This is It - Lip-synced or Post-production playback?

I think it is live but the audio is not from the red shirt date. I think it is from the silver jacket date that they didn't use much footage.

id prefer they saved the silver jacket performance of beat it. michael looks more focused and as its the last time michael performed beat it on the cherry picker (june 23rd) i imagine they want to save that for the future, hopefully the near future with different dates of each song including ijcsly with the handheld mic and backdrop, dangerous, will you be there, dirty diana etc. an extended edition or a second disc with 9 hours of unseen footage would work best imo.

I wish the estate could release the raw footage of rehearsals

If I recall correctly theres 100-200 hours of raw footage so in parts, perhaps. I don't really see them releasing anything 'This Is It' related anymore however. On the topics of This Is It's music however, I really wish the This Is It album wasn't a cheap 'studio mix' compilation, but instead they used the audio from the film, along with the bonus material we got on that album! Maybe I would've bought it then (ok, I bought the 'Selections from This Is It' album off iTunes when it came out :p).

Sorry if this was slightly off topic lol

id prefer they saved the silver jacket performance of beat it. michael looks more focused and as its the last time michael performed beat it on the cherry picker (june 23rd) i imagine they want to save that for the future, hopefully the near future with different dates of each song including ijcsly with the handheld mic and backdrop, dangerous, will you be there, dirty diana etc. an extended edition or a second disc with 9 hours of unseen footage would work best imo.

I hope that too. It would be great to see this IJCSLY:
michael-jackson-05.jpg

michael-jackson-05.jpg
A little off-topic on the lipsync/dub subject,but on this subject,there is footage that leaked of the Hall of Mirrors backdrop that was gonna be used:
I still wish MJ Air would've leaked as well,since this came out.It'd be a great thing to see,especially since it never happened.I'd rather see the Dome Project stuff more than the actual rehearsal footage,IMHO.

michael-jackson-05.jpg

would be fantastic, Michael was on his game June 23rd, he also did Man In The Mirror with the white shirt and the same Mic, Light Man Entrance, Dangerous with the silver Jacket,and let's not forget, J5 Medley, Smooth Criminal, They Don't Care About Us, WBSS, Black Or White, Shake Your Body Rehearsal Routine, and that rehearsal that I'm not too sure about but it looks GLORIOUS *.* Michael in the Grey Jacket and Red Shirt, but also with sunglasses, ahhhhhhh *.* they filmed all of June 23rd/24th, and that is the most precious footage out of everything. I hope they don't leave it to gather dust!

If I recall correctly theres 100-200 hours of raw footage so in parts, perhaps. I don't really see them releasing anything 'This Is It' related anymore however. On the topics of This Is It's music however, I really wish the This Is It album wasn't a cheap 'studio mix' compilation, but instead they used the audio from the film, along with the bonus material we got on that album! Maybe I would've bought it then (ok, I bought the 'Selections from This Is It' album off iTunes when it came out :p).

Sorry if this was slightly off topic lol
Well, it's been a while so my memory might be fuzzy on this, but didn't they explicitly state that one of the reasons why they were so protective over the rehearsal footage during the Murray trial was because they wanted to use it for future releases?

In any case, I think it is quite likely that a special/extended/anniversary edition comes out at some point. It's bound to happen.

SoCav;3869141 said:
Well, it's been a while so my memory might be fuzzy on this, but didn't they explicitly state that one of the reasons why they were so protective over the rehearsal footage during the Murray trial was because they wanted to use it for future releases?

In any case, I think it is quite likely that a special/extended/anniversary edition comes out at some point. It's bound to happen.

"Sony Pictures has screened more than 100 hours of raw footage for “This Is It” to attorneys in the Michael Jackson manslaughter trial, but this footage will not be shown to jurors in the trial.

Defense attorneys for Dr. Conrad Murray and the district attorney had each sought to air raw footage during the trial. But Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor has ruled that the footage, which holds significant value for the studio, was not relevant to the case.

Sony, which fought to block the public screening of this previously unreleased footage, issued a statement about the decision noting its compliance with the court.

“While not taking a position in the criminal case currently before the court, Sony Pictures Entertainment worked as quickly as humanly possible to accommodate the parties involved in The People vs. Conrad Murray,” the studio said. “In ruling in support of Sony's motion, Judge Pastor questioned the relevance of the raw footage to the criminal case while also acknowledging Sony Pictures' right to protect the significant potential future commercial value of this unreleased footage.”

The judge has ruled that snippet from “This Is It” can be screened during the trial but additional footage will not be necessary."

I'm happy that they're releasing more THIS IS IT! Footage in the future as its Michael's last remembrance to the fans he dearly loved. In my opinion. each era release from now should be as followed:

2014:
•Off The Wall 35
•Victory Tour Anniversary Edition Blu-Ray/Cinema/DVD/CD
•This Is It Live Album

2015:
•HIStory World Tour Live in Munich July 4th 1997 Cinema/Blu-Ray 3D/Blu-Ray/DVD Re-Edited Video Angles and Audio Mix from Multitrack.

2016:
•DANGEROUS25; DTS-HD Master Audio Original CD, Demo's Remix CD, Live CD (Munich First Night) Blu-Ray/DVD Munich & Mexico. In Depth Documentation. Cinema Release of Munich 27.6.1992, T-Shirt etc.

2017:
•BAD World Tour 30th. Three show (9.12.1987, 2.23.1988 & 1.16.1989) Inc. Moments with Michael, Rehearsals, Cinema Release of Sept. 12th 87' Tokyo Japan & BAD Tour Documentary.
• Blood On The Dancefloor/Ghosts; 20th Anniversary.

2018:
• Moonwalker 30th
• New Album

2019:
• This Is It; 4 Disc Anniversary Re-Release Featuring Unseen Rehearsals, Meeting's, Behind The Scenes etc.

2020:
•HIStory 25.

Etc. Etc.....

Last edited:
would be fantastic, Michael was on his game June 23rd, he also did Man In The Mirror with the white shirt and the same Mic, Light Man Entrance, Dangerous with the silver Jacket,and let's not forget, J5 Medley, Smooth Criminal, They Don't Care About Us, WBSS, Black Or White, Shake Your Body Rehearsal Routine, and that rehearsal that I'm not too sure about but it looks GLORIOUS *.* Michael in the Grey Jacket and Red Shirt, but also with sunglasses, ahhhhhhh *.* they filmed all of June 23rd/24th, and that is the most precious footage out of everything. I hope they don't leave it to gather dust!

I hope that too. He did Man in the Mirror on June 23rd? It would be amazing to see that. I'm sure Michael's performance was better and they had all the backdrops ready like that in IJCSLY pic I posted. I was disappointed that the song wasn't full in This Is It movie. I hope we see more June 23rd and 24th footage.

I hope that too. He did Man in the Mirror on June 23rd? It would be amazing to see that. I'm sure Michael's performance was better and they had all the backdrops ready like that in IJCSLY pic I posted. I was disappointed that the song wasn't full in This Is It movie. I hope we see more June 23rd and 24th footage.

michael_jackson%20(5).jpg
(Man in the Mirror 6.23.2009) ;)

Various Rehearsal Photo's from June 23rd 2009: http://www.omelete.com.br/images/gal... (4).jpg http://www.omelete.com.br/images/gal...20(14).jpg http://www.omelete.com.br/images/gal...20(13).jpg http://www.omelete.com.br/images/gal...20(12).jpg http://www.omelete.com.br/images/gal...20(11).jpg http://www.omelete.com.br/images/gal...20(10).jpg http://www.omelete.com.br/images/gal... (9).jpg http://www.omelete.com.br/images/gal... (8).jpg http://www.omelete.com.br/images/gal... (7).jpg http://www.omelete.com.br/images/gal... (6).jpg

as i said. the full days of june 23rd/24th rehearsals, were filmed in HD. that's where the real value is, they can mix a full show. starting with an edit of the rehearsed light man enterence etc. :)

Last edited:

I didn't know that pic was from MITM. Thanks for info! :) It says: Not Found in other pics.

They didn't really rehearsed the light man entrance. They didn't have the suit on stage:

Michael just shows how it happens.

I didn't know that pic was from MITM. Thanks for info! :) It says: Not Found in other pics.

They didn't really rehearsed the light man entrance. They didn't have the suit on stage:

Michael just shows how it happens.

if Michael rehearsed wbss, right after light man, it would work well, as Michael rehearsed most of the song's, june 23rd

We know DSTYGE was rehearsed too! I would love to see This Is It footage of MJ rehearsing it and all the other songs especially SIM I think they have so much they really don't know how to piece it all together for us since they released This Is It already. I really wouldn't mind getting all the footage no editing at all. If they ever release anything which is highly possible since they didn't want any footage leaking in the trial, I hope they don't over dub anything! Hopefully the Estate reads this

We know DSTYGE was rehearsed too! I would love to see This Is It footage of MJ rehearsing it and all the other songs especially SIM I think they have so much they really don't know how to piece it all together for us since they released This Is It already. I really wouldn't mind getting all the footage no editing at all. If they ever release anything which is highly possible since they didn't want any footage leaking in the trial, I hope they don't over dub anything! Hopefully the Estate reads this

I read he performed off the wall medley and BAD, May or June 16th! they should create a 4 hour unedited edition with each song he rehearsed, even if it ain't in full, not edited or anything, just in closest order to the Setlist for the London shows. that would be best IMO, and 3 extra discs, a this is it documentary, live album, and Outtakes, Voila :) please John Branca, John McClain & Howard Weitzman, take notice of this. Michael Jackson's This is It: 10th Anniversary Deluxe Edition.

Last edited:
I think maybe there wasn't anything good enough to piece together with (in terms of footage and/or audio) of him actually rehearsing the Off The Wall medley.
Otherwise, I'm sure THAT would have made the movie.

Dirty Diana wasn't there because he never actually rehearsed it himself (at least not captured on tape, anyway). Just the visuals/lighting/dancer.

I reckon they didn't show the other IJCSLY performance maybe because they felt the one in the movie was so good on it's own.

And who knows why Dangerous was cut out.

The estate should really read this I mean this project would not fail just like the first one maybe not release it in theaters even though it would be cool if they did! This Is It Anniversary with never before seen raw footage! They should release it with the days we can choose from whether it would be June 3rd, June 23th and the 24th now that would be something special!

I remembered this:

By dirtydiana27

This message was posted on another forum that I belong to yesterday.

"Hi,

My name is jhon. I will spare a second name as i do not want any lawsuits brought against me by AEG or any company affiliated with them.

I worked as part of the technical team on Michaels This is it production.

Firstly let me just say, Michael was a good man, i bare him no ill will or malice, but the reason for this posting is for a few simple reasons--I am publicly not permitted to talk about any aspect of the this is it production. Everyone who worked on that has been told not to give any kind of public statement, only officials or people who are granted permission by AEG are allowed to discuss publicly about the production. People who are allowed are the obvious ones, such as directors(Kenny etc.) Dancers, a few people from production(set, costume designers), musical director etc, the dancers etc...

Understand this...everything that is being said by these people has been vetted and checked. They are told which details to reveal.

MY main anger and point of this article is 3 main things, that i witnessed but did not see in the dvd movie(that my nephew purchased)

1. Many of the vocals used in this is it movie are not the vocals i heard. Please hear me out.
I heard Michael sing ALL of his songs without playback, in the rehearsals we NEVER USE PLAYBACK. When i was younger and starting out i got a job on Michaels earlier tour in 1991. I worked as a junior in productions, and i witnessed 2 rehearsal sessions.--there was no playback, even though when he had taken the show out of rehearsals and onto the road there was a playback. I am sure you can find rehearsals from an earlier tour on the INTERNET--just look into it-he never uses playback on rehearsals-it is pointless because there is no audience .
Basically from my experience with Michael, he never uses playback in rehearsals.--it is a waste, as there is no audience.

I am unhappy that Kenny did not show Michaels real voice on a few songs.

2. My second problem is that some performances from Michael has been left out. He turned up for around 3 rehearsals a week, out of a 6 day week. And in the end had done around 4 full rehearsals before june 25th.

How it worked was like this---Michael spent time learning the moves with his choreographer, and would come in and rehearse with the dancers on average 1-2 times a week, the 3rd day when he was at rehersals he looked into productions and had costume fittings etc.. When Michael was absent there would be a double, just to step in(so the dancers could rehearse). I blatantly saw this double in the movie, in the Smooth criminal performance. You see, that background(with the towers and building)was fully completed after his death. Any footage of him in-front of those building in smooth criminal is not him, HOWEVER IT IS MICHAEL WHEN THE BACKGROUND IS WHITE. That particular scene was confusing, as they mixed the 2 footages together-the footage of the buildings is used with a Michael step in( a double), and when he is in-front of a white screen that is him.-confusingbut watch that scene again and you will know what i mean.--it is him when he says POW and he is in front of a WHITE screen, BUT IT IS THE DOUBLE WHEN HE IS IN-FRONT OF A 3D BACKGROUND OF BUILDINGS.

Other performances that, after researching it, has been denied. MICHAEL did perform dirty Diana--it was a masterpiece.---granted Michael did not sound all that good, it was only rehearsal.--he did it twice. The set up was excellent.---why AEG are denying it had taken place i do not know.

We are the world was also performed, and heal the world and a few others.

iNFACT IF YOU LOOK HARD ENOUGH ON THE INTERNET YOU WILL FIND FANS THAT HAVE RECORDED HIM PERFORMING DIRTY DIANA(ON THERE PHONES OUTSIDE STAPLE CENTRE), BUT KENNY HAS DENIED THAT HE PERFORMED IT.

I just wanted to let you guys, the real fans, that there is the real footage out there somewhere and one day you will hopefully get to see it.

3. MY third problem with the movie is it did not address the health concerns that we all saw. Not the thinness, Michael, if my memory serves me well has always been thin-this was not a problem. The problems that i saw, was basically Michael had some problem with his feet. After his rehearsal with the dancers, he would usually be in a great deal of pain, from his feet. I don't know if any one can shed some light on this, but someone on set said his skin on his feel tears easily and has become very sensitive-after years of putting them to use i guessed-this is why Michaels dancers were going to do a large number of the heavy routines, with Michael only participating in a few dance routines(such as beat it the way you make me feel), the rest of the time he would be just walking around stage, filling the room with his presence

He was also in great pain from his back. Although this is not in the movie, but on days that Michael was not there randy, don't know his second name but from my understanding at the time, he was the man who was funding this elaborate show, randy was always talking to Kenny about Michaels and his worries about him not completing 50. Randy and Kenny were talking a lot, and made alot of plans in-case his health fails, Randy also hired a doctor for Michael.

Kenny, as instructed by Randy, always made sure the camera's were rolling on the days mj turned up for rehearsals, although he denies this, but these film footages were made as a guarantee, that if something happened he would have something get his investment back on. I don't know if you fans know this, or whether it is common knowledge or not, but Kenny and Randy are cousins(i think distant)

In fact we were all told that if we saw Michael and his entourage we were to send word to Kenny immediately so as he could instruct the camera men to film.

Well i have said my peace...

My message to Michael----Michael you were being subjected to games and spin for most of the latter years of your life, i don't know if you were aware of it, but it continued until the day you died....i hope you have finally found the rest that you deserve.

I have given this page of my final words on the issue of Michael to a friend, who will find the best place to place this piece of writing.

I hope it gives all who read an insight.

Eternal peace and god bless you all."

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/threads/87653-Merged-A-message-from-one-of-Michael-s-techs-on-TII

:fear:

Last edited:
^ I'm not sure about that. This is playback and Michael sings over it. Well, sometimes he sings, sometimes he doesn't. If it's like that in TII that would be one reason for them to overdub it. Though I'd actually rather hear it as it was, in such an unpolished manner - if Michael did not sing full out then so. After all this was rehearsal it doesn't have to be like a concert. I'd rather have it authentic. But I can see that the makers of the movie thought otherwise and thought they had to overdub it if Michael did not sing full out, saving his voice.

Also if the makers of the film didn't over dub it then that would open up a huge flood gate of people saying ''See you can tell he's unhealthy! he can't even sing properly'' and we would have gotten news paper headlines like ''Jackson too drugged up to sing at rehearsals''

Also if the makers of the film didn't over dub it then that would open up a huge flood gate of people saying ''See you can tell he's unhealthy! he can't even sing properly'' and we would have gotten news paper headlines like ''Jackson too drugged up to sing at rehearsals''

Yes, that is exactly why they dubbed it. I can understand that.

The reason for any dubbing was to bridge the gap between a behind the scenes look at rehearsing music and making a concert movie.
Dubbing some stuff was just probably necessary for times where he was being spotty and low on singing.

i wanna see all the unseen rehearsals mentioned above, i cant believe kenny lied. i just wanna get all those tapes and edit them myself for the fans.

How it worked was like this---Michael spent time learning the moves with his choreographer, and would come in and rehearse with the dancers on average 1-2 times a week, the 3rd day when he was at rehersals he looked into productions and had costume fittings etc.. When Michael was absent there would be a double, just to step in(so the dancers could rehearse). I blatantly saw this double in the movie, in the Smooth criminal performance. You see, that background(with the towers and building)was fully completed after his death. Any footage of him in-front of those building in smooth criminal is not him, HOWEVER IT IS MICHAEL WHEN THE BACKGROUND IS WHITE. That particular scene was confusing, as they mixed the 2 footages together-the footage of the buildings is used with a Michael step in( a double), and when he is in-front of a white screen that is him.-confusingbut watch that scene again and you will know what i mean.--it is him when he says POW and he is in front of a WHITE screen, BUT IT IS THE DOUBLE WHEN HE IS IN-FRONT OF A 3D BACKGROUND OF BUILDINGS.

Hang on Michael Jackson DOES perform in front on the building back drop?

http://youtu.be/nAfD15uho-k

The reason for any dubbing was to bridge the gap between a behind the scenes look at rehearsing music and making a concert movie.
Dubbing some stuff was just probably necessary for times where he was being spotty and low on singing.

Yes that too. But surely analogue also has a point.

Hang on Michael Jackson DOES perform in front on the building back drop?

http://youtu.be/nAfD15uho-k

I think he means it wasn't Michael at scenes like 1:28 when you can only see his shadow. And it is Michael when he dances front of the white backdrop and when he performs on the stage. I personally think it was Michael in all scenes because at 1:40 it can be seen that camera is shooting from the front angle. They just finished it later for the movie.

Last edited:
Back