Weekend News Bytes for May 2-4 (Update on post #52 for May 4, 2008)

Reeta

Proud Member
NORM: Jackson in action possibly in Vegas

Something's up with Michael Jackson.

The way it was explained to me: Jackson has been in talks with a local hotel boss who wants to make a major statement.

Last week, Jackson's brother Jermaine showed up twice at the Las Vegas Hilton in his white Rolls-Royce.

Michael Jackson moved back to Las Vegas late last year and has been rushing to finish his long-delayed new album. It was reported last week that he has been working with Akon and RedOne in the Palms recording studios.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/18481749.html

That's all folks, our News Team will come up with more "News and Mentionings" later :happy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: May 2nd, 2008 MJ News and Mentionings

Talking Shop: Will.i.am
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7373205.stm

Have you enjoyed the filming?

It just doesn't seem real for some reason. Maybe it's because I'm sleepy.

Even working with Michael Jackson seemed real, even though it was, you know, surreal, but the Wolverine thing seems like a big dream.

When will we get to hear the songs you recorded with Michael?

The new stuff? Um, I don't know... Can you switch that tape recorder off...

Heartbreaker is released on 5 May. Will.i.am was speaking to BBC News entertainment reporter Mark Savage.

Look like Michael's forced him to swear to death not to reveal anything:lol: :lol:
And u can click on the link and watch the video, the first things they ask him is about Michael :lol:

I've posted this in another thread but I think it'd be posted here 2 :) It's very interesting:)

"Thriller" is 25 - What it means to us

http://www.soultracks.com/story-thriller25

Thriller is 25. To a generation of boomers, this may seem like a period that has passed in the blink of an eye. And yet in other ways, it has been a long, long quarter century -- particularly in the music industry -- since the pre-King of Pop began his rule. Michael Jackson's siesmic LP won a record eight Grammy Awards in 1984, a recognition of both the album's artistic merit and the tidal wave of popularity it garnered. What the Grammy selection committee didn't know at the time was that it was also celebrating the high-water mark of "popular" music.

Thriller was more than a good album that became the biggest seller of all time. In reconsideration, it was a cultural force majeure that captured black, white, pop, soul, rock, young and old audiences alike. It was a metaphor for the shared American culture.

An album crossing so many boundaries seems foreign - almost quaint - in 2008. "Narrowcasting" dominates the musical landscape, with thousands of specialized music stations carving audiences into groups so small that it has become impossible to have the kind of shared American cultural experience that Michael Jackson created back in the day.

Thriller sold 27 million units in America. Those kinds of numbers are mind-boggling now, and we won't see anything like that again in our lifetime. To put it in perspective, the biggest selling album of 2007, Josh Groban's Noel, didn't even sell 4 million, and most radio listeners never heard a single cut from it. Could you say that about Thriller, Born In The USA, or Purple Rain? Back then it would be tough to find someone who hadn't heard at least three or four tracks or who couldn't sing one by heart. They were part of the common language the majority of the country shared via popular radio. So if you liked MJ, radio also led you to the different sounds of Springsteen, Joe Jackson and the Police.

Today, a new CD struggles to attract a focused target group of urban college aged men or 30 year old suburban housewives, but nothing approaches the mass audience of Thriller and its progeny a quarter century ago. We are instead in the age of choice, where my love for classic Philadelphia or Detroit soul vocal groups can be satisfied 24/7 and in an exclusive fashion. Not only can I ignore fringe or temporal acts like Maktub or Arcade Fire, I don't even have to waste my time on the biggest stars of the era such as Kanye West or Maroon 5. Instead I can focus exclusively on what I already know I like, as I listen to XM in the car on the way home to plug in my iPod.

If music serves a cultural purpose, if there really is a message in the music (good or bad), the big issue is the price we pay for gratifying our insular tastes at all times. While the purveyors of profanity-laced or violent music love to argue that music simply reflects the culture, the true power of music is its ability to shape culture. The 60s and 70s illustrate this point. Music's power at one end advanced racial equality and changed public sentiment against a no-win war in Southeast Asia. At the other end it healed culture's open wounds by singing that "Love's In Need of Love Today" and "You've Got A Friend." We understood these together. What would we have lost if Curtis Mayfield or Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young had instead been narrowcast to only their most obvious audiences?

Pop radio, while imperfect (political messengers like Mayfield were often forced to become more opaque to get airplay), was one of the great methods of mass communication during the last century. Even beyond the question of its political effect, popular music served to unify, or at a minimum provide the common language that spanned races, genders and ages.

Since Thriller, and particularly in this decade, the arrival of uberchoice has all but removed this common language (save the occasional novelty song or, perhaps, American Idol). As a country we are left with our shared musical experiences being those in the past. Consequently, talented artists today play to restricted, MBA-defined audiences, with most stuck in a demographic prison from which they will never free themselves. Meanwhile, the 60s, 70s and 80s continue to be our broader culture's musical reference points.

Look no further than Madison Avenue, where every element of advertising is dissected to appeal to the broadest relevant audience. Do they create multi-million dollar ad campaigns around tracks by 50 Cent or Fall Out Boy? No, because the vast majority of Americans couldn't identify a single song by either act. So corporate America returns to exhaust the haggard familiar, calling on the same tracks from the Motown catalog or 70s arena rock that we've heard for most of our adult lives. It is then your realize sadly: those are the only songs we all know!

Certainly the loss of this shared cultural experience is not limited to music. It pervades all of media, where choice gives us the ability to self-select not only for style but also for substantive content. Do I watch "FOX News" or listen to "Air America" for balanced news or for that which supports my pre-conceived notions?

The long term effect of this fragmentation on American society is the great uncertainty. In the political scene, at least, the short term results have been abysmal, as parochial media have played their role in polarizing "red" and "blue" America, effectively demonizing people of good will with differing opinions. And the increased media stratification will continue a sort of cultural mitosis, splitting us into thousands of mini-empires, each suspicious of those who look, think and act differently.

So the re-release of Thriller is coming at a time when, frankly, the original album's impact would be impossible to replicate. And while Thriller is arguably not even Jackson's greatest album (I'd argue that Off The Wall was front to back his finest release), it is a cultural icon, a metaphor for consensus and the broader good. It is also a relic of a transitional time, when our commonality was taken for granted and advancement was equated with additional choices.

Over the next few years when we enter an Eden of unlimited musical choice, we may find that the array of options has become the unexpected societal serpent; one that has robbed us of our shared culture, and sacrificed community at the altar of individuality. Then, when we face a national challenge where commonality would be our greatest asset, we may instead be a nation of strangers longing for the halcyon days of Thriller and other shared experiences, when we had more in common than our individual ability to choose.

Chris Rizik
Publisher, SoulTracks.com

That is a great article Litia. There is so much truth in it. The question it "Can Michael be "the shock that brings it back" as Will.i.am said. He is in a unique position. On the one hand we can expect that response to a new album from him will follow the recent trends and not be universal. Alternately however, since he already is known and respected across populations, he made be able to break down the barriers again.

I just heard this on another stations and was about to ask if any of you heard it. I hope it is true.

norm probably read the thread about jerm going to vegas and created that lol . hes hardly credible anymore.another bitter and twisted old fool

yeah it tells u nothing. just a story created cause jerms in vegas lol. anyway according to norm no one in vegas will touch mj will a 100 ft pole.he needs to make his mind up

Michael is #13 on Blender's Top 50 Rock Geniuses Of All Time

13 Michael Jackson
No longer the king, but back when . . .
Genius credentials: On the landmarks Off the Wall (1979) and Thriller (1982), Michael Jackson transformed dance music into an album genre and busted the color barrier on MTV. His self-disfigurement now overshadows his talent, but today’s pop stars still mimic his every hiccup and twirl — and 2002’s Invincible still showed sparks of greatness.
His peers agree! “What is a genius? What is a living legend? What is a megastar? Michael Jackson — that’s all.” — Elizabeth Taylor
Genius zenith: Thriller (Epic, 1982)

http://www.blender.com/guide/articles.aspx?id=120

Last edited:

yeah it tells u nothing. just a story created cause jerms in vegas lol. anyway according to norm no one in vegas will touch mj will a 100 ft pole.he needs to make his mind up

LOL! I was just going to say the samething.

NORM is the one who stated that MJ is "radioactive" and nobody in Vegas wants to work with him. Now all of a sudden, some Vegas Bigwig is going to make this huge announcement regarding Michael.

I'm with you elusive, NORM needs to make up his mind. LOL!

Michael is #13 on Blender's Top 50 Rock Geniuses Of All Time

13 Michael Jackson
No longer the king, but back when . . .
I see the media is still desperate to take Michael's title from him :lol:. Yet, Elvis will forever be crowned the "King of Rock 'n Roll" and James Brown will always be known as the godfather of soul, only Michael apparently deserves to lose his well-grounded title as the King of Pop :lol:.

And LMAO at Blender naming Eminem the 4th top rock genius of all time! :rofl: :no:

Let me add the little mj daily tid bit lmao

Today in
Michael Jackson History​
1970 - In Philadelphia, PA, The Jackson 5 made their first headlining appearance.

1989 - Michael Jackson signed autographs at a Zales jewelry store in Simi Valley, CA. Police had been called to the store because of a suspicious person with a fake moustache and false teeth.

1992 - Michael Jackson's single "In The Closet" debuted at #8 in the U.K.

[SIZE=+2]Michael Jackson Quote​
[/SIZE]

I Like The Feelin' You're
Givin' Me
Just Hold Me Baby And I'm
In Ecstasy
- Michael Jackson, The Way You Make Me Feel

Too good of a quote not to post it :lol:

Last edited:

LOL! I was just going to say the samething.

NORM is the one who stated that MJ is "radioactive" and nobody in Vegas wants to work with him. Now all of a sudden, some Vegas Bigwig is going to make this huge announcement regarding Michael.

I'm with you elusive, NORM needs to make up his mind. LOL!

Yeah. I admit I would love to believe this. But this guy bounces like a tennis ball from the extreme right to the extreme left regarding Michael and back again. Like you and elusive said, Norm needs to decides where he stands.

Last edited:

I see the media is still desperate to take Michael's title from him :lol:. Yet, Elvis will forever be crowned the "King of Rock 'n Roll" and James Brown will always be known as the godfather of soul, only Michael apparently deserves to lose his well-grounded title as the King of Pop :lol:.

And LMAO at Blender naming Eminem the 4th top rock genius of all time! :rofl: :no:

I know! The whole list is a joke.I posted this at another site too and they thought it was crap too :lol:. If any of you want to e-mail these idiots at Blender lol, here is the address:

your2cents@blender.com.

I just e-mailed them a few mins ago and let them know how awful I thought their list was. I wonder if i'll actually get a reply lol.

u put fruit in blenders and thats about it. LMAO at M&M

I know! The whole list is a joke.I posted this at another site too and they thought it was crap too :lol:. If any of you want to e-mail these idiots at Blender lol, here is the address:

your2cents@blender.com.

I just e-mailed them a few mins ago and let them know how awful I thought their list was. I wonder if i'll actually get a reply lol.
Why even bother to spread their hateful crap for them. it is like we are helping them top do their dirty work. It is best ignored. The people have voted for MJ.

your2cents@blender.com.

Thanks for their e-mail address.

This is what I'm gonna do, I'm gonna send them an e-mail and REMIND them that Michael Jackson OWNS the music of TEN people on that genius list. LOL!

How about that, not only is Michael a genius, he OWNS the music to other geniuses. That's the part I love the most. How many other people on that list can say the samething. LOL!

Adding this to the mix...

Soul Slam: Prince vs. Michael Jackson with DJ Spinna

When: May 2 : 9 p.m. - 2 a.m.
Price: $11/$15 http://attheecho.com soulslamla@gmail.com

Echoplex Neighborhood: Echo Park 1154 Glendale Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90026 213-413-8200
Which side are you on? (Credit: Muun)

DJ Spinna is an amazing DJ, period. But when he hits the decks for one of his legendary Prince vs. Michael Jackson parties, he takes it to an even higher level that reduces dance floors to wild crowds of party people having the time of their lives. Seriously, you haven't really boogied to either of these artists the way you will at this guaranteed-awesome night out.

Throwing these parties since the late ’90s, DJ Spinna pits Prince and his myraid spin-off acts (think the Time, Vanity/Apollonia 6, Andre Cymone, etc.) against the entire Jackson clan in a big sonic battle where the real winners are the bodies packed on the dance floor. Spinna takes it even deeper, throwing in cover versions, wild remixes, and all sorts of odds and ends associated with Prince and MJ. Hardcore fans of both will be blown away at his neverending array of tunes.

While Spinna rocks the turntables, the real action is happening in the crowd. We really like it when attendees dress up to rep their favorite of the two artists being channeled. So hop in your "Little Red Corvette" and "Beat It" down to the Echoplex for the party of the season! OK, that was ridiculous. I get caught up in all of the excitement sometimes. When you're wringing sweat out of your clothes after this party, you'll understand.

Scott T. Sterling is Music editor for Metromix Los Angeles.
http://losangeles.metromix.com/music/80s_new_wave/soul-slam-prince-vs-echo-park/282095/content

your2cents@blender.com.

Yeah I read that list and I couldn't believe it lol. I mean them putting Madonna, Eminem, Kurt Cobain and Elvis ahead of Michael as genuises just seems.... No disrespect to those artists but I really don't consider them musical genuises at all, maybe good performers and business/marketers but not genius.

Last edited:

This is what I'm gonna do, I'm gonna send them an e-mail and REMIND them that Michael Jackson OWNS the music of TEN people on that genius list. LOL!

How about that, not only is Michael a genius, he OWNS the music to other geniuses. That's the part I love the most. How many other people on that list can say the samething. LOL!

Damn, I aint even think about that :lol:. Good one.

Yeah I read that list and I couldn't believe it lol. I mean them putting Madonna, Eminem, Kurt Cobain and Elvis ahead of Michael as genuises just seems.... No disrespect to those artists but I really don't consider them musical genuises at all, maybe good performers and business/marketers but not genius.
It was a backhanded insult to Michael jackson. What more must this man do in the music industry to get his rightful place. If the general public were not ensuring that MJ's legacy lived on, these people wouldn't even give him a mention. Right now the whole world is celebrating his greatness, yet they have insulted him.

Last edited:

It was a backhanded insult to Michael jackson. What more must this man do in the music industry to get his rightful place. If the general public were not ensuring that MJ's legacy lived on, these people wouldn't even give him a mention. Right now the whole world is celebrating his greatness, yet they have insulted him.

Michael AND Prince too. I'm not even a big Prince fan (I like him, but I'm not a huge fan.) I do notice that Prince is always towards the end, when these types of list come out. Have you noticed that?

Although I'm not a huge fan, I do admit that the brother plays a MEAN guitar, but I guess that doesn't matter.

Michael AND Prince too. I'm not even a big Prince fan (I like him, but I'm not a huge fan.) I do notice that Prince is always towards the end, when these types of list come out. Have you noticed that?

Although I'm not a huge fan, I do admit that the brother plays a MEAN guitar, but I guess that doesn't matter.
Yes, indeed. Prince was a bigger artist than many on tha list. but obviously the list was written for a particular type of consumer. I wouldn't even have posted it on the site to help it get publicity, they don't deserve it.

Last edited:

^^^the list is headed by a man who cannot sing, but is accepted by these compilers as a singer..so...i wouldn't worry about it too much..lol

You will never find a poll that is TRUE and FAIR..

It is always intended to get the result they want..

They do it to PROVE a point.. So of course it's not FACT..

They give the poll out to a specific type people.. Debut it after a specific comment on TV/radio or whatever.. It's all TAILORED to prove what they believe is true..

U get a left wing news station as a question..

Well who watches LEFT WING news?? LEFT WINGERS..

So you will get a left wing result..

If a RIGHT WING news.. a RIGHT WING Answere..

The only way you can get a true poll is simply asking RANDOM people from multy neighborhoods, cultures, financial standings, economic level.. Hit the street without putting your own opinion or comments in.. No hints to what u want to hear.. No body gestures to show what u think..

Just the question, and answere..

U gotta go to the streets to get the truth.

Last edited:

AKON MJ MENTIONINGS (2 VIds)

1) small mentionings
2) Was asked if he was really in the studio last week

VIEW AND SHARE THOUGHTS IN THE THREAD :)
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1435178#post1435178

don't let the thread die you guys.. It's been around for SO long.. Now that we cannot edit thread titles over time.. I can never just type what conversations are going on..

Last edited:

now I am loving that...:yes:

You will never find a poll that is TRUE and FAIR..

It is always intended to get the result they want..

They do it to PROVE a point.. So of course it's not FACT..

They give the poll out to a specific type people.. Debut it after a specific comment on TV/radio or whatever.. It's all TAILORED to prove what they believe is true..

U get a left wing news station as a question..

Well who watches LEFT WING news?? LEFT WINGERS..

So you will get a left wing result..

If a RIGHT WING news.. a RIGHT WING Answere..

The only way you can get a true poll is simply asking RANDOM people from multy neighborhoods, cultures, financial standings, economic level.. Hit the street without putting your own opinion or comments in.. No hints to what u want to hear.. No body gestures to show what u think..

Just the question, and answere..

U gotta go to the streets to get the truth.

and on the streets, people turn up billie jean. i don't mean, just have the radio up already as with other songs..i mean turn it UP when the song comes on

Back