admit the producers were genuis to issue the movie with added material before it ended its run. Bieber fans lined up again to see the changes.

TII would have enjoyed the same resurgence of interest if added footage was added and promoted before the theater run even ended. I saw it 4 times in the theater, would have seen it more times with new added material. Even now, I grave other behind the scenes moments of MJ after the DVD release. I want to see every single minute they have of MJ on film, whether he's just sitting, standing or performing.

Last edited:
PCR;3283154 said:
but... even if he gets more money... does that change at all what TII got in the genral public? :unsure: for whatever our opinions might be about it (some wanted the movie, some others didn't, etc.), we can't deny this had a very positive impact on MJ image all over the world.

Well... at least that's my opinion :)

He still has that positive impact on his image all over the world. The perception is pretty universal that he had become more appreciated in other countries than he was in his home country. Plus, he still has the #1 concert movie ever worldwide. Internationally, TII made over $180 million. Beiber has made $5 million internationally.

But comparing Beiber's achievements to MJ in any regard just seems laughable, so I'll stop now.

The thing is ITT was more like a "goodbye" film to mj and was a chance for us fans to see what he did with his last days. It was also a very emotinal movie to watch, where as with jb's movie its like a life story in a way how he become into getting to the music business and who he is today.

Wasn't TII in theatre for only 4/5 weeks?

How long did it take Bieber to surpass it?

Memefan;3283202 said:
Wasn't TII in theatre for only 4 weeks?

How long did it take Bieber to surpass it? More than 4 weeks...

Yeh i think it was for 4 weeks....i cant remember

They don´t know who Justin Bieber is at my work.
I wouldn´t know if I hadn´t been on this forum.

The difference, also, is that This Is It was just rehearsal footage--it wasn't a fully finished concert. Bieber's film, by contrast, is finished concert footage of him, right? When his rehearsal footage rakes in more revenue than This is It, we'll talk.

Moreover, I am sure that in the U.S., it may unfortunately have a chance to surpass TII, because people here seem to be more easily swayed by what the media fires at them than people in other countries, for whatever reason. Internationally, though? No way.

Even if it does surpass TII domestically, there's no question as to which of the two films is more culturally/musically relevant and ultimately meaningful. Some kid who is only popular because little girls are impressionable and have bad taste in music is never going to come even close to Michael's caliber as an artist.

Mikage Souji;3283436 said:
Even if it does surpass TII domestically, there's no question as to which of the two films is more culturally/musically relevant and ultimately meaningful.

Exactly!

Time will tell whether Justin Bieber will evolve into an artist with staying power. But, for now, he's just another replaceable tennager star that comes and goes. He's this year's Miley Cyrus and Jonas Brothers.

Will Justin Beiber surpass Michael’s TII?

NO!!!

I can't believe this kid is so popular overseas. I wouldn't even know who he was if his name didn't appear in the comment section of pretty much every YouTube video.

Anyway, to answer the question: Justin Bieber's movie may surpass Michael's TII domestically, but on a global scale he has a loooong way to go ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Justin Bieber's movie been out longer than TTI? Wouldn't that factor into whether or not it "beats" TTI?

I thought he already surpassed TII? Or at least, that's what I heard somewhere. No matter if he did/does, all of these statistics don't really lend much to an artist's status in the music world. Although it is a common favourite to be brought up by competing fans.

Des anybody have the figures for both movies worldwide??

gerryevans;3283200 said:
He still has that positive impact on his image all over the world. The perception is pretty universal that he had become more appreciated in other countries than he was in his home country. Plus, he still has the #1 concert movie ever worldwide. Internationally, TII made over $180 million. Beiber has made $5 million internationally.

But comparing Beiber's achievements to MJ in any regard just seems laughable, so I'll stop now.

No.. how could he have made $5 million internationally if he made 65 million domestically, at the moment the film stands at $73.9 million, surpassing Miley's best of both worlds at $70 million, and coming no where near MJ's TII at $261 million... just sayin, although it did gross higher than both films on the first day, the sales plummeted after that.

8701girl;3283201 said:
The thing is ITT was more like a "goodbye" film to mj and was a chance for us fans to see what he did with his last days. It was also a very emotinal movie to watch, where as with jb's movie its like a life story in a way how he become into getting to the music business and who he is today.
Yes, I agree. TII will be forever something totally different and special. It's not a "movie", it's not a "documental", it's not "a concert", it's not "goodbye". And yet, it is all those things and more. I have never cried so much as I have done watching TII. And to be very honest, I don't give a damn if any other film/documental/concert/whatever gets more money or a bigger audience than TII. I just don't care at all. I just care about Michael and what I felt with TII. The rest is absolutely meaningless for me.

I miss you, Mike :cry:

I don't want to sound rude, but the World is not the USA! Who cares if Bieber will surpass Michael there, it's just one country (even if it's the biggest market for pop culture). Worldwide Bieber's popularity is not even close. Besides he's just the flavor of the month, let's see him in 5 or 10 years.

41193434.jpg

Pointless question.................

"This Is It" is an unrealised dream..................

What we got in the film was a glimpse of an absolute genius at work.............

That glimpse alone earned over $260million at the box office..............

Just image how much money would be generated if the project was fully realised and a film was made from it!!!!!!!

Back