Why is MJ so popular among the 'boys in the hood'

Datsymay

Proud Member
I know some very tough guys from jamaica and columbia who loooove Michael Jackson. One Jamaica yardie describes MJ as 'Heavy', which is his way of showing maximum respect.
I remember the image I was left with when MJ was surrounded by those boys who were shielding him from the paps and showing him respect at the same time, even calling him 'sir'.
I saw a video of guys in prison showing love to MJ, he even have the love of the US army. So why do you think MJ gets so much love from the tough guys, he is no macho man.

Last edited:
Re: Why is MJ so popular among the bous in the hood

because he gets the girls running after him :lol:

lol
i dont know good question

Last edited:
It's the music, duuuuh :p

His songs are so full of emotions, which we all share.
We all search for love and the perfect friendship and we all do feel lonely sometimes. His songs are not like any other songs, they have a deeper meaning in them .. they're real.
Michael doesn't sing about how much money and ''bitches'' (Am I allowed to say that overhere ?:p) he wants to score, his music is about life, about people. That's why the guys respect him .. I think. His music makes us think about life, makes us happy, makes us cry. His music influences life's and peoples way of behaving, it reaches every heart and every nation.
I think it's fair to say that almost everyone deep inside his/her heart respects Michael.:D

Its very nice to see and hear about tough guys that show respect towards MJ..AWESOME :D :).. hahah yeah I must see BOys in the Hood again to see the shirt of "beat it" that someone is wearing. Thanks for sharing Dats. :)

Last edited:
i like what Wyclef says on the DVD Michael Jackson The One, saying guys in the hood were always wearing the beat it jackets and some had the glove :lol:

Well MJ is a bit of a tough guy himself. He's a black belt remember

I know this is morbid to say it, but I have always felt that if MJ had gone to prison, the inmates would have protected him. I always felt that way.

Last edited:
I know this is morbid to say it, but I have always felt that if MJ had gone to prison, the inmates would have proteted him. I always felt that way.
I doubt it, someone who is in jail for being a child molestor get the worst treatment by other inmates. I don't think he would have been put in general population anyway.

could be a few reasons.

* i reckon the way he sings and the stuff he sings about at times has a real blues influence, raw emotion.

* misunderstood, the feeling that may feel.

* and he might remind people of their childhood, when it was good times and MJ was everywhere.

Yeah it's true. Will Smith said in an interview that Michael Jackson kicked over his head

LOL, what does kicking over someone's head have to do with being a black belt? I can do that and I've never taken martial arts lessons.

I doubt it, someone who is in jail for being a child molestor get the worst treatment by other inmates. I don't think he would have been put in general population anyway.

Well, I think they would, because you would have to believe that the crime was committed first, and I very much believe that it was never believed by that community. Most believed that he was being railroaded.

could be a few reasons.

* i reckon the way he sings and the stuff he sings about at times has a real blues influence, raw emotion.

* misunderstood, the feeling that may feel.

* and he might remind people of their childhood, when it was good times and MJ was everywhere.
I think this is a part of it really. He really is a part of their culture.

No the reasons MJ gets mad love from the hip-hop community is:

1.) His music attracts break-dancers and pop-lockers.
2.) His music is always sampled by 'em.
3.) His style of wear was actually a tribute to costumes wore by Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five and the Fearless Four, but to the generation who grew up with MJ during the Run-DMC period, he influenced them style-wise too.
4.) He's viewed as a black music pioneer in the same way Marvin Gaye, James Brown, Roger Troutman, the entire DeBarge family and the Isley Brothers are viewed.

Last edited:
The biggest example I can make of MJ's hip-hop influence is Rhymefest's mix tape. That shows you all you need to know about how influential MJ is. On one song, Rhymefest linked MJ to greats like James and Marvin.

Originally Posted by DuranDuran

Well, I think they would, because you would have to believe that the crime was committed first, and I very much believe that it was never believed by that community. Most believed that he was being railroaded

___________________________________________________________________________________

Man they wouldn't have protected him. They would have tried to make him their b----. Real talk. Even if they thought he was railroaded, many Black people don't buy the vitiligo deal. They truly believe he wants to be White. Many people don't believe his children have his blood in them cuz they don't look mixed. Even the great Johnnie Cochran, who defended OJ, advised Jackson to settle the 93 case. Very bad advise. No matter how much money you have, 20 million is 20 friggin million dollars. Cochran knew the 30 nights in a row sleepover with Chandler wasn't gonna go well with a jury. You have to know there would be at least one prejudice prisoner that would pound Jackson in the nose and it would be over. I'm so glad Jackson didn't go to jail because it would have truly been over.

Last edited:

Well, I think they would, because you would have to believe that the crime was committed first, and I very much believe that it was never believed by that community. Most believed that he was being railroaded

___________________________________________________________________________________

Man they wouldn't have protected him. They would have tried to make him their b----. Real talk. Even if they thought he was railroaded, many Black people don't buy the vitiligo deal. They truly believe he wants to be White. Many people don't believe his children have his blood in them cuz they don't look mixed. Even the great Johnnie Cochran, who defended OJ, advised Jackson to settle the 93 case. Very bad advise. No matter how much money you have, 20 million is 20 friggin million dollars. Cochran knew the 30 nights in a row sleepover with Chandler wasn't gonna go well with a jury. You have to know there would be at least one prejudice prisoner that would pound Jackson in the nose and it would be over. I'm so glad Jackson didn't go to jail because it would have truly been over.

How come every one of your post are ultra negative to Michael Jackson? why are you here again?

i'm black and i believe the vitiligo story. it's not fair to say that MANY blacks think he is a liar. it's divided, like any other issue

and to Datsymay's original post..it seems like MJ's popularity in ANY way is up for debate, even tho evidence shows he is truly popular...fan reaction speaks for itself..in the hood and anywhere else..but..people like to debate, i guess..lol

I Think the reason why MJ is so popular with the "boys in the hood" types are due to his longevity in the business. In his lifetime he has been through it all and has recieved honors given to him that some were even created in order to get his appearance, that alone shows alot of love and respect for Michael. Respect and longevity are the two things that may mean the most to the "boys in the hood types".

I know some very tough guys from jamaica and columbia who loooove Michael Jackson. One Jamaica yardie describes MJ as 'Heavy', which is his way of showing maxumum respect.
I remember the image I was left with when MJ was surrounded by those boys who were shielding him from the paps and showing him respect at the same time, even calling him 'sir'.
I saw a video of guys in prison showing love to MJ, he even have the love oif the US army. So why do you think MJ gets so much love from the tough guys, he is no macho man.

I guess it's because they like good music..and I think every kid grew up admiring Mike...I went to the toughest high school in my area...and the guys would some break out in MJ moves and songs out of the blue..after MSG they complemented this kid in my class on his "performance" because his name is Michael Jackson also

Last edited:
because MJ has the respect and did the damn thing in a big way. he made you believe anything could happen. He is our Black Musical Superman if you will.

Back