Thriller still top selling?

law_breaker05

Proud Member
I am confused. I heard thriller isnt top selling album world wide anymore? if so that saddens me!I heard the eagles greatest hits surpassed it.
currently whats top selling? i read online, did research sum things said thriller was #1 sum say eagles is number 1
please tell me! also how they differ in sales:timer:

The Eagles' Greatest Hits have only passed Thriller in the U.S., and Thriller could always come back and pass it back up. Worldwide, Thriller is still the top-selling album by a LARGE margin.

Thriller is the largest selling album ever. The eagles is just a double disc compilation, a greatest hits album. Now if it was a single cd, with brand new material then u shud be worried lol, but that will never happen

The Thriller album has been the Worlds Top-selling Album since 1984, and no other album has come close to over taking the it's sales.

I'm not too sure if The Eagles is still the biggest selling album in the USA, because of this years re-release of Thriller25 which may have re-claimed it's place as the No.1 biggest selling album of all time in the USA if Sony do a re-count. The Eagles Greatest HIts album has only sold 1 million point whatever more than Thriller in the USA. Some media outlets give out mis-information that The Eagles have the biggest selling album of all time in the world, when they don't.

It comes down to this in the USA, The Eagles GH has been recertified more often in recent years than Thriller has. Their record company has done a better job of accounting for thier sales and giving them proper certification versus what SONY hasn't done. With that knowlege it's hard to know who has the top selling album in the USA of all time at this point, with SONY having lagged YEARS behind recertifying Michael's albums some haven't been recertified in nearly 15 years or more.

I think this is the conspiracy that Michael was talking about !!!

Anyone know what the exact number is for the Eagles? How many copies have they sold above Thriller at this point (in the USA)?

the confusion starts in the USA

because US-americans tend to divide the world into the USA and "the rest".

and they often refer to the biggest selling album in their state which is the compilation album "Their Greatest Hits (1971–1975)" by The Eagles (certified 29x Platinum for 29 mio. albums), narrowly followed by Michael Jackson's actual album "Thriller" (certified 28x Platinum for 28 mio. albums).

However these sale figures are not up-to-date and sales of "Thriller 25" - which are added to the original 1982 album sales - could help to surpass the Eagles in the near future.

but worldwide Michael Jackson's "Thriller" has a very huge advance which is practically impossible to catch up

the confusion starts in the USA

because US-americans tend to divide the world into the USA and "the rest".

and they often refer to the biggest selling album in their state which is the compilation album "Their Greatest Hits (1971–1975)" by The Eagles, narrowly followed by Michael Jackson's actual album "Thriller".

but worldwide Michael Jackson's "Thriller" has a very huge advance which is practically impossible to catch up

Correct!

And the tabloids do all they can to make it look like The Eagles has the best selling album worldwide too, they sure don't want that honour to go to the man who actually has it, Michael Jackson!

I love how so many of you have to justify reasons why Michael isn't number one in the USA. Just face the facts that have been given to us. The Eagles are number 1 in the US and Michael is number 1 in the world. Regardless of how the numbers were added up, quit trying to make assumptions. The Eagles is a good band and deserve their recognition…

Ew, I HATE it so much when people try and make it look like the Eagles have the biggest selling album EVER.

It ain't in America or Australia or the UK but it's the world's best-selling album ever.

PERIOD!

:yes: EXACTLY!

LOGO.gif

Last edited:
Let's put it this way. In 20 years people will still be listening to Thriller and even more people will know and remember who MJ is. In 20 years the Eagles will probably be obsolete.......if they aren't already.

I love how so many of you have to justify reasons why Michael isn't number one in the USA. Just face the facts that have been given to us. The Eagles are number 1 in the US and Michael is number 1 in the world. Regardless of how the numbers were added up, quit trying to make assumptions. The Eagles is a good band and deserve their recognition…

And also Michael is a GLOBAL icon now so I don't really think it matters anymore. Hell "Bad" sold more records in other countries than "Thriller" and "Dangerous" possibly sold more than "Thriller" in Australia. Big deal.

It comes down to this in the USA, The Eagles GH has been recertified more often in recent years than Thriller has. Their record company has done a better job of accounting for thier sales and giving them proper certification versus what SONY hasn't done. With that knowlege it's hard to know who has the top selling album in the USA of all time at this point, with SONY having lagged YEARS behind recertifying Michael's albums some haven't been recertified in nearly 15 years or more.

I don't get why Sony is dragging their feet on this. It would've been great pr for the album and MJ if Sony had announced in the middle of Thriller 25's media blitz that Thriller had reclaimed the #1 spot in the US.

^^Because Sony have people there that don't know what the eff they're doing. Plus doesn't Sony have to pay RIAA to get full sales numbers for "Thriller"? LOL

If they can't do that, then tough on them.

of course they are a good band, and they deserve their truthful recognition. The point is that the "facts that have been given to us" may not be true. Since (as stated before) the Eagles album has been certified more recently than Thriller- maybe the Eagles album has no longer sold more albums than Thriller in the U.S. lol- I surely dont take all info given to me as truthful all the time..
But we'll know whenever Thriller is re-certified :yes:

This is just plain silly. :lol:

We have to realize it ain't Don Henley and them fault while their album keeps getting recertified. Somebody tell the folks at Phony Boretainment to get their sh*t right.

Let's put it this way. In 20 years people will still be listening to Thriller and even more people will know and remember who MJ is. In 20 years the Eagles will probably be obsolete.......if they aren't already.

I would say they are already!!

Nah, the Eagles' latest studio album did real good when it got released last year. I think it sold five million thanks partially to their deal with Wal-Mart.

It was their first studio album in like 28 years too.

In certain countries, yes. I figure BAD is his best-seller in the UK and Australia.

Bad is his best-seller in UK but Thriller remains his best-selling album in Australia with sales of > 1 million :yes:

the eagles collection was released summat like 3 years b4 thriller aswell i think.
i cant really be bothered checking lol

but like every1 else said thriller is worlds biggest seller

Back