'This Is It' > Song Already Recorded For 'Off The Wall' ?

I would rather have never heard this news. I get excited about a new album, then I hear about Thriller 25 and my hopes are dashed. I hear more about working on NEW music, and then I hear rumors of OTW30. Then he announces the "This is It" Tour and my dreams become a reality only to find out the song could be from a 30 year old album.

If this is going to be inlcuded on the Off The Wall 30 reissue as a bonus track to promote the concert then I am going to give up entirely. It really will be IT. If you are going to "retire" Mike, go out with a bang. I am still praying for a full 12 track record with completely new tracks recorded within the last few years…
Don't give up hope! It might be a coincidence. He might touch up the song and release either for OTW 30 or perform at the London show or do both and release a brand new album with nothin but new tracks.

As for the unreleased track list...So many interesting titles. Let's pray we can hear some of them someday. It would be better if they can be officially released through the type of an album that is a collection of unreleased tracks titled, say, "Unreleased".

With all these unreleased tracks MJ dosent even need to record new material he can just pick some these songs and put them on a CD. LOL

People seem to forget that MJ has already publicly stated that HE IS WORKING ON A NEW ALBUM. Its just a matter of when he releases it and he will do that when he feels the time is right.

People seem to forget that MJ has already publicly stated that HE IS WORKING ON A NEW ALBUM. Its just a matter of when he releases it and he will do that when he feels the time is right.
Yep. Plus, he's constantly writing songs. It's jus that he releases albums less often than many other artists do.

The "This Is It" song might never be released or will never be in the near future. I doubt he has been or will be thinking of touching it up esp. since his mind is focused on a new album and the O2 shows. Even if it sees the light through OTW 30, maybe he still wouldn't put the finishing touches to it and would give it as it is.

Are you sure about that?
i thought We Be Ballin was recorded for a NBA promo thing but then got canned because the NBA had a player lockout. And didnt the NBA player lockout happen in the mid-to-late 90's?

• We Be Ballin' (1997/1998) (Rick "Dutch" Cousin, ???)
    Ice Cube aka O'Shea Jackson
    Remix of We Be Clubbin' (1997), the hit-theme of the movie THE PLAYER'S CLUB (1997).
    Features
    Michael Jackson (on chorus), Shaquille O'Neal (spoken intro + verses)
    Produced in 1998 in the A&M recording studios in Hollywood, California.
    This remix was to be released on a NBA compilation album scheduled for the end of 1997
    and was also going to be featured in commercials for NBA's "I Love This Game" campaign.
    Michael Jackson was brought on this project by Shaquille O'Neal who has previously
    guest-starred on the track "2 Bad" on the album HISTORY - PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE
    - BOOK I (1995)
    The entire project was finally shelved due to the player iniated strike against the league
    that year.
  • (Master Mix - 5:02, and Street Mix - 5:14) Ice Cube: "We Be Ballin' "
    (Single Test Pressing, Post production Acetate CD, 1998)
    The "Master Mix" on this acetate abruptly ends at 4:47 and is silent for the remaining
    playtime. However a proceeding beat can be faintly detected in the background for a
    few seconds. This curiosity is based on the fact that production on the song was rushed
    and not finished for this master.
  • (Master Mix - 5:07) Ice Cube: "We Be Clubbin' "
    (Single, Promo-CD, 1998)
    This Promo-CD features Ice Cube's We Be Clubbin' plus five remixes and
    as the 7th track on the disc the complete "Master Mix" of WE BE BALLIN'.
  • (Cover Version with Michael's original chorus - _:__) Ricky Romance: "?????"
    (Album, CD, 2003)

• [*]Fan-made FAKE version (4:50 /or 5:14 since April 2008)
    SPREAD in mid 2005
    This FAKE DOES NOT(!) feature Ice Cube at all. It mixed the 2003 remake with
    JMC Mob, Raz-B & Co. with one of actually three slightly different choruses by MJ plus
    one verse by Shaquille O'Neal.
    NOTE: Around APRIL 2008 someone extended this FAKE version once again (having a
    playtime of 5:14 now) in some attempt to make it look like it would be the "Street Mix"
    which IS NOT TRUE(!) as the real version is 1) professionally mastered and 2) sounds
    extremely different.
    This new FAKE had a bit better sound quality as it did not have dropouts any longer.

• [*]Master Mix (5:07)
    Two leaks of this:

• (5:02, the song abruptly ends at 4:46 and the remaining playtime is silent)
      LEAKED from Test Pressing on June 21st, 2008 (Source: mickyj007 / MJJC)
    • (5:07, the song is complete and has a fade out)
      LEAKED from Promo-CD on July 12th, 2008 (Source: Dangerous Incorporated / MJJC)
    Michael Jackson sings the chorus three times and each time slightly different. The last
    chorus is a longer one with more vocals.
    Furthermore the "Master Mix" also includes all vocals by Ice Cube and Shaquille O'Neal,
    features professional production and mastering and has superb sound quality.

[*]Street Mix (5:14)
    LEAKED on June 21st, 2008 (Source: mickyj007 / MJJC)
    The "Street Mix" gives the song a more edgy and urban feel. It's very different in
    production, style when compared to the "Master Mix" and turns the end of the song
    into an acappella by Ice Cube. It features all the vocals from the "Master Mix".

[*]Work In Progress (5:33)
    NOT(!) leaked
    This version was an early work on the remix with Shaq & Mike. It uses much musical
    elements from the 1997 original We Be Clubbin' and Mike sings the chorus only two
    times here (the 2nd chorus being the longer one). The track contains some vocals
    that were later dropped from the final version (some others are missing here) and
    ends with an instrumental passage.

Credit: Korgnex

• We Be Ballin' (1997/1998) (Rick "Dutch" Cousin, ???)
    Ice Cube aka O'Shea Jackson
    Remix of We Be Clubbin' (1997), the hit-theme of the movie THE PLAYER'S CLUB (1997).
    Features
    Michael Jackson (on chorus), Shaquille O'Neal (spoken intro + verses)
    Produced in 1998 in the A&M recording studios in Hollywood, California.
    This remix was to be released on a NBA compilation album scheduled for the end of 1997
    and was also going to be featured in commercials for NBA's "I Love This Game" campaign.
    Michael Jackson was brought on this project by Shaquille O'Neal who has previously
    guest-starred on the track "2 Bad" on the album HISTORY - PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE
    - BOOK I (1995)
    The entire project was finally shelved due to the player iniated strike against the league
    that year.
  • (Master Mix - 5:02, and Street Mix - 5:14) Ice Cube: "We Be Ballin' "
    (Single Test Pressing, Post production Acetate CD, 1998)
    The "Master Mix" on this acetate abruptly ends at 4:47 and is silent for the remaining
    playtime. However a proceeding beat can be faintly detected in the background for a
    few seconds. This curiosity is based on the fact that production on the song was rushed
    and not finished for this master.
  • (Master Mix - 5:07) Ice Cube: "We Be Clubbin' "
    (Single, Promo-CD, 1998)
    This Promo-CD features Ice Cube's We Be Clubbin' plus five remixes and
    as the 7th track on the disc the complete "Master Mix" of WE BE BALLIN'.
  • (Cover Version with Michael's original chorus - _:__) Ricky Romance: "?????"
    (Album, CD, 2003)

• [*]Fan-made FAKE version (4:50 /or 5:14 since April 2008)
    SPREAD in mid 2005
    This FAKE DOES NOT(!) feature Ice Cube at all. It mixed the 2003 remake with
    JMC Mob, Raz-B & Co. with one of actually three slightly different choruses by MJ plus
    one verse by Shaquille O'Neal.
    NOTE: Around APRIL 2008 someone extended this FAKE version once again (having a
    playtime of 5:14 now) in some attempt to make it look like it would be the "Street Mix"
    which IS NOT TRUE(!) as the real version is 1) professionally mastered and 2) sounds
    extremely different.
    This new FAKE had a bit better sound quality as it did not have dropouts any longer.

• [*]Master Mix (5:07)
    Two leaks of this:

• (5:02, the song abruptly ends at 4:46 and the remaining playtime is silent)
      LEAKED from Test Pressing on June 21st, 2008 (Source: mickyj007 / MJJC)
    • (5:07, the song is complete and has a fade out)
      LEAKED from Promo-CD on July 12th, 2008 (Source: Dangerous Incorporated / MJJC)
    Michael Jackson sings the chorus three times and each time slightly different. The last
    chorus is a longer one with more vocals.
    Furthermore the "Master Mix" also includes all vocals by Ice Cube and Shaquille O'Neal,
    features professional production and mastering and has superb sound quality.

[*]Street Mix (5:14)
    LEAKED on June 21st, 2008 (Source: mickyj007 / MJJC)
    The "Street Mix" gives the song a more edgy and urban feel. It's very different in
    production, style when compared to the "Master Mix" and turns the end of the song
    into an acappella by Ice Cube. It features all the vocals from the "Master Mix".

[*]Work In Progress (5:33)
    NOT(!) leaked
    This version was an early work on the remix with Shaq & Mike. It uses much musical
    elements from the 1997 original We Be Clubbin' and Mike sings the chorus only two
    times here (the 2nd chorus being the longer one). The track contains some vocals
    that were later dropped from the final version (some others are missing here) and
    ends with an instrumental passage.
Credit: Korgnex

Yep, the Ricky Romance version. That's why I believed it was from 2001

I would rather have never heard this news. I get excited about a new album, then I hear about Thriller 25 and my hopes are dashed. I hear more about working on NEW music, and then I hear rumors of OTW30. Then he announces the "This is It" Tour and my dreams become a reality only to find out the song could be from a 30 year old album.

If this is going to be inlcuded on the Off The Wall 30 reissue as a bonus track to promote the concert then I am going to give up entirely. It really will be IT. If you are going to "retire" Mike, go out with a bang. I am still praying for a full 12 track record with completely new tracks recorded within the last few years…
It's really not that serious. He can still release an album and release OTW30

and who said the song was going to be called "This Is It"?

I can go on and on....but I just won't:agree:

I used that list back in 2004 when I was compiling my MJ Unreleased Songs list. Some of that info is inaccurate though

Pretty Faces was actually for the 1974 Jackson 5/ Stevie Wonder then got recorded again for either Bad or Dangerous

She's Not A Girl is from 1981 or 1982

Thank You For Life is from 1976

The Toy isn't from the Victory sessions, but from 1980 for the Richard Pryor film

I'm Not Alone is fake

We Be Ballin' isn't for BOTDF. It was recorded in 2001 or 2002

Be Me 4 A Day is from 2004

Neverland Landing and People Have To Make Some Kind of Joke aren't from Invincible, but were recorded BEFORE 1992

Saved By The Bell is from 1980-1984
You Ain't Gonna Change Nothin' is from around 1976-1981
oh dear I'd really love to hear BE ME 4 A DAY!!:angel:

wow i wanna hear those jackson 5 "adult versions" that are listed on that site

Relax people . . Michael Wouldnt release an out take from Off The Wall. Merely a coincidence - no matter how touched up and re-edited the song could be it would probably still sound dated.

Michael is working on a new album with FRESH NEW SOUNDS.

The good thing i see coming out of this is that if MJ has filed to stop the auction and the judges still allow it to proceed

then Juliens loses reputation as a fair auction house as MJ will not be a cooperative person in the auction.

It will be like stuff that was "stolen" from him and therefore items will not have the same value as if the public, mostly fans, thought that he was selling off some of his items willingly.

Fans are the ones most willing to buy his stuff and if that other hearing comes a few days before the auction and MJ loses it a second time, the auction also loses its stature.

I could guess easily the judge would be against MJ. MJ can only rely on a jury but in most cases when he's realied on a judge, in most cases they habour prejudice and find a way to riuule against him even when it has no stnding in law, because Michael's lawyer quated that what Juliens were doing was not legal in California law. But the judge's don't care because its there chance to stick one against MJ.

Very intresting.

I think the new album may be titled This Is It by Michael Jackson.

He even tries to use DAT today when newer technologies are abundant. Perhaps some of you remember the user, Cartman. He told us all how hard it was to move Mike over to Pro Tools and the like since he was still living in analog world. LOL. I wish Cartman would reappear. I know he doesn't have any insider info NOW, but I would love to hear more about the Invincible recording sessions. If you don't know how much respect you owe him, just listen to your copy of Xscape. You can thank him for getting that song into all of our iPods. :doh:

Hi,
Could someone please, tell me where i can find the Cartman's posts where explains the story's Sfboys recalls?

Thanks!

I hope that the new album isnt called this is it..
Cause you can put the name in 2 lights.:)

I really wouldn't like the title of a new album to be "This Is It". It would seem kinda lame and depressing. Something like "The Future" would be much better and uplifting.

I really think that the song Michael did back in 1980 has absolutely nothing to do with what is going on now. I think it's just pure coincidence and fans are looking way too much into it! But I would love to hear that song.

I agree this the song is most likely a "Thriller-era demo" outtake since the date of application is 1980. Still it could be a left over from Off the Wall registered after its release. I think it is very difficult to categorize Michael's music by era, since he often takes a song from a long time ago (or songs slated for the previous album) only to record them AND master them later. And, he is notorious for holding on to material for a long time and then registering it long after (for copyright and publishing legalities).

More importantly, in regards to the song This is it being recorded on "1 sound cassette", everyone needs to remember that music industry folks use the word "cassette" when referring to a DAT (very high-quality digital audio tape). So, this is not a simple recording Mike did on a home cassette recorder we all probably remember from childhood. It is most likely, almost guaranteed, that all copyrighted songs from Mike are on DAT. He even tries to use DAT today when newer technologies are abundant. Perhaps some of you remember the user, Cartman. He told us all how hard it was to move Mike over to Pro Tools and the like since he was still living in analog world. LOL. I wish Cartman would reappear. I know he doesn't have any insider info NOW, but I would love to hear more about the Invincible recording sessions. If you don't know how much respect you owe him, just listen to your copy of Xscape. You can thank him for getting that song into all of our iPods. :doh:

thisisitmj.jpg

:no::no:
I dont agree with you on a lot of what you said here.

This track was recorded in 1980. DAT was NOT around then until the mid 80s so after THRILLER. A DAT tape is really a video cassette which is used to record audio. Second, have you heard MJs home demo of Billie Jean and Startin Something? They were recorded on audio cassette tape. As it says above, 'This Is It' was recorded on "SOUND CASSETTE" not video cassette.

Also MJ is a pioneer in technology and always gets the latest technology installed in a studio by totally renovating a studio before he goes in their and records a new album so for someone to say that MJ cant move on to Pro Tools seems perposterous to me especially seems Pro Tools came out before Dangerous in 1989 and we've seen video of MJ in studios after that fact that would be deffinatly using Pro Tools.

And WTF is wrong with Escape as it is actually named (not the fan named Xscape which doesnt even make sense as the X would replace the E & S so why would an educated man like MJ leave the s in there? IF MJ named it like this it would be Xcape but as pointed out proven in this thread, its Escape)? Escape is now dated yes so it wont be on any new releases however it is still a very catchy tune and would very easily be at number 1 today if released and is a lot better than 90% of the music out there today.

Just my 3 cents (as Ive said before I had to raise my 2 cents due to the economy!)

Last edited:
Anything new and fresh from Michael will be brilliant.

I really think that we're gonna get a glimpse of Michael future releases during his residency in London. Something new and inspiring to throw into the mix of his classic material.

Are you sure about that?
i thought We Be Ballin was recorded for a NBA promo thing but then got canned because the NBA had a player lockout. And didnt the NBA player lockout happen in the mid-to-late 90's?

No it wasn't. It was 1997. I have one of the acetates.

Back