Top 10 Biggest-Selling Musicians

Seriously the sales of album are a little inflated for Mj but incredibly inflated for the Beatles and Elvis.His numbers are all simply wrong.
Anyway Michael Jackson is recognized officially by the Guinness World Records as the most successful entertainer ever.All is said.

I prefer believe the Guinness World Records who is a reference book and neutral since the years'50 that this site insignificant ( http://www.5min.com/Video/Top-10-Biggest-Selling-Musicians-516912313 )like Wikipedia(so many bullshit there and anyone can edit ).

Last edited:
Seriously the sales of album are a little inflated for Mj but incredibly inflated for the Beatles and Elvis.His numbers are all simply wrong.
Anyway Michael Jackson is recognized officially by the Guinness World Records as the most successful entertainer ever.All is said.

I prefer believe the Guinness World Records who is a reference book and neutral since the years'50 that this site insignificant ( http://www.5min.com/Video/Top-10-Biggest-Selling-Musicians-516912313 )like Wikipedia(so many bullshit there and anyone can edit ).

yea i think everybodys sells are inflated some... did you notice how most were neck and neck, then they jumped 300 million from mj to elvis, and the beatles. I would give them about 150 million more than mj, not 300 mill. also, how are they gonna switch sources like that??? different sources count differently. it seems like everybody else had their usual inflated #'s but mj. im not saying thats good, but dont try to play down his #'s and play everyone else's up. sometimes i feel as if people dont want to give him credit. it seems like it would hurt some to put him up there next to the beatles and elvis.

honestly, i just hate the whole album sales thing, they are so subjective.

yea i think everybodys sells are inflated some... did you notice how most were neck and neck, then they jumped 300 million from mj to elvis, and the beatles. I would give them about 150 million more than mj, not 300 mill. also, how are they gonna switch sources like that??? different sources count differently. it seems like everybody else had their usual inflated #'s but mj. im not saying thats good, but dont try to play down his #'s and play everyone else's up. sometimes i feel as if people dont want to give him credit. it seems like it would hurt some to put him up there next to the beatles and elvis.

honestly, i just hate the whole album sales thing, they are so subjective.

The problem is that the numbers of Elvis and Beatles are still more inflated that for Mj.Their labels including too for Mj claims numbers so inflated,it is a fact.I speak too for Mj if you read good.The label of Elvis claim that he sold 600 million only Usa then the RIAA (the reference for the accouting of sales in USA) say he sold even not 200 milllions there
The Guinness World Record certificate that Mj is the first entertainer to sell more that 100 million outside Usa.It is a fact and it show that Mj is more international that each other.When i went in Cambodia,Morroco and in the other place like Greece or Croatia, many people don't know not all the Beatles and Elvis but for Mj it is different.
I prefer believe the reference like guinness worlds records,ifpi and Riaa that the media who take the info often of wikipedia ,labels or even sometimes invent.Don't forget that the media love a lot the beatles and Elvis.For Mj it is an other thing.Don't believe everything that you read.They are very biased about it.
The reference for the sales in the world is IFPI it is all.

I don't hate not all Elvis and the Beatles ,i am even fan of Beatles and i appreciate Elvis.

And the greatness of an artist is not derminated by the number of sales sold.
For the popularity not too because the artist can have a big number of sales if he released a lot even if his sales by album are poor.

Last edited:
Michael Jackson is the #1 best selling artist of all time (male OR female) and Madonna is the best selling female artist of all-time. The King and Queen of Pop!

The problem is that the numbers of Elvis and Beatles are still more inflated that for Mj.Their labels including too for Mj claims numbers so inflated,it is a fact.I speak too for Mj if you read good.The label of Elvis claim that he sold 600 million only Usa then the RIAA (the reference for the accouting of sales in USA) say he sold even not 200 milllions there
The Guinness World Record certificate that Mj is the first entertainer to sell more that 100 million outside Usa.It is a fact and it show that Mj is more international that each other.When i went in Cambodia,Morroco and in the other place like Greece or Croatia, many people don't know not all the Beatles and Elvis but for Mj it is different.
I prefer believe the reference like guinness worlds records,ifpi and Riaa that the media who take the info often of wikipedia ,labels or even sometimes invent.Don't forget that the media love a lot the beatles and Elvis.For Mj it is an other thing.Don't believe everything that you read.They are very biased about it.

I don't hate not all Elvis and the Beatles ,i am even fan of Beatles and i appreciate Elvis.

For the popularity not too because the artist can have a big number of sales if he released a lot even if his sales by album are poor.

i agree. i dont know why america like to hype up the beatles and elvis so much but then they play mj down. i just hate that. why cant we celebrate all of them. i am not a fan of the beatles or elvis but i respect both.

the reason why Michael Jackson gets played down and Elvis and the Beatles are being hyped up, is SO SO SO goddamn obvious, even a blind person, can 'see' this particular reason.

the reason why Michael Jackson gets played down and Elvis and the Beatles are being hyped up, is SO SO SO goddamn obvious, even a blind person, can 'see' this particular reason.

is it because he is black???
if so, i agree. i have thought that for awhile now. they still do it today.. ex: beyonce put in all of this work and has been perfecting her craft for awhile, then lady gaga comes up out the blue and they try to put her on bey's level and she hasnt even put in the work. it seems as if black artist have to work 10x harder to recieve the same recognition that a white one would get.
(i know you dont like them)also, with a family as successful as the jacksons, you think they would get some type of recognition. no family has has that kind of success in music before or since. i bet if you switced the osmonds with the jacksons, they would treat them different. JUST MY OPINION

its sad that its 2010 and its still like that for minorities, but its the truth....

I honestly think that MJ is the one case where being black didn't hold him back (at least as an adult). Michael transcended race. He helped erase racial barriers in music and society in general. Seriously, no one could escape Michaelmania in the 80's.

I personaly don't care about he sales and i agree with you that the sales do not determine the greatness of an artist. I have to disagree with you on Elvis and the Beatles not being great in Greece. I don't know what is going on in the other countries but here in Greece everybody know who Elvis and Beatles are. But with Michael is not the same. He is not that popular here.In fact, before his death we almost never heard news about him and practically no one would play his music.

I personaly don't care about he sales and i agree with you that the sales do not determine the greatness of an artist. I have to disagree with you on Elvis and the Beatles not being great in Greece. I don't know what is going on in the other countries but here in Greece everybody know who Elvis and Beatles are. But with Michael is not the same. He is not that popular here.In fact, before his death we almost never heard news about him and practically no one would play his music.

how old are you???? because that could play into it. maybe not in the last 10yrs but im sure mj was probably big over there 20-25 yrs ago like he was everywhere else.

I honestly think that MJ is the one case where being black didn't hold him back (at least as an adult). Michael transcended race. He helped erase racial barriers in music and society in general. Seriously, no one could escape Michaelmania in the 80's.
youre talking about something different. i was not saying that his color held him back in any way, because it did not. the other poster and i was talking about why it seems that mj doesnt recieve the same respect as the beatles and elvis.

how old are you???? because that could play into it. maybe not in the last 10yrs but im sure mj was probably big over there 20-25 yrs ago like he was everywhere else.

youre talking about something different. i was not saying that his color held him back in any way, because it did not. the other poster and i was talking about why it seems that mj doesnt recieve the same respect as the beatles and elvis.

Yes, 20 years ago Michael was big but over the years his popularity faded while that of Beatles and Elvis is intact and is growing stronger over the years.

I think i know why Michael doesn't recieve the same respect as Beatles, Presley or even his "rival", Prince. First of all, Michael was not a musician. So the fact that he didn't play any musical instrument combined with the fact that lots of his songs were written by other people, immediately makes people think that his success was because of the others involved, that he had nothing to do with the creative process. And if you hear Quincy Jones speak about Thriller or Of the Wall, you get the impression that he was the mastermind behing the albums and that Michael was simply a singer following his orders.

Secondly, Michael associated his name mostly with pop music. Pop, as good as it may be, is not the favourite genre of the music crtitics or those who are seriously studing music. They think that pop is a very simply type of music that has nothing substantial to offer. That's why you see that few people cite Michael as their influence, while Stevie Wonder, James Brown, or even Prince are frequently cited as being influence to a lot of musician and artists. Well, the last three have the benefit of being musicians,have writen their own matterial and have produced and amazing amount of music that is acclaimed by critics and pubblic. Michael is acclaimed for the record sales but that has nothing to do with the quality and the importance of the artist or his music. Personally, the record sales don't matter at. If the music is not good, it will not last and the artist will be forgotten.

Thirdly and most important, is the fact that Michael's name is attached to serious allegations. Since 1993, people have known Michael Jackson only for the scandals, the allegations and the "bizzare", according to them, life style. Those allegations are enough to destroy any kind of popularity or legacy that an artist may have created prior. And the fact that Michael himself stoped producing music, enhanced this whole situation. We must not forget thought that Michael was always questioned by the critics and those who study music in general. They were always questioning his ability to writte songs, pointing out that without Quincy Jones,Michael would have been a nobody. But when the allegations came, it made their job easier. I think that Michael knew that too. I remember reading somewhere that he had ones wondered why people didn't take him seriously as they did with Prince.

These are the reasons why i believe that Michael doesn't get the respect that he deserves. What surprises my thought, is the fact that Elvis Presly was an artist that hadn't written any of his matterial. Other people were writting his songs and he would sing them.?evertheless, people seems to overlook this while Michael's career is scrutinise about anything. Strange.

Yes, 20 years ago Michael was big but over the years his popularity faded while that of Beatles and Elvis is intact and is growing stronger over the years.

I think i know why Michael doesn't recieve the same respect as Beatles, Presley or even his "rival", Prince. First of all, Michael was not a musician. So the fact that he didn't play any musical instrument combined with the fact that lots of his songs were written by other people, immediately makes people think that his success was because of the others involved, that he had nothing to do with the creative process. And if you hear Quincy Jones speak about Thriller or Of the Wall, you get the impression that he was the mastermind behing the albums and that Michael was simply a singer following his orders.

Secondly, Michael associated his name mostly with pop music. Pop, as good as it may be, is not the favourite genre of the music crtitics or those who are seriously studing music. They think that pop is a very simply type of music that has nothing substantial to offer. That's why you see that few people cite Michael as their influence, while Stevie Wonder, James Brown, or even Prince are frequently cited as being influence to a lot of musician and artists. Well, the last three have the benefit of being musicians,have writen their own matterial and have produced and amazing amount of music that is acclaimed by critics and pubblic. Michael is acclaimed for the record sales but that has nothing to do with the quality and the importance of the artist or his music. Personally, the record sales don't matter at. If the music is not good, it will not last and the artist will be forgotten.

Thirdly and most important, is the fact that Michael's name is attached to serious allegations. Since 1993, people have known Michael Jackson only for the scandals, the allegations and the "bizzare", according to them, life style. Those allegations are enough to destroy any kind of popularity or legacy that an artist may have created prior. And the fact that Michael himself stoped producing music, enhanced this whole situation. We must not forget thought that Michael was always questioned by the critics and those who study music in general. They were always questioning his ability to writte songs, pointing out that without Quincy Jones,Michael would have been a nobody. But when the allegations came, it made their job easier. I think that Michael knew that too. I remember reading somewhere that he had ones wondered why people didn't take him seriously as they did with Prince.

These are the reasons why i believe that Michael doesn't get the respect that he deserves. What surprises my thought, is the fact that Elvis Presly was an artist that hadn't written any of his matterial. Other people were writting his songs and he would sing them.?evertheless, people seems to overlook this while Michael's career is scrutinise about anything. Strange.

i think the poster was referring to his hey-day and not recently. mj hasnt been as popular recently in many countries. just as many people that site stevie and prince, site mj as an influence. mj was a musician, he didnt just play an instrument. n that doesnt take away from his musical gift. i would also argue that dance is just as much of a form of art as playing any instrument. honestly thats the only thing that seperates him from the others. actually mj has written ALOT OF music and alot of his hits also... off thriller he wrote
-the girl is mine,
*Written and composed by Michael Jackson
*Co-Produced by Michael Jackson
-billie jean,
*Written and composed by Michael Jackson
*Vocal, rhythm and synthesizer arrangement by Michael Jackson
-beat it,
*Michael Jackson - Written, composed, co-production, rhythm and vocal arrangement
*Michael Jackson - Vocal, drum case beater
-wanna be startin something
*Written and composed, lead vocals by Michael Jackson
*Vocal arrangement by Michael Jackson
*Horn arrangement by Jerry Hey and Michael Jackson
. those are 4 out of 7 singles for the album and they all went top ten(they are also the first 4 singles released.)
also on off the wall dont stop and off the wall were written and composed by him(out of the singles.) he is also a co-writer for get on the floor. on bad, he the writer of 8 out of 10 tracks. all of those were written, composed, co-produced, and arranged by him.
also not many musicians play every instrument, produce(all by themselves), arrange, lead and backing vocals, compose and do everything on a track by themselves. actually people will be hard pressed to find anyone who has done that. n if i was a producer on such records, i would probably say the same thing as quincy did. i actually think it was a group of people who made those albums. the 3 main people are mj, quincy and rod temperton.

i think the argument that he is somehow "less than them is invalid". i personally think that if he didnt break records with his music, then we wouldnt hear any of this crap. you can change any of the three out(mj, stevie,prince.) n i bet they would have treated them the same way. its okay for them to take over r&b and have great success in that genre.... but you cant cross into the pop world and reign over that and arguably have a better success than anybody that came before you. thats just how i see it. as long as you stay in your lane or "your place".. fine but once you leave that... then OH NOOO!!! we got a problem. N thats how i see it

Last edited:

Let's face it guys, none of this happens to Michael because he is black. Nobody even thinks of him as black anymore.

Let's face it guys, none of this happens to Michael because he is black. Nobody even thinks of him as black anymore.

him being black isn't the ONLY reason but its part of it. N yes people still do and always think of MJ as being black. If they didn't then everytime his name come up they would say that he wants to be a white man or he doesn't like black people. I hear that all the time when his name is mentioned.

Guess you Greek people are something else then (by the way don't mess up the economy again cuz, the rest of us are tired and fed up of bailing ur asses out), cuz honey I been living in Europe on and off and let me tell you no one under the age of 50 give rats about the Beatles and Elvis no more. I happen to have Greek friends who live in Athens, and surprisingly none of them ever claimed what you are claiming now. Ain't no way that Elvis and Beatles 'popularity' 'increased' in these past two decades, in which boybands, eurodance, and bubble gum pop ruled the first decade, and R&B and hip hop the second decade.
I can bet my life that most of the kids under 20 won't even be able to name any members of the Beatles besides Paul McCartney and John Lennon.

Granted, the allegations took their toll on Michael's reputation, but please, there is even a limit to exaggerating.
As for 'people' questioning Michael's song writing abilities, honey, are u sure this isn't you questioning and stating he would have been a nobody without Quincy Jones?
Oh and another thing, be true to yourself and admit your a troll in disguise, b/c the front you've been putting so far as a 'MJ fan' well it's not working out for you.
Few people citing Michael as their influence? You been living under a rock the past decade? ALL the current stars who're between 25 and 35 have been citing him, and only him as their prime source of inspiration since the late 90s. Like I said, there is a limit to everything including exaggerating and lying, next time you decide to make a subjective, -totally based on your personal feelings and opinions post,- remember this lil advice.
One more thing, Prince, now I love Prince, he's a fine artist, but dude hasn't been relevant or popular in mainland Europe for nearly 20 years.

Last edited:
Maybe he wasn't black to ignorant blacks anymore because 'he changed his skin color' but let me assure u he's always been a black man 2 ignorant white folks regardless of his disease which led to the change of his skin tone
Michael being downplayed the way he is, the hatred and jealousy he got during his lifetime, had to do with the fact that he was a black man who hit it big, he became bigger than his white predecessors which some ignorant folks were not able to stomach.
Now I don't agree with Gaga being hyped up b/c of her being a white American she is just the seasonal flow, same as Rihanna that girl is getting way too much credit. But with Michael things are different he was never the random recording artist from next door who happened to be a black male, he was THE Megastar who managed to cross boundaries.
There were black stars in the 60s and 50s who were popular but none of them had the impact he did, none of them became global icons with huge oversea fan followings. This guy was more popular in Europe than he was in the STates, he obviously had more white fans than black fans.
Prior to Michael no one had crossed boundaries and transcended to the extent Michael had

Of course they do................

How often does the media mention Michael's surgery's and changing skin colour????..............

And do you see a white person or a black person on the cover of the best selling album of all time??????..........

How come Michael got slaughtered by the media when he is innocent and people like Woody Allen and Roman Polanski almost never get a bad word said about them??????...........even after death they will never stop mentioning the allegations..............

Guess you Greek people are something else then (by the way don't mess up the economy again cuz, the rest of us are tired and fed up of bailing ur asses out), cuz honey I been living in Europe on and off and let me tell you no one under the age of 50 give rats about the Beatles and Elvis no more. I happen to have Greek friends who live in Athens, and surprisingly none of them ever claimed what you are claiming now. Ain't no way that Elvis and Beatles 'popularity' 'increased' in these past two decades, in which boybands, eurodance, and bubble gum pop ruled the first decade, and R&B and hip hop the second decade.
I can bet my life that most of the kids under 20 won't even be able to name any members of the Beatles besides Paul McCartney and John Lennon.

Granted, the allegations took their toll on Michael's reputation, but please, there is even a limit to exaggerating.
As for 'people' questioning Michael's song writing abilities, honey, are u sure this isn't you questioning and stating he would have been a nobody without Quincy Jones?
Oh and another thing, be true to yourself and admit your a troll in disguise, b/c the front you've been putting so far as a 'MJ fan' well it's not working out for you.
Few people citing Michael as their influence? You been living under a rock the past decade? ALL the current stars who're between 25 and 35 have been citing him, and only him as their prime source of inspiration since the late 90s. Like I said, there is a limit to everything including exaggerating and lying, next time you decide to make a subjective, -totally based on your personal feelings and opinions post,- remember this lil advice.
One more thing, Prince, now I love Prince, he's a fine artist, but dude hasn't been relevant or popular in mainland Europe for nearly 20 years.

Ok, that with the economy was a bit harsh but you are right. The goverment and the people really f@% it. I am not a troll, not at all.But i like to say things as they are.Don't like to sugarcoat them.Somebody asked why doesn't Michael get the same respect as Presly and the Beatles and i told him why i think it is happening.Most of what i wrote are not my personal beliefs but are coming from lots of things that i have read or heard. I don't like that is happening, i have quarreled numerous times with people over Michael and their stupid prejudice against him, but it is a fact. Oh, i forgot to mentiont another reason. racism

How come Michael got slaughtered by the media when he is innocent and people like Woody Allen and Roman Polanski almost never get a bad word said about them??????...........even after death they will never stop mentioning the allegations..............

Lol, it's not because he's black. Nobody thinks of Michael as a black man anymore. Michael only got the flack he did because everyone wants to bring you down when you're on the top.

Michael being downplayed the way he is, the hatred and jealousy he got during his lifetime, had to do with the fact that he was a black man who hit it big, he became bigger than his white predecessors which some ignorant folks were not able to stomach.
i agree that had something to do with it. i said in another post that you can switch mj,stevie or prince out and they still wouldve treated either one the same way. its okay for them to dominate r&b, but you can dominate the pop world and have a better career than anyone before you.

Now I don't agree with Gaga being hyped up b/c of her being a white American she is just the seasonal flow, same as Rihanna that girl is getting way too much credit.
i agree that rihanna is overrated to an extent but no one calls her innovative or a musicial genius of any sort. they say she is a singles artist with some good songs and she is pretty. most people call her a pop creation. also rihanna didnt hit it big until her 3rd album. when she first came out they didnt try to compare her to or say she was better than beyonce or even compare her to the greats like mj, prince and madonna. i dont really care for her but i will say that she was here before she hit big. lady gaga put out one album and did a reissue of that and she hit it big. people try to put her up there with beyonce when beyonce put in work for years to get to that point and to recieve that recognition. they also like to put gaga up there with legends and say she is so innovative and genius. PLEASE!!! its no secret that a minority artist has to work 10x as hard if not more to recieve the same recognition that a white artist would recieve. i would also like to add that rihanna has never been an r&b artist, she has always been pop. also, i think that since most black artist have to cross over to the pop crowd also.

Of course they do................

How often does the media mention Michael's surgery's and changing skin colour????..............

And do you see a white person or a black person on the cover of the best selling album of all time??????..........

i agree. i didnt know that john lennon was on drugs and had all of those problems toward the end of his life until i recently watched a documentary on cnn about him. it weird how its never mentioned about him. n i feel the only reason why we know elvis was on drugs is because he o.d. i will say that they talk about elvis problems more than they talk about lennons... it just seem as if they shove mj's down our throath every chance they get.

Ok, that with the economy was a bit harsh but you are right. The goverment and the people really f@% it. I am not a troll, not at all.But i like to say things as they are.Don't like to sugarcoat them.Somebody asked why doesn't Michael get the same respect as Presly and the Beatles and i told him why i think it is happening.Most of what i wrote are not my personal beliefs but are coming from lots of things that i have read or heard. I don't like that is happening, i have quarreled numerous times with people over Michael and their stupid prejudice against him, but it is a fact. Oh, i forgot to mentiont another reason. racism

i just wanted to say that i am a female. i will say that some of it sounded like your thoughts than others. thats why i posted all of that stuff to you. i understand you know though

Lol, it's not because he's black. Nobody thinks of Michael as a black man anymore. Michael only got the flack he did because everyone wants to bring you down when you're on the top.
in what country do you reside????

That's same question I am thinking at the moment..........

And I would also like to know your ethnicity????...........

sorry for the long post:
i am from/reside in the US and im african american/black. it looks like you middle-eastern descent.
im not one who likes to play the race card. im actually against it most times, but then there are times when it so balantly obvious its so funny. lets be real.. why arent there more or atleast some top artist or actors that are black, hispanic(and im not talking about the ones that look like cameron diaz. if i didnt know her last name i wouldnt know that she was hispanic), east indian, asian, or native americans??? when they are in movies they are usually typecast. some of them manage to top the music world but most wont especially if they look "too ethnic." im not making that stuff up either, there are people that have said it in the past. do i wish it was this way????? NO but it is and im not gonna act like it doesnt happen.
in the last 20 yrs of his life, mj's name couldnt be brought up without someone saying how he didnt want to be black and he was full of self-hate. also, i remember around the time of thriller 25, i was thinking that mj would get all these magazine covers and that there would be lots of specials and award show tributes but instead.... NOTHING!! i only remember him having the ebony and jet cover. if you didnt know, those are black/african american mags. i give them props for supporting him while he was here instead of waiting till he was gone to show him some love.

also, im not saying that lady gaga fame is just handed to her. she had to put in alot of work to get to where she is at also. im just saying that a minority artist will never get that kind of recognition that fast.

sorry for the long post:
i am from/reside in the US and im african american/black. it looks like you middle-eastern descent.
im not one who likes to play the race card. im actually against it most times, but then there are times when it so balantly obvious its so funny. lets be real.. why arent there more or atleast some top artist or actors that are black, hispanic(and im not talking about the ones that look like cameron diaz. if i didnt know her last name i wouldnt know that she was hispanic), east indian, asian, or native americans??? when they are in movies they are usually typecast. some of them manage to top the music world but most wont especially if they look "too ethnic." im not making that stuff up either, there are people that have said it in the past. do i wish it was this way????? NO but it is and im not gonna act like it doesnt happen.
in the last 20 yrs of his life, mj's name couldnt be brought up without someone saying how he didnt want to be black and he was full of self-hate. also, i remember around the time of thriller 25, i was thinking that mj would get all these magazine covers and that there would be lots of specials and award show tributes but instead.... NOTHING!! i only remember him having the ebony and jet cover. if you didnt know, those are black/african american mags. i give them props for supporting him while he was here instead of waiting till he was gone to show him some love.

also, im not saying that lady gaga fame is just handed to her. she had to put in alot of work to get to where she is at also. im just saying that a minority artist will never get that kind of recognition that fast.

You are 100% right!!!!!!...........I can't remember how many times I've seen "MJ specials" on the TV/internet/magazines/newspapers showing the downfall of MJ..............they start off with J5, then OTW then Thriller........and then they show a recent Michael and ask what went wrong???............

That's their way of hinting he didn't want to be black any more and that was his downfall.............

BTW.........I'm British born but of Indian parents...........

I'm Canadian.

Why does my ethnicity matter to you? Would it make anything different?

Because the circumstances you are brought up in helps determine your outlook on the Would around you..........

Because the circumstances you are brought up in helps determine your outlook on the Would around you..........

I am a black man from Canada. My family came from Jamaica on my Dad's side, and no-one knows much about my Mom because she was adopted.

Is that better? :)

I'm sorry, but saying that black artists have to work twice as hard in the music business is rather hilarious. It was once very true but not anymore. The music world today is dominated by black artists. Hip-hop/rap is mainstream. The current musical darling is Nicki Minaj. If we were in a past decade, I'd agree with you, but MJ broke down those doors many years ago. Don't get me wrong, racism is very real and still and always will be a thorn, but in the music industry? Come on! This ain't 1957. It's 2011 and the most successful and influential artists are of african decent. Talk about "keeping it real", that's keeping it real.

Why must the proverbial race card always be played? Trust me, the music world is far less concerned with color than the folks here are. Learn from history but don't hold on to it. How is the world ever supposed to "make that change" if no one is willing to let go and stop brow beating one another? We're all just human and blacks aren't the only race to bare witness to injustice. Hell, blacks aren't even close to being the most unseen and unheard minority in entertainment. Where's Asian representation? They ain't on my tv and certainly not on my radio. Very few and far between. Hispanics? Indians? I'm only trying to make a point and get us back on track. This ain't about who had it the worst. You can get mad at me all y'all want, but I'm just as validated to have a voice as anyone else.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but saying that black artists have to work twice as hard in the music business is rather hilarious. It was once very true but not anymore. The music world today is dominated by black artists. Hip-hop/rap is mainstream. The current musical darling is Nicki Minaj. If we were in a past decade, I'd agree with you, but MJ broke down those doors many years ago. Don't get me wrong, racism is very real and still and always will be a thorn, but in the music industry? Come on! This ain't 1957. It's 2011 and the most successful and influential artists are of african decent. Talk about "keeping it real", that's keeping it real.

Why must the proverbial race card always be played? Trust me, the music world is far less concerned with color than the folks here are. Learn from history but don't hold on to it. How is the world ever supposed to "make that change" if no one is willing to let go and stop brow beating one another? We're all just human and blacks aren't the only race to bare witness to injustice. Hell, blacks aren't even close to being the most unseen and unheard minority in entertainment. Where's Asian representation? They ain't on my tv and certainly not on my radio. Very few and far between. Hispanics? Indians? I'm only trying to make a point and get us back on track. This ain't about who had it the worst. You can get mad at me all y'all want, but I'm just as validated to have a voice as anyone else.

Thanks.

Trust me, racism still occurs in the industry. I HATE it when I see comments like this because it shows that you have no idea what's going on in the industry or in the world of minorities.

Second of all, the most successful artists in all time are The Beatles, Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson, ABBA, Madonna, Led Zeppelin and Queen. One black artist. Only one of the most influential artists ever are of African descent.

Third of all, hip-hop/rap being mainstream has nothing to do with black people. Hip-hop/rap is not a black genre. That's just laughable. The best-selling hip-hop/artist is Eminem, a white rapper. Funny.

Michael didn't break down any doors. That's ludicrous. Even if he did, he lost all respect when he turned white due to his so-called "skin bleaching".

Also, why would you think that racism is still a thorn in the side everywhere but in the music industry? What makes the industry exempt from that? Racism is still everywhere and is very rampant in the industry. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean that it doesn't exists.

Comments like this annoy me.

Back