"Thriller" sales soar close to Eagles' "Hits"

PrincessLNJ

Proud Member
1 hr 18 mins ago

NEW YORK (Billboard) – For nearly a decade, the Eagles' "Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975" has been the recording industry's ultimate evergreen release, certified by the RIAA as the all-time best-selling album in the United States. But thanks to continued robust demand for Michael Jackson's catalog since his June 25 death, "Thriller" appears on the verge of matching "Their Greatest Hits," at least in the eyes of the industry trade group.

In March, the Recording Industry Association of America certified "Thriller" as 28 times platinum, meaning that at least 28 million copies of the album have been shipped since its 1982 release. That's just a notch behind the Eagles' hits compilation, which was released in 1976 and was certified 29 times platinum in 2006.

Billboard estimates that the posthumous surge in Jackson's sales and Sony Music Entertainment's efforts to push Jackson CDs into the distribution pipeline have likely propelled shipments of Jackson product, if not yet sales, beyond the 29 million-unit mark in the United States.

Amid the recent explosion in Jackson sales, "Thriller" has enjoyed the second-biggest sales bump in his catalog, just behind the hits collection "Number Ones." During the three weeks that ended July 12, "Thriller" sold 552,000 U.S. copies, for year-to-date sales of 608,000, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

STRONG SALES TO CONTINUE

Most industry executives believe that the most recent SoundScan week -- which included the widely watched memorial service for Jackson at the Staples Center in Los Angeles -- will mark a posthumous weekly peak for Jackson sales. They also expect sales to wind down slowly in the next few months, which means sales will remain strong. In the week ended July 12, Jackson's album catalog sold a combined 1.1 million copies, up from nearly 800,000 in the preceding week and 422,000 in the week he died.

"Thriller" and "Their Greatest Hits" were instant hits. The RIAA first certified "Thriller" platinum in January 1983, just two months after its release, while "Their Greatest Hits" was certified platinum in February 1976, mere days after it arrived.

Propelled by groundbreaking videos for the singles "Billie Jean," "Beat It" and the title track, "Thriller" reached the 20 million certification milestone in October 1984, becoming the RIAA's top-selling album of all time. The album's next RIAA certification, at 21 times platinum, came in May 1990. The RIAA's certification of "Thriller" as 28 times platinum in March came 13 months after Sony's release of a deluxe 25th-anniversary edition of the album.

The RIAA's second certification of shipments of the Eagles' "Their Greatest Hits" didn't occur until August 1990, when it certified the release as 12 times platinum. The RIAA couldn't immediately explain why the album wasn't certified at earlier platinum milestones, or why it was next certified at 14 times platinum in December 1993, and for 22 times in June 1995, despite U.S. sales of only 919,000 during that period. When the RIAA certified "Their Greatest Hits" as 26 times platinum in November 1999, it unseated "Thriller" at the top of the RIAA's all-time ranking.

Since being certified as 29 times platinum in January 2006, "Their Greatest Hits" has sold 404,000 copies, including 33,000 this year and 115,000 in 2008.

Representatives at Sony and Warner Music Group, which distributes "Their Greatest Hits," declined to comment.

"Thriller" and "Their Greatest Hits" were instant hits. The RIAA first certified "Thriller" platinum in January 1983, just two months after its release, while "Their Greatest Hits" was certified platinum in February 1976, mere days after it arrived.

Propelled by groundbreaking videos for the singles "Billie Jean," "Beat It" and the title track, "Thriller" reached the 20 million certification milestone in October 1984, becoming the RIAA's top-selling album of all time. The album's next RIAA certification, at 21 times platinum, came in May 1990. The RIAA's certification of "Thriller" as 28 times platinum in March came 13 months after Sony's release of a deluxe 25th-anniversary edition of the album.

The RIAA's second certification of shipments of the Eagles' "Their Greatest Hits" didn't occur until August 1990, when it certified the release as 12 times platinum. The RIAA couldn't immediately explain why the album wasn't certified at earlier platinum milestones, or why it was next certified at 14 times platinum in December 1993, and for 22 times in June 1995, despite U.S. sales of only 919,000 during that period. When the RIAA certified "Their Greatest Hits" as 26 times platinum in November 1999, it unseated "Thriller" at the top of the RIAA's all-time ranking.

Since being certified as 29 times platinum in January 2006, "Their Greatest Hits" has sold 404,000 copies, including 33,000 this year and 115,000 in 2008.

read that again people .. please :D

tell me that is all kosher ?? go ahead, there is nothing 'odd' happening with those figures :no: AS IF !!

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been waiting for this...Plus I saw on something once where someone from the Eagles accused Mike of going out and buying up a lot of Thriller records so I can't wait til he passes them

YES!!!!!!!!!! I've been waiting for this day for so long!!!! That rticle makes the Eagles figure seem suspicious...

My father played his Eagles music one too many times and as a result I've been totally burnt out on their music for years. And it's good music, definitely, but Michael's music never gets old to me. Thriller is the worldwide leader anyway which is what truly matters. And the USA, contrary to what some of my narrow-minded countrymen believe, is not the world.

Who are the heck are the Eagles? (No I won't google them hehe)

really? That breakdown of eagle's figures sound EXTRA EXTRA suspicious!!! -_-

Who are the heck are the Eagles? (No I won't google them hehe)

The Eagles are a legendary rock band. I don't blame you for not knowing who they are. Their fame never really entered the same level as Michael's.

In the USA maybe, in the world I don’t think so! I would prefer to see figures from sales around the world.

The Eagles are a legendary rock band. I don't blame you for not knowing who they are. Their fame never really entered the same level as Michael's.

It's possible I've heard their songs but when I'm not interested, I block it out completely.
And I'm not from the US...

:scratch:

:hysterical:

Are you laughing at me or you don't know them either?

Last edited:

tell me that is all kosher ?? go ahead, there is nothing 'odd' happening with those figures :no: AS IF !!

How did they jump from 14 times platinum in 1993 to 22 times platinim in 1995 selling less than 1 million records in that time frame???
What the hell??

Of course they don't want Thriller to be the all time best selling album in the US so they are fudging numbers.

and when was the last time Michael's other albums were certified?

How can Eagles certification jump from 14 times Platinum to 22 times Platinum when there was less than 1 million sales between that time. That seems really dodgy to me unless that article is wrong or leaving some facts out.

I like the Eagles, but yeah.... something doesn't sit right in the Eagles aerie! I'd say that album is greatly and grossly overstocked across record shops in the US!

Ooh, I was hoping this would happen soon. Now I'm hoping they take the time out to officially certify it when it does!

I honestly don't think the Eagles have outsold Thriller.
Even the writer of this article finds their records sales to be a little fishy.

R.I.P King Jackson
I'll love you always.

Also have you noticed the timing of when The Eagles certifications suddenly jumped up by loads is suspect also, like they didn't want Michael to be no.1 because of what had happened at that time so they decided to elevate the 2nd biggest to 1st place.

Last edited:
Also have you noticed the timing of when The Eagles certifications suddenly jumped up by loads is suspect also, like they didn't want Michael to be no.1 because of what had happened at that time so they decided to elevate the 2nd biggest to 1st place.

I noticed that too. Its like they just starting overshipping the eagles album to stores just to make it seem like thriller had some competition

But this is only in the U.S., so I don't care. Michael beats them all way ahead world wide! thats all I care about.
Seriously...
I'm sick of this selfish, self centered point of view. ugh!
As if the whole world is the USA.

Last edited:
I've never heard of the Eagles. I guess they're pretty big in the US right?
But um.. is it fair to compare a "greatest hits" with an "album"? And it was released 6 years before Thriller.. :lol:

it's 5 am here. I can't concentrate, so tell me what's odd? XD

So true.

How can Eagles certification jump from 14 times Platinum to 22 times Platinum when there was less than 1 million sales between that time. That seems really dodgy to me unless that article is wrong or leaving some facts out.
yupe..can fan on here write to RIAA and ask them wat the heck was up with their number?
and when was the last time MJ's albums get certified?

Back