VOTE 4 Michael - MTV VMAs' 10 Best Performances Ever

Re: MTV VMAs' 10 Best Performances Ever

Michael Jackson : % 100 Music & Dance

Britney & Lady Gaga : % 80 erotism - % 20 Music & Dance...

I hope this is not in reference to the performances, because whatever you wanna say about Lady Gaga, that was a good VMA performance. She danced through the whole thing, played a piano solo and sung live. How is that 20% music and dance? Not to mention the fact there was a clear story behind her performance on how the negative effects of fame can lead to death.

In fact, thats the one thing that bugs me about Michael, for whatever reason, all his biggest most popular performances are always lip synced, Motown 25, the Superbowl, the AMAs, RTT at Soul Train, the VMAs. When clearly we've seen his amazing vocal ability. I hear different reasons for different performances, from it was the record label, to he was sick, but if it was any other artist you guys would have their head on a pike.

Still love the VMAs for Billie Jean and Dangerous, so good. Never watch YANA, makes me cringe >_

Sorry checked again; % 90 erotism, % 10 music & dance....

Are we talking about Lady gaga; sorry I don't like her. She is not different, she's trying to be different.

What Michael says; There are people on earth can't find anything to eat

"We've Got More Problems
Than We'll Ever Need
You Got Gang Violence
And Bloodshed On The Street
You Got Homeless People
With No Food To Eat
With No Clothes On Their Back
And No Shoes For Their Feet
"

than;

Lady_Gaga_Meat_Dress.jpg

This lyrics and picture shows why I'm listening Michael for 25 years... Michael is in a different league.

Actually I don't care with these competitions, votings systems. Everybody knows Michael is/was best.

Last edited:

This is a MJ board. Obviously 99% of the people here like Michael our love for his music is something that is common in all of us. But when it comes to other artists there will always be differences in our tastes and people cannot expect things like everyone here would love Lady Gaga's performance. I did not like it either no matter if she sang live. I got bored halfways through it. She's got a good voice I will give it to her, but her music is generic and boring. And her dancing was nothing to write home about IMO. Actually she hardly even dances, it's her background dancers who do most of the dancing.

Yeah, it would have been better if Michael sang live, at least the slow number, YANA, but it is what it is. We know he was an amazing live vocalist, so it's different to when someone never sings live:

Last edited:

you only talk about sales. but what a legend made is also unique performances, videos. incredible things. its the creativity, the unique that makes a legend. i never heard something special he did that looked legendary. only that he made stupid jokes about michael jackson in a video. that is not legendary. to me he is more like a court jester that made jokes about everything. i don't take him seriously.
next is that someone says he is an icon.

and when someone like rihanna or swift have a lot of these cheap downloads, that eminem also have, that makes here a legend? you know that the charts since 2000 are not the same and simply a cheating system, manipulated by the radio stations and record companies?

i understand what u want to show with this chart history. but in my personal opinion these chart sucesss, not only partly eminem, also from various artists from the last over 10 years, is not the truth.

I personally am a fan of eminem, but everyone has there own opinions. I wouldn't say he is a legend though, he is a good rap artist, in my opinion. And the album that that video is on is when he was on drugs, even eminem has said he doesn't like that album, not defending him making fun of mj though

Oh, and I'm voting, for Michael obviously :D

Is Jabz saying LG had a deeper performance just because she sang live? :blink: Unlike Michael, he didn't cause controversy for the sake of it, he wanted entertain and make people smile, he certainly achieved it.

Last edited:

Is Jabz saying LG had a deeper performance just because she sung live? :blink: Unlike Michael he didn't cause controversy for the sake of it, he wanted entertain and make people smile, he certainly achieved it.

I don't know why anybody is saying anything about michael not singing live, nobody could dance like that and sing live at the same time. Although I do think he could have sung YANA live, not much dancing there. But he was probably exhausted from all that dancing.

I read a comment from a fan on another thread here that slow songs require more vocal control and ability than the fast ones. Michael already had laryngitis and the breathing problem because of lupus for HIStory Tour, he probably decreased his vocal capacity due to any of those problems since that year.

I don't know why anybody is saying anything about michael not singing live, nobody could dance like that and sing live at the same time.

Michael can.

In fact even when I went to see Usher at the O2 last year and he performed the whole thing live, singing dancing and all. Though yes, it is an extreme rarity.

Is Jabz saying LG had a deeper performance just because she sang live?

No, I'm saying that Lady Gaga shouldn't be labeled as 20% music and dance when her performance was clearly full of music and dance.

Michael's Lip synching was just another thing I was stating as my opinion on his TV performances.

Sorry checked again; % 90 erotism, % 10 music & dance....

Are we talking about Lady gaga; sorry I don't like her. She is not different, she's trying to be different.

What Michael says; There are people on earth can't find anything to eat

"We've Got More Problems
Than We'll Ever Need
You Got Gang Violence
And Bloodshed On The Street
You Got Homeless People
With No Food To Eat
With No Clothes On Their Back
And No Shoes For Their Feet
"

than;

Lady_Gaga_Meat_Dress.jpg

This lyrics and picture shows why I'm listening Michael for 25 years... Michael is in a different league.

Actually I don't care with these competitions, votings systems. Everybody knows Michael is/was best.

i love you for this post. :hysterical:

I personally am a fan of eminem, but everyone has there own opinions. I wouldn't say he is a legend though, he is a good rap artist, in my opinion. And the album that that video is on is when he was on drugs, even eminem has said he doesn't like that album, not defending him making fun of mj though

he was on drugs when shooting the video?

i just watched this gaga erotic show. god is the horrible. btw the paparazzi is such a poor song, i never understood why are there some people bought that song. never. horrible singing, horrible show. what is so special about that?
you have to know i really watched the whole 4 minutes. so that was not easy for me. believe me. i was happy when the 4 minutes was over. i didnt felt entertained. it was simply just so boring.

Guys, Michael can sing live... But as you know Michael wants sound like on CD. We saw it in "This Is It" So Michael needs his crew to make music live. He wants his own drummer, keyboard player, bassist etc.. For a night, it's difficult to find these people. Some of them on tours, some of them at other cities... If MJ made like this, I think there were reasons.

yeah, and listen to gaga. horrible "live" is that.

Voted!!!

By the way can minem sing or does he only talk?

Despite what Eminem did in Just Lose It, you can't deny that he has imense talent. The way he raps is absolutely phenomenal and beats every other rapper past or present. He has a very strong voice and knows how to convey emotions through his music. And his ability to write songs is off the charts.

Despite what Eminem did in Just Lose It, you can't deny that he has imense talent. The way he raps is absolutely phenomenal and beats every other rapper past or present. He has a very strong voice and knows how to convey emotions through his music. And his ability to write songs is off the charts.

FINALLY ! The one person here who agrees lol People make mistakes. As I said previously, I believe he is a legend in the hip hop community. He's the best thing to happen to hip hop after PAC & Biggie unfortunately died. I am in NO WAY agreeing to what he did in "just lose it" but it was a long time ago. We have no idea what his true thoughts were in the later years when he was "sober".

Its great that MJ is rockin' the poles!

How truthful is that transcript though? Because as cited by the MTV webiste he apoligizes a little, calls Michael a great artist, but also says: "there was nothing that we did in the video that I felt wasn't true about Michael Jackson". So I'm not quiet sure now how to take this apology.

Sway: One of your other MO's is poking fun at iconic figures. When the "Just Lose It" video came out, you caught flack from some fans and other entertainers, but the most notable was the King of Pop himself. How do you respond to Michael Jackson's statement that you attacked him, and does that influence what you do next?

Eminem: Well, the way I've always taken it is step-by-step. But as far as the Michael Jackson thing, that was never intended to be anything more than just a pun. Like, the whole concept of the video was supposed to be Eminem over here doing the one-man show, dressing up as '80s pop icons, and then the club next door was supposed to be me in the "8 Mile" club.

So it's spoofing the movie, it was spoofing pop icons from the '80s, and there was nothing that we did in the video that I felt wasn't true about Michael Jackson. With you saying that I've become a target for people to take shots at, I have. So when I f--- up or I do something that people don't agree with, then I become the target. So you've got to be able to take it as well as dish it out, and if you're going to dish it out, you got to be able to take it.

Sway: Michael retaliated by speaking out publicly against you. Will you get into an exchange of words or music with him?

Eminem: No, I wouldn't. It wasn't even intended to be that way. In all honesty, his personal business and what he's got going on, I'm neither here nor there with it. I'm not the one to judge. But as far as his music, the man is a legend. Everybody out there who is anywhere near our age range grew up listening to Michael Jackson. I mean, there was a point in time where Michael Jackson was more popular than the president. People would know who Michael Jackson was before they would know the president's name.

http://www.mtv.com/bands/e/eminem/news_feature_111704/

Last edited:

How truthful is that transcript though? Because as cited by the MTV webiste he apoligizes a little, calls Michael a great artist, but also says: "there was nothing that we did in the video that I felt wasn't true about Michael Jackson". So I'm not quiet sure now how to take this apology.

http://www.mtv.com/bands/e/eminem/news_feature_111704/

Yeah right, Michael's nose falling very "truthful." That's not even an apology! :angry: And knowing he was on drugs it makes me angrier he mocked Elvis when he was guilty of the same thing. What a hypocrite asshole!

he was on drugs when shooting the video?

Well, yes, most likely, he has talked about his drug problem openly and he said he was taking everything, he went on several tv shows while on drugs as well. He had a very serious problem. Once again, I'm not trying to defend what he said about michael in the video.

Last edited:
Dorian;3893354 said:
Okay, first, I think people were criticising Eminem, not you.

And as for Eminem’s apology, I’m not impressed. How many people saw the video where he makes fun of Michael? The video has been watched almost 69 million times on his Vevo channel alone. And how many saw this interview where he kinda-sorta-notreally apologises? Not many at all. Him saying that Michael is a great artist in some random interview doesn’t change the fact that he made Michael a laughingstock in front of millions of people.

Besides, I don’t think saying that he respects Michael as an artist or that Michael is very famous is much of an apology. Making a real apology means that you fully realise and admit that you did something wrong and the other person has every right to be upset because of it, and you’re genuinely sorry for hurting the other person. I don’t see much of that in Eminem’s comment.

Btw, I’m not saying that people can’t enjoy Eminem’s music. I’m just saying that his “apology” doesn’t redeem him in my eyes.

Who does he write songs for, if Dam says he does not sing? Do you mean he writes raps? When you say his voice is strong do you mean his speaking voice is strong? When you say he convey emotions through his music, do you mean instruments are conveying the emotions, or the rap? Sorry for all the questions, but in my head singing is different from rapping, which to me is talking or saying poetry to the beat of music. I feel anyone who has a good speaking voice can be a good rapper, if they get some good music. To me the beats & harmony of the musical instruments is the key in rap & the talking is secondary.

Last edited:

Voted!!!

By the way can minem sing or does he only talk?

Who does he write songs for, if Dam says he does not sing? Do you mean he writes raps?

It's like you've never even heard of the rap/hip hop genre.

Yeah right, Michael's nose falling very "truthful." That's not even an apology! :angry: And knowing he was on drugs it makes me angrier he mocked Elvis when he was guilty of the same thing. What a hypocrite asshole!

lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Sunwalker7;3893391 said:
Okay, first, I think people were criticising Eminem, not you.

And as for Eminem’s apology, I’m not impressed. How many people saw the video where he makes fun of Michael? The video has been watched almost 69 million times on his Vevo channel alone. And how many saw this interview where he kinda-sorta-notreally apologises? Not many at all. Him saying that Michael is a great artist in some random interview doesn’t change the fact that he made Michael a laughingstock in front of millions of people.

Besides, I don’t think saying that he respects Michael as an artist or that Michael is very famous is much of an apology. Making a real apology means that you fully realise and admit that you did something wrong and the other person has every right to be upset because of it, and you’re genuinely sorry for hurting the other person. I don’t see much of that in Eminem’s comment.

Btw, I’m not saying that people can’t enjoy Eminem’s music. I’m just saying that his “apology” doesn’t redeem him in my eyes.

Very true, at the end of the day actions speak louder than words, and his actions were the video. If he relied on such low, pathetic moves to boost his profile then his music can't be as strong as people like to think, and he is a spineless individual...... He wanted the hype he knew it would generate, he thought of nothing but his own career fame, this was nothing to do with any kind of art, that to me is a desperate individual, as Stevie said, kicking a man when he's down. Others may look past it, but i see right through this man, certainly won't be supporting any musical projects he puts out, but others are of course welcome to if they so choose, each to his own and all that.

^Didn't Stevie also say Eminem was full of shit? I loved him more after that statement because it was totally accurate! :thumbs_up:

Writing misogynistic lyrics, making fun of iconic legends or other celebs even though it's past is not a talent btw, it's fame whoring.

Back