Top 10 Biggest-Selling Musicians

respect77;3218450 said:
Here is an early photo of Prince. I don't know if his skin turned lighter or it's just the lighting why he seems darker here, but he definitely had nose job.

princesinger111-240x300.png

No problem, of course, like Michael he has the right to change if he was unsatisfied with his looks. However in the light of this it's a bit funny, and hypocritical, what he sang in one of his songs:

"But it ain’t nothing if it ain’t fun
My voice is getting higher
and Eye ain’t never had my nose done
That’s the other guy… "

Wow! I really hadn't thought about how much Prince's appearance has changed. Don't get me wrong, he looks great today, but it definitely ain't all natural. Funny he takes a dig at Michael like that when it's very apparent in comparison to that picture, that the brother has had work plenty of work done himself.

Michael always admitted to having work done, but didn't like to dispose exactly what it has been. I think being unhappy with his looks, he was embarrassed to discuss his plastic surgery in detail and so only would admit to a nose job or two. The fact is, it was really no one's business and he didn't owe anyone an explanation.

Don't worry, you didn't break anything at all (except for maybe the lines of fact and fiction). Save your conspiracy theories for a rainy day. What you said is true of an industry and world from decades ago but I honestly have no idea how your response has any relation whatsoever to anything I have said. Since when did I ever deny the history of racism in America? That's right, I didn't. What I have said is that it is MUCH better than it used to be. The claim that black people TODAY still have to work twice as hard as anyone else in the music industry is simply a bold faced lie. You and others are speaking on a things that are years to decades old. No, things aren't perfect, but we have progressed significantly. So much so that a black artist like Michael Jackson became the biggest and most successful artist on the planet. Yes, black people still gotta work to get somewhere, but so does everyone else.

Yes, racism still exists but that goes for EVERYONE. Not just whites. We are not living in a black and white world. It's really disheartening how so many members at this forum like to paint things in such a limited hue. It is not just blacks who suffer injustice. It is not just blacks who have to work really hard to be recognized. What about our Asian brothers and sisters? They work harder than just about anyone and get little to no recognition and yet I don't ever hear anything about that. It's always black and white. White and black. As I've stated before and very factually, African Americans are far from being the most unseen and unheard race in entertainment. And yes indeed, black music and artists are very much indeed mainstream and popular. That's not up for debate.

Thankfully, the USA is coming around to the notion that all people are created equal and so we have made some really wonderful changes for the better. While we still have far to go, we are definitely on the right track. Why can't we ever speak on the positive? Why must we always go to that dark place? That's the exact mentality that tried to land MJ in prison. There are plenty of other topics that need much more attention than just the great black/white debate. Racism will not end until all parties involved let go of the hatred in their own hearts. Remember, black people can be racists too. I live right by Oakland, CA... I encounter racists every single day.

So instead of ignoring and twisting the truth in order to dig up and beat an old dead horse... how about we focus on more pressing issues like those who are denied basic human rights? Gays are second class citizens across the world. They are hanged, dragged, raped, and beaten for simply being who they are. What about that?

No, we don't want to discuss that, do we? Only one type of racism is of any relevance 'round these parts it seems. I am just speaking in general. This forum has had many topics focusing on race and I've always noticed how it is always very one sided. Always about the black man. Somehow, for some reason, many here project the notion that they are the only people who matter. I find it interesting how the parts about myself being a minority and experiencing overwhelming bigotry is entirely ignored. So, say what you want, ignore as you will, because I have said what I need to say and that's that. Agree. Disagree. It doesn't matter.

You can say that I have gone off topic and I will agree. However, I am no more off topic than you are anyone else. We've all strayed from what this topic is actually about and my posts are in response to fact that we are off topic. I'd be more than happy to get back on track, because I for one have said all that I can say on the issue of racism in America. I am fully aware of the situation; past and present but so sue me if I choose to see things from a more positive and all inclusive perspective. That doesn't mean I haven't a clue of what I'm speaking of. And just to make things very clear, even though I have quoted you and indeed responded to you directly at times, this doesn't just apply to you. This isn't anything remotely personal. This is a very broad response to something I feel needs addressing. The views on racism here need to broaden. It's very one dimensional.

Thank you very much for reading and responding.

... And now back to the topic.

There is no need for me to discusss things with people who's minds are clearly made up and they are very happy living with it. I am not talking about yesteryear. I am talking about right now.

Also no one has said only blacks suffer racism. Point out the post where that was said. OH, I see, it was not. However, since this topic started with MJ, a black man, of course racism against blacks is what will be discussed. Also, I agree that blacks do not have to work twice as hard as whites in the entertainment industry. As you said Urban pop/Rap is very popular. My and others' comments were directly a reflection to racism MJ experienced because of being a black man who managed to get a lot of power. People who do not have to experience something often see it in a more positive light. However, as a black female here, I can very much still see the racism.

You took a comment about racism which MJ experienced, which cannot be denied, and went uinto a whole social commentary on racism in general which is not what we (at least I) was speaking on.
Of couse blacks can be racist, (I even pointed in my comment how turning blacks against MJ was paramount in trying to bring him down. And, it worked by playing on the racist views blacks even have for themselves).
And just so you know
Gays are second class citizens across the world. They are hanged, dragged, raped, and beaten for simply being who they are. What about that?
this still applies to blacks today. The only difference is, can you tell a person's sexual orientation just by looking at them? But you can tell their race. A white gay male can walk in a store and still be treated well because on the outside all that is seen is a white male. You cannot hide what color you are. you wear it externally.
Blacks do not own the monopoly on hate. That has been kindly given to anyone who does not fit the standards of the majority. So please do not act as if anyone here is making it seem that blacks are the only ones and denying racism or hate for anybody else. That was never even implied.
But, when dealing with why MJ was not exalted and was denied the accolades of his whites counterparts, why do you think the topic should go to Asian's rights? Of course it is going to go to Blacks' rights. He was after all, a black man.

I understand that your post was not just directed at me. I just want all here to understand where many of us are coming from. Thanks. :flowers:

Last edited:
Do you share these views too? Because they are based on a lot of misinformations. For one, Michael DID write his most important and most popular songs! When I did a poll on another website a few months ago among fans about their very favourite MJ songs, about 6-7 in the top 10 were written by Michael - and solely by him.

And Quincy Jones has only ever co-written one song for Michael, P.Y.T., which he wrote with James Ingram. (The original, more groovy P.Y.T. was written by Michael and Greg Phillinganes).

-Well what i said is based on what i have heard and what i have come to understand by being a Michael Jackson fan and a music fan in general.
-No, i don't share all those views but you can not deny that what i cited are very much true outside the fan comunity.Music elitism is very much alive.
-I also think though that Michael made some mistakes regarding his musical career. And i also think that he should have been more vocal about his involvement to his albums/art. By letting other people always talking about the creative process of the music, it was like he didn't have to do anything with it. Even in Thriller 25 or the re-relise of BAD who did all the talk? Quicy Jones. Well, what do you expect people to think? Who do you expect to get all the props?The legendery producer, thats who.
When i got that BAD album i was like "What the hell Michael, you wrote the songs, you do the damn presentation.I want to hear you talking,not Jones." I say this because i have seen people and even fans say Quincy Jones this and that, Rob Temperton, Teddy Rilley this and that, and without them Michael would not have been who he is and blah blah blah.

At least you know that Elvis didn't write his music at all. So there goes your theory about why he is more respected than Michael. Artistically there's no rational and valid explanation to why Michael is not respected as much as Elvis. I think artistically he is clearly superior to Elvis.

-I agree with you that Michael is superior to Presley. I mean,no disrespect to him and his fans but Elvis was just a wonderful singer and entertainer. Nothing more,nothing less. No, my "theory" applies perfectly in Presly and why he gets more respect than Michael. If you think a little bit more about it you will see why.

As for how many cite Michael among their influences, you seriously need the take around if you think that's only "few" artists....

Maybe.I just wish they were more vocal about it. I also know this though : Many people are not willing to cite Michael as they influence due to the controversies and the fact that it is not "cool" (God,i hate that word) to be influenced by a pop artist because, as i already said, many people feel that pop is an inferior genre of music and has nothing subtantial to offer.

Last edited:
There is no need for me to discusss things with people who's minds are clearly made up and they are very happy living with it. I am not talking about yesteryear. I am talking about right now.

Also no one has said only blacks suffer racism. Point out the post where that was said. OH, I see, it was not. However, since this topic started with MJ, a black man, of course racism against blacks is what will be discussed. Also, I agree that blacks do not have to work twice as hard as whites in the entertainment industry. As you said Urban pop/Rap is very popular. My and others' comments were directly a reflection to racism MJ experienced because of being a black man who managed to get a lot of power. People who do not have to experience something often see it in a more positive light. However, as a black female here, I can very much still see the racism.

You took a comment about racism which MJ experienced, which cannot be denied, and went uinto a whole social commentary on racism in general which is not what we (at least I) was speaking on.
Of couse blacks can be racist, (I even pointed in my comment how turning blacks against MJ was paramount in trying to bring him down. And, it worked by playing on the racist views blacks even have for themselves).
And just so you know this still applies to blacks today. The only difference is, can you tell a person's sexual orientation just by looking at them? But you can tell their race. A white gay male can walk in a store and still be treated well because on the outside all that is seen is a white male. You cannot hide what color you are. you wear it externally.
Blacks do not own the monopoly on hate. That has been kindly given to anyone who does not fit the standards of the majority. So please do not act as if anyone here is making it seem that blacks are the only ones and denying racism or hate for anybody else. That was never even implied.
But, when dealing with why MJ was not exalted and was denied the accolades of his whites counterparts, why do you think the topic should go to Asian's rights? Of course it is going to go to Blacks' rights. He was after all, a black man.

I understand that your post was not just directed at me. I just want all here to understand where many of us are coming from. Thanks. :flowers:

I agree and I just wanted too add to your post:
I never said just blacks in one of my post I stated all different races and the inequalities. I also wanted to add that yes I do believe a black artist have to work harder. All artist have to work their ass off no matter what but there are different obstacles that they have to face. It's not any of the artist fault or even the record companies fault. It has to do with the public and our perception of each other. Success in the industry can be defined as, music sales, popularity, high tour gross etc... In the USA in order to get that success you have to cross into "middle America", which is usually defined as white middle class. That group is the main supporter of music. Not that other groups don't like music, it's just that, that group is where more of your ticket & album sales and etc where come from.yes, hip hop is popular but their main supporters aren't minorities. If you go to a lil Wayne, jay z, kanye(the big hip hop/rap stars) most of the people there are the "middle american" audience. For most artist, it is harder to cross from there genre over to pop because its harder to market an ethnic artist to that crowd. Thats just how it is... I'm not making that up and I don't want things to be that way, but they are. I think the music industry is much farther along than the movie/tv industry though..

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. I think any kind of artist, regardless of color, that does not do the kind of music that appeals to middle America, has to work hard to make it in the industry. There are many white artists who never become popular or mainstream. I don't think it is automatically a race thing in that regard but a genre thing.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. I think any kind of artist, regardless of color, that does not do the kind of music that appeals to middle America, has to work hard to make it in the industry. There are many white artists who never become popular or mainstream. I don't think it is automatically a race thing in that regard but a genre thing.

THANK YOU! Someone gets it. :flowers:

I know there are white artist that dont appeal to mainstream just like there are ones of many other ethnicities who dont. I'm talking about the ones that do appeal to mainstream.

Back