The most infamous trial since O.J. Simpson's murder trial ; Casey Anthony

I'm appalled. I've watched the trial since day 1 and I believe she's guilty. My mom and I were listening to the verdict and our mouths dropped. I began to cry for this little girl. I'm so sorry for Caylee. I feel like no one really thought about her. For the defense, it was all about winning the game. I mean they had a champagne party and celebrated. Yet, a child is still dead! If Casey didn't kill Caylee and dispose her body in a swamp, then who did? I think instead of celebrating for herself, she should be searching for the person who did this. This celebration kind of behavior disgusts me. I'm truly disturbed.
For the record, there was more evidence that the prosecutors were going to provide but weren't allowed to present in court for no said reason.

Her behavior is still selfish. It wasn't about Caylee at all. It's been about Casey. There's NO justice served for the poor, innocent little victim, Caylee. However, Baez is bowing his head to justice for CASEY. CASEY?! This is outrageous. I truly believe the jury messed up. I'm not going off of media bias. I've followed this since day 1 and I juggled back and forth with what I thought. I believe Casey is the reason for Caylee's death but I don't know to what manner. I've been leaning more towards the accidental side but her lying and partying really gets me wondering. It's a shady situation.

And I know there's going to be one person to bring Michael's trial into this and compare it this one to it. But I'm sorry, it's NOT the same deal. Same with the OJ case (though I think he's guilty as well). Everybody is comparing this to OJ when in fact it is not the same. Every trial and case is different. You can't compare one to another.

This makes me really scared for CA vs. Murray. Pick a wise jury, California. Please.

The thing is that the jury may agree with you that Casey Anthony was responsible for Caylee's death. But, the jury did not agree beyond reasoable doubt that Casey Anthony intentionally murdered Caylee, which the prosecution failed to prove.

The thing is that the jury may agree with you that Casey Anthony was responsible for Caylee's death. But, the jury did not agree beyond reasoable doubt that Casey Anthony intentionally murdered Caylee, which the prosecution failed to prove.

Very true. But I think she should have been charged with something for her death. Like I said, I am wanting to believe it was all an accident and Casey panicked. But I feel there should have been a manslaughter charge of some sort. Death penalty? No, I disagree with that because I'd rather her live with her consequences. I think the death penalty was asking for too much. My opinion though.

In my opinion, the prosecution did a fantastic job with what they had. The defense did a great job too, but I felt they were a little messy in the beginning with changing their stories and accusing George Anthony. However, both the defense's and prosecution's closing arguments were extremely well done...and I think that's what it all came down to for the jury.

As far as I'm concerned, this....woman got away with murder. What do you expect from the state of Florida? They couldn't even get the 2000 Presidential elections right.

Not trying to sound sexist or anything, but if this was a man up on trial, there would have been a guilty verdict and death would have been the sentence

Very true. But I think she should have been charged with something for her death. Like I said, I am wanting to believe it was all an accident and Casey panicked. But I feel there should have been a manslaughter charge of some sort. Death penalty? No, I disagree with that because I'd rather her live with her consequences. I think the death penalty was asking for too much. My opinion though.

In my opinion, the prosecution did a fantastic job with what they had. The defense did a great job too, but I felt they were a little messy in the beginning with changing their stories and accusing George Anthony. However, both the defense's and prosecution's closing arguments were extremely well done...and I think that's what it all came down to for the jury.

I don't think the prosecution did a very good job at all. They focused so much on circumstantial evidence, like the google searches, that they couldn't even get a guilty on the manslaughter charge.

Michael didn't smile when he got his verdict. I'm sure people who disagree with the verdict for Caylee's case are partly upset because she smiled after she got her verdict.

As far as I'm concerned, this....woman got away with murder. What do you expect from the state of Florida? They couldn't even get the 2000 Presidential elections right.

Not trying to sound sexist or anything, but if this was a man up on trial, there would have been a guilty verdict and death would have been the sentence

No, he wouldn't. The evidence was primarily circumstantial, and the prosecution failed to prove how Casey would have murdered her daughter. No proof, no conviction. Simple enough. Her DNA wasn't even found anywhere on Caylee's body, nor was the method of death able to be conclusively proven. It has nothing to do with sexism, celebrity (Anthony is not even a celebrity--why are people comparing her trial to O.J. Simpson's?), etc. At the end of the day, there were enough holes in the prosecution's case to cast very reasonable doubt as to whether or not Anthony murdered Caylee. Therefore, I agree with the verdict.

I persoanlly think the jury wanted to go home. There was 33 days of testimony and 400 pieces of evidence. There is no way the jury went through all of that in just 10 hours. They had it made up in their heads what they thought the verdict was and when it was time to deliberate, I think they gave their opinion, went over a few pieces and called it not guilty.

I think this is a problem with the American judicial system. When people are in a hurry to go home and it is a very long case, they are more likely to not convict, just in case. Here, you only are payed from your employer for 10 days (at least it is 10 days at my job). That means you are working for that state wage (in this case) for 23 days. Who wants to make $40 a day for 23 days. That's almost no money. That's like not getting paid for almost a month. Who can afford that? And then to expect them to spend another 5 days or so to painstakingly go through all of that evidence? No way!

I've heard of people at work talking about court cases that have taken too long and they just wanted to get back home before they were being paid state wages. It's ridiculous!

This is no ordinary case, though. This is a case regarding the death of a small child. I doubt all 12 jurors were unscrupulous and heartless enough to sacrifice justice in exchange for going home. Since none of us were in the room with them, we ought to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they were all good faith.

This is no ordinary case, though. This is a case regarding the death of a small child. I doubt all 12 jurors were unscrupulous and heartless enough to sacrifice justice in exchange for going home. Since none of us were in the room with them, we ought to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they were all good faith.

I agree. It's possible that some of the jurors just wanted to go home, but I doubt that all 12 were thinking that way.

Considering the case (death of a cute small girl, and the defendant seems like a horrible, selfish person), if the jury was more concerned with going home than with justice, isn't it just as likely that they could have quickly found her guilty?

Tom Jicha’s TV Plus

« Previous Post

Juror tells ABC: We were sick about acquitting Casey

<small>by: Tom Jicha</small> July 6th, 2011 | 5:06 PM
The media blackout by the Casey Anthony jury has been broken.
Jennifer Ford, who was juror No. 3, told ABC News in an interview that will be on &#8220;World News With Diane Sawyer&#8221; Wednesday, &#8220;I did not say she was innocent. I just said there was not enough evidence. If you cannot prove what the crime was, you cannot determine what the punishment should be.&#8221;
Ford went on, according to ABC, &#8220;Everyone wonders why we didn&#8217;t speak to the media right away. It was because we were sick to our stomach to get that verdict. We were crying and not just the women. It was emotional and we weren&#8217;t ready. We wanted to do it with integrity and not contribute to the sensationalism of the trial.&#8221;

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/tv/2011/07/juror-tells-abc-we-were-sick-about-acquitting-casey.html

Diane Sawyer isn't the first name which comes to mind when I think of the word "integrity," so I would advise the jurors to stay far away from her and her ilk. With that said, I agree with the fact that Anthony is no saint, however, the prosecution was unable to prove conclusively how Anthony would murder her kid, therefore, the acquittal was necessary. It's the way things ought to be done, even if the defendant isn't the most sympathetic/likable person.

I honestly hadn't heard of this story until a couple of days ago, so I won't comment just yet until I've looked through it all, but all I can say is what a poor child. From what I've seen so far, I believe she got the wrong sentence.

Diane Sawyer isn't the first name which comes to mind when I think of the word "integrity," so I would advise the jurors to stay far away from her and her ilk. With that said, I agree with the fact that Anthony is no saint, however, the prosecution was unable to prove conclusively how Anthony would murder her kid, therefore, the acquittal was necessary. It's the way things ought to be done, even if the defendant isn't the most sympathetic/likable person.

I agree with you. We are talking about a first degree murder charge with death sentence. If the prosecution fail to prove beyond reasonable doubt that Casey Anthony murdered Caylee, the jury can only hand out a not guilty verdict. I'm actually glad that the jury did not convict Casey Anthony becasue she's unlikable.

It is important for people to not condemn the jury. They did their jobs right. They were picked because of their supposed neutral stance. When compared to most of us, the jurors were less influenced by the information received from the press. They were sequestered throughout the trial. They were not influenced by popular opinions.

Was the jury right on this one? Only Casey Anthony can tell. The American judicial system is not flawless.

I am not saying that they were sacrificing justice. I am saying they already had their minds made up before they went into jury deliberations and they wanted to exit quickly. Though I was not in the room with them, it is physically impossible to go through 33 days of testimony and 400 pieces of evidence in 10 hours. Impossible. Which means they did not go over the case completely when they were in jury deliberations. Which means they already had their ideas going in to deliberations. I am not saying all 12 of them felt this way either. But let's face it, all of that testimony and all of that evidence is daunting to go over. I am sure they felt they did the best they could lawfully.

Whether you want to believe it or not, how long a person spends on jury cases can effect the outcome. Having served on a jury here and having listened to other people and their cases, I can say 100% that people are more motivated to come up with a verdict and will even go with the majority when you start effecting their income. Many people are one paycheck away from being homeless in th US. When you ask them to effectively give up their paychecks for a month, it is going to effect how people react.

Have you ever seen the movie called something like the 12 jurors or something like that. (Sorry) The movie shows how people react on a jury. when theyw ent to deliberate, people had excuses like, I need to go to this baseball game, I have work to do so I cannot be out long, etc. If it had not been for the love juror who convinced the others to relook at the evidence, the person would have been convicted. It really takes patience and an open mind when on a jury.

I am willing to give the jurors the benefit of the doubt. However, I am saying this is something that is more common than you think here and it really needs to be addressed. People are gung ho until you start messing with their money.

Last edited:
so for counts 4-7 lieing to polce....Casey get 4 years consecutive to serve...taking into account time served and good behavior....she will be out sometime late july early august.

Casey Anthony Sentenced To One Year In Jail

r-CASEY-ANTHONY-SENTENCING-large570.jpg

First Posted: 07/7/11 09:41 AM ET Updated: 07/7/11 09:51 AM ET

React
follow-arrow.png

Amazing
Inspiring
Funny
Scary
Hot
Crazy
Important
Weird

Read more
follow-arrow.png

Casey Anthony , Casey Anthony Judge , Casey Gets One Year , Lying To The Police , Belvin Perry , Casey Anthony Free , Casey Anthony Sentencing , Casey Anthony Trial , Orlando , Slidepollajax , Crime News

share this story

Get Crime Alerts
Submit this story

Casey Anthony was sentenced to one year in prison for lying to police during the investigation of the death of her daughter Caylee.
Anthony was acquitted of killing her two-year-old daughter Caylee on Tuesday, but returned to court in Orlando on Thursday for sentencing on four lesser counts of lying to police officers about the disappearance of her child. Those lies launched one of the largest searches ever for a missing child.
The misdemeanor charges each carried a maximum sentence of one year in prison, but Chief Judge Belvin Perry had leeway in deciding how much time Anthony would spend behind bars, if any, or if she would be set free..
The judge opted to sentence her to one year in jail, plus the time the nearly three years she'd already served. Perry also hit her with $4,000 in fines.
Anthony's defense team tried to persuade Perry that the four misdemeanors occurred during one day of questioning by police and therefore should be counted as a single crime. To punish her on four separate counts would violate double jeopardy rules, the defense said.
But Perry appeared unmoved.
"As a result of those four distinct lies, law enforcement expended a great deal of of time energy and manpower looking for young Caylee Marie Anthony," he said.
Advertisement

Since the death of her daughter in 2008, Anthony has spent almost three years behind bars.
Wearing a blue v-neck sweater, Anthony, 25, at times smiled when she entered the court, but appeared stoic when the hearing began and expressionless when the verdict was handed down.
The jury deliberated for eleven hours over two days before finding Anthony not guilty of first degree murder, manslaughter and child abuse after the monthlong trial that captivated the country.
Anthony's story to police about the disappearance of her daughter changed several times. She initially told authorities that Caylee had been kidnapped by a babysitter, but her defense attorneys argued during the trial that the toddler drowned in the family's pool.
The prosecution alleged that Anthony suffocated Caylee, whose remains were found buried near the family's home in Orlando. Photos later emerged of Anthony partying and competing in a hot body contest during the period when she claimed that Caylee had disappeared.

Last edited:
were is the Justice for that poor baby girl....it is just so sad..I am speechless.

I am not saying that they were sacrificing justice. I am saying they already had their minds made up before they went into jury deliberations and they wanted to exit quickly. Though I was not in the room with them, it is physically impossible to go through 33 days of testimony and 400 pieces of evidence in 10 hours. Impossible. Which means they did not go over the case completely when they were in jury deliberations. Which means they already had their ideas going in to deliberations. I am not saying all 12 of them felt this way either. But let's face it, all of that testimony and all of that evidence is daunting to go over. I am sure they felt they did the best they could lawfully.

Whether you want to believe it or not, how long a person spends on jury cases can effect the outcome. Having served on a jury here and having listened to other people and their cases, I can say 100% that people are more motivated to come up with a verdict and will even go with the majority when you start effecting their income. Many people are one paycheck away from being homeless in th US. When you ask them to effectively give up their paychecks for a month, it is going to effect how people react.

Have you ever seen the movie called something like the 12 jurors or something like that. (Sorry) The movie shows how people react on a jury. when theyw ent to deliberate, people had excuses like, I need to go to this baseball game, I have work to do so I cannot be out long, etc. If it had not been for the love juror who convinced the others to relook at the evidence, the person would have been convicted. It really takes patience and an open mind when on a jury.

I am willing to give the jurors the benefit of the doubt. However, I am saying this is something that is more common than you think here and it really needs to be addressed. People are gung ho until you start messing with their money.

The film you describe sounds similar to the Reginald Rose play, "Twelve Angry Men", which also got adapted into a film. Is that the play you had in mind? If so, I have read the play and watched the film.

However, it would have been just as easy for the jurors to all walk in with their minds made up with the converse verdict like in the play--they could have all found her guilty, and sent her to her death, which would have probably been the "expected" verdict. Given the media's sensationalist reporting and pro-prosecution bias, the guilty verdict would have probably been much easier to justify in the eyes of the public despite lack of conclusive evidence indicating so (AFAWK) than an acquittal.

I agree regarding the economy shifting people's psyche towards a more selfish manner of thinking due to the pressure for survival, however, we ought to give the jurors the benefit of the doubt nonetheless. Since we were not in the room with them, we don't know which pieces of evidence they went over and which they left out, or for what reasons. Sometimes, "evidence" given is of dubious value. In any case, they were selected to look over the evidence pertaining to this case, and they have spoken. Whether right or wrong, we ought to honour their decision as being of good faith.

If they had their minds made already & we all know they did because about half were taking notes during the trial & half were not. Can't someone do something. Look, if they all or 1 juror felt pressured... that is against the jurors' rights. I'm sure if one went to the judge & explained he / she felt pressured, there has to be something that can be done. No??

to clarify my previous post stating that Casey will be released the end of July beginning of august.....well now they have officially stated that she will be released on July 13th....what a pity....he served about as many days in prison as Caylee lived on this earth.

I'm not able to grasp how this person can have a smirk on her face when her child is DEAD. IF that was my child, I wouldn't be able to live with my conscious and guilt and even if I were not guilty I wouldn't be able to have a constant smirk on my face. Seriously SMDH

I kind of get why the jury felt that there was insufficient evidence to convict Casey of murder/manslaughter. But my mother was questioning why Casey wasn't found guilty of aggravated child abuse, what with her not reporting her daughter missing for a month and then partying while she was missing, etc. That seems like some kind of child abuse. But then I Googled the definition of aggravated child abuse according to Florida laws and I think I see why they couldn't convict her of this. There was no physical evidence of abuse:

http://www.richardhornsby.com/crimes/children/aggravated-child-abuse.html

Definition of Aggravated Child Abuse

The crime of Aggravated Child Abuse can be committed in one of three ways by either:

1. Committing an aggravated battery on a child;
2. Willfully torturing, maliciously punishing, or willfully and unlawfully caging a child; or
3. Knowingly or willfully abusing a child and in so doing causing great bodily harm, permanent disability, or permanent disfigurement to the child.

But why wasn't she charged with child neglect at least? Don't her actions (or in actions) fall under some kind of crime?

I'm not able to grasp how this person can have a smirk on her face when her child is DEAD. IF that was my child, I wouldn't be able to live with my conscious and guilt and even if I were not guilty I wouldn't be able to have a constant smirk on my face. Seriously SMDH

She just learned she will not be on death row. A reason to smile I suppose. I think it's strange to think that grieving people can't smile, especially after years have passed.

http://www.orlandose...0,4949678.story
A tall tree in the same area where Caylee Marie Anthony's remains were found was struck by lightning this afternoon &#8212; just hours after her mother learned she would be released from jail next week.
Lightning strike at Caylee memorial 'could be a sign from the angels' | Photo

<table cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
63073552.jpg
Lighting struck a pine tree next to the shrine to Caylee Anthony at the site where her remains were discovered on Suburban Drive. (GEORGE SKENE, ORLANDO SENTINEL / July 8, 2011)
</td></tr></tbody></table>

By Bianca Prieto and Arelis R. Hernández, Orlando Sentinel 6:00 p.m. EDT, July 7, 2011

A tall tree in the same area where Caylee Marie Anthony's remains were found was struck by lightning this afternoon &#8212; just hours after her mother learned she would be released from jail next week.
"It could be a sign from the angels that they aren't happy with what's happened," said 40-year-old Keyla Lugo of Orlando, who has visited the memorial in the Chickasaw Oaks subdivision twice this week. "It's a sad day for Orlando, for Caylee and for justice. The rain, the lightning, the storm &#8212; it's the heavens indicating they aren't happy."
The vacant lot on Suburban Drive has sprouted a makeshift memorial of teddy bears and flowers &#8212; a magnet for thousands since the skeletonized remains of the 2-year-old were found there in December 2008.

"God has spoken. Casey's guilty," said Nicole Perez of Vero Beach as she walked to the mosquito-infested site beneath a steady rain. Perez and her colleague Michelle Cooper of West Palm Beach decided to stop after attending a business meeting in town.
As Cooper peered up at the exposed white bark of the pine tree she said: "That is what I call Karma."
<hr class="hr-promo"> Pictures: Casey Anthony trial and aftermath <hr class="hr-promo">

Tammy Vicino decided to take her two twin boys to pay their respects to the dead toddler before they left for their Rhode Island home.
'It's eerie," Vicino said, adding that the mark left by the lightning strike symbolizes celestial justice for Caylee because "there was no justice here on Earth."
The tree did not catch fire.
Casey Anthony, 25, was accused of killing her daughter but a jury Tuesday found her not guilty of first-degree murder, aggravated manslaughter and aggravated child abuse.
She was convicted of four counts of lying to law enforcement and learned Thursday that she would likely be released from the Orange County Jail on Wednesday.
Arelis Hernandez of the Sentinel staff contributed to this report. bprieto@tribune.com or 407-420-5620.

orlandosentinel said:

"It could be a sign from the angels that they aren't happy with what's happened," said 40-year-old Keyla Lugo of Orlando, who has visited the memorial in the Chickasaw Oaks subdivision twice this week. "It's a sad day for Orlando, for Caylee and for justice. The rain, the lightning, the storm &#8212; it's the heavens indicating they aren't happy."

The vacant lot on Suburban Drive has sprouted a makeshift memorial of teddy bears and flowers &#8212; a magnet for thousands since the skeletonized remains of the 2-year-old were found there in December 2008.

"God has spoken. Casey's guilty," said Nicole Perez of Vero Beach as she walked to the mosquito-infested site beneath a steady rain. Perez and her colleague Michelle Cooper of West Palm Beach decided to stop after attending a business meeting in town.

As Cooper peered up at the exposed white bark of the pine tree she said: "That is what I call Karma."

Pictures: Casey Anthony trial and aftermath

Tammy Vicino decided to take her two twin boys to pay their respects to the dead toddler before they left for their Rhode Island home.

'It's eerie," Vicino said, adding that the mark left by the lightning strike symbolizes celestial justice for Caylee because "there was no justice here on Earth."

The tree did not catch fire.

Casey Anthony, 25, was accused of killing her daughter but a jury Tuesday found her not guilty of first-degree murder, aggravated manslaughter and aggravated child abuse.

She was convicted of four counts of lying to law enforcement and learned Thursday that she would likely be released from the Orange County Jail on Wednesday.

Arelis Hernandez of the Sentinel staff contributed to this report. bprieto@tribune.com or 407-420-5620.

I dunno. Lightning struck a tall tree in my neighbourhood just last night. Perhaps it's a sign the angels are not happy with me or something...

Honestly, I hate those kind of stories. As much as I respect people's rights to post their own views, something like that hardly qualifies as admissible, and certainly does not qualify as valid evidence that Anthony is guilty, or that the jury cast their verdict incorrectly. That kind of story is under the same category as Jesus' face appearing on a burnt toaster strudel. It's utterly meaningless, and pretty offensive to the presumed integrity of our justice system.

By the way, among the things this article failed to mention:

-Trees are natural lightning rods
-Not all trees which are struck by lightning catch fire, otherwise, forested areas would probably be permanently ablaze during the summertime
-Nasty thunder storms are typical in the summer, especially in tropical/warm areas like the state of Florida
-If "the angels" were so bent on worldly justice, why is George W. Bush alive? Anthony may or may not have murdered her own child, but Bush certainly sent thousands to their deaths for no real reason, not to mention he raped and murdered the American economy. Where's the lightning now?

Cooper obviously has no idea about the concept of Karma--it has nothing to do with lightning striking trees. Had lightning struck Anthony through some sort of courtroom miracle upon her acquittal, I would be far more willing to entertain this "heaven's fury" nonsense, and Cooper's comments on karmic justice, etc.

It must be one slow-ass news day for the Orlando Sentinel, if they're willing to put their name on such drivel. This sounds like something which would have come straight out of The Sun.

Regarding T-Mez's statements, I thoroughly agree with all he's said. What an intelligent guy.

Last edited:
^^^I agree with you on that one Mikage. Lighteneing hitting her through the courtroom would probably be a tell tell sign.
I also think we have to be careful quoting people like Gloria Alred and Nancy Grace as examples that Cayse is guilty when we as MJ fans are aware from his case that they are biased opportunists who have no problem bending the truth and ignoring facts to come to their version of the truth. Honestly, with their track record, it would probably be best to question whatever conclusion they come up with.

^Totally agree! Thanks for pointing that out.
Nancy Grace looks possesed. She scares me.

^^^I agree with you on that one Mikage. Lighteneing hitting her through the courtroom would probably be a tell tell sign.
I also think we have to be careful quoting people like Gloria Alred and Nancy Grace as examples that Cayse is guilty when we as MJ fans are aware from his case that they are biased opportunists who have no problem bending the truth and ignoring facts to come to their version of the truth. Honestly, with their track record, it would probably be best to question whatever conclusion they come up with.

Exactly! Nancy Grace is far from speaking the truth. The goals of so-called legal analysts on TV are never about the truth or justice. One word: RATING.

^Totally agree! Thanks for pointing that out.
Nancy Grace looks possesed. She scares me.

Back