This is It - Lip-synced or Post-production playback?

^^^ Wow, seeing them with their ears on the wall (did not watch the video) sends bad butterflies to my belly. It reminds me of when we were all so happy to finally be able to see him live. There were so many people on ticketmaster that the website would crash. It read something like "Please wait 15 minutes" *five mins or so later* "Please wait 35 minutes" *two mins later* "Please wait 40 mins* etc........ Lol. :)

I recognized it was the demo version when Michael was on the cherry picker but the rest doesn't sound like it.

the segment played in the trial i believe to be live vocals. i mean, why would they play something that isnt live from the night before he passed at a trial deciding the fate of his at the time doctor?

It probably sounds that way because they overlayed/mixed the live band with the demo track.

true, they have each track of each instrument from each rehearsal shot in HD. but the segment of earth song presented in the trial was the only part of the rehearsal shown in the film that has live vocals.

true, they have each track of each instrument from each rehearsal shot in HD. but the segment of earth song presented in the trial was the only part of the rehearsal shown in the film that has live vocals.

of earth song i mean.

the segment played in the trial i believe to be live vocals. i mean, why would they play something that isnt live from the night before he passed at a trial deciding the fate of his at the time doctor?

I didn't compare this to the movie, but listening to it right now, it sounds too perfect to be live and it sounds like the demo, I recall

I didn't compare this to the movie, but listening to it right now, it sounds too perfect to be live and it sounds like the demo, I recall

why would they present dubbed vocals at a trial like that?

TDCAU could have been playback at the rehearsals. Check the upload date. I don't think they started editing the movie that early:

TDCAU could have been playback at the rehearsals. Check the upload date. I don't think they started editing the movie that early:

doesnt mean it was playback at rehearsals, could mean the playback they were preparing to use for the Tour as Michael lip synced during this song on the HIStory Tour

when he sing's ''hoe'' you can hear him singing ''hoeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee'' in the background, maybe that was the live vocals that they hid beneath the playback on the edit? his mouth was to his mic for much longer than the ''hoe'' he sang in the movie..

and the hoo-hooo when he's still singing, tell you anything?

why would they present dubbed vocals at a trial like that?

Well they are using the dubbed BJ rehearsal in the AEG trial. But yes that Earth Song clip is definitely dubbed from the demo. The big give away is that he doesn't sing the 'we've drifted far' line which he also missed in the demo. Compare the two.

Well they are using the dubbed BJ rehearsal in the AEG trial. But yes that Earth Song clip is definitely dubbed from the demo. The big give away is that he doesn't sing the 'we've drifted far' line which he also missed in the demo. Compare the two.

in they dont care about us from the cnn and hollywood scoop july 2nd 09' uploads, you can hear two different voices.

in they dont care about us from the cnn and hollywood scoop july 2nd 09' uploads, you can hear two different voices.

Probably just a different dub track but I was talking about Earth Song.

Im sure most of This is It is multitracked. I have the Smooth Criminal Instrumental This is it

I wish the estate could release the raw footage of rehearsals
I don't think they ever will due to how unhealthy MJ was. The clips in TII are edited well to give the idea that MJ was totally fine. Sure there are probably lots of footage left where MJ looks fine, but I bet there are tons of footage they don't want out.

I know for a fact that the 1st verse of "Smooth Criminal" was lifted straight from the album version (with the vocal hiccups removed), but I thought the fact that MJ actually sang the rest of the song completely live was a big surprise, considering that he's almost never done the song live before. Apparently, he also sang well enough that the audio was left alone and put in the movie. :)

Pentum;3866331 said:
I don't think they ever will due to how unhealthy MJ was. The clips in TII are edited well to give the idea that MJ was totally fine. Sure there are probably lots of footage left where MJ looks fine, but I bet there are tons of footage they don't want out.

Judge Pastor from the Murray trial saw footage from the last week or weeks and except from that day when everyone say Michael seemed to be off ,pastor didn´t see an exhausted,tired man

They saw all the footage, more then 100 hours and there wasn`t footage from a Michael in bad shape.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/07/20/california.conrad.murray.hearing/index.html?iref=allsearch
Los Angeles (CNN) --

The judge will visit Sony Studios soon to review more than a dozen hours of raw video of Jackson's last rehearsals for his "This Is It" tour to decide which clips, if any, will be shown to the jury.

Lawyers for each side spent the past two weeks viewing more than 100 hours of video, narrowing down what they thought was relevant to the case. The prosecution selected 12 hours of video, while the defense identified four.

Flanagan said the video showed him that Jackson was "very talented, that he's pretty good; even on his bad days, he's good."

The defense was looking for clues in the video to show that Jackson was in ill health in his final days, but Flanagan said it was not detectable in his performance video. Jackson also did not appear to be depressed in his final days, he said.

The defense will argue that none of the "This Is It" video is relevant to the criminal trial and would be "a big waste of time."

"It shows him onstage performing," Flanagan said. "I don't know why that's relevant as to what happened the night that he died when he couldn't sleep."

Jackson's death on June 25, 2009, was from an overdose of the surgical anesthetic propofol, combined with other drugs, the Los Angeles coroner ruled.

Murray, whom Jackson hired to care for him as he prepared for his comeback concerts in London, allegedly administered the fatal dose.

Last edited:
Wanna Be Startin Somethin - Live
Jam - Mix of both
They Don't Care About Us - Dubbed with live adlibs
Human Nature - Live
Smooth Criminal - Mix of both
The Way You Make Me Feel - Live intro and the rest is dubbed
Jackson 5 Medley - Live
I Just Can't Stop Loving You - Live
Thriller - Dubbed
Beat It - Live
Black Or White - Live
Earth Song - Dubbed
Billie Jean - Mix Of Both
Man In The Mirror - Mix Of Both

"beat it" was NOT live until the end- it sounds like a "victory/bad tour" live vocal acapella pitched to meet the right key.

glad to see "black or white" was live in the cinema- i was CHUFFED! :D

"beat it" was NOT live until the end- it sounds like a "victory/bad tour" live vocal acapella pitched to meet the right key.

Why would they do that instead of just dubbing the regular studio acapella from the multitrack, just like they did with other songs? Where and why would they get Victory/Bad multis only for this one purpose? (it's clear they don't have tons of them. Wembley masters were given to them by Dave Powell)
Highly unlikely and pointless.

Last edited:

I think it is live but the audio is not from the red shirt date. I think it is from the silver jacket date that they didn't use much footage.

Back