Today´s NBC Article: Jackson changed the music industry the way Elvis, Beatles did before him

Justice!

Proud Member
MJ’s ‘Thriller’ still a classic after 25 years
Jackson changed the music industry the way Elvis, Beatles did before him

updated 11:22 a.m. ET April 24, 2008

What Michael Jackson has become hasn’t changed what he was 25 years ago, when he was riding the greatest album ever made and making the music video that would change forever the way we thought about both.

It was one of those defining moments that come along once in a generation, and those who witnessed it when they were young and impressionable will never forget. Elvis Presley had done that when he gyrated his pelvis and belted out his blues-influenced rock a half century ago. A generation later, it was the Beatles ushering in another deathless sound.

And then it was 1983, and the man who burned his image and his music into young and febrile minds was Michael Jackson. If you were young then, the “Thriller” video and Jackson’s music became part of your DNA.:punk:

But even if you were older, you knew when you turned on MTV and saw Jackson’s breathtaking performance that you were seeing something that had never been seen before.

Many would say that the likes of “Thriller” hasn’t been seen since, either.

Not just another Jackson. Jackson was no musical ingénue. He’d practically been born with a microphone in his mouth :punk:, a cute, button-nosed boy with a voice so high and clear and penetrating it seemed on loan from heaven. He was just 11 when he debuted, and he was surrounded by his singing siblings, the Jackson 5. But as good as that group was, he was the star of the show.

He had emerged from the family shadow in 1979 with the release of his first album, “Off the Wall,” the first ever to contribute four singles to the Top 10 charts. The album would sell 20 million copies over the years, but Jackson and his co-producer Quincy Jones felt they could do better.

The vehicle that Jackson would use hadn’t even been born yet, but when MTV debuted on the burgeoning cable menu in 1981, he saw the potential of a new medium in ways that no one else did.

The album “Thriller” was released late in 1982 to breathless reviews for the pioneering work of the 24-year-old superstar.

“Rather than reheating ‘Off the Wall’s’ agreeably mindless funk, Jackson has cooked up a zesty LP whose up-tempo workouts don't obscure its harrowing, dark messages,” wrote Rolling Stone. “Jackson's new attitude gives ‘Thriller’ a deeper, if less visceral, emotional urgency than any of his previous work, and marks another watershed in the creative development of this prodigiously talented performer.”

Even NPR checked in with a review that included this declaration: “Where lesser artists need a string section or a lusty blast from a synthesizer, Jackson need only sing to convey deep, heartfelt emotion.”

“Thriller” would become the best-selling album of original music ever recorded, a title it holds to this day. It remained atop the charts for an incredible 37 weeks. There were nine tracks on the record and seven of them went Top 10, including “Thriller,” “Beat It” and “Billie Jean.”

A watershed moment for the industry
But the best was yet to come. MTV played mostly music videos in those early days, but no one had yet considered the possibility of merging filmmaking and music in the way that Jackson envisioned. With co-producer Jones, Jackson enlisted John Landis, the brilliant writer/director whose credits at the time included “Kentucky Fried Movie,” “Animal House,” “The Blues Brothers” and “American Werewolf in London” to direct what many believe remains the greatest music video ever.

The video would run 14 minutes, essentially a miniature feature film that cost $800,000 to make — an astonishing figure at the time. Vincent Price, the master of the horror movie, was brought in to do a sinister rap under the music.

“Thriller” is a horror movie that turns out to be a dream that turns out to be maybe not a dream after all. It begins with a young couple — apparently of high school age — walking late at night. Jackson, whose skin was not yet bleached and whose features still resembled a normal human being’s, wears a wide-shouldered, red leather jacket, red leather pants and his trademark white socks. His date, Ola Ray, wears tight, calf-length jeans and a sweater straight out of “Grease.”

The fun starts with the full moon rising and Jackson telling Ray, “I’m not like other guys.”

The line has been repeated often over the years, the irony growing with each new episode in his life. “It’s close to midnight. Something evil’s lurking in the dark,” he warns her.

The something is him. Landis did a takeoff of “American Werewolf in London” to transform Jackson into something resembling more a werecat than a werewolf. Ray spends a lot of the video running and shrieking, pursued first by the yellow-eyed feline and then by an army of zombies. Like all self-respecting undead, the zombies can barely put one foot in front of the other when walking, but man, can they dance.

Along the way, we learn that Jackson and Ray are watching the action in a movie, and then they’re not. Finally, she awakes from a dream, but it ends with Jackson’s eyes flashing yellow feline slits.

You watched it for the brilliant music. Kids danced in front of their televisions when Mom and Dad weren’t looking, trying to capture even a fraction of Jackson’s grace and power. And through it all was that heart-stopping plot.

The video sold more than a million copies, and every year Lexington, Ky., turns its downtown over to a reenactment of the video performed by its fans-for-life.

As Mike Joseph wrote for PopMatters.com: “Twenty-five years after ‘Thriller’s’ original release, amidst everything that’s gone on in Michael Jackson’s crazy, insane, screwed-up life, this album still makes people smile, the grooves still make people dance, and the videos still make people stop and stare in awe. This, folks, is where the mere pop stars get separated from the legends. Times may change, music may change, but ‘Thriller’ is one of those few iconic records whose influence seems to be prevalent no matter the climate.”

See the video:

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/thriller-turns-25/1049154794

Last edited:
"Jackson, whose skin was not yet bleached and whose features still resembled a normal human being’s..."

FUKK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:punk::punk::punk:

Last edited:
ok, i didnt read that line in the article ... did I totally miss it ?? :huh:

Well it's not your or the poster's fault. I just had to comment on that part. Cause THEY CAN'T LIVE without saying sh!t about him, it's in their BLOOD!

Michael has forced them to recognise his contribution to music, but they seek to dehumanise him in the process with their racist taunt, as someone said, they would never make him be better than elvis.

Last edited:
Michael has forced them to recognise his contribution to music, but they seek to dehumanise him in the process with their racist taunt, as someone said, they would never make him be better than elvis.

of course. they always concentrate rather on his "bizarre" private life than his music.

Point correct it is very racist which i why i ignore most articles written about Michael. He is a black man with a skin disease that has taken it's toll on him to ignore that is blatantly ignorant and bigoted in nature.

seriously, i did not read that line in the article. am i missing it ??

Point correct it is very racist which i why i ignore most articles written about Michael. He is a black man with a skin disease that has taken it's toll on him to ignore that is blatantly ignorant and bigoted in nature.
Absolutely. They do it to minimise the effect he had on the music industry. To even include the beatles and Elvis with him is an insult. They impacted the music, but they did not revolutionise anything. Esp Elvis. Had Elvis did what Michael did, they would not be puting Michael up there with him. I am glad that Youtube is there for people to see for themselves.

OK, i must have sub-consciously ignored that line :giggle: I have read the article four times now and not found that line. I like the article the way I read it :lol: Why you all got to point out the negative line in there :eviltongue: :giggle:

**covers eyes**
you can't make me read ... it ain't there :eviltongue: :giggle:

**singing**
Smile, though your heart is achin'
Smile, even though itz breakin'

La da da, la da da da da da daaaaa

Absolutely. They do it to minimise the effect he had on the music industry. To even include the beatles and Elvis with him is an insult. They impacted the music, but they did not revolutionise anything. Esp Elvis. Had Elvis did what Michael did, they would not be puting Michael up there with him. I am glad that Youtube is there for people to see for themselves.
I don't know about Elvis, but The Beatles did revolutionalize music. Before them pop acts were mainly singles based. Beatles popularized writing your own material, concept albums, etc. Elvis just copied Jackie Wilson mainly.

To have the likes of the Beatles and Elvis mentioned in the same line as Michael Jackson is an insult, HE'S MUCH BIGGER, BETTER AND BADDER THEN THEM!!! :pth:

:innocent:

It's odd that MJ talks about "Heal The World", but yet some fans are very bigoted against other acts.

I don't know about Elvis, but The Beatles did revolutionalize music. Before them pop acts were mainly singles based. Beatles popularized writing your own material, concept albums, etc. Elvis just copied Jackie Wilson mainly.
Yes, I recognise that the Beatles did a lot of beautiful songs and they are still very popular today. I loved John Lennon, he influenced a lot of people. For the article to say that Elvis revolutionsed the music industry with his 'swaying hips', is an insult to people like Jackie Wilson and James Brown, Lottle Richard and many other. had Michael Jackson did what Elvis did, they would not have put his name up there with Elvis. MJ must have been 10 times greater than Elvis for them to call him Elvis' equal. Oh, how that must have hurt. No wonder he sought to dehumanise MJ in the process.Elvis didn't look that great before he died but there was no mention of his features.

Elvis didn't look that great before he died but there was no mention of his features.

Yeah, but there were a lot of toilet and fat Elvis jokes, and several of his entourage writing non-flattering books about Elvis.

It's odd that MJ talks about "Heal The World", but yet some fans are very bigoted against other acts.
There shall be no healing where lies prevail. The media needs to give MJ his respect. The people in the music industry know the truth. The public know the truth. It is the media that is still lying to the public. They need to stop or they will be know healing for them. MJ is 10 times bigger than Elvis. Had the reverse been true they would not even been mentioning MJ. They hardly want to mention him now. MJ saved the music industry twice and he is doing it again as we speak.

well, to be fair ... i have heard my share of Elvis jokes in my time :giggle:

There shall be no healing where lies prevail. The media needs to give MJ his respect. The people in the music industry know the truth. The public know the truth. It is the media that is still lying to the public. They need to stop or they will be know healing for them. MJ is 10 times bigger than Elvis. Had the reverse been true they would not even been mentioning MJ. They hardly want to mention him now. MJ saved the music industry twice and he is doing it again as we speak.

Just because you don't like the media, doesn't mean someone should trash other acts. That's like someone saying "I don't like whites because of the KKK". You can't be a hypocrite and say "Love Michael, but hate everybody else".

well, to be fair ... i have heard my share of Elvis jokes in my time :giggle:
The media was very hard on Elvis as they have always been on very big stars. All the greats have been buffetted by the media. Liz Taylor was laughed at and ridicule because of her multiple divorces at a time when it wasn't so privalent. Dolly Parton was ridiculed. Mohammed Ali, Oprah Winfrey, The media was always nasty. The trouble is that they have used MJ's medical issues to hit at him, and that is a new low in my book. I have no respect for them at all. I hope people watched the video I posted cause it is obvious that they have a problem and they know it.

Last edited:
The media was very hard on Elvis as they have always been on very big stars. All the greats have been buffetted by the media. Liz Taylor was laughed at and ridicule because of her multiple divorces at a time when it wasn't so privalent. Dolly Parton was ridiculed. Mohammed Ali, Oprah Winfrey, The media was always nasty. The trouble is that they have used MJ's medical issues to hit at him, and that is a new low in my book. I have no respect for them at all. I hope people watched the video I posted cause it is obvious that they have a problem and they know it.

What video?

OK, i must have sub-consciously ignored that line :giggle: I have read the article four times now and not found that line. I like the article the way I read it :lol: Why you all got to point out the negative line in there :eviltongue: :giggle:

so now, do you see, ChiChi?

we have been forced to accept these aritlcles as 'good' articles. everytime they come up. it's redundant to tell us what we already know about 'Thriller'...let alone, 'Off The Wall', which by the way, the 'writer' said was..'mindless funk'..which flies in the face of the supposed positive reviews of 'off the wall', which spawned all the wannabe 'off the wall' albums of the future, which, of course, were brilliant, according to the 'writers' of the future.

there is a hypnotic practice to write 'positive' articles...in hopes that the 'idiot' fans of MJ would accept them..and move on. a little sublinal practice/seduction/programming, if you will.

when will a truly positive article come along? so that the fans can say that it was positive, without feeling guilty. this is not a positive article. it's a mundane article stating the obvious about thriller. nobody can say that thriller is a horrible album, with a straight face, unless they are on something, or need help of some sort. and i'm sure that thriller never received rave reviews before the audience reacted to it. the press can't be trusted, in full. i have yet to see a rave review that equalled audience approval.

this is why the fans need therapy sections in forums...cus there is an unwritten rule that says either fans of MJ do what society says, on society's terms...or else.

that rule states that a journalist must be allowed to write a 'positive' article that features a dehumanizing of MJ, personally, if the 'writer' is to write something postive about 'the only good cd that MJ apparently made.'

It was a nice read...but:

"Jackson, whose skin was not yet bleached and whose features still resembled a normal human being’s..."

FUKK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:punk::punk::punk:

I'll second that!!!!
WTF is wrong with this people? they call themselves journalists and they just can't keep objectivity, not even if their lives depended on it.

And this is why Elvis is not revered by young people. Young people honor the people who really did contribute something to the music industry. Just look at YouTube and see how much honor and admiration is given to Michael and compare it with that of Elvis and you will see what I mean.

Michael RULES YouTube!

so now, do you see, ChiChi?

we have been forced to accept these aritlcles as 'good' articles. everytime they come up. it's redundant to tell us what we already know about 'Thriller'...let alone, 'Off The Wall', which by the way, the 'writer' said was..'mindless funk'..which flies in the face of the supposed positive reviews of 'off the wall', which spawned all the wannabe 'off the wall' albums of the future, which, of course, were brilliant, according to the 'writers' of the future.

there is a hypnotic practice to write 'positive' articles...in hopes that the 'idiot' fans of MJ would accept them..and move on. a little sublinal practice/seduction/programming, if you will.

when will a truly positive article come along? so that the fans can say that it was positive, without feeling guilty. this is not a positive article. it's a mundane article stating the obvious about thriller. nobody can say that thriller is a horrible album, with a straight face, unless they are on something, or need help of some sort. and i'm sure that thriller never received rave reviews before the audience reacted to it. the press can't be trusted, in full. i have yet to see a rave review that equalled audience approval.

this is why the fans need therapy sections in forums...cus there is an unwritten rule that says either fans of MJ do what society says, on society's terms...or else.

that rule states that a journalist must be allowed to write a 'positive' article that features a dehumanizing of MJ, personally, if the 'writer' is to write something postive about 'the only good cd that MJ apparently made.'

vncwilliam, thank you for a post well written truth be told NOBODY writes positively about Michael positive equal no trashing the man's looks, life and beyond and trust plenty of people like Madonna and Prince get that respect why should it be so different for Mr. Jackson?

And this is why Elvis is not revered by young people. Young people honor the people who really did contribute something to the music industry. Just look at YouTube and see how much honor and admiration is given to Michael and compare it with that of Elvis and you will see what I mean.

Michael RULES YouTube!
Absolutely/ It is very easiy to see, because it is Michael that they all want to emulate, not Elvis.

Back