Thriller to be released in 3D! - along with 'Making of Thriller'

MoonWalkinYiddo

Proud Member
http://totalscifionline.com/news/4784-michael-jackson-s-thriller-to-go-3-d

Michael Jackson’s Thriller to go 3-D?

Thriller director John Landis has announced that the Michael Jackson estate want to release a 3-D version of the 1983 video.
Although unclear whether the film would be released in theatres or on DVD, the announcement has Jackson fans excited. The Making of Michael Jackson’s Thriller became the world’s biggest-selling VHS musical on its original release. Landis confirmed a DVD version is planned for release soon.

More info from someone who attended the John Landis Q&A:

THE RETURN OF THRILLER... IN 3D?

http://chud.com/articles/articles/23014/1/THE-RETURN-OF-THRILLER-IN-3D/Page1.html

This week John Landis appeared at the BFI in London, and I was lucky enough to be in the audience. After a showing of his fantastic car salesman doc, Slasher, Landis sat down to talk about his entire career, relaying anecdotes from his thirty plus years in the business, and his jobs that ranged from stuntman to director and everything in between.

During the audience Q&A someone asked Landis if The Making of Thriller would ever be hitting DVD, and he confirmed that the hour long doc, along with the remastered longform video, would be coming soon. There have been lawsuits and royalty issues holding up any further releases, and although Landis didn't say they had all been cleared up, he did make it seem as though Jackson's death had presented an opportunity for the sides to come together and hash things out.

But more intriguing than news of a home video release was Landis telling the crowd that the folks behind Jackson's estate want to turn the video into 3D. The director is fine with the idea, even if he doesn't seem to be the biggest fan of the tech, but it wasn't clear if the 3D version of Thriller was intended for theatrical distribution. One assumes that's the basic plan, as 3D TVs don't have the kind of saturation into the market needed to make a 3D Blu-Ray of the video all that worthwhile.

How a theatrical release of a 3D Thriller would work is beyond me; the video was specially screened with Disney's Fantasia to qualify it for the Oscars in 1983, but it's way too short to work on its own, and it's unlikely anyone would want to sit through The Making of Thriller at a movie theater. But could this be just one segment of a movie made up of 3D versions of Michael Jackson videos? That's sheer speculation on my part, mind you, but it does seem like something that could rake in some more money. And you don't make Thriller 3D without the main intention of making more money.

Last edited:
Re: Thriller to be released in 3D!

wow, I love all of MJ's short films.

Re: Thriller to be released in 3D!

Awesome! Will definetly buy!

Another thing to look forward to!! Will definitely buy!

How a theatrical release of a 3D Thriller would work is beyond me; ...it's unlikely anyone would want to sit through The Making of Thriller at a movie theater.

Don't put words in my mouth!!!
I'd go!!! :wild::wild::wild:

The making of Thriller + Thriller 3D... :bugeyed

I'd go!!! :wild::wild::wild:

I would definitely be interested to see this, too. Although, I was such a big chicken, it took me years to be able to watch Thriller by myself. I don't know if I can handle the ghouls in 3D! LOL!

I would definitely be interested to see this, too. Although, I was such a big chicken, it took me years to be able to watch Thriller by myself. I don't know if I can handle the ghouls in 3D! LOL!

Same here....
thShy_001.gif

Oh man it's about time thriller on DVD + making but in 3D? Whoa, never expected that not for the old version. But the new one in the movie this is it would be cool too if they could put that in 3d like it was suppose to be!

did he say that thriller was paired for the oscars?

yep. more info

The music video of “Thriller” played in a Westwood theater for one week in 1983 to qualify for an Oscar nomination. It opened for Disney’s “Fantasia,” much to the dismay of unsuspecting parents.

Thriller 3D would be awesome to see. Hopefully it'll get a cinema release, not before a Disney film this time! Would be perfect for Halloween.

This should be enough excuse to bring Moonwalker in 3D.......Imagine that!!!!!

I remember I bought a Thriller 3D Viewmaster and slides for one of my nephews or niece (can't remember which one - it was back in the 80's) and it was incredible. The corpses and everything looked so real. So this should be fun.

I hope they release this in theaters (Along with "Ghosts"). That would be awesome! I've always wanted to see "Thriller" on the big screen.

They should try including the Thriller vignette planned for TII in 3D! Imagine how incredible THAT would look! :woohoo:

Ghosts on 3D would be out of this world. I have been wanting Ghosts in DVD, but if they are going to release Thriller in 3D, then I have to believe that they would also release Ghosts in DVD and 3D!!:wild:

Back