Thriller to be released in 3D! - along with 'Making of Thriller'

Wonder if they'll also convert the TII Thriller into it's intended 3D also?

If Making of Thriller were to be released onto DVD, would it then count as one of the ten Sony "projects" from the new deal? As much as the fans would love to own it, I can't see a making of documentary of a music video having quite the same impact as a new album!!

During the audience Q&A someone asked Landis if The Making of Thriller would ever be hitting DVD, and he confirmed that the hour long doc, along with the remastered longform video, would be coming soon. There have been lawsuits and royalty issues holding up any further releases, and although Landis didn't say they had all been cleared up, he did make it seem as though Jackson's death had presented an opportunity for the sides to come together and hash things out.

So is he basically saying that while MJ was alive that it was his fault that royalty issues were not cleared up?

They should try including the Thriller vignette planned for TII in 3D! Imagine how incredible THAT would look! :woohoo:

Was just thinking that too!! Would be great. Have the original making of Thriller on an old VHS but always worry it's going to get chewed up and eaten by my vcr........so yeah on DVD would be fabuloso!:clapping:
TII Thriller on the menu too..................now that would be something worth chewing!:):wub:

So is he basically saying that while MJ was alive that it was his fault that royalty issues were not cleared up?

No he's not saying that. He's saying there was an opportunity. Obviously it's easier to clear things up now because there are two lawyers employed to do this full-time for the family. When MJ was alive, noone really knew who was managing what (and neither did those MJ worked with).

Don't understand why some fans always have to read things with a negative slant.

I will definitelly buy.

We are getting everything now, don't we?

Ever since I became a fan I wanted to get the "Dancing the Dream" book, but I couldn't find it anywhere for a reasonable price. And then last summer it was reissued. And we are getting everything, it seems. Don't get me wrong, I look forward to all these MJ treasures we've been waiting to be released for years. I just wish they would have been released earlier... :(

and it's unlikely anyone would want to sit through The Making of Thriller at a movie theater.

I would, and I did! :yes: Landis was in London last year for something I think is called Fright Fest....he showed the making of Thriller right before another movie he had worked on and many MJ fans turned up to watch the Making of Thriller and then left :lol: It was lovely, and a great experience to see Michael on the big screen (mind you, this was before This is It was in theatres).

It's ALOT of effort to turn a 2D film into a worthwhile, convincing 3D experience. You can't just run it through a computer and expect it to work properly. You have to go in and tell the computer where all the different field depths are, and of course that can change on a frame by frame basis. Luckily 'Thriller' is only 14 minutes long, but IF what John says is true, then I hope it is part of a big enough project that they can do the job properly. No skimping, please.

It was lovely, and a great experience to see Michael on the big screen (mind you, this was before This is It was in theatres).

I've also seen him on the big screen before This Is It and that was when I went to see the premiere of Ghosts 1997.

With all the sound systems and stuff around in the cinema it was totally an experience of its own. All the claps, knocks, bangs and snaps you were able to feel in your bones, not to mention when Michael sang it was like your heart stopped beating for that moment.

I've also seen him on the big screen before This Is It and that was when I went to see the premiere of Ghosts 1997.

With all the sound systems and stuff around in the cinema it was totally an experience of its own. All the claps, knocks, bangs and snaps you were able to feel in your bones, not to mention when Michael sang it was like your heart stopped beating for that moment.
Wow, that's cool!.....I guess for fans it's just a great feeling in general to see Michael on the big screen.

However, if I had to choose between seeing Ghosts in the cinema or Thriller, I'd pick Ghosts :lol: The effects and the music are amazing, to me that would be better than seeing the making of Thriller :yes:

I agree I would prefer to see Ghosts on the big screen and in 3d. Unfortunately for Ghosts, Thriller is still seen as the music video benchmark, even after 25+ years. Every few years a new video is called 'The next thriller' but none of them manage to replace 'Thriller'. Remember 'Backstreet's back'? That was 'the next thriller' in the 90s. Now 'Telephone' is. In another couple of years somebody else will release something and that will become the 'next thriller'.

IMO Ghosts successfully built upon what Mike started with Thriller but for some reason the media and public never recognised it or gave it enough credit. If I wasn't a Michael Jackson fan I wouldn't have even known 'Ghosts' existed. Around the same time as the 'HIStory' single, the song 'Ghost' was released to MTV with a compacted version of the short film and those who saw it were amazed with the quality of the special effects, but it wasn't played often and as far as I know it was never nominated for music video awards. Such a shame.

Ghosts is one of my favourite pieces of MJ work ever. I loved every second of it. I dream and hope for a Blu-Ray release, but I fear it's only hardcore fans who would want it and there has been no demand so far

IMO Ghosts successfully built upon what Mike started with Thriller but for some reason the media and public never recognised it or gave it enough credit. If I wasn't a Michael Jackson fan I wouldn't have even known 'Ghosts' existed. Around the same time as the 'HIStory' single, the song 'Ghost' was released to MTV with a compacted version of the short film and those who saw it were amazed with the quality of the special effects, but it wasn't played often and as far as I know it was never nominated for music video awards. Such a shame.

Snap, lol

LOL.

You're right! Because of the lack of attention it received originally there isn't the public demand for it now - nobody except us knows about it.
Maybe Sony rectify that by having an MJ 'halloween special' where they show the full 'Ghosts' video. They could then release a DVD and BluRay and the sales might be good!

I've been saying for years that during Halloween, Thriller and Ghosts should be shown together in theaters. Maybe they will do it this year?!?!

I've been saying for years that during Halloween, Thriller and Ghosts should be shown together in theaters. Maybe they will do it this year?!?!
Hopefully.. and in 3D! Oh that would be a good birthday present for me :p

Wasn't Michael discussing a Ghosts showing for last Halloween before he passed?

he was in talks with the grammies organiser to do something for halloween. think it was with thriller though

Back