Why is MJ so popular among the 'boys in the hood'

Those Tough guys couldn't be dancing around in MTV if it wasn't because of MJ! MJ opened the way for most of the black artists today! His respect is earned!

I so-o-o agree with this. In a way, all the HYPE started with Michael Jackson. Mike opened a lot of doors for a lot of brothers. Some of these rappers you see on top today, would not have been on top had Mike not pushed that door open further. MTV RAPS! Rap gave some of these guys an opportunity to pursue other careers outside of music--like acting, etc.

I also feel that he would have been protected had he gone to jail. Nobody in their right mind believe Mike did anything with those kids.

I so-o-o agree with this. In a way, all the HYPE started with Michael Jackson. Mike opened a lot of doors for a lot of brothers. Some of these rappers you see on top today, would not have been on top had Mike not pushed that door open further. MTV RAPS! Rap gave some of these guys an opportunity to pursue other careers outside of music--like acting, etc.

I also feel that he would have been protected had he gone to jail. Nobody in their right mind believe Mike did anything with those kids.

truth is..i agree with you.

To sum it up... MICHAEL IS THE MAN.. It does not matter if your from the hood, or from Beverly Hills.. MIKE touches everyone.

Michael dares to be different and unique. that's what they're aspiring too
and of course his music and cause he's so strong and went through so much stuff and still around

QUOTE=vncwilliam;1560855]ot well it seems that MJ is so popular that thsi server is too busy quite often while MJ seems almost dormant, while there are other artists whose sites aren't that busy when the artists are busy[/QUOTE]

^^Love your comment, although MJ is always busy whether we see (hear) results or not!

But what makes him that popular? I mean, he is very soft (I know he is tough too, but he really dares to show his vulnerability, what when I think of it, is another proof of his remarkable courage), changing diapers is not the coolest occupation for a man in general and dancing is (where I come from) not a "male-thing" (most only start to "dance" after they drunk something)...I think it still has to do with culture, but again, he is able to impress people of every culture.

Also, I think his rare appearances make him pretty attractive. To see him is speacial and precious. It wouldn't be the same if he would show up every day. I'm personally not interested anymore if I be forced to see an artist daily (not that I don't watch MJ stuff voluntary every day).
He is unique and it is seldom to see him, so people haven't an eye / ear full of him. No overload despite his enormous fame and success, that's a plus.
If he isn't around, people start to miss him. It shows that they need him. If something is always there they take it for granted.

I said what I said but I guess some of you guys got your own conclusions. :rofl:

Not trying to start anything but come on, the #1 reason is that he's revered as an ambassador to the black community (in some degree), they respected his hustle, and also, he's one of the most sampled artists in their lexicon must like James Brown was.

Real talk.

Last edited:
QUOTE=vncwilliam;1560855]ot well it seems that MJ is so popular that thsi server is too busy quite often while MJ seems almost dormant, while there are other artists whose sites aren't that busy when the artists are busy

^^Love your comment, although MJ is always busy whether we see (hear) results or not!

[/quote]

yep..lol...i know. that's why i used the word 'seems'. it looks quiet on the outside, so the media believes he is doing nothing and report it that way.

Last edited:
I'm sure it's been stated, but it probably more than anything has to do with the fact that Michael/the Jackson family started from the ground up. They had to work for what they got. It's the perfect rags-to-riches type of story. I guess it should inspire all people, not just "boys in the hood."

Then again, Diana Ross, James Brown and George Clinton can attest to the same thing. :yes:

MJ ain't the only non hip-hop artist that gets hip-hop cred. :)

They had to work for what they got. It's the perfect rags-to-riches type of story. I guess it should inspire all people, not just "boys in the hood."

Right. Their story is a true American Dream story. People are inspired by what they had to go through to make it. People in the hood and really anywhere can relate to that.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=granderson/080724&sportCat=nfl

This is Dallas Cowboys star Terrell Owens speaking of his love for Michael Jackson. Click the link and look at the video "L.Z's Cafe with Terrell Owens". About halfway through the video, Owens tells of his love for MJ and how he feels the media misunderstands him. He says Michael's appearance has changed, but the music is still Michael. Another example of a superstar sports figure loving MJ and not ashamed to admit it. Hee, Hee, Hee!

Last edited:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=granderson/080724&sportCat=nfl

This is Dallas Cowboys star Terrell Owens speaking of his love for Michael Jackson. Click the link and look at the video "L.Z's Cafe with Terrell Owens". About halfway through the video, Owens tells of his love for MJ and how he feels the media misunderstands him. He says Michael's appearance has changed, but the music is still Michael. Another example of a superstar sports figure loving MJ and not ashamed to admit it. Hee, Hee, Hee!

Thanks that was a very cool interview _ :)

It's because he is the best in the industry, he's made excellent music, has the best selling album of all time and opened doors for black musicians i.e. through MTV. That's why he gets so much respect (IMO).

Michael always stands up for the downtrodden. He stands up for the underdog. The poor people, the sick people, people who are abused, people unjustly in prison, people in the ghetto, etcetera.

That's one reason I have so much respect for him (and I'm sure others, or "the bad guys" too).

And most of them have just grown up on MJ's music. So many of us remember the J5/Jacksons days, and we're fans ever since.

No the reasons MJ gets mad love from the hip-hop community is:

1.) His music attracts break-dancers and pop-lockers.
2.) His music is always sampled by 'em.
3.) His style of wear was actually a tribute to costumes wore by Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five and the Fearless Four, but to the generation who grew up with MJ during the Run-DMC period, he influenced them style-wise too.
4.) He's viewed as a black music pioneer in the same way Marvin Gaye, James Brown, Roger Troutman, the entire DeBarge family and the Isley Brothers are viewed.

Exactly, he's a pioneer in black music. That's one thing I didn't mention. He's a legend!

And every thing else you said is very true...about the breakdancing, and his dress, etcetera.

Last edited:
Michael always stands up for the downtrodden. He stands up for the underdog. The poor people, the sick people, people who are abused, people unjustly in prison, people in the ghetto, etcetera.

Exactly, he's a pioneer in black music. That's one thing I didn't mention. He's a legend!

And every thing else you said is very true...about the breakdancing, and his dress, etcetera.

exactly. i live in one of those neighborhoods. and i've seen him pass through, via his driver...he has waved to me while i was there..and his party was held in one of those neighborhoods in a theatre..and he passed through broadway street like it was just another day at the office. so, i know this is all true.

mad respect...all the way.

Last edited:
Back