What are the songs MJ rehearsed for This Is It?

I want them to release more, in the future. however unlikely that may be.

Last edited:
He was probably going to sing about as much as he did on History tour.

Wanna Be Startin Somethin, Human Nature, Jackson 5 Medley and I just Can't Stop Loving You defiantly would have been live so that's already more than the HIStory Tour

How was it standing outside those doors knowing The King was on the opposite side rehearing and how long were you guys out there? At the time how did you even know that's where Michael was rehearsing?

We faplowed him there and it was a well known thing with the fans the fallowed him daily if you sneak past security to a specific area of the place you can hear everything.. Even Kenny Ortega talking and directing the dancers to go on stage..

I wasn't aware we could hear him so when he got there I went to go eat waiting for mj to come back out.. When I went back I noticed this guy running back and forth hearing and recording what he heard so I joined in.. Since then I learned that it was no secret.. Alberto who I talked to for a good 30 minutes said that not to share any pics or info we get because Michael is trying to keep thongs a secret.. Michael trusted the fans that would fallow him daily and they never shared recordings or info.. Until after he past away! There's multiple recordings including the ones I put up.. But some you can see fans listening in the same spot I was hearing mj on the other side.

There was a group of fans that would camp out his house every day and fallow him to rehearsal, I just drove by the house cuz I was visiting Cali and saw all these people.. Including waldo! Michael would often stop his vehicle outside the gateand greet fans before they zoomed to rehearsal.. People wouldbtoss random mj stuff in the front seat and to and from rehearsal he'd sign the stuff and security would give it back..

There was a girl who wrote him a letter every day.. Michael one time asked her are you the girl that writes me all those notes? And he told her he reads them all and loves them.

It was travis payne that said it i'm pretty sure. He said Michael wanted to sing live. And that he usually used vocals to help him, but he didn't want to use them this time. I'm not sure if I believe him though.

Sing live more than on the HIStory tour? Well then all he would need to do is sing three songs live ;)

But really, it does seem like he wanted to sing live more than he did. A good fraction of the This Is It rehearsals were with live vocals and/or partially live vocals and Michael sounded great.

I'm dying to hear Stranger in Moscow though. I've heard so many good things about it.

We faplowed him there and it was a well known thing with the fans the fallowed him daily if you sneak past security to a specific area of the place you can hear everything.. Even Kenny Ortega talking and directing the dancers to go on stage..

I wasn't aware we could hear him so when he got there I went to go eat waiting for mj to come back out.. When I went back I noticed this guy running back and forth hearing and recording what he heard so I joined in.. Since then I learned that it was no secret.. Alberto who I talked to for a good 30 minutes said that not to share any pics or info we get because Michael is trying to keep thongs a secret.. Michael trusted the fans that would fallow him daily and they never shared recordings or info.. Until after he past away! There's multiple recordings including the ones I put up.. But some you can see fans listening in the same spot I was hearing mj on the other side.

There was a group of fans that would camp out his house every day and fallow him to rehearsal, I just drove by the house cuz I was visiting Cali and saw all these people.. Including waldo! Michael would often stop his vehicle outside the gateand greet fans before they zoomed to rehearsal.. People wouldbtoss random mj stuff in the front seat and to and from rehearsal he'd sign the stuff and security would give it back..

There was a girl who wrote him a letter every day.. Michael one time asked her are you the girl that writes me all those notes? And he told her he reads them all and loves them.
:lol: ;)

Thanks for the info. I remember you posting your recordings a few years ago. Very interesting to have. And what an exciting experience that must have been for you and the other fans there!

Wanna Be Startin Somethin, Human Nature, Jackson 5 Medley and I just Can't Stop Loving You defiantly would have been live so that's already more than the HIStory Tour

So about as much, give or take a few more songs.
Most songs would probably be playback except the end.

Sing live more than on the HIStory tour? Well then all he would need to do is sing three songs live ;)

But really, it does seem like he wanted to sing live more than he did. A good fraction of the This Is It rehearsals were with live vocals and/or partially live vocals and Michael sounded great.

I'm dying to hear Stranger in Moscow though. I've heard so many good things about it.

That kinda doesn't matter though, because he would always sing live in rehearsals.

Not saying he wouldn't have sang more songs live, but the songs he always used playback for in the past would probably happen on this tour.

I wonder if Billie Jean, Beat It, and Black or White would have been 100% live or half playback.

That kinda doesn't matter though, because he would always sing live in rehearsals.

Not saying he wouldn't have sang more songs live, but the songs he always used playback for in the past would probably happen on this tour.

I wonder if Billie Jean, Beat It, and Black or White would have been 100% live or half playback.

That's true, but like its been said, Michael at least wanted to give live vocals a try. And he obviously had the vocal power to do it if he really wanted to.

/\ you're right about that,. Michael did sing live for rehearsal so we really don't know how much would be live.. But... I do remember people saying is his goal was to sing the whole concert live..

If I were to guess, it would have been different depending on the time frame of the concert how worn his voice is etc.. Maybe as he still built up the voice some would be play back while after more would be live.. And if he wore his voice out they'd bring some play back back..

P.s. i hope people know I didn't mean to type thongs. Its things... I'm on a tablet! Lol

So about as much, give or take a few more songs.
Most songs would probably be playback except the end.

Honestly can't believe your comparing this to the HIStory tour. Michael had been through a LOT (!!!!!) more since then, he was a lot older, he obviously had issues with the pressure of it all. I had tickets to the second show, July 10th which was frustratingly moved back to March 1st. During March- June I did not care one bit whether he would sing live or not. I just wanted to see Michael on stage, doing the songs we all know and love, and leaving me and 15k other people with something they'll never forget.

I really don't think much would be playback for a couple reasons..

1. From what we've heard he wanted to song the whole concerts live..
2. In the 90s artists could get away with playback.. Now days when someone does playback they are called out right away and made fun of.. Standards with that has changed!

There's no way the king of live entertainment would make a move like that under the circumstance in my opinion

Also Michael was having problems with his voice during the HIStory Tour. Fans have said he had laryngitis, but i'm not sure if that has been confirmed, but what ever the problem was you could tell that something just wasn't right with how rough and scratchy his voice sounded when he did sing live on the HIStory Tour. By the time This Is It came around his voice had healed so he could sing live a lot more

I can't remember where I read this but Michael Beardon said that Michael wanted to sing lives as much as possible this time. They thought it wasn't a good idea but Michael wanted that.

Can someone please tell me what songs in the movie This Is It were really live and MJ's voice and what songs weren't MJ live and does anyone know why they didn't use the real audio in some of those songs

BTW I noticed in the theater MJ said kick me **** me but on the DVD, of course it's different

Can someone please tell me what songs in the movie This Is It were really live and MJ's voice and what songs weren't MJ live and does anyone know why they didn't use the real audio in some of those songs

BTW I noticed in the theater MJ said kick me **** me but on the DVD, of course it's different

They don't care about us, the way you make me feel (the second part) Jam, Billie Jean, The first verse of Smooth criminal, thriller, Earth Song, Man In The Mirror, were all dubbed. I think everything else is live. They dubbed it because Michael didn't sing a lot of the time, he was preserving his voice for the real shows. The people who made the film could also have thought Michael's vocal were not good enough, so they dubbed them. Is that true, that it said "**** me" in theatres?

When they will release more This Is It footage I hope we can see Dangerous. It would be very interesting to see this:
20110116_753767.jpg

dangerous2.png

In the film, seven songs were dubbed and six were live. The only one that is a mix of both is Smooth Criminal.

Is that true, that it said "**** me" in theatres?

I'm almost positive they didn't... I saw the movie on opening day in a packed theater and I don't remember it. I DO remember everyone bursting into applause after every performance and crying at the end. Probably one of the best experiences I've had as a Michael Jackson fan.

In the film, seven songs were dubbed and six were live. The only one that is a mix of both is Smooth Criminal.
Actually The Way You Make Me Feel is mix of both. The slow intro is live but then the verse and the chorus are dubbed. Also Billie Jean might be mix of both(Michael's vocals are mostly dubbed of course).

Actually The Way You Make Me Feel is mix of both. The slow intro is live but then the verse and the chorus are dubbed. Also Billie Jean might be mix of both(Michael's vocals are mostly dubbed of course).

I was told the last part of Billie Jean is another version MJ had in the vault and it wasn't live. I was also told the Earth Song performance was the What About Us Demo

I was told the last part of Billie Jean is another version MJ had in the vault and it wasn't live. I was also told the Earth Song performance was the What About Us Demo

This demo version was used in Billie Jean:

"What about us" was used to dub earth song, and a demo of billie jean was used to dub it.

Last edited:
Doubt he reheased dirty Diana , that video shown earlier is clearly a fake , from bad concerts 1988 with added guitar rifts

So how many days did MJ wear the red lion shirt? I'm watching This Is It right now and noticed that he wears it on two different occasions during Human Nature (well I believe them to be two different occasions, although it could be the same day just different times.)

Back