This is It - Lip-synced or Post-production playback?

SkyWalk

Proud Member
In the TII movie were the songs that we hear as playback dubbed over just for the film itself or was the actual song being played within the actual rehearsals? What I mean is look at the Dangerous reversals MJ never needed to sing the songs fully he signs the songs in a type of hight pitch way that doesn't need to use his full range at all, so was this how MJ could of done it in TII but Kenny decided to Dub over the real songs in post-production of the TII film or was MJ just lip-syncing to the track in rehearsals?

Many songs were dubbed for the movie like The Way You Make Me Feel(the beginning was live), Thriller, Earth Song, Billie Jean and Man in the Mirror. Michael sang live in the rehearsals. Here you can here some live vocals in Billie Jean:

It was listed on Wikipedia that almost every song was dubbed over either with a demo acapella,or the actual song's acapella. It's kinda sad,actually,because it would've been nice to have known what Michael really sounded like before his untimely passing.

It was listed on Wikipedia that almost every song was dubbed over either with a demo acapella,or the actual song's acapella. It's kinda sad,actually,because it would've been nice to have known what Michael really sounded like before his untimely passing.

Human Nature was live at it sounds amazing. One of his best vocal performances of that song. :)

Also live were Wanna be starting somthin' Black or White

I'm pretty sure The way you make me feel was all live??

When he starts singing at 2:13 its not live. Its sounds just like TWYMMF from 30th Anniversary concert(that wasn't live either). The slow intro is live.
So is it the album recording or from another recording?

When he starts singing at 2:13 its not live. Its sounds just like TWYMMF from 30th Anniversary concert(that wasn't live either). The slow intro is live.

he sang live in every rehearsal. you can find the audio for twymmf June 3rd on YouTube with unedited live vocals, it's amateur quality and he doesn't sing the whole song but when he does he sounds like Michael from the HIStory Tour Wanna be Startin' Somethin'.

Many songs were dubbed for the movie like The Way You Make Me Feel(the beginning was live), Thriller, Earth Song, Billie Jean and Man in the Mirror. Michael sang live in the rehearsals. Here you can here some live vocals in Billie Jean:

his voice sounds great. why was it dubbed?

So is it the album recording or from another recording?

It could be the album recording with pitch lowered but I'm not sure. It could also be from other recording. They might have re-recorded it for the 30th Anniversary concert so people wouldn't notice that it is playback.

I didn't say that he didn't. I just said that TWYMMF was dubbed for the movie. :)

and I'm also fairly sure he sang in some way on every show he performed, beneath playback when the mic was turned down low, kinda like a rhythm guitar, as he said in meet the vocalists. "it's two tracks, it's my voice with myself" :)

Lol, Wikipedia.

A fair share of the songs were sung live, Human Nature was sung live in full, as previously mentioned. The beginning of TWYMMF before the instrumentation cuts in was live, WBSS was sung majority live. The Jackson 5 Melody was sung majority live. Not to mention all of the fan audio that hit Youtube while he was rehearsing at The Forum and outside of the Staples Center where he's heard singing from outside the walls.

ALL songs were sung live, but some songs were dubbed including JAM, TDCAU (I question some parts though), TWYMMF after intro, Thriller, Earth Song. Parts of SC dubbed, probably parts of MITM and of course BJ

I can completely understand why Kenny dubbed some of the songs to give it that more complete feel as specially as it was to be a cinema release and as we know MJ didn't really sing properly during rehearsals but for me & the fans It would be amazing to see it all raw with MJ's live voice.

In the TII movie were the songs that we hear as playback dubbed over just for the film itself or was the actual song being played within the actual rehearsals? What I mean is look at the Dangerous reversals MJ never needed to sing the songs fully he signs the songs in a type of hight pitch way that doesn't need to use his full range at all, so was this how MJ could of done it in TII but Kenny decided to Dub over the real songs in post-production of the TII film or was MJ just lip-syncing to the track in rehearsals?

This Is It was comprised of MJ's live vocals during rehearsals, acapella studio recordings, and in the case of Earth Song, the demo's vocals.

There are plenty of songs where it's rather obvious he was lip synching to a track and/or the actual rehearsal vocal was too low/weak/etc. So rather than make him look bad in the movie, they could have dubbed it with a better vocal (as it was simply rehearsals).
Earth Song was probably him vocally phoning it in, and so they probably used a recording that would fit (I'm sure he wasn't actually lip synching the demo vocal track in the moment).

Regardless of what he sung live or not in rehearsals, I'd imagine he would have done the same amount of lip synching as he did in History tour.

He sang live in rehearsals anyway, but the final product would have been different.

his voice sounds great. why was it dubbed?

It was probably dubbed because he was simply rehearsing, and may have been spotty on the singing (miming parts, or singing too low, etc).

But, it's obvious more so than others where they kept the actual live vocals from those days.
Ones that stand out are WBSS and HN, and of course IJCSLY.

The Way You Make Me Feel DEFINITELY is a mixture of different things.
He sings live on parts, but when you can tell his voice (from a vocal recording) was pitched down a bit and he sounds deeper. Totally dubbed.

Anyhoo, they did it for an overall polished presentation of the movie.

So in answer to my question some songs were dubbed during the editing of the FILM and not lip-synced over a track playing during the actual rehearsals!?

Well, we'll never know because we weren't there or have the raw tapes.

But it would appear for the most part, he was singing live at the rehearsals. But there could have been a few performances where the band and MJ would be rehearsing to a pre-recorded vocal track.

Wanna Be Startin Somethin - Live
Jam - Mix of both
They Don't Care About Us - Dubbed with live adlibs
Human Nature - Live
Smooth Criminal - Mix of both
The Way You Make Me Feel - Live intro and the rest is dubbed
Jackson 5 Medley - Live
I Just Can't Stop Loving You - Live
Thriller - Dubbed
Beat It - Live
Black Or White - Live
Earth Song - Dubbed
Billie Jean - Mix Of Both
Man In The Mirror - Mix Of Both

So will we ever get to see the raw tapes of rehearsals where nothing is dubbed or edited?

Thanks for asking that q', I was listening to This is It the other day and wondered the same.

Also live were Wanna be starting somthin' Black or White

I'm pretty sure The way you make me feel was all live??

Black Or White was live.
The intro and outro of TWYMMF is live, after the intro the song itself is just dubbed recording but with lowered pitch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu6kmPB3uTM&feature=youtu.be 3:53 and on is live too (that's what I called outro) "come on give it to me hee heee one more time.."

It was probably dubbed because he was simply rehearsing, and may have been spotty on the singing (miming parts, or singing too low, etc).

But, it's obvious more so than others where they kept the actual live vocals from those days.
Ones that stand out are WBSS and HN, and of course IJCSLY.

The Way You Make Me Feel DEFINITELY is a mixture of different things.
He sings live on parts, but when you can tell his voice (from a vocal recording) was pitched down a bit and he sounds deeper. Totally dubbed.

Anyhoo, they did it for an overall polished presentation of the movie.

their must be a Seperate track with just Michael's live voice right? they should turn it up beyond loud on the editing and have the instrumentals quiter in my opinion.

Yes. That is what they did. :)

more live vocals for Billie Jean are featured on the menu :D I hope if their's another release in the future, they'll release the raw tapes FOR THE FANS as written in the opening sequence of the Movie

Back