The Michael Jackson Chart Watch

Bad by 1991 had sold 19 million copies outside the United States, to date it's only certified for 10 million. Meaning it's eligible for 10-12 million units internationally along with another 2 million in the United States. For Dangerous it also sold 19 million outside the US by 1994. Since they've sold more since then, they are both at international sales of 20 million each.

If Bad was certified up to date it should be at 35 million
If Dangerous was certified up to date it should be at 32 million
These are the figures that were both claimed for them, meaning those were likely True. Thriller in 2009 was claimed to have sold 70 million worldwide, it was certified 29x Platinum in 2009 meaning it's international sales were at 40 million. Thriller has only been certified for 17 million internationally when it was already at 27 million before the release of Dangerous. 1/2
GSOtDF2agAQ8us4

Bad by 1991 had sold 19 million copies outside the United States, to date it's only certified for 10 million. Meaning it's eligible for 10-12 million units internationally along with another 2 million in the United States. For Dangerous it also sold 19 million outside the US by 1994. Since they've sold more since then, they are both at international sales of 20 million each.

If Bad was certified up to date it should be at 35 million
If Dangerous was certified up to date it should be at 32 million
These are the figures that were both claimed for them, meaning those were likely True. Thriller in 2009 was claimed to have sold 70 million worldwide, it was certified 29x Platinum in 2009 meaning it's international sales were at 40 million. Thriller has only been certified for 17 million internationally when it was already at 27 million before the release of Dangerous. 1/2
GSOtDF2agAQ8us4
Based on this research, Thriller has sold over 77 million. Bad has sold 35 million and Dangerous has sold 32 million

Last edited:
Michael Jackson Essential Collection - UK Album Chart - number 14 - with no promotion. So just on streams alone. This is what people are listening to! I have emailed uk radio stations to point this out! And asked for more play. Can all uk fans do the same please. Like radio. 2. Thanks Ross

@kxthrills

"Billie Jean streams evolution since it reached 1 Billion streams on Spotify:
Nov 25, 2021: 1 Billion
Apr 27, 2022: 1.1 Billion
Sep 16, 2022: 1.2 Billion
Jan 28, 2023: 1.3 Billion
May 31, 2023: 1.4 Billion
Sep 26, 2023: 1.5 Billion
Jan 17, 2024: 1.6 Billion
Apr 25, 2024: 1.7 Billion
Jul 19, 2024: 1.8 Billion"

I still can’t evaluate those streaming numbers. Billie Jean probably turned up in lots of party playlists which does not mean people are actively searching out the song it just comes on like it comes on on the radio.
HIStory gaining 100 000 streams in 1 day? That is not a lot is it, it has 30 songs so in theory each song was played like 3000 times.

Reality is different imo. Modern radio stations only occasionally play one of the Holy 3 of Thriller and nothing else. Last week a friend of mine visited Madame Tussauds wax museum she said there was a huge waiting line for people wanting a picture with wax Harry Styles while she could just walk in and get a picture with MJ (He looked awful btw, not a likeness at all).

I probably sound negative again but I doubt the Streaming numbers paint a good picture of Michael’s popularity. I often have the feeling we are celebrating something artificial and meaningless.

Reactions: MJ5
I probably sound negative again but I doubt the Streaming numbers paint a good picture of Michael’s popularity. I often have the feeling we are celebrating something artificial and meaningless.
Yes really, I hope you are not on the way to depression.;) The numbers don't lie and reflect Michael's continued success. Streaming, sales and chart representation, everything is beyond impressive.

What a misleading title! Two top 10 albums in the R&B chart not nationwide! In other words these are sales below 5000.

Back