What are the songs MJ rehearsed for This Is It?

mjj19582009

Proud Member
I was just wondering I've been confused some say YANA was rehearsed others say SIM was also rehearse. Do we know for sure if these songs were rehearsed or just speculation?

I think Stranger In Moscow was rehearsed. I heard that he was gonna perform Stranger In Moscow every other night in replace of Human Nature. I'm not sure about You Are Not Alone but there's a very good chance that it would have been included in the setlist

Will You Be there and dangerous were rehearsed. I wanna know too if SIM was rehearsed along with Heal The World and Dirty Diana.

Dirty Diana, Dangerous, Will You Be There were rehearsed, although I'm not sure about the others. Michael didn't turn up to a lot of rehearsals, so it is entirely possible they didn't rehearse many of the songs.

was revealed by someone who was at the rehearsals (posted on mjjc) that michael did four full rehearsal in those 4 months's. including Dangerous, Dirty Diana, Heal The World, We Are The World, Stranger In Moscow, Will You Be There, and other possibilities are: Don't Stop Til' You Get Enough (Snippet is on YouTube with someone saying ''you wanna go for it (do it)'' so it's possible, and also 'Who Is It' being as you can hear the instrumentals during the movie.

I think that this was suppost to be the official setlist (It's been a while since i saw it so things may not be 100% accurate)

1. Wanna Be Startin Somethin
2. Jam
3. They Don't Care About Us
4. Human Nature/Stranger In Moscow (Songs will be switched around each night)
5. Smooth Criminal
6. The Way You Make Me Feel
7. Jackson 5 Medley
8. Don't Stop Til You Get Enough/Shake your Body (Medley)
9. I Just Can't Stop Loving You
10. Black Or White
11. Dirty Diana
12. Beat It
13. Thriller
14. You Are Not Alone
15. Dangerous
16. Earth Song
17. Will You Be There
18. Billie Jean
19. Heal The World
20. Man In The Mirror

I think that this was suppost to be the official setlist (It's been a while since i saw it so things may not be 100% accurate)

1. Wanna Be Startin Somethin
2. Jam
3. They Don't Care About Us
4. Human Nature/Stranger In Moscow (Songs will be switched around each night)
5. Smooth Criminal
6. The Way You Make Me Feel
7. Jackson 5 Medley
8. Don't Stop Til You Get Enough/Shake your Body (Medley)
9. I Just Can't Stop Loving You
10. Black Or White
11. Dirty Diana
12. Beat It
13. Thriller
14. You Are Not Alone
15. Dangerous
16. Earth Song
17. Will You Be There
18. Billie Jean
19. Heal The World
20. Man In The Mirror

We Are The World/Heal The World (To Be Performed with Children's choir) and, at the final dates 'River Ripple' was to be performed also.

We Are The World/Heal The World (To Be Performed with Children's choir) and, at the final dates 'River Ripple' was to be performed also.

River Ripple? What are you talking about?

Also, Michael never did a full rehearsal in one go. This has been confirmed at the current trial.

Stranger In Moscow was only rehearsed by the band and backing singers. Same with Dirty Diana.

Michael walked through Dangerous on the 23rd and 24th.

River Ripple? What are you talking about?

Also, Michael never did a full rehearsal in one go. This has been confirmed at the current trial.

Stranger In Moscow was only rehearsed by the band and backing singers. Same with Dirty Diana.

Michael walked through Dangerous on the 23rd and 24th.

Michael was present on the stage during Dirty Diana.

During "Beat It" he had the cape and no towel. Also there are more red lights than in the movie.

"Beat It" screenshot from "This Is It":

I think they did only a soundcheck for "Dirty Diana".

Last edited:
snippet of the dirty diana rehearsal.

We are the world was not with Michael, it was being used as an interlude as Michael changed and took a small break.. After earth song and before heal the world..

Also what was planned was don't stop til you get enough to be a part of the Motown medly after the traditional version. That was to lead in to rock with you.. You are not alone was also to be sung..

And yes dirty Diana was by Michael for surrre!

Facts:
  • Michael never did a full run through of the show. The most songs he ever did in one day was between three and six.
  • Stranger in Moscow was rehearsed with full vocals, as confirmed by Michael's vocal coach Dorian Holley and one of the dancers. He said it was his favorite rehearsal performance and that it was supposed to be on the DVD as a bonus feature.
  • Michael never rehearsed Dirty Diana, Rock with You or Heal the World. (The audio of HTW at the end of the film was put together by Kenny Ortega using the a cappella and audio of the band's rehearsal. Also, the audio snippet of Dirty Diana that Zakk posted on the first page isn't real.) If any of these songs were rehearsed, they were rehearsed without Michael and with dubbed vocals, as he more than likely would have lip synched these.
  • Will You Be There was rehearsed to an extent, as there is video of Michael and the dancers going over the choreography to the spoken word ending.
  • Dangerous, as StellaJackson already pointed out, was rehearsed. Not sure if it progressed enough to be considered a complete performance, but in any case he worked on it.
  • As far as I'm aware, Michael didn't rehearse Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough. He simply listened to the band perform it and offer critiques, singing a few lines a cappella.

Additionally, there is no song titled River Ripple. That was a tabloid rumor.

The following is the working set list for This Is It. It was due to have minor changes here and there but ultimately this is what would have been performed on opening night.

01. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
02. Jam
03. The Drill
04. They Don't Care About Us
05. Human Nature or Stranger in Moscow
06. Smooth Criminal
07. The Way You Make Me Feel
08. Jackson 5 Medley
a. I Want You Back
b. The Love You Save
c. I'll Be There
d. Don't Stop/Shake Your Body
09. Rock with You
10. I Just Can't Stop Loving You
11. Dangerous
12. Black or White
13. Dirty Diana
14. Beat It
------------intermission------------
15. Thriller
16. Earth Song
17. We Are the World/Heal the World
18. You Are Not Alone
19. Billie Jean
20. Will You Be There (encore)
21. Man in the Mirror (encore)

Michael DID rehearse dirty Diana for a fact.. He didn't rehearse at the staple center.. He rehearsed it more than once at The Forum which was the rehearsal spot prior to staple center.

I heard it with my own ears!! And fellow fans told me he rehearsed it the week prior.

Will you be there was vocally rehearsed and was the most beautiful sounding thing I heard in person.. I thought it was play back until twice he messed up lyrics.

Dangerous was rehearsed in full.. Of course since its play back I could not tell u if Michael was standing In the dance section but I don't see why not considering that night he rehearsed several others..

When you stood at the forum where you listen in you can hear everything.. And much better than the phones and cameras picked up from fan visits.. You could even hear feet stomps and screeches. Would make me assume we were right behind the rehearsal stage but I'm not sure..

We should request this to be released it sounds amazing just reading MJ rehearsed Dangerous and WYBT! Dirty Diana would be my favorite we need this released

Michael DID rehearse dirty Diana for a fact.. He didn't rehearse at the staple center.. He rehearsed it more than once at The Forum which was the rehearsal spot prior to staple center.

I heard it with my own ears!! And fellow fans told me he rehearsed it the week prior.

Will you be there was vocally rehearsed and was the most beautiful sounding thing I heard in person.. I thought it was play back until twice he messed up lyrics.

Dangerous was rehearsed in full.. Of course since its play back I could not tell u if Michael was standing In the dance section but I don't see why not considering that night he rehearsed several others..

When you stood at the forum where you listen in you can hear everything.. And much better than the phones and cameras picked up from fan visits.. You could even hear feet stomps and screeches. Would make me assume we were right behind the rehearsal stage but I'm not sure..

Thank you for clearing this up!

great news, thank you. I'm hoping the estate will release these unseen rehearsals at some point in the future, possibly in 2019 for This is it 10th anniversary?

How was it standing outside those doors knowing The King was on the opposite side rehearing and how long were you guys out there? At the time how did you even know that's where Michael was rehearsing?

Is it true that Michael wanted to sing live as much as possible for This Is It?

He was probably going to sing about as much as he did on History tour.

No one knows, we can only guess. I personally believe he would do something similar to Dangerous in terms of live and lip sync.

From what was said at the AEG trial it seems he wanted to sing live more than on HIStory tour.

Back