Thriller 3D Update

I thought they said they were thining of it

My info is that they said Thriller 3D in Cinemas 2017 and a release later 2017 which they then changed to 2018. Later it was "confirmed" that Ghosts 3D will also be in Cinemas and released in 2018.

No one watched Thriller 3D why put out Ghosts 3D? 3D is dead let’s hope they skip these ideas.

My info is that they said Thriller 3D in Cinemas 2017 and a release later 2017 which they then changed to 2018. Later it was "confirmed" that Ghosts 3D will also be in Cinemas and released in 2018.
Well....thats the estate for ya

I just hope the make a 4K scan of Ghosts and releases it along with Thriller on UHD and Blu-Ray.

I don't like 3D and I think it's more irritating than entertaining.

A Great 4K UHD and Blu-RAy release would be Thriller, Making of Thriller - Ghosts and the Making of Ghosts - and maybe more behind the scenes footage if they can find more.

I just hope the make a 4K scan of Ghosts and releases it along with Thriller on UHD and Blu-Ray.

I don't like 3D and I think it's more irritating than entertaining.

A Great 4K UHD and Blu-RAy release would be Thriller, Making of Thriller - Ghosts and the Making of Ghosts - and maybe more behind the scenes footage if they can find more.

Now THAT would be Michael Jackson's Halloween.

Really hope Ghosts gets some kind of release in the USA. I think casual fans on MJ in the USA don't really know about Ghosts.

Maybe they are releasing thriller and ghosts on Netflix when it’s Halloween? Not a bad decision after all since Netflix supports 4K Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos!

IMWhizzle;4232778 said:
Maybe they are releasing thriller and ghosts on Netflix when it’s Halloween? Not a bad decision after all since Netflix supports 4K Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos!

It's a great idea, but Ghosts would be in 480p SD since we know it hasn't been remastered at all. (which is okay for me cause all I want to see right now is Thriller)

IMWhizzle;4232778 said:
Don't get your hopes up!

Estate are making new Thriller t-shirts etc so maybe they're planning a surprise? I doubt it but it would be nice!

Oh, of course. We can still hope they do something with this other than the sheer idiocy of showing it in a few cinemas once a year.

Yes they will.
They were so happy with the two cinemas showing Thriller 3D in the UK that Branca decided to run a market stall in Dorset to sell T3D BluRays. But only for one weekend. :rolleyes:

Seriously though. What the hell's going on??

Thriller 3D is ballsed up in the UK. complete bomb. Released way ahead of Halloween and in only two cinemas.
Even the USA, where it was quite successful the limited one week release was too early and made little sense.

MJ's Halloween cartoon got a very limited release worldwide and was not shown in the UK at all. In the USA it was shown on 20th October - way before Halloween (scheduling is not the Estate's fault, I know).

Now they release Thriller branded shirts weeks after T3D.

Why couldn't they have released both at the same time for more impact?

Last year they were talking about the Michael Jackson Halloween takeover. what happened? The planning seems awful.

Last edited:
Yes they will.
They were so happy with the two cinemas showing Thriller 3D in the UK that they've decided to open up a market stall in dorset to sell BluRays. But only for one weekend. :rolleyes:

:lmao: Love it!

I really hope they do something with Ghosts - In my opinion Ghosts is MJ's most ambitious video. - Best dance routines, great setting - and a nice story.

So very very sad so few people know the video. Many have never ever seen it.

So they should spend a lot of money restoring Ghosts - and even though it will not make profit - it's an investment in MJ's legacy. People need to see the video - and in good quality.

Agree. Thriller was the most visionary/innovative video because of the time that it was made, but IMO Ghosts was better as a short movie and as it was release more than a decade later it certainly has the better effects. I think being released only a few years after the allegations really hampered Ghosts' success.

Ghosts is an incredible piece of art. The hidden meanings are so poignant. It's great that we have it in HD already.

There is no true HD version of Ghosts for the moment. Must be an upscale.

The WOWOW version is genuine HD. The colours aren’t great but it’s obviously not the SD version.

barok232;4232902 said:
That is hd indeed, but the colors are so washed out and it has constant stuttering. (Talking about the WOWOW version, or is there another one?)
That’s the one. I haven’t seen constant stuttering although I’ve never watched that version in full.

^ well then I sure hope it receives a similar treatment to Thriller

(I personally am happier for having a laserdisc rip of Ghosts)

Ghosts deserves to be preserved alongside Thriller in the National Film Registry. It really obliterates the boundaries for what a 'pop star' can do with video. It was copied, too. I'm sure Backstreet Boys - 'Backstreets Back' or whatever it called used Ghosts as heavy inspiration for the video.

Ghosts is simply too long.

It almost feels the runtime was an aim rather than a necessity. There's cuts in there that are just completely unnecessary.

I feel the impact would be stronger had they trimmed the fat.

If you can make a shorter cut of Ghosts then by all means be my guest and do it. Trim the fat, as you say. But then I doubt that there will be cohesiveness to the plot.

In my opinion Ghosts is just fine as it is. My only nitpick, I would choose warmer colors for the whole film, perhaps more brown instead of blue (kinda like the early 1993 ghosts version)

Showing endless reaction. If they wanted to do that for style do it once, not throughout. Trimming that wouldn't affect the plot in the slightest. Which to be fair there isn't much of either.

Ghosts is a film I never watched and thought... hmmm they could cut out _________! Idk that's just me.

Ghosts deserves the same treatment. Doing so will bring new audiences/fans who never seen it before. Severely underrated short film. I prefer it over Thriller tbh...

Yeah would be great if they restored Ghosts too. It was actually the first MJ short film I saw. It was around 1999 and I was 6 years old. I was checking what was on TV after playing video games and Ghosts was playing on MTV. It was the short version. I wasn't a fan back then but the video looked great. I hope it gets released on Blu-Ray.

I found this on Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Jackson's_Ghosts

The original film version of Ghosts was also given multiple screenings at Hoyts Cinema in Sydney (together with a 75mm print of the HIStory teaser) the evening before the HIStory tour commenced its Australian leg (and the evening before Jackson's wedding to Debbie Rowe), and that print had the red background version of the SMPTE Universal Leader at the beginning.

I wonder if they shot HIStory teaser on 70mm film? That 75 is probably a typo.

Last edited:
Uhh Ghosts was shot in 35mm. 75mm doesn't even exist and 70mm wasn't used.

Back