'This Is It' > Song Already Recorded For 'Off The Wall' ?

This Is It (1980) (Michael Jackson)
written by Michael Jackson
Source: United States Copyright Office (registered in November 1984)

Well now, that's VERY interesting! LOL! So THIS IS IT turns out to be an actual Michael Jackson song from OTW era?? Wow! :ph34r: And interestingly enuf, it's OTW's 30 anniversary this year, starting in August. Hmm.... :ph34r:

I wonder if this song will turn up on the OTW30 edition as an outtake or something finished and polished up like For All Time was for T25.

:eek: :eek::eek::ph34r:

Thanks for posting.

Edit: I wonder what that song is about. Or maybe it's all a random coincidence.

some of those sound pretty fan-made. "still got it"?

but i would love to hear "al capone" and "chicago 1945"

i havent heard about a lot of those songs O_O"
i wish we could listen to them somehow

some of those sound pretty fan-made. "still got it"?

but i would love to hear "al capone" and "chicago 1945"

i havent heard about a lot of those songs O_O"
i wish we could listen to them somehow

I believe most of the titles come from depositions and in-court testimony Michael gave in a couple of copyright lawsuits. The attorneys sorta ran down a list of songs they had and Michael had to testify as to who wrote and/or co-wrote each song he worked on. Other titles may have come from people who had access to studio demos and/or technicians who shared the information with fans.

This is true, although that's not to say that it has anything to do with the title of the concert series. It was written in 1980 and recorded by Michael on a cassette, copyrighted 1984. I'd consider it a Thriller outtake more than an Off the Wall outtake based on the dates.

thisisitmj.jpg

This is true, although that's not to say that it has anything to do with the title of the concert series. It was written in 1980 and recorded by Michael on a cassette, copyrighted 1984. I'd consider it a Thriller outtake more than an Off the Wall outtake based on the dates.

thisisitmj.jpg

I agree this the song is most likely a "Thriller-era demo" outtake since the date of application is 1980. Still it could be a left over from Off the Wall registered after its release. I think it is very difficult to categorize Michael's music by era, since he often takes a song from a long time ago (or songs slated for the previous album) only to record them AND master them later. And, he is notorious for holding on to material for a long time and then registering it long after (for copyright and publishing legalities).

More importantly, in regards to the song This is it being recorded on "1 sound cassette", everyone needs to remember that music industry folks use the word "cassette" when referring to a DAT (very high-quality digital audio tape). So, this is not a simple recording Mike did on a home cassette recorder we all probably remember from childhood. It is most likely, almost guaranteed, that all copyrighted songs from Mike are on DAT. He even tries to use DAT today when newer technologies are abundant. Perhaps some of you remember the user, Cartman. He told us all how hard it was to move Mike over to Pro Tools and the like since he was still living in analog world. LOL. I wish Cartman would reappear. I know he doesn't have any insider info NOW, but I would love to hear more about the Invincible recording sessions. If you don't know how much respect you owe him, just listen to your copy of Xscape. You can thank him for getting that song into all of our iPods. :doh:

Last edited:
Quote:
Crack Kills (with Run DMC)
What the.......:eek:hmy::rofl:

Some of the other titles are so funny!

Crack Kills isn't really a very "funny" title, but a very serious title. Crack cocaine and methamphetamine does kill, is killing much of our nation (US), especially in poorer, rural areas. Personally it is taking the lives of my mom and dad as we speak. Crack isn't funny.

BTW -This isn't anything personal towards you at all.

Last edited:
wow....does anyone actually have many of these rare recordings?? I'd especially love to hear the adult versions of the Jacksons songs... I have a few of the others though only about 3 or so...

I got told about this today.
Who knows what Michael will do,he is always so unpredictable but it would be brilliant if he did,maybe with a few touch ups and release it before the shows because,as we know,the promoters have said they are planning on bringing some new stuff out before the first date.

I used that list back in 2004 when I was compiling my MJ Unreleased Songs list. Some of that info is inaccurate though

Pretty Faces was actually for the 1974 Jackson 5/ Stevie Wonder then got recorded again for either Bad or Dangerous

She's Not A Girl is from 1981 or 1982

Thank You For Life is from 1976

The Toy isn't from the Victory sessions, but from 1980 for the Richard Pryor film

I'm Not Alone is fake

We Be Ballin' isn't for BOTDF. It was recorded in 2001 or 2002

Be Me 4 A Day is from 2004

Neverland Landing and People Have To Make Some Kind of Joke aren't from Invincible, but were recorded BEFORE 1992

Saved By The Bell is from 1980-1984
You Ain't Gonna Change Nothin' is from around 1976-1981

lol It has Escape listed as Xscape. Fan made list if ever Ive seen one.

I would rather have never heard this news. I get excited about a new album, then I hear about Thriller 25 and my hopes are dashed. I hear more about working on NEW music, and then I hear rumors of OTW30. Then he announces the "This is It" Tour and my dreams become a reality only to find out the song could be from a 30 year old album.

If this is going to be inlcuded on the Off The Wall 30 reissue as a bonus track to promote the concert then I am going to give up entirely. It really will be IT. If you are going to "retire" Mike, go out with a bang. I am still praying for a full 12 track record with completely new tracks recorded within the last few years…

Crack Kills isn't really a very "funny" title, but a very serious title. Crack cocaine and methamphetamine does kill, is killing much of our nation (US), especially in poorer, rural areas. Personally it is taking the lives of my mom and dad as we speak. Crack isn't funny.

BTW -This isn't anything personal towards you at all.

I wrote "Some of the other titles". The smiley was supposed to be at the end. Sorry.

Back