What do you think of the full version of the Bad short film?

I like all the short films,especially the ones from the Bad album.
But a crying shame that we dont have any of them in great quality,the DVD versions are all very poor.
Bad25 documentary shows that it is possible to release them in awsome quality and also in 16:9.

Meaning they could have released the long version (or both versions) on the Number Ones DVD, but they didn't.

They could have released the long version (or both versions) on the Bad Dualdisc single , but they didn't.

Not sure what's ambient about a 28-year-old playing a teenager, but mmkay.
It's 90210 all over again.

Meaning they could have released the long version (or both versions) on the Number Ones DVD, but they didn't.

They could have released the long version (or both versions) on the Bad Dualdisc single , but they didn't.
The full length video has been released twice - on "HIStory - Video Greatest Hits" & "The Vison".

Nevertheless, people generally only buy one video or one greatest hits.

And if you're spending $8 for one song (as on Visionary), you'd expect to be getting the definitive version of the video.

Plus, as others have said, the long version simply isn't what was played on TV (although admittedly that's not a Sony decision).

If you wanted to watch a Martin Scorsese film, you'd watch a real movie, not a music video.

It's Michael Jackson music video, not Taxi Driver or Goodfellas lol. Scorsese didn't need to be on this at all.

100% this, also a good director didn't mean Scorsese can direct a musical short video, it's a completly different style, and it's clear about how mediocre Bad video is, that he is really not used to direct these kind of stuffs.

Just the way it goes from a serious drama to a highly choreographed music video was goofy lol. Goofiness isn't necessarily bad, but only when it's self-aware. "Thriller" was self-aware and it worked. "Bad" takes itself seriously, which is why it fell flat.
Maybe you just mean it was too long?

t objectifies women as trophies to be won and it endorses stalking them until they magically return your feelings.
Thinking about it now, it's the perfect counterpart to Dirty Diana, which does exactly the same thing in reverse.

I agree about the humping part though. But the rest of it is simply stuff that happened in the 80s. It's the whole basis for hundreds of romcom movies. No point in trying to get all modern and judgemental on it.

It’s a music video. You have to suspend belief. Of course the man following a woman singing and dancing isn’t overtly realistic. Jesus christ.

It's just corny lol

You could say it hasn't aged well, but even in the 80s, that shi was dated

The way MJ yells "Hey", stares the girl down, and goes "You knock off of my feet now baybay HOOOOOOOOO". It's actually hard to understand what MJ is saying sometimes, like he's speaking in another language. It took me a while to realize shamone was just "come on"

a lot of MJ music videos are just stupid lol

It's just corny lol

You could say it hasn't aged well, but even in the 80s, that shi was dated

The way MJ yells "Hey", stares the girl down, and goes "You knock off of my feet now baybay HOOOOOOOOO". It's actually hard to understand what MJ is saying sometimes, like he's speaking in another language. It took me a while to realize shamone was just "come on"

a lot of MJ music videos are just stupid lol
Well clearly they aren’t, as they’re the most respected and well known pieces of art in the medium.

What on earth am I reading.

Well clearly they aren’t, as they’re the most respected and well known pieces of art in the medium.

Popularity doesn't equal quality. His music videos, for the most part, are pretty overrated; "Thriller" is the only one I'd say was impressive for its time, although it's aged poorly (and it was always dumb, anyway). The ones before "Thriller" are just generic music videos. "Beat It" was well choreographed and shot, but "Billie Jean"'s video was stupid; the only good part was the tiles lighting when MJ stepped on them. Most of the ones after "Thriller" are simply style over substance; some good dancing and choreography mixed in with silly storylines and bad writing. Take "Smooth Criminal" for example; it had iconic dance sequences, but it's worsened by the fact it's part of the awful Moonwalker film. That's why "Speed Demon" and "Come Together" were lame, too. "Man in the Mirror" is just a generic montage of historical figures with MJ performing in a concert. "Liberian Girl" is just MJ showing off all his celebrity "friends". "Dirty Diana" is just a concert performance with cuts to some random woman. "Bad" and "The Way You Make Me Feel" are goofy for the reasons I already explained.

"Black or White" was whack; Macaulay Culkin in it for no reason, it's completely incoherent, and the ending with MJ smashing stuff was stupid (oh, and a random Simpsons cameo at the very end for no reason). "In the Closet" is just a generic sexual video. "Remember the Time" is just "The Way You Make Me Feel" all over again, but cornier as it's set in ancient Egypt ... just because. "Jam" is just MJ bragging, "Look, guys, I got Michael Jordan in my video!" "Give in to Me" is just a generic concert performance. "Gone Too Soon"'s video had a good message but it was nothing notable (and the song really didn't need a video or even be released as a single). "Who Is It"'s video is forgettable; I don't recall any dancing in it, which just made it a generic 90s music video. Doesn't have that MJ touch at all.

"Scream" is supposedly the most expensive music video ever made and is said to have costed $7 million to make, but why in the world does a music video have to cost that much? It was an alright video, but once you get over the novelty of MJ and Janet collabing with each other, it's nothing special. "You Are Not Alone" was an embarrassment. The Brazillian version of "They Don't Care About Us" was just random. The prison version was more fitting, but it was more half-assed. The Christ imagery in "Earth Song" was pretentious. "Childhood" is just self-pitying. "Blood on the Dance Floor" is forgettable. And "Ghosts" is basically a more egoistical bastardization of "Thriller". MJ really spent $15 million just to make this?

I'm sure most of us can agree "You Rock My World"s music video was awful. And "Cry" had the most pointless video of them all. The fact MJ didn't get to make a video for "Unbreakable" like he wanted was a bit of a shame, because if nothing else, it would have certainly been more memorable than "You Rock My World" and "Cry"'s videos. But it would have just been more egomania.

Last edited:
Bad25 documentary shows that it is possible to release them in awsome quality and also in 16:9.
Shh… don't dare say that on this forum. Some people in here say there is no market for HD Michael lmaoooooo

Popularity doesn't equal quality. His music videos, for the most part, are pretty overrated; "Thriller" is the only genuinely good one. The ones before "Thriller" are just generic music videos. "Beat It" was well choreographed and shot, but "Billie Jean"'s video was stupid; the only good part was the tiles lighting when MJ stepped on them. Most of the ones after "Thriller" are simply style over substance; some good dancing and choreography mixed in with silly storylines and bad writing. Take "Smooth Criminal" for example; it had iconic dance sequences, but it's worsened by the fact it's part of the awful Moonwalker film. That's why "Speed Demon" and "Come Together" were lame, too. "Man in the Mirror" is just a generic montage of historical figures with MJ performing in a concert. "Liberian Girl" is just MJ showing off all his celebrity "friends". "Dirty Diana" is just a concert performance with cuts to some random woman. "Bad" and "The Way You Make Me Feel" are goofy for the reasons I already explained.

"Black or White" was whack; Macaulay Culkin in it for no reason, it's completely incoherent, and the ending with MJ smashing stuff was stupid (oh, and a random Simpsons cameo at the very end for no reason). "In the Closet" is just a generic sexual video. "Remember the Time" is just "The Way You Make Me Feel" all over again, but cornier as it's set in ancient Egypt ... just because. "Jam" is just MJ bragging, "Look, guys, I got Michael Jordan in my video!" "Give in to Me" is just a generic concert performance. "Gone Too Soon"'s video had a good message but it was nothing notable (and the song really didn't need a video or even be released as a single). "Who Is It"'s video is forgettable; I don't recall any dancing in it, which just made it a generic 90s music video. Doesn't have that MJ touch at all.

"Scream" is supposedly the most expensive music video ever made and is said to have costed $7 million to make, but why in the world does a music video have to cost that much? It was an alright video, but once you get over the novelty of MJ and Janet collabing with each other, it's nothing special. "You Are Not Alone" was an embarrassment. The Brazillian version of "They Don't Care About Us" was just random. The prison version was more fitting, but it was more half-assed. The Christ imagery in "Earth Song" was pretentious. "Childhood" is just self-pitying. "Blood on the Dance Floor" is forgettable. And "Ghosts" is basically a more egoistical bastardization of "Thriller". MJ really spent $15 million just to make this?

I'm sure most of us can agree "You Rock My World"s music video was awful. And "Cry" had the most pointless video of them all. The fact MJ didn't get to make a video for "Unbreakable" like he wanted was a bit of a shame, because if nothing else, it would have certainly been more memorable than "You Rock My World" and "Cry"'s videos. But it would have just been more egomania.
Well that was a very succint demolition of MJ's entire videography in under 3 minutes. Well done!

It presents itself as some kind of life lesson about teens going through peer pressure in the ghetto but all the flashy choreographed dancing defeats that purpose.

The dancing is only happening in Darryl's imagination. That's why the film shifts back to black and white in the end, and you see Darryl is still wearing a hoodie. To me, that made it deeper. I used to be a kid who could flee in his imagination. Who could flee in something imaginary that was completely unrealistic... but it helped me get through something. Especially when I felt lonely.

May be the BAD video is weird for people who never experienced that. I can imagine. But for me, this was a long sought confirmation that I wasn't crazy... that more people had this, and that it was – may be – a normal way of dealing with things. I love the BAD video for this reason. I think most people interpret the story as a fight with dance and music. But I think it is a story about conquering something within yourself with imagination. That's what Darryl does: he doesn't fight by dancing... he uses his imagination to get stronger and being able to say 'No.'

Last edited:
I like all the short films,especially the ones from the Bad album.
But a crying shame that we dont have any of them in great quality,the DVD versions are all very poor.
I would give anything for a release of all the Bad era music videos in that quality. The Bad 25 documentary was perfection and I need more!

Is the short film(full 15 minutes) available in a colorized version?
For me I don't really like black and white film/movie.

Back