What do you think of the full version of the Bad short film?

I remember watching this short film over and over for months when I was little. It's no surprise that I love the clip, it's in my top 10 ^w^ I love Michael, he's very handsome in it and the concept is interesting. Between the little one who studies and when he returns home, he feels a gap between him and his friends (true story). He learned that being truly cool comes from helping others, not attacking them! If only his friends could understand it too...

So I love Bad and very good executed by Martin Scorsese (director and producer in hollywood)

I remember watching this short film over and over for months when I was little. It's no surprise that I love the clip, it's in my top 10 ^w^ I love Michael, he's very handsome in it and the concept is interesting. Between the little one who studies and when he returns home, he feels a gap between him and his friends (true story). He learned that being truly cool comes from helping others, not attacking them! If only his friends could understand it too...

So I love Bad and very good executed by Martin Scorsese (director and producer in hollywood)
Scorsese is a darned legend!

MJ was miscast as some random 17-year-old kid from the ghetto and it gets goofy when the dancing starts. You really can't take any of it seriously.

But I liked the ending with MJ and Wesley Snipes's characters peacefully parting ways with each other after nearly getting into a fight. That was probably the last time "Darryl" ever saw his former friends, who accepted that he was no longer one of them.

It's probably my favorite music video of his. I love it so much. My favorite part is after the song Bad when he does the acapella call and return with the backup dancers/other members. I think I remember them saying in Bad 25 that it was completely off the cuff and not scripted, so they had three cameras capturing it and it was done in one take.

Is it unbelievable in the sense that Michael bursting out in song and dance will show his ex-friends, who are super tough guys, that he's "bad" and he's changed and moving with his life and to respect that? No. But then again, it was unrealistic in Beat It too. It was Michael Jackson, it wasn't mean to be realistic.

MJ was miscast as some random 17-year-old kid from the ghetto and it gets goofy when the dancing starts. You really can't take any of it seriously.

But I liked the ending with MJ and Wesley Snipes's characters peacefully parting ways with each other after nearly getting into a fight. That was probably the last time "Darryl" ever saw his former friends, who accepted that he was no longer one of them.
But, in my opinion, you're not meant to take any of it seriously. It's Michael Jackson. You wouldn't take Beat It seriously either. What 25 year old random man breaks up a gang fight by coming in and dancing and singing?! He would have been immediately shanked in real life. :LOL:

I really like this full version. I like the idea of the video, and the way Scorsese realized the idea. Love Michael's acting here. And I think it's interesting that the color piece with the dancing is a dream, a fantasy of the main character to show his coolness. And the image of Michael in this black suit with buckles is just ❤ for me.

I just wonder what ppl thought in the 80s after coming from the hyped thriller era & watw. On top of bad being filmed in 86.... his skin was so different at this time but to me... its like watching two different mjs. The dance, the gritty voice, short hair to long hair (in between scenes 🤭🤭)From scary to thug was so cool to see him do lol.

I just wonder what ppl thought in the 80s after coming from the hyped thriller era & watw. On top of bad being filmed in 86.... his skin was so different at this time but to me... its like watching two different mjs. The dance, the gritty voice, short hair to long hair (in between scenes 🤭🤭)From scary to thug was so cool to see him do lol.
Same.

I think Michael is believable in the role of the 25 year old student coming out of the ghetto (he grew up in Gary Indiana....... aosuijnhujnsokjnfjirjk). And when he dances, I find it's classy and he's so sexy <3

With regards to his appearance, is it just me or does his nose looks different in the BAD video compared to the rest of the era?

Might just be the camera angles but the opening part of your butt is mine his nostrils looks quite big.

In other BAD era videos his nose is thinner? Was there more surgery between the BAD video and the tour for example.

But, in my opinion, you're not meant to take any of it seriously. It's Michael Jackson. You wouldn't take Beat It seriously either. What 25 year old random man breaks up a gang fight by coming in and dancing and singing?! He would have been immediately shanked in real life. :LOL:

But Bad's video actually tries to tell a story whereas Beat It's video is just a bunch of dancing with thugs. Bad has dialogue and comes across like a drama film. It presents itself as some kind of life lesson about teens going through peer pressure in the ghetto but all the flashy choreographed dancing defeats that purpose.
I think Michael is believable in the role of the 25 year old student coming out of the ghetto (he grew up in Gary Indiana....... aosuijnhujnsokjnfjirjk). And when he dances, I find it's classy and he's so sexy <3
His character in the Bad film is only 17, though. He's a high schooler.

I like the full version, I think it does the job of humanising Michael after his post Thriller meteoric rise.

I think he does a decent job of acting on camera, he wasn't an actor but holds his own. For me the song part is the best bit of the short film, because that's where Michael and his new style really shine

You really think between Michael Jackson and Wesley Snipew that somebody was supposed to be 17?

You really think between Michael Jackson and Wesley Snipew that somebody was supposed to be 17?

Considering that one of them is explicitly said and shown to be a high schooler in the short film, no shit I do. They're obviously not supposed to be 13-15 and probably not 16. 17-19 is the most likely age range for their characters. People in their 20s can't go to high school, at least not a public or private one like Darryl goes to.

Maybe MJ could have pulled the role off in his early 20s, but he was 28 at this time, which is why he was miscast. Most people don't even remember that the short film had a plot or Wesley Snipes as just the dancing parts were shown in most reruns on TV.

Last edited:
Considering that one of them is explicitly said and shown to be in high school in the short film, no shit I do. They're obviously not supposed to be 13-15 and probably not 16. 17-19 is the most likely age range for their characters. People in their 20s can't go to high school, at least not a public or private one like Darryl goes to.

Maybe MJ could have pulled the role off in his early 20s, but he was 28 at this time, which is why he was miscast. Most people don't even remember that the short film had a plot or Wesley Snipes as just the dancing parts were shown in most reruns on TV.
Well, I've seen 17 year old dudes that basically made me look 17, as their senior. So that's kind of an unverifiable truth.

Wesley Snipes carried the film, MJ barely even had any lines. But the ambiance of the first half is incredibly satisfying, regardless of anyone's opinion.

Wesley Snipes carried the film, MJ barely even had any lines. But the ambiance of the first half is incredibly satisfying, regardless of anyone's opinion.

Not sure what's ambient about a 28-year-old playing a teenager, but mmkay.

Wesley Snipes definitely didn't carry it, though lol. It's a Michael Jackson music video; Michael Jackson carries it. You're not watching it for the dialogue or lines; you're watching it for the singing and dancing.

Not sure what's ambient about a 28-year-old playing a teenager, but mmkay.

Wesley Snipes definitely didn't carry it, though lol. It's a Michael Jackson music video; Michael Jackson carries it. You're not watching it for the dialogue or lines; you're watching it for the singing and dancing.
Its a Martin Scorsese music video. Meaning you sit and watch.

Its a Martin Scorsese music video. Meaning you sit and watch.
If you wanted to watch a Martin Scorsese film, you'd watch a real movie, not a music video.

It's Michael Jackson music video, not Taxi Driver or Goodfellas lol. Scorsese didn't need to be on this at all.

Back